Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

• 1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 71/100
  • 2. Read a female author The Paper Magician - Charlie N. Holmberg
  • 3. The non-white author How to Be Black - Baratunde Thurston
  • 4. Philosophy
  • 5. History
  • 6. An essay
  • 7. A collection of poetry
  • 8. Something post-modern
  • 9. Something absurdist Cold Cereal - Adam Rex
  • 10. The Blind Owl
  • 11. Something on either hate or love - Data, A Love Story - Amy Webb
  • 12. Something dealing with space [/s- New Earth - Ben Bova
  • 13. Something dealing with the unreal The Books of Magic - Neil Gaiman
  • 14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
  • 15. Something published this year or the past three months The Scarlet Gospels - Clive Barker
  • 16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson
  • 17. A play
  • 18. Biography Dirty Daddy - Bob Saget
  • 19. The color red - Red Rising - Pierce Brown
  • 20. Something banned or censored Lord of the Flies
  • 21. Short story(s) McSweenys #46 -Ed Dave Eggers
  • 22. [s] A mystery The Thin Man - Dashiell Hammett
  • 23. 10% Rereads 7/71
  • 24. "Old Books" 7/71

crusoe
57 - Roald Dahl - The BFG - I read this to my kid at night over a few weeks. It was one of those books I read as a kid, but I didn't remember a whole lot about it. As a kid, I can see why I would have enjoyed it, but it lost some of its magic as a grownup... its easy to see why this one didn't become a movie.

58 - William Golding - Lord of the Flies - I read this, considering if I wanted to teach it or not. Ultimately, this one is a bit too tough for my kiddos, with the language and all, but down the road I might want to incorporate it. It's a fantastic book though, and you can see so many things having been inspired by it.

59 -Anne Frank - The Diary of Anne Franl I am 32 years old. I have a degree in English, and I've been teaching middle school for 6 years now and I have never read this. It is one of those books everybody reads. I will probably teach this one. I like how raw it is, and Anne is actually quite clever and witty. Without context, it probably isn't a big deal, but I feel like I'm going to break a few minds, as my kids are all inner-city and they spend tons of time on Civil Rights and none on WW2.

60 - Sir Walter Scott- Ivanhoe. An okay adventure story. It has some really fun and interesting elements, the Robin Hood connection is a blast, but perhaps the most dissapointing thing is that the protagonist isn't in a vast majority of the story - and Scott took the easy way out when it come to writing action scenes, cutting them out, or having a character describe it to another.

61 Frank Miller - Ronin: There is a run of Graphic Novels coming up, as I needed a break. Overall, I didn't really love Ronin. There were some cool and interesting parts, but the overall premise was just sort of silly. Some of Miller's art was gorgeous, other moments hard to read. I just don't love Frank Miller all that much I suppose.

62. Andy Weir - The Martian - I Loved this book. It was so much fun to read, and the fact that it made an attempt to have some connection to scientific accuracy was a huge added bonus. I stayed up late, late into the night reading this one. It was like being a kid again. I dismissed this as being poppy trend fiction, but it really deserves the attention it gets.

63 - 66: Brian Wood - DMZ : I re-read the entire series of DMZ. It is 12 volumes, but I only counted it as four, as those last four I read for the first time. Since i started DMZ, I have really loved this book. It might not be a game changer like Y The Last Man, Preacher, or Sandman, but it is a really strong series. It's overall tone and feel is unique. The ending is really bittersweet, but it is one of my favorite series.

67 Daniel O'Malley - The Rook: Also an amazingly fun book that I spent hours into the night reading. I got it on my kindle based on the buzz, but the summary on the back didn't really excite me. It seemed like a lot of old ideas and cliches thrown together. It is... but it comes together in a way that was really enjoyable and felt fresh.

68 - 70: Neil Gaiman - Sandman (Vol 1-3): i started reading Sandman, which I have never read before. I have enjoyed nearly all of it. It is really, really well done. I can see how it was ground breaking at the time, but it doesn't ignite the same passion that other Vertigo books have. I will finish it, but I don't feel inclined to rush.

71 - Michael Connelly - The Last Coyote: Trying to detox from all of the old classics with a really light mystery/thriller. I really enjoy Connelly's work. Again, no new ground is being broken by the Harry Bosch novels, but they are still really well done..

I still need to track down my wildcard "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" but in the meantime, with my job starting back up this week, I'm probably going to focus on some lighter, quicker reads...and once the school year is under way try and focus on finishing off the book list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonotoneKimi
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't been reading much and really neglected keeping up-to-date. Now it's hard to remember details of some of these!

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. [36/52]
2. Read a female author: Ancillary Sword (Ann Leckie)
3. The non-white author: Half of a Yellow Sun (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay: Essays (George Orwell)
7. A collection of poetry
8. Something post-modern: Invisble Cities (Italo Calvino)
9. Something absurdist: The Outsider (Albert Camus)
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
11. Something on either hate or love: Of Human Bondage (W. Somerset Maugham)
12. Something dealing with space: Ancillary Justice (Ann Leckie)
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard: Dispatches (Michael Herr)
15. Something published this year or the past three months: Germany Memories of a Nation (Neil MacGregor)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time: Troubles (J.G. Farrell)
17. A play: The Silver Tassie (Sean O'Casey)
18. Biography
19. The color red: Red Rising (Pierce Brown)
20. Something banned or censored: Borstal Boy (Brendan Behan)
21. Short story(s): Sword of Destiny (Andrzej Sapkowski)
22. A mystery

29. Fatherland (Robert Harris)
This was reasonably entertaining from what I remember. The POV character is a dissatisfied police detective in an imagined 1960s Nazi Germany. While investigating the murder of a party official he uncovers disturbing truths about what events which occurred during WWII putting his own life in jeopardy.

30. Black Like Me (John Howard Griffin)
A white man passes himself as a black man and travels around the depth south in the late 1950s. This book was both interesting and disturbing, the sense of menace and danger when he travelled into Alabama was particularly visceral.

31. Sword of Destiny (Andrzej Sapkowski)
I read this in preparation for playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. This book is a loosely related set of short stories. I would recommend if you are interested in The Witcher Universe.

32. Blood Song (Anthony Ryan)
This was a reread, since I remembered liking it and had planned to read the series now that it is complete. I was surprised just how little I remembered of the book, especially the formulaic training section. Didn't like it as much this time, but was still entertaining.

33. Player of Games (Iain M. Banks)
This is a paperback which I've had sitting around for perhaps 5 years, I picked it up after reading Consider Phlebas. I started it back then, but did not like the opening at all. I still don't like the opening, but once it got going, which for me was when the Game was introduced, it was a great book.

34. Use of Weapons (Iain M. Banks)
Another book in The Culture series. This one has an unusual structure. It skips between passages covering current events and past events. I don't want to spoil anything, great book. Comment related to the ending: Even after the chapter where Zakalwe shoots himself in the head, I didn't quite figure out what was going on. Almost as slow as Sma!

35. The Outsider (Albert Camus)
This was surprising. Merseault seems so passive and uninvolved in his own life. This was bleak but strangely comforting.

36. The Shadow Child (Judith Lennox)
On the eve of WWI, Alix is holidaying in France with family and loses her two year old cousin Charlie. This deals primarily with two topics, firstly there is Alix's guilt over the disappearance and later the mystery of what happened to Charlie. An enjoyable light read but the ending does tie things up too neatly with a ridiculous coincidence.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

1: Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
2: Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland
3: I think you'll find it's a little bit more complicated than that by Ben Goldacre
4: Testing Treatments, second edition, by Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou
5: London Falling by Paul Cornell
6: The Shattered Streets by Paul Cornell
7: Neverwhere (Author's Preferred Text) by Neil Gaiman
8: Symbiont by Mira Grant
9: Pact by Wildbow/J C McCrae
10: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, Pere
11: Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
12: Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart
13: Eight Skilled Gentlemen by Barry Hughart
14: Academic Exercises by K J Parker
15: Brayan's Gold by Peter V Brett
16: The Skull Throne by Peter V Brett
17: Perfect State by Brandon Sanderson
18: Sixth of the Dusk by Brandon Sanderson
19: Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson
20: Mitosis by Brandon Sanderson
21: A Slip of the Keyboard by Terry Pratchett
22: A Blink of the Screen by Terry Pratchett
23: When to Rob a Bank by Levitt & Dubner
24: Jacaranda by Cherie Priest
25: Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse by David Mitchell
26: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
27: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
28: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
29: Hard Times in Dragon City by Matt Forbeck
30: Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
31: A Stranger to Command by Sherwood Smith
32: Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross
33: The Emperor's Blades by Brian Stavely
34: Glamour of the God-Touched by Ron Collins
35: Hairy London by Stephen Palmer
36: Facade by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
37: Recovering Apollo 8 by Kristine Katherine Rusch
38: The Diving Bundle by Kristine Katherine Rusch
39: Playing for Keeps by Mur Lafferty
40: Strong Arm Tactics by Jody Lynn Nye
41: Supervillainous by Mike Leon
I've been on holiday, so a bit of a bumper update:

The Diving Bundle I really enjoyed. It's relatively rare that scifi deals with far-future universes in which things have genuinely been forgotten, and this is an excellent take on that general concept. I really like the idea of wreck diving and the various technologies and stories that grew out of it, and I've been consistently impressed with Rusch's writing skills. I'll certainly look up more of her work.

Playing for Keeps was a pretty fun super-people book. I enjoyed most of the low-powered-supers' powers, but the plot was a little dull, and I wasn't 100% sold on the writing for some of it. Certainly competent, and I did enjoy it, though.

Strong Arm Tactics was great fun, well-written schlocky mil-sf with some genuinely funny moments and a reasonably amusing and well-written plot. I enjoyed it, I'd read this author and this series again.

Supervillainous I didn't really get on with that well. I like the idea of an embedded reporter covering a supervillain, and Hammerspace was moderately imaginative as a villain, but overall it was a bit dull and plodding, and the author's prejudices re. guns showed through a bit too strongly for my taste in a couple of places.

Currently reading Stars: the anthology edited by Janis Ian and Mike Reznick. I've mostly enjoyed it so far, and given that I'd really not paid much attention to Ian's music previously, it's also turned me on to a good musician, so I'm doubly pleased with it. Recommended.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
Oops, I haven't posted since April. Also I'm way behind schedule. Oh well here goes:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year (25/45)
2. Read a female author (Little Women)
3. The non-white author (The Three-Body Problem)
9. Something absurdist (Catch-22)
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Please Ignore Vera Dietz)
12. Something dealing with space (The Martian)
13. Something dealing with the unreal (The Colour of Magic)
14. Wildcard (Musicophilia)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (Anna på fredag)
17. A play (The Importance of Being Earnest)
18. Biography (You're Never Weird on the Internet)
21. Short story(s) (Perfect State)
22. A mystery (Murder on the Orient Express)

oliven posted:

Next up will probably be Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

17. Unwind by Neal Shusterman: This one was alright, even though it's based on an absolutely ridiculous premise. In a not-so-distant future, the abortion debate resulted in a civil war and the outcome is that abortions are illegal, but between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors. For some reason, kids that are marked for unwinding is not ok with this and the book focuses on three kids who run away from this and try to survive. The best/worst part of the book was experiencing the actual unwinding process through an unwind's point of view. Though not obviously gross or whatever (no blood, nothing graphic) it made me extremely uncomfortable. I doubt I'll read the rest of the series but it was still a fairly enjoyable read.

18. Ubik by Philip K. Dick: I love this kind of old-timey sci-fi where the distant future is 1992 and absolutely outdated concepts (like payphones or whatever) are super advanced and people cannot live without them. Ubik explores existential concepts of life and death and everything inbetween. And psychic powers on the moon. I liked it.

19. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson: Sanderson is so good at constructing these vivid worlds it almost makes me mad. In this one, people draw stuff with chalk, it comes to life, they fight, etc. Simple idea really, but well done nonetheless.

20. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North: This one started out a bit all over the place, but got a lot better eventually. It's about a guy who, when he dies, is returned to his child self with all his memories from previous lives intact. There are more people like this throughout the world, and some aim to change the natural course of history and basically end the world. An enjoyable read.

21. Perfect State by Brandon Sanderson: Short story that explores a sort of love story between two people who are both the most important person in their respective worlds. Short, but good.

22. Sphere by Michael Crichton: I didn't even realise this is from 1987. It doesn't read as "old" (or I don't know enough about equipment needed to survive on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean to spot the difference). It started out really good, and then quickly spiraled into "stuff happens because plot needs to move forward". It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

23. You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day: I've been a fan of Felicia Day's work since The Guild, so this was a fun read. I especially enjoyed the bits about putting the show together, and also the bits about her WoW addiction (not that I've been in a similar situation or anything). Pretty good overall!

24. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King: Eh, this was alright. Vera is in love with her best friend Charlie, who acts like a dick towards her before dying in an accident. She knows all his secrets, including some details about his death, and struggles throughout on whether or not she should reveal his secrets and clear his name. The premise wasn't bad, I just didn't like some of the more "supernatural" aspects of it (which I guess is insane based on all the other poo poo I read, but whatever).

25. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson: I don't even know what the gently caress happened here. This is the fourth Sanderson book I've read this year, and I've generally liked all his other stuff so far. This one, however, was just… Ugh. The main character was annoying, the twists predictable and the only female character with any sort of personality was literally just there to be erratic and moody for no reason, but don't worry about that because she's super hot and the main character still wants to sleep with her. What a mess.

Currently reading Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Behind on updating as usual, but at least I shotgunned a bunch of sci-fi when I was on the beach in Italy this month!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

1. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (reread)
2. The Rise of the Warrior Cop by Radley Balko
3. Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome by John Scalzi
4. The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
5. The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero
6. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
7. Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
8. The Martian by Andy Weir
9. Falstaff by Robert Nye
10. A Boy and his Dog by Harlan Ellison
11. Fiction Ruined My Family by Jeanne Darst
12. One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak
13. The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
14. Half the World by Joe Abercrombie
15. Legion: Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson
16. The Gods Will Have Blood by Anatole France
17. Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi
18. The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster
19. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
20. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
21. Inventing Human Rights: A History by Lynn Hunt
22. Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris
23. The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist by Richard Feynman
24. The Human Division by John Scalzi
25. Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi
26. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Inventing Human Rights was really interesting, and for the most part a sensible walkthrough of how human rights got to the point where they are today. The connection between portraits and human rights seemed tenuous to me but Hunt's research seemed to back it up.

Theodore Rex was a great book about TR's two terms as president. It's fascinating to get into more detail about presidents, particularly since you tend to get a fairly vague overview in high school history classes.

The Meaning of It All was good, though it had the obvious flaw of being a slightly cleaned-up transcript of a lecture series. Feynman is certainly a great mind, and I appreciate his logical developments, but in the end a lot of it doesn't resonate with me emotionally even though it makes sense. I suppose I shouldn't have expected that, given it was a series of lectures on thinking scientifically.

The Human Division was fabulous. I really like Scalzi's style, and I liked the focus on diplomatic relations rather than pure military action. He's really done a great job developing his universe and taking the stories and characters in cool new directions.

Zoe's Tale was a nice little book, though the dramatic tension obviously suffered somewhat since I knew it was a companion book to The Last Colony. Still, Zoe's fresh perspective made me appreciate the basic story even more and it definitely fleshed out her character to a significant degree.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was a spectacular book, and is deservedly a classic. Given the film adaptation is one of my favorite movies of all time, I loved finding out that it wasn't a one-to-one adaptation of the book, even with many similar scenes and themes. The end was nearly completely depressing but pulled up a bit at the very end.

Currently reading: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Great so far. The theology is really interesting since that's not something I usually read about, plus it's unexpectedly funny sometimes. Also reading The Android's Dream by John Scalzi!

So, the BOOKLORD CHALLENGE beckons. Lessee what I've done.

quote:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books (45) in a year - 26 so far!
2. Read a female author - Jeanne Darst (Fiction Ruined My Family)
3. The non-white author
4. Philosophy
5. History - Inventing Human Rights
6. An essay
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl - Done!
11. Something on either hate or love - Frankenstein
12. Something dealing with space - gently caress it I'm gonna put one of my vacation sci-fis here: The Human Division
13. Something dealing with the unreal - Annihilation
14. Wildcard - Falstaff
15. Something published this year or the past three months - Half the World
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play
18. Biography - Theodore Rex
19. The color red - The Martian (it's the Red Planet!)
20. Something banned or censored
21. Short story - A Boy and his Dog
22. A mystery

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

So, one day after my last update, I got hit by a car. I also got an e-reader. As a result of these two things, I read a ton in August:

Patton Oswalt - Silver Screen Fiend
John Wyndham - The Day of the Triffids
Aziz Ansari - Modern Romance
Brian Keene - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Daniel Bryan - Yes!: My Improbable Journey to the Main Event of WrestleMania
Ursula K. Le Guin - Rocannon's World
Brian Keene - The Rising
Ta-Nehisi Coates - Between the World and Me
Elizabeth Gillan Muir - Riverdale: East of the Don
Moshe Kasher - Kasher in the Rye
Brian Keene - City of the Dead

I was on painkillers and generally read a lot of "easy" crap, at least at the start of the month. I gave Brian Keene 3 chances to not be a horrible writer but all 3 were strikes, so he's out. Horrible.

The Elizabeth Muir book counts as my history book - it's a history of Toronto, specifically my neighborhood. I'm still working on "Please Kill Me" for my #16 challenge. Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 41/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 14/10)
3. The non-white author (Janet Mock - Redefining Realness)
4. Philosophy
5. History (Elizabeth Gillan Muir - Riverdale: East of the Don)
6. An essay (Paul Lockhart - The Mathematician's Lament)
7. A collection of poetry (Patricia Lockwood - Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals)
8. Something post-modern (Douglas Coupland - Worst Person Ever)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Joe Palca and Flora Lichtman - Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us)
12. Something dealing with space (Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves)
13. Something dealing with the unreal (Margaret Atwood - The Year of the Flood)
14. Wildcard (George Macdonald Fraser - Black Ajax)
15. Something published this year or the past three months (Nick Cutter - The Deep)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (in progress)
17. A play (Neil Simon - The Odd Couple)
18. Biography (Amy Poehler - Yes Please)
19. The color red (Josef Albers - Interaction of Color)
20. Something banned or censored (Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451)
21. Short story(s) (Heather O'Neill - Daydreams of Angels)
22. A mystery

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

apophenium posted:

1. Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson. Gosh it was so great to get back into the Malazan world. I wasn't that impressed with Assail from last year, but FoD blew me away. Can't wait for Fall of Light.
2. What Judgments Come by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore. Very disillusioned with this series and Star Trek books in general. One more and then I'll probably take a break from Star Trek books for a while.
3. The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang. A horrifyingly tragic story, both the events detailed in the book, and the afterword about Chang herself. Well written documentation of the horrors perpetrated in Nanking.
4. Storming Heaven by David Mack. Finally finished this series. Truth be told, now that it's done I'm wondering why I stuck with it for 8 books! It had its moments, and I did enjoy a lot of the characters.
5. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Quite a sweet story of two magical beings enduing immigrant experience of early 1900s America. Eager for more from Wecker.
6. Joyland by Stephen King. Read this in one day. Once again King nails a story, but completely flops the ending. Still worth reading, however.
7. Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. The exact opposite type of fantasy I enjoy. Hated this basically from page one, but kept reading. It did not get better.
8. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. The exact type of fantasy I enjoy. Loved this basically from page one, and kept reading. It got even better.
9. The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. I think everyone should read this book. Made me informed and angry to a huge problem. Wonderfully written.
10. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. Relatively enjoyable. I'm writing this blurb a month or more since I read this. I liked it, but it didn't really leave a huge impression. I plan on reading the sequel.
11. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I feel like this one was completely over my head, but I still found it enjoyable. Definitely didn't make me want to convert to Catholicism.
12. The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. This one had been hyped up a bit. It was good, but not great. Strongly recommended if you enjoy fun characters. Not recommended if you feel bad if there are only 2 female characters in the whole book.
13. The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu. Holy loving poo poo. This is the kind of book that makes me unashamed to admit I enjoy sci-fi. Brilliant from start to finish. Highly anticipating the 2nd and 3rd books.

14. Hunger by Knut Hamsun. A strange and twisted tale. Darkly humorous and thoroughly enjoyable.
15. Star Trek: Vulcan's Heart by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz. A sequel of sorts to Vulcan's Forge, which I read last year. No where near as fun as the first book, with some creepy moments. I'm very cynical about Star Trek books now.
16. The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. The first sentence of this book made me cry a little bit. Painfully fragmented, but beautiful nonetheless. Boredom as transcendence. Would have been interesting to see where DFW would have taken the plot.
17. Inversions by Iain M. Banks. Finishing a Culture book is bittersweet. I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would, given that it's only barely a Culture book. Very unique format.
18. Culture and Imperialism by Edward Said. Whew, this book was a struggle. I'm trying to acclimate myself to non-fiction. I enjoyed this, but it was tough at times to motivate myself to pick it up.
19. The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. Superb followup to The Three Body Problem. While not as inventive as the first book, it still brings in some interesting ideas. Tie that in with some better pacing and you've got a real winner. Eager for the third book.

19/30 books for the year, 5/5 on unique female authors, 3/5 on non-fiction. Currently reading Black Against Empire and Star Trek: Seekers - Second Nature.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I keep falling behind in posting in this thread. I read 13 more books!

To button up my personal non-fiction challenge I read The Sports Gene about the science of why people are good at different sports, The Worst Hard Time about the dust bowl, and The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan by Rick Perlstein. They were all interesting; Perlstein was the best of the lot but I thought Invisible Bridge wasn't quite as good as Nixonland.

I read Between the World and Me for my 15. Something published this year/past 3 months challenge, although I haven't had time to post my thoughts in the book of the month thread. I read In the Realms of the Unreal: Insane Writings for my unreal challenge, not just based on the title - well I guess sort of since it was taken from the Henry Darger's 15,000 page book which I started reading about when I did a search for "unreal". It is also a collection of writing from people institutionalized for mental health problems. It was about as hit and miss as you would expect, the poetry and some of the surreal stuff was good but then there was a lot of incoherent stuff which wasn't even well written. I might pick another book for this challenge. For my poetry challenge I read The Best of the Best American Poetry (as in, the best of the anthology series "The Best American Poetry") which was really good, it covered 25 years from 1988 on, I like the more modern stuff which is more about cool thoughts and imagery and not making the best rhyme. I'm probably talking out of my rear end there since I don't know much poetry otherwise so I apologize. I just finished Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead for my Absurdist challenge which was really funny; it was also my first play in book form I have read, but I am not using it for that challenge, so I am looking forward to reading another in the next month or so.

For my books not from America or Europe personal challenge I read The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk, The Pickup by Nadine Gordimer, and The Day the Leader was Killed by Naguib Mahfouz. They all complimented each other really well although by accident, I read Nadine Gordimer as a South African writer but the protagonist ends up moving to a Middle Eastern country with her husband. Pamuk's was my favorite of the bunch but they were all really solid.

Then I also read the Tibetan Book of the Dead in preparation for The Blind Owl which I am reading next. I also read The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi which was not super great and The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton which was really good but I am not going to say much about either of those because I need to shower and drive to an out of state wedding.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

3: I think you'll find it's a little bit more complicated than that by Ben Goldacre
4: Testing Treatments, second edition, by Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou
42: Stars: the anthology by Janis Ian and Mike Resnick (Eds)
I really enjoyed Stars overall, though there were a couple of the stories which I just didn't get, and a couple which took me a while but really grew on me. It's a fascinating set of ways writers have been inspired, and I had a great time.

Currently reading Strike! by... someone... but it's sucking hard enough that despite the trilogy being available in that story bundle, I'll probably not bother going beyond the first book. It reads like someone who reads a lot of comics tried to write a comic but couldn't draw, so just put the script into a novel. Full of really dry description and sound effects written IN CAPS! WITH EXCLAMATION MARKS! Meh.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Progress: 14 of 25 books

1. The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell. 5/5.
2. The Martian, Andy Weir. 2/5. Booklord Challenge 1 completed: Read a book about space.
3. The Blind Owl, Sadegh Hedayat. 0/5. Booklord Challenge 2 completed: Read this lovely book.
4. Atlas of Remote Islands - Fifty Islands I have Never Set Foot On and Never Will, Judith Schalansky. 5/5 Booklord Challenge 3 completed: Read a female author.
5. The Golem and The Djinni, Helene Wecker. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 4 completed: Read a book about the unreal.
6. The Magicians, Lev Grossman. 5/5
7. The Magician King, Lev Grossman. 5/5
8. The Magician's Land, Lev Grossman. 5/5
9. Wolf In White Van, John Darnielle. 5/5
10. The Water Knife, Paolo Bacigalupi. 3.5/5 Booklord Challenge 5 completed: Read a book published in the last three months to a year.
11. Anathem, Neal Stephenson. 4/5
12. The Woman In the Dunes, Kobo Abe. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 6 completed: Read a book written by a non-cracker.
13ish - Drabin In Love, from City of Saints and Madmen, Jeff Vandermeer. 1 out of 5 stars. Booklord Challenge 7 completed: Read a short story.

14. Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel. One of those very rare perfect books. She uses the superflu armageddon trope to tell a connected story of a series of really interesting characters. Masterfully done. The tone of the book reminded me a bit of The Dog Stars, which I really loved. Will definitely be checking out Mandel's earlier work. 5 out of 5 stars.

In between I tried to read The Goblin Emperor. It was an okay idea but I'm really not into "palace intrigue" stuff, and the bizarre language used in the book - which often forced you to scramble to the Appendix to understand which character was which - got old fast.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Argali posted:

14. Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel. One of those very rare perfect books. She uses the superflu armageddon trope to tell a connected story of a series of really interesting characters. Masterfully done. The tone of the book reminded me a bit of The Dog Stars-------

Okay that's enough, I'm sold.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
August~

74. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
75. Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
76. The Waves - Virginia Woolf
77. The Color of Water - James McBride
78. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
79. Beasts - John Crowley
80. Augustus - John Williams
81. Blood Rites (Dresden Files #6) - Jim Butcher
82. Half a War (Shattered Sea #3) -Joe Abercrombie
83. Engine Summer - John Crowley
84. Endymion (Hyperion Cantos #3) - Dan Simmons
85. All the Pretty Horses (Border Trilogy #1) - Cormac McCarthy
86. Rise of Endymion (Hyperion Cantos #4) - Dan Simmons
87. The Scar (Bas-Lag #2) - China Mieville
88. The Bad Girl - Mario Vargas Llosa

This month was full of rereads and fantasy/sci-fi for the most part. I finished the Hyperion series with Endymion and Rise of Endymion; I can't think of a sci-fi series I've enjoyed more in recent memory (even if the writing in the two Endymion books wasn't as good as the first two). The first two Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station and The Scar) were rereads that I'd been intending to do for a long time - while Mieville is good, those two continue to be my favorites of his. Finally, I finished a collection of short novels from John Crowley (whom I love for his fantasy Little, Big) and while The Deep and Beasts were both pretty good novels, Engine Summer was absolutely stellar, one of my favorite post-apocalyptic books I've ever read - in that it was so strange. It reminded me a good bit of Riddley Walker, without the language barrier. On the not-so-good side was Ready Player One. Somewhat cringe-worthy, but it kept me turning the pages, I guess. It'll be interesting to see what Spielberg does with it.

Beyond that, The Color of Water was a lovely memoir about the author's mother - a Jewish woman who left her repressively religious family to marry an African-American man and eventually raise 12 children - and a look at the author's young life itself. Having read his John Brown novel The Good Lord Bird a year or two ago, I had my eye out for more James McBride, and I gotta say I like that guy. I also picked up Augustus based on my love of John Williams's Stoner, and it was pretty good too - if not as good as Stoner - about the life and intrigues of Augustus Caesar, written in an epistolary style. Finally, my other favorite would have to be All the Pretty Horses. I think I did myself wrong when I jumped into Blood Meridian as my first McCarthy book, because it kicked my rear end. I've been reading his less-imposing stuff - Suttree and now the Border Trilogy - and I'm really starting to appreciate his work. All the Pretty Horses was fantastic, possibly my favorite I've read of his. It can go from a laconic, almost spare style to incredibly eloquent and lovely language, and succeeds incredibly at both. Who knows? After the Border Trilogy I may take another swing at Blood Meridian sometime.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.: 88/100
2. Read a female author: 13 (a second Woolf book)
3. The non-white author: (McBride)
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
15. Something published this year or the past three months: "Half a War"
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 31, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

43: Strike! Hero from the Sky by Charlie Woods
Strike sucked hard enough that I'm not going to be continuing the series. It just felt really amateurish, boring, paper-thin characters, dull, mechanical action, too many sound effects... It read like the author was trying to write a novel that evoked comics, but he really didn't succeed. So meh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

January
  1. Chestnuts: A True Story about Being Bullied by Gilbert Ohanian
  2. The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: The Evil Monkey Dialogues by Ann VanderMeer, Jeff VanderMeer & Duff Goldman
  3. The Black Queen (The Fey #6) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  4. The Black King (The Fey #7) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    February
  5. The Labours of Hercules (Hercule Poirot, #26) by Agatha Christie
  6. Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld
    March
  7. Harry Potter and the Natural 20 (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #1) by Sir Poley
  8. Harry Potter and the Confirmed Critical (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #2) by Sir Poley
  9. Women in Love (Brangwen Family, #2) by D.H. Lawrence
  10. A Mind Forever Voyaging: A History of Storytelling in Video Games by Dylan Holmes
  11. Due Justice (Justice Series, #1) by Diane Capri
  12. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
    April
  13. The Changelings (War of the Fae, #1) by Elle Casey
  14. Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs
  15. The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe #7) by Raymond Chandler
    May
  16. Look Evelyn, Duck Dynasty Wiper Blades. We Should Get Them.: A Collection Of New Essays by David Thorne
  17. Spider-Man and the X-Men by Elliot Kalan
  18. Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students by Anders Henriksson
  19. Guards! Guards! (Discworld #8) by Terry Pratchett
  20. Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances #2) by Alexandre Dumas
    June
  21. College in a Nutskull: A Crash Ed Course in Higher Education by Anders Henriksson
  22. Pen Pal by Francesca Forrest
  23. What a Croc! by The NT News
  24. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
    July
  25. Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
  26. Maus by Art Spiegelman
  27. It's a Bird... by Steven T. Seagle & Teddy Kristiansen
  28. It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction ed. Desirina Boskovich
  29. Datura by Leena Krohn
    August
  30. The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do
  31. The Kewpie Killer by Falafel Jones
  32. The Little Princesses: The Story of the Queen's Childhood by her Nanny, Marion Crawford by Marion Crawford
  33. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Total: 33/52
Female authors: 14/24
Non-fiction: 11/12

Goodreads.

The Happiest Refugee was interesting and entertaining. I'm not really a fan of Do's stand-up, so I probably never would have read it but for the fact that I was assigned two chapters of it for a class, and having read those I was invested enough to continue. The Little Princesses was a pretty entertaining book about some pretty interesting people. I don't have a lot to say about either one, but I enjoyed them.

The Kewpie Killer, on the other hand, was incredibly dumb. Every plot point is telegraphed way ahead of time and the characters are really bad at picking up on the obvious. One example from early on: The killer leaves these plaster "kewpie" dolls by the victims, but everyone writes them off as being prizes from the carnival, even though it's specifically and repeatedly mentioned that they're not the same as the ones the carnival has, which are plastic. A bigger problem though is that the protagonist just doesn't seem to do anything. She just follows other characters around while they investigate. Occasionally whoever she's with will be struck by a sudden fit of stupidity so that she can make the obvious suggestion to get them back on track, but the book would probably be improved if she were written out.

Also, by about two thirds of the way through it seems like the solution is obvious and the book should be just about over, but then the insane plot twists begin, each chapter introducing some new and implausible element. And I don't know if Jones felt they'd written themself into a corner or what, but the book has the most abrupt ending I can remember reading. The plot is suddenly and anti-climatically resolved, and where you'd expect a final chapter showing the characters' lives going back to normal instead you just get... nothing. And I refer to the author as "they" because "Falafel Jones" is obviously a pseudonym and they seem to have gone out of their way to make sure no one can find out anything about them, including their gender.

The other book I read and hated this month was Neverwhere. And mostly it was down to the protagonist (although the plot was also pretty meandering and the twist predictable). But mostly I just hate Richard Mayhew. He is among the worst protagonists in anything I've read/played/watched. He exists only to be the dullest, stupidest, least relatable audience stand-in ever. Even on the few occasions where he does attempt to do something, he still does the dumbest poo poo. And then at the end, he finally gets to go home, but decides that his life is inevitably going to be boring so he returns to London Below, like as though that will somehow lead to him having a meaningful life. What's he going to do, track down Door again and follow her around like a lost puppy? I hate this guy.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
2) Akira Vol. 3 - Katsuhiro Otomo
3) Steel Magnolias - Robert Harling
4) The Four Feathers - A.E.W. Mason
5) Giant's Bread - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie)
6) A Good Marriage - Stephen King
7) Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains - Jon Krakauer
8) In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
9) Foundation - Isaac Asimov
10) The Best of Edward Abbey - Edward Abbey
11) A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal - Robert Macintyre
12) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind
13) Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) - Brandon Sanderson
14) The Giver - Lois Lowry
15) Lost in the City - Edward P. Jones
16) The Blithedale Romance - Nathaniel Hawthorne
17) Akira Vol. 4 - Katsuhiro Otomo
18) The Art of War - Sun Tzu
19) William Howard Taft: The Travails of a Progressive Conservative - Jonathan Lurie
20) The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet
21) Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass
22) Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima
23) The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
24) The Arabian Nights: Tales From a Thousand and One Nights - Anonymous
25) Arabella - Georgette Heyer
26) Woodrow Wilson: World Statesman - Kendrick A. Clements[
27) The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
28) Worm - Wildbow
29) The Rosetta Key - William Deitrich
30) Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
31) The Ohio Gang: The World of Warren G. Harding - Charles L. Mee
32) Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman
33) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) - Brandon Sanderson
34) A Royal Experiment: The Private Life of King George III - Janice Hadlow
35) Calvin Coolidge - David Greenberg[
36) Savage Summit: The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the Worlds Most Feared Mountain - Jennifer Jordan
37) White Teeth - Zadie Smith
38) I Come From the Stone Age - Heinrich Harrer
39) Akira Vol.5 - Katsuhiro Otomo
40) An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
41) Throne of Jade - Naomi Novik
42) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) - Brandon Sanderson
43) Unfinished Portrait - Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott
44) French Lessons: Adventures With Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew - Peter Mayle
45) Akira Vol. 6 - Katsuhiro Otomo
46) Herbert Hoover - William E. Leuchtenburg
47) The Enchanted April - Elizabeth Von Armin
48) Paris - Edward Rutherfurd
49) Shelley: Poems - Percy Bysshe Shelley
50) The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
51) Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World - Mark Kurlansky
52) Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
53) Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden
54) FDR - Jean Edward Smith
55) The Running Man - Stephen King
56) Orange is the New Black - Piper Kerman
57) A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
58) The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
59) Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed

After a couple of slim months I finally had a productive month reading. Here's my August:

60) Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) - Charlaine Harris- I've been binge-watching the show and liking it so I thought I'd give the books a try. The show sticks close to the book plot, but I liked the additional insight we get in the book. I'll keep reading these.
61) The Rose and the Yew Tree - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie) - A lovely little book. Quintessentially Christie, even though it is not a mystery.
62) Black Powder War (Temeraire #3) - Naomi Novik- Definitely a step up from the previous novel, but I feel like this should have been a chapter in a bigger book rather than a standalone novel.
63) Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco - I alternately enjoyed and loathed this. Parts of it were great, other parts were tedious. Overall I liked it.
64) Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson - This was great. The author made me hope everything would end up being ok even though I knew that obviously wasn't the case. Perfect length and pacing, and I liked that he went into detail about the submarine and crew that fired the torpedo.
65) The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory- This was just absurd. The author's original character suddenly becomes the confidante of both Queen Mary I and Princess Elizabeth, not to mention Lord Dudley and everyone else she meets. Then a romance/marriage was tacked on. Not very good.
66) Truman - David McCullough - I've been looking forward to this one since reading McCullough's 'John Adams' and it did not disappoint. Absolutely fantastic. It was supposed to be my July president but, at over 1000 pages, it ran over into August. Highly recommended, even if you're not reading bios of all the presidents.
67) 41 Stories - O. Henry - O. Henry is always listed on lists of classics, but I had never actually read anything by him, so I decided to remedy that. His stories are charming and almost always very satisfying.
68) If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Italo Calvino - I loved this, despite the repeated blue balls of the unfinished stories. I selected it for my post modern category in the Booklord Challenge.
69) Eisenhower in War and Peace - Jean Edward Smith - This was really good, but paled compared to the Truman I had just finished. Ike was a very interesting man and I was unfamiliar with his presidency so this was quite interesting.

Total: 69/100
Presidential bios: 8/12
Non Fiction barring prez bios: 15/25

Stravinsky's Challenge:
1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 69/100
2. Read a female author - The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
3. The non-white author - Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass
4. Philosophy - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
5. History - In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
6. An essay - The Best of Edward Abbey - Edward Abbey
7. A collection of poetry - Shelley: Poems - Percy Bysshe Shelley
8. Something Post-Modern - If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Italo Calvino
9. Something absurdist - Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind
10. The Blind Owl - The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
11. Something on either hate or love - Arabella - Georgette Heyer
12. Something dealing with space - Foundation - Isaac Asimov
13. Something dealing with the unreal - The Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson
14. Wildcard - A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
15. Something published this year - Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time - Giant's Bread - Mary Westmacott
17. A play - Steel Magnolias - Robert Harling
18. Biography - William Howard Taft: The Travails of a Progressive Conservative - Jonathan Lurie
19. The color red - A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal - Robert Macintyre
20. Something banned or censored - The Giver - Lois Lowry
21. Short story(s) - Lost in the City - Edward P. Jones
22. A mystery - The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet

Aside from the overall number goal, I'm done with the booklord challenge! While some categories were easy (female author, biography) some definitely pushed me outside my comfort zone (post modern, absurdist, Blind Owl) and I got to read some books that I would not have otherwise picked up. I'd do this again next year for sure.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
September update. I've been a bit lax on updating, so this may take multiple posts. Plus, I've had an ear infection recently, which put me off reading as much.

#53: Epileptic - David B.: French graphic novel about the author’s relationship with his epileptic older brother. Interesting black-and-white artwork. 4/5.

#54: Tough Guide to Fantasyland - Dianne Wynne Jones: A satirical travel guide to fantasy tropes and clichés. Maybe I need to read more stereotypical fantasy books for this to have the full effect. Still worth a read. 3/5.

#55: The Reapers are the Angels - Alden Bell: A post-apocalyptic zombie novel, but a bit more different from the norm (in terms of writing style, characterisation and events). Kind of like Colson Whitehead's Zone One (in that they both involve zombies and are more literary than your typical zombie novel). Zombies. 4/5.

#56: The Manhattan Projects, vol. 2: They Rule - Jonathan Hickman: The second collection in the series. A bit more overtly ridiculous than the first set of comics: for example, there is a scene where Einstein and Feynman are shooting FDR robots with a machine gun. If that doesn't sound too silly, check it out. 4/5.

#57: How to be a Victorian - Ruth Goodman: An exploration of daily life for the average Victorian citizen, including direct re-creation by the author (so a bit more involved than your average Victorian cosplay). Reasonably interesting. 4/5.

#58: East of West, vol. 1 - Jonathan Hickman: A sci-fi/fantasy Western involving the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Not as good as the Manhattan Projects series, but not too bad. 3/5.

#59: Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer: In which a group of people investigates an occurrence. It ends badly. Won the Nebula (along with the other two books in the series), so if you're interested in biopunk, check it out. 4/5.

#60: The Book of Taltos - Steven Brust: A compendium encompassing the fourth and fifth books in the Vlad Taltos series. Both were good; at the very least, both were better than Teckla. 4/5.

#61: Fosse - Sam Wasson: A biography of the multitalented Bob Fosse. One interesting fact that I learned from this book was knowledge of his final film, Star 80, which starred Eric Roberts. Yes, *that* Eric Roberts. Did that movie turn him crazy or was he already nuts? Definitely check it out if you're interested in Mr. Fosse. 4/5.

#62: Victoria: A Life - A. N. Wilson: An extensive biography of Queen Victoria. In summation: she was an accomplished and interesting woman who was lucky and unlucky at various points of her life. I might not agree with all of her opinions (feminism, especially), but I have a lot of respect for Her Majesty. 4/5.

#63: Little Failure - Gary Shteyngart: A partial autobiography by the author born Igor Shteyngart in Soviet Russia. Worth a look if you're interested in the author (or even if, like me, you've never read a single book by the guy). 4/5.

#64: Gut: the inside story of our body's most underrated organ - Giulia Enders: A semi-humourous look at the human digestive system. I don't have any major digestive problems, but my brother has ulcerative colitis (and one of my cousins has full-on Crohn's), so there's some familial interest for me. (Personally, the only real problem I have is an intolerance of egg whites. It's great to feel like crap because of some ninja mayonnaise). 3/5.

#65: Snowpiercer - Jacques Lob: The graphic novel on which the titular movie is loosely based. You know how so many people think that books are automatically superior to their movie adaptations? That is usually the case, but in this instance, they'd be wrong. This isn't the worst graphic novel ever (I don't want to know what would be worse than Frank Miller's Holy Terror), but the movie version is so much better it's not even funny. The movie, I'd give 4.5 or even 5 stars out of 5: I gave this a much lower score. In the book's defense, the artwork is fairly good. If you really want to investigate the origins of the movie, do like I did and get it out from the library. TLDR: 2/5.

#66: Smoke Gets In Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory: Caitlin Doughty: In which the author talks about her experiences working at a morgue cremating dead people. Worth a look if the subject matter interests you. 3.5(4)/5.

Continued in next post.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

August.

45. Endymion. Dan Simmons. At the end I felt like I read the first chapter of a way longer book. Still good.
46. Monstrous Regiment. Terry Pratchett. This one was a weird book, it started slow and got boring at the middle and then it started to pick up fast by the end to get pretty awesome. Characters were awesome too.
47. Glasshouse. Charles Stross. Started confusing but got better by the middle, then confusing again and awesome by the end.
48. A Hat Full of Sky. Terry Pratchett. The story was quite simple but the characters make the book amazing.
49. The Warrior's Apprentice. Louis McMaster Bujold. Fun story, but some characters were too one-dimensional for my tastes.
50. Going Postal. Terry Pratchett. Awesome book, the protagonist is one of the best in the series.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year: 50/60
2. Read a female author: Jojo Moyes and others.
3. The non-white author: Khaled Hosseini and others.
4. Philosophy
5. History: Monsters and Demons, Charlotte Montague.
6. An essay: Unless It Moves the Human Heart: The Craft and Art of Writing, Roger Rosenblatt.
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
11. Something on either hate or love: We Need to Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver.
12. Something dealing with space: Transition, Iain M. Banks.
13. Something dealing with the unreal: Los mentales, Pgarcía.
15. Something published this year or the past three months
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time: Harry Potter and the Magician's Stone,J.K. Rowling.
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red: Red 1-2-3, John Katzenbach.
20. Something banned or censored: Burmese Days, George Orwell.
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

Discworld challenge 33/41

I need a wildcard, please!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

ZakAce posted:

#65: Snowpiercer - Jacques Lob: The graphic novel on which the titular movie is loosely based. You know how so many people think that books are automatically superior to their movie adaptations? That is usually the case, but in this instance, they'd be wrong. This isn't the worst graphic novel ever (I don't want to know what would be worse than Frank Miller's Holy Terror), but the movie version is so much better it's not even funny. The movie, I'd give 4.5 or even 5 stars out of 5: I gave this a much lower score. In the book's defense, the artwork is fairly good. If you really want to investigate the origins of the movie, do like I did and get it out from the library. TLDR: 2/5.

Ah, that doesn't bode well for me! I loved the movie and bought the graphic novels immediately after but haven't yet read them because they're so inconvenient to handle. Hope I enjoy them anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Talas posted:

I need a wildcard, please!

Amberville by Tim Davys.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

August update. Another slow-ish month again.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. - 34/40
2. Read a female author - Gabriela Mistral
3. The non-white author - Ta-Nehisi Coates
4. Philosophy - Either Derrida or Spinoza
5. History
6. An essay -
7. A collection of poetry - A collection of Poems by Gabriela Mistral (includes poems from Desolación, Ternura, Tala, Lagar and Poema de Chile), The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro by Fernando Pessoa
8. Something post-modern - Inherent Vice by Pynchon.
9. Something absurdist - Waiting for Godot
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!) I read this last year
11. Something on either hate or love - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
12. Something dealing with space - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
13. Something dealing with the unreal - Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read) - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
15. Something published this year or the past three months - Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time - Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
17. A play - Waiting for Godot
18. Biography - Ingar Sletten Kolloen's Hamsun biographies
19. The color red The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
20. Something banned or censored - Woodcutters by Thomas Bernhard
21. Short story(s) - The Lady with the Dog, and other stories by Anton Chekhov
22. A mystery - Arguably The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, I'll see if I cannot get something else too just to make sure I didn't cheat this.

1. Hear the Wind Sing, Haruki Murakami
2. Pinball 1974, Haruki Murakami
3. On The Beach, Neil Shute
4. Collected Poems by Per Sivle
5. History of the Siege of Lisbon, José Saramago
6. Wayfarers, Knut Hamsun
7. The Seed, Tarjei Vesaas
8. Morning and Evening, Jon Fosse
9. The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro, Fernando Pessoa
10. Doktor Faustus, Thomas Mann
11. Collection of poems, Gabriela Mistral
12. Doctor Glas, Hjalmar Söderberg
13. Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez
14. Invisible Cities, Italo Calvino
15. Inherent Vice, Thomas Pynchon
16. Road to the Worl'd End, Sigurd Hoel
17. The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem
18. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
19. The Clown, Heinrich Böll
20. The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Lev Tolstoy
21. Fathers and Sons, Ivan Turgenev
22. A Theatrical Novel, Mikhail Bulgakov
23. Sleepless, Jon Fosse
24. Woodcutters, Thomas Bernhard
25. Confusion of Feelings, Stefan Zweig
26. The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, Heinrich Böll
27. The Elephant's Jurney, José Saramago
28. Shyness and Dignity, Dag Solstad
29. Krysantemum, Rune Christiansen
30. The Feast of the Goat, Mario Vargas Llosa
31. Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
32. The Comfort of Strangers, Ian McEwan
33. The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
34. Homo Faber, Max Frisch

34/40

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
what did you think of Homo Faber?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Update through August.

Previously:

1. Menneskefluene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
2. Teckla by Steven Brust.
3. Ultima by Stephen Baxter.
4. Satellittmenneskene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
5. REAMDE by Neal Stephenson.
6. Atlas of Remote Islands by Judith Schalansky
7. Annihilation by Jeff VanDermeer.
8. The Last Ringbearer by Kirill Yeskov.
9. Njålssoga (aka Njåls saga, the Saga of Burnt Niall, etc. in various translations) by unknown author.
10. The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin.
11. Katalysatormordet by Hans Olav Lahlum.
12. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks.
13. De Fem Fyrstikkene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
14. Pastoralia by George Saunders.
15. Kameleonmenneskene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
16. Academic Exercises by K.J. Parker.
17. Straits of Hell by Taylor Anderson.
18. Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.
19. My Real Children by Jo Walton.
20. Forrådt ("Betrayed") by Amalie Skram.
21. Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey.
22. On the Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds.
23. Landfall by Stephen Baxter.

New:

24. The March North by Graydon Saunders. Egalitarian information-dense fantasy set in a fantasy hellworld full of horrors only some of which are describable. Everywhere is full of demons, mindcontrolling sorcerer-kings, the living dead, what have you; except for the nation of the Commonweal which has figured out some ways to survive as a (mostly) peaceful, humane civilization. This cannot be done without heavy artillery, ghosts of fallen infantrymen, ageless sorcerers and a five-ton war-sheep named Eustace. Saunders is another refugee from rec.arts.sf.written of old and his prose is easily recognizable (his posts were always recognizable as his without looking at the headers); this is his first published novel but he's already got another one out and that's on my to-read list.

25. The Long Utopia by Terry Pratchett and (probably mostly) Stephen Baxter. #4 in that series thing. Same strengths and weaknesses as the previous three. Good enough.

26. Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. I've always thought Robinson writes beautiful, poetic, sad books and this is no exception. Pretty unforgiving and depressing and then uplifting and humane. An unusual take on the time-honored "interstellar generation ship" theme.

27. Castaway Planet by Ryk Spoor and Eric Flint. After #26 I was in the mood for some plain old optimistic SF for enthusiastic nerds -- the kind of story where people explore stuff and encounter danger and weirdness but solve their problems using brains and duct tape -- and this scratched that itch.

28. Ørnens Sønn by Olaf Havnes. #1 in a by now twenty-year-old Norwegian fantasy trilogy by an author who went on to write a handful more books and then got cancer and died much too young; much-loved by those relatively few who have read it, which I never did back in the day. Found all three volumes in my local library and decided to have at it; and it turns out this is pretty good. The setting is fairly by-the-numbers not-Earth with a wide variety of cultures inspired by real history; but an unusual amount of attention is given to describing the geology and ecology of any visited locale, and the conditions these impose on possible economic and cultural activity for humans living there. Magic is nearly non-existent or else so subtle as to be nearly invisible; the prose is direct and simple but effective and not unpoetic; violence and sexual themes are not shied away from but neither dwelled upon in pornographic detail -- this would be quite appropriate reading for a bright middle-schooler. The basic plot is about a tyrannical empire ruling most of the world and an insurgency against this empire driven by a lineage of underground rebels from the despised and marginal peoples of the world; the ultimate success of this insurgency is already revealed early on, the remaining suspense is how it got there. Liked this a lot, will read #2 and #3 soon.

29. The Annihilation Score by Charles Stross. Love the whole Laundry series, loved this entry as well. Even as it gets grimmer and less jokey the more CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN proceeds.

30. The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin. #2 in the Three-Body Problem trilogy. Good fresh-feeling classic SF with high concepts and high stakes; loved this to bits.

So far:
30/40 overall goal, of which 1/5 allowed rereads
7/10 Norwegian books
4/5 nonfiction

Booklord challenge points met:
2 (Forrådt; technically met earlier but saved for a book where the gender of the author was the POINT rather than an accident)
3 (Three-Body Problem)
5 (Njålssoga),
8 (Pastoralia)
11 (My Real Children)
12 (Ultima)
13 (Teckla; teleporting sorceror-assassins aren't particularly real)
14 (The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat)
15 (Ultima again, published November 2014)
16 (Njålssoga)
19 (Three-Body Problem)
21 (De Fem Fyrstikkene)
22 (Menneskefluene).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Squishy posted:

1 One Third of a Nation by Arthur Arent and others. A play exploring the dire housing situation in depression-era New York. Agit-prop long past its sell by date but still fascinating, mostly for being in such a foreign style. (17)
2 Agapé Agape by William Gaddis. Picked this up again and it's a really interesting read. Managed to get a few references that I missed last time, like I somehow didn't clock that he was talking about Nietzche, somehow. Still need to read it with a Steven Moore guide to get them all though.
3 Agapé Agape by William Gaddis. I had a long journey and it's 100 pages. Read through this time paying attention to the main character, how he's buffetted by bouts of intense pain and delerium.
4 The House of the Solitary Maggot by James Purdy. Another re-read, the bits in the cinema are as good as I remember them, but I was sure there was a crucifixion in this. Maybe it's in another one of his. It's written in a weirdly conversational style where characters and locations are introduced and then introduce their history with the family which we surely would have heard of before. It's a shoe-in for challenge eleven as every single one of the 5 characters both loves and hates each other. (11)
5 The Old Men at the Zoo by Angus Wilson. It's nice to see his continue hysterical attack over social niceties and the possibilities of violence infused with some surprisingly keyed-in social commentary. I mainly felt cut off from the time, this book realy conveys the panic of an age bouncing from WW2 into ann uncertain future of nuclear destruction and political irrelevance. I would say I enjoyed this book more than any of his other novels I've read.
6 Faust, part one by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe as translated by Phillip Wayne. I'm not sure how they've diveded up the play, part 2 seems a great deal thicker. Nice to see the black poodle circling Faust in little fiery steps. I probably need to reread this, I wasn't treating this fair.
7 The Double by José Saramago as translated by Margarat Jull Costa. After ignoring the trailers for Enemy for weeks I saw this in a bookshop and decided why not. I really enjoyed reading the book making GBS threads on this lovely dude and his slight ethical failiures. I honestly skipped over the chapter where anything happened because I couldn't be hosed reading about uh, blackmailing people into pimping out their partners. Sorry José.
8 The Blind Owl by Sadeq Hedayat as translated by Iraj Bashiri. Dug this thing. I liked it when he killed her 10
8 Fight Club by Chuck Palahuink. Boy, this wasn't good. I mean, the writing was OK but the underlying politics is just impossibly irritating.
9 Cathleen ni Hoolain by WB Yeats and Lady Gregory. Watta lotta Irish plays forthcoming. Included because otherwise I'd have read 4 books in two months. This one's a short blighter about the attraction of war. Also casts the Nationalist cause as a shapeshifting vampire, which is nice I guess.
10 Translations by Brian Friel. Clever play about language. Also included a dippy English soldier getting ganked by the IRA. RIP to him.
11 By the Bog of Cats by Mariana Carr. A Tennessee WIlliams-esque thing about capitalistic bastards trying to drive a traveller from her actual bog, which she stomps around while feeling emotions about her vanished mother. Gotta like that dumb sort of violence, I guess. 2
12 The Beauty Queen of Leenane by Martin MacDonagh. It's the In Brughes guy. It's like an O. Henry story with some gruesome abuse in the middle and a slick bit of violence throughout. Or well, like that one O. Henry story that everyone knows.
13 A Skull in Connemara by Martin MacDonagh. This has a lot more of that bloody violence. Features a kid who cooked a hamster and keeps going from there. Entertaining, you know.
14 Bailegangaire by Tom Murphy. Now this is a play. Family bickering going over the endlessly repeated retelling of history,like Krapp's last tape.
15 Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov. Fun but boy it shows that this was a series of stories rather than a novel. Characters are introduced and then dropped as the introduction was the only fun bit to write. I'm glad he didn't break the bowl at the end.
16 Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham. Brisk tale of snobbery and cosyness in the world of British publishing 50 years ago. An awful literary wife has appointed an awful hack to drum up an awful biography for her now-dead husband (who was mostly awful, but wrote a few good books), all overseen by the smug narrator who knows that the true merit lies beyond all this, in the bosoms of the sexually giving working classes and America. Maugham's satire of his colleagues is good but I don't think he has anything to say about what he admires. Bit hypocritical for the book takes a swing at Henry James for walking away from America and attempting to write about duchesses. I used to know the name of the chap this book was an insult to. Apparently Maugham befriended him, for material.
17 The Stain by Rikki Ducornet. Never heard of her, picked this up because I saw an uncorrected proof going for 50p and the first few lines seemed engagingly mental. The rest of the book followed through. It's like one of those wedding feasts Flaubert turns up his nose at except everybody's down with the party. Basically a 200 page orgy with religious-theming.
18 Libra by Don DeLillo. I don't like DeLillo but I quite liked this one, I guess because I've got more interest in the JFK assassination than a dumb baseball match or road movies. It's still shocking that an author of his standing can't write dialogue though. But hey, he can come up with some nice metaphors, though occasionally he lets himself get carried away.
19 Herzog by Saul Bellow. I really enjoyed this one. Old jewish man feels hard-done-by yet self-loathing as he constantly thinks about his awful ex-wife, etc.
20: The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem as translated by Michael Kandel. Bed time stories for parents to read when they want their children to grow up to be nerds. Very enjoyable.
21 Dead Babies by Martin Amis. A birthday present I was given... 8 years ago? Anyway, a whole vicarage full of awful druggy people but once you skim past the first 30 pages (which are a bit smug), it gets rather funny. Like Waugh or, I suppose, Kingsly Amis, these awful stereotypes tear themselves apart. Worst of all of are the Americans, of course, who take a rather Nietzchy view of things (the dead babies of the title are things like, uh, morals to be left by the wayside). It ends rather explosively but I had not been reading NEARLY CLOSELY enough to either understand or care.
22 Just One More Thing by Peter Falk. Another old birthday present. I like Columbo, and seeing the Wim Wenders film Wings of Desire pushed me into reading this. Less of a book more of a collection of talk-show anecdotes written down. I'm putting it down as a biography anyway. 18
23 Explosion in a Cathedral by Alejo Carpentier as translated by John Sturrock (I think). Picked this up because it was ex libris from a guy with pretty ok taste, at least a lot of 70s english pomo. I liked his descriptions of children at play, but didn't particularly care about the protagonist or his moral journey. Also I'm bigoted against novels not set in the author's lifetime. Are Cuban's nonwhite (for the booklord)? I'll wait.
24 This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski as translated by Barbabra Vedder. A selection from the short-writings of the Polish communist focusing on his experience in Auschwitz. I sort of want to read the other stuff. 21
25 Local Anasthetic by Günter Grass as translated by Ralph Manheim. Saw this in a second hand shop just after he died so I decided to go for it as my entrypoint for Grass. There's a copy of The Tin Drum boxing around here somewhere but I've not laid my hands on it. Dental work as a metaphor for political radicalism versus old-age-related indolence. Very good.
26 Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas LLosa as translated by Helen R. Lane. Romance between an 18 year old and his uncle's ex-wife in interrupted every other chapter by plots of radio serials. As the author of these serials is in the book, Vargas has great fun introducing us to quirks of his character and then having them play out in the following chapter. Good fun.
27 A Month of Sundays by John Updike. One of those fictional reverends who is sex-crazed, bitter, agnostic and pun-mad gets sent to write away his sins. It's a good thing he can write sex because that's the lion's share of this book.
28 The Day of the Locust by Nathanial West. I reread this for the first time after reading his complete works like, a decade ago. Still pretty fun.
29 Waiting for the Barbarians by J.M. Coetzee. It's basically disgrace but half the length and with a vague fantasy-setting so, uh, a categorical improvement.
30 Cat and Mouse by Günter Grass as translated by Ralph Manheim. Another later Grass as I continue to look for The Tin Drum. Beginning to suspect that Grass' political position is down entirely to his hosed-up teeth.
31 Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. The more I read this the more I like it.
32 Strong as Death by Guy de Maupassant as translated by someone or other. It's an old Knopf copy, might be Ernest Augustus Boyd? The first Maupassant I've read where it doesn't ever dive headlong into filth. I mean, she burns some letters and feels as if she's burning herself, but it's no priest stomping on a bitch birthing puppies. Good despite that though.
33 At Swim Two Birds by Flan O'Brien. Now this was a lot of fun. Any one strand of this book is great, and switching between them can be a bit of a jerk as you're sorry to leave, but I guess if that's what he had to do. 8
34 Carpenter's Gothic by WIlliam Gaddis. I've got bookmarks in both JR and Frolic but I've got a bit bogged down in them. This one's still good though. Funny to read this both with the annotations AND having read Dispatches.
35 Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Gilbraith. Very readable, not good. The only thing in this book that rings true is the utter disdain for the British press.
36 The Silkworm by Robert Gilbraith. Far too long, and they keep stacking more and more ludicrous poo poo onto the detectives (one of them's a professional-grade stunt driver, apparently?). Repeats a simile likening strong tea to turpentine like it's something clever, and not what all our grans said.
37 The Silent World of Nicholas Quin by Colin Dexter. So this is what good detective fiction looks like. Better writing, much shorter, subtle clues and a clever solution. Filled with that very creepy donnish humour, and ends with Morse and Lewis jointly masturbating to a porno. 22
38 Let Us Now Honour Famous Men by James Agee. An impassioned communist/marxist attempts to hammer into your brains the physical existence of the poor. He mostly tries to do so by making a catalog of their possessions, with actual stories of their lives smuggled in through his run-on sentences. He then includes a letter he wrote to some poor magazine hack telling them to gently caress right off, for reasons unclear to me. The man's a lunatic. 14
39 The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole. Kinda... boring? But very short.
40 Vathek by William Beckford. The same gothic silliness as Otranto, but at least Beckford had a sense of humour in his prose style. Very strong opening paragraph and it continues throughout. That kind of excess is what I really like in fiction. 13
41 The Coup by John Updike. I thought it would be interesting to see Updike struggle with both race and politics. The standard egomaniac monologist is this time the dictator of an African dictator, as he tracks across his country in mufti, when he's not been spirited by a black Mercedes to his palace to talk to one of his wives. It's pretty bizzarre. Besides more expected Updikeisms (it's not ten pages before he suggests that the many women the previous ruler murdered were asking for it) he lets his imagination go wild in a way he never does in his American books. The KGB retrofit a severed head to act as an animatronic dispensing propaganda. Pretty fun.
42 Boss by Mike Royko. A philippic against Richard Daley, former mayor of Chicago and, to hear Royko tell it, a monomaniacal monster with a naked love of power that he excises by innumerable opaque wheezes. It starts out strange how much Royko hates Chicago politics but when it gets to the race riots his rage became more comprehensible to me.
43 A Burnt Out Case by Graham Greene. A depressed architecht accidentally acts exactly like a saint, despite being so bored of this whole morality thing. A better depiction of a saint than The End of the Affair where it's truly unbelievable, but maybe not the most interesting thing to read?
44 The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges as translated by Andre Hurley. It's Borges, lots of tiby stories about labyrynths, alternate dimensions and cowboys stabbing each other. To be honest by the 50th 2-page story they all sort of blend into one. Has The Wait in it, where a chap opts to snooze through an assassination attempt, which was pointed out as one of the best by something I read ages ago. Since I've been meaning to read this for like a decade I'll say this was 16
45 Naked Lunch by William Burroughs. I decideed to take this back down off the shelf. It's kind of embarassing how much he idolized organized crime, but it's all in good fun. 20

46 Erewhon by Samuel Butler. The good stuff. I still don't entirely see how the machine chapter is a dig at evolution but I did get what he was doing with the musical banks, which I managed to totally miss first time round.
47 Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene. Pamphlet of a novel that... I guess counts as magical realist? A terrible Swiss oligarch has terrible parties where he tortures his terrible Swiss cronies, which the non-terrible, decent, depressed Greene protagonist gets invited to as his son-in-law. Broad-strokes on a postage stamp, basically.
48 Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. I read the start of an intro to this by some Hardy biographer which made two points: Conrad's the real depresso of fin de siecle English lit not Hardy like everyone says, and this book doesn't have an ending. Which is right, it really doesn't! I still like it though.
49 Mad Pilgrimage of the Flesh by John Lahr. Big biography of Tennessee Williams, the first after the death of the insane woman who somehow became the caretaker of his literary estate who'd previously scotched previous projects. Lahr structures this book chronologically following the plays, but takes the lead from the play's contents to expand on aspects of WIlliams' life. Suddenly Last Summer, for instance, leads to a whole chapter on Rose Williams' entire life. It also betrays its super-long gestation by the density of quotations . The two main revelations for me are that I didn't know he wrote so many plays, or how utterly awful he was. Also he once shared JFK's speed-dealer.
50 The Longest Journey by E.M. Forster. What an awful book, really makes you long for WW1.
51 The Conformist by Alberto Moravia as translated by Angus Davidson. Picked this up because I really liked the Bertolucci film and had no idea it was adapted. This was a delight to read, I really need to track down more Moravia, or possibly more Davidson.

51/60
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

what did you think of Homo Faber?

I quite liked it. the Surprise Twist was forshadowed pretty heavily, but everything from trip to the hospital onwards was pretty well written. It was an interesting take on the whole "man coming to grips with his own mortality" motif.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

1. The Forge of God by Greg Bear
2. The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn
3. Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo
4. To Sail a Darkling Sea by John Ringo
5. Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo
6. Strands of Sorrow by John Ringo
7. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
8. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
9. Reach for Infinity edited by Jonathan Strahan
10. The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
11. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
12. The Martian by Andy Weir
13. Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
15. Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
16. A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe
17. Cibola Burn by James S.a. Corey
18. Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima by James Mahaffey
19. The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi
20. Dr. No by Ian Fleming
21. The End is Nigh edited by John Joseph Adams
22. The End is Now by John Joseph Adams
23. Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia
24. Escaping the Dead by W.J. Lundy
25. A Hanging by George Orwell
26. Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds
27. The Spirit Thief(Eli Monpress #1) by Rachel Aaron
28. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
29. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
30. Beacon 23 Parts 1 and 2 by Hugh Howey
31. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
32. Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov
33. Life, The Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

34. The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2) by Rachel Aaron
35. Beacon 23 parts 3,4, and 5 by Hugh Howey
36. The Remaining: Allegiance (The Remaining #5) by D.J. Molles

August Update:

Things kind of fell apart in August. Picked up another new class to teach which meant my two 13 hour flights went from reading time to class prep time. Still got through a couple books, but would have preferred more and something in the booklord challenge would have been good as well.

I liked The Spirit Rebellion, more world building, a little more backstory plus mystery. I think the heist was a bit background to expanding the world and setting up the next book(maybe?). It was good enough that I will get to the next in the series sometime.

I feel like the first story of Beacon 23 was the best, but all five parts were good. Finally our lone beacon operator gets some company, stuff happens some people die and an okay conclusion for a series of short stories that could have probably used something more added to it.

Last book of August, The Remaining: Allegiance is book 5 of I guess a 6 book series. Since the author got a publishing deal in the middle of writing the series and it took extra time for this book to come out, I kind of forgot most of what happened in the previous books. So I spent the first 1/4 of the book trying to remember details of who was who, and what was going on. While there is action, it was really much more of a set up for the final book in the series. It was good and a lot better than much of the "zombie" books out there so I'll finish the series off later this year.

Next up, I'm taking a swing at a few of the booklore challenges I have left. To that end, someone want to throw me a wildcard? Preferably available for the Kindle.

Booklord Challenge
1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 36/52
2. Read a female author The Pride of Chanur
3. The non-white author A Personal Matter
4. Philosophy The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
5. History Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters
6. An essay A Hanging
8. Something post-modern Invisible Cities
9. Something absurdist Life, The Universe and Everything
11. Something on either hate or love Norwegian Wood
12. Something dealing with space Foundation
13. Something dealing with the unreal The Girl With All The Gifts
15. Something published this year or the past three months The Water Knife
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time Dr. No
17. A play The Importance of Being Earnest
18. Biography
19. The color red The Martian
21. Short story(s) Reach for Infinity
22. A mystery Murder on the Orient Express

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Things are back to normal. :toot: No new challenges completed this month, but lots of books.

Someone wildcard me please.

ltr posted:

I liked The Spirit Rebellion, more world building, a little more backstory plus mystery. I think the heist was a bit background to expanding the world and setting up the next book(maybe?). It was good enough that I will get to the next in the series sometime.

No maybe about it; The Spirit Rebellion and The Spirit Eater are where the overarching plot starts getting into gear and The Spirit War is where everything finally hits the fan. Rebellion is probably the weakest book in the series, which finishes extremely strong with War and End.

quote:

Next up, I'm taking a swing at a few of the booklore challenges I have left. To that end, someone want to throw me a wildcard? Preferably available for the Kindle.

Pick one:

Nonfiction: Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Fuel Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark. Out of print, but available in PDF. (I'm working on cleaning up the PDF and generating an epub version, but it may not be ready this year. It's a big project.)

Fiction: Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman

Booklord Challenge Update posted:

1. 75/96 books read; 14 nonfiction (19%), 25 rereads (33%)
Completed: 2-6, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22

59. David Starr, Space Ranger by Isaac Asimov
60. Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids by Isaac Asimov (reread)
61. Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus by Isaac Asimov (reread)
62. Lucky Starr and the Sun of Mercury by Isaac Asimov (reread)
63. Lucky Starr and the Moons of Jupiter by Isaac Asimov (reread)
64. Lucky Starr and the Rings of Saturn by Isaac Asimov

A series of kid's SF from the 50s, I had the middle four books growing up but never the first or last. Now I finally have all six, so it was time to read them. These were initially published as "Paul French" -- there was talk about making a TV series of them, and Asimov didn't want his name anywhere near television -- but he didn't try very hard to conceal who the author was, and after those plans were scrapped, later printings were under his own name.

These versions have prefaces that the ones I had as a child lacked, discussing how our knowledge of the solar system has changed since these were written; for example, we now know that Venus has no oceans and Jupiter's moon Io is a volcanic hellhole rather than a relatively serene ball of methane snow.

Re-reading them as an adult, two things in particular stood out:
- There's a lot of science facts inserted into the narrative. It's hard to read these and not come away with at least some knowledge of astronomy, the solar system, and physics. And while they aren't always inserted particularly smoothly, they never bring the book to a grinding halt for a science lecture either.
- There are no women. I don't just mean "all of the pro- and antagonists are male"; I mean in all six books the only female character who gets page time is an engineer's wife in Oceans of Venus, who has a line or two. Apart from that, there's a space pirate who mentions that some of them have wives and children back in the asteroids and...that's it.

65. Dream Park by Larry Niven (reread)
66. The Barsoom Project by Larry Niven (reread)
67. The California Voodoo Game by Larry Niven

The Dream Park books are basically commercial LARPing + murder mystery, but they predate organized LARPing (and indeed some modern LARP organizations take names and procedures from the Dream Park books!), and this being near-future SF, the game is augmented with holographic projections, force fields, and the like, with the GM controlling a multi-acre playing area and coordinating dozens of actors from a central control room. You end up with a sort of layer cake of plot, with the in-character progress of the game, out of character interactions between the players and NPCs, and murder investigation all occupying different layers -- and inevitably the murder investigation overlaps with the game in some manner.

Dream Park and The Barsoom Project were rereads; Voodoo Game was new. And I didn't like it; I read a few chapters in and it completely failed to engage me. It leaves me wondering if the first two books would suffer the same fate if I were reading them for the first time now, rather than getting that hit of nostalgia when I open them up.

67. Stiff: the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

This is not really a book about what happens to our bodies after we die -- chemically and biologically, I mean -- but about what people do with dead bodies. Some of the book is devoted to various forms of funeral rites, including a new and rather promising approach where they free-dry the corpse, pulverize it, put it in a biodegradable urn, and plant a tree over it, which sounds much more to my taste than either traditional cremation or being interred whole -- but most of it is about the medical and scientific uses to which we put human corpses.

68. The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

Recommended both in this thread and on IRC, recommendation was extremely solid. Loved it. As usual I don't have a lot to say about books I really liked. Even if you hate "zombie books" (and god knows there are enough terrible ones to make anyone hate them), this is worth picking up.

69. Feed by Seanan McGuire (as Mira Grant)
70. Deadline by Seanan McGuire (as Mira Grant)
71. Blackout by Seanan McGuire (as Mira Grant)

After Stiff and Gifts I decided it was time to keep riding this corpse train and finally read McGuire's Newsflesh trilogy. These are more books with zombies but they aren't zombie books, if that makes sense; in this setting the zombie "apocalypse" happened ~25 years ago, and civilization didn't collapse, it just changed. Blood tests to get indoors, licensing (with mandatory firearm training and ownership) to travel in the countryside, and suchlike. As such, this is actually a political/conspiracy thriller in a post-zombie America.

The computer security bits strained my suspension of disbelief a bit. If I were a virologist or biologist, the biology bits would probably strain it a lot. But despite that these books were fun as hell and I enjoyed every page.

72. San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats by Seanan McGuire (as Mira Grant)

A novella in the Newsflesh setting, detailing the first fully documented large-scale outbreak of the Kellis-Amberlee virus: San Diego Comic Con, 2014. Good, but you don't really have time to get fully invested in it before it's over, and if you've read the main Newsflesh books, you kind of don't want to, because you know how it ends.

73. Cold Magic by Kate Elliot
74. Cold Fire by Kate Elliot
75. Cold Steel by Kate Elliot

Kate Elliot keeps coming up in recommendations, and I tried her Jaran books and did not like the first one. I decided to give her another try with the Spiritwalker trilogy, and while I liked it enough to read through it, I don't think I'd recommend it and I probably won't be reading any more of her work.

The first book I found repeatedly jarring because I consistently failed to build a working mental model of most of the characters. I don't know if this is what actually happened, but it kind of felt like she wrote the book out of order, during which time her model of the characters changed, and then stitched it together, resulting in dramatic changes in tone even within a single scene.

In the second and third books this largely goes away, revealing the other major problem I had with it: the main character never wins. In any conflict, the best she can hope for is to escape with her goals unmet. There is no ally who will not betray her, no protector who will not sacrifice her, and no safe haven that does not conceal an ambush. And this applies to everything from small verbal skirmishes to the climatic showdowns at the ends of books 1 and 2, where, for example, her starting goal is "take revenge on those who betrayed me", this gets quickly revised to "get my family out of here safely", and even at that she fails.

It does actually end on a very upbeat and hopeful note, but it's a long and wearying grind to get there.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 6, 2015

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ToxicFrog posted:

Things are back to normal. :toot: No new challenges completed this month, but lots of books.

Someone wildcard me please.

Read Theft: A Love Story by Peter Carey.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

elbow posted:

Ah, that doesn't bode well for me! I loved the movie and bought the graphic novels immediately after but haven't yet read them because they're so inconvenient to handle. Hope I enjoy them anyway.

Sorry if I made you feel stink about buying them. If you already have the books, you may as well read them. If it's any help, remember this; at least they're not that Frank Miller book I mentioned.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Next set of reviews, up until the last book I read.

#67: Barrayar - Lois McMaster Bujold: The Hugo-winning chronological sequel to 'Shards of Honour', and it's a whole lot better than the first book. Definitely a worthy Hugo winner. 5/5

#68: Suffragette - Mary M. Talbot: The story of a fictional British suffragette in the years prior to (and including) World War One. Well-written, well-drawn, worth a look if you're interested in feminist history. 4/5.

#69: The Worrier's Guide to Life - Gemma Correll: A collection of comic drawings dealing with anxiety (and other things). A light read. 3/5.

#70: Passport to Hell - Robin Hyde: A fictionalised re-telling of the adventures of a New Zealand soldier in World War One. An interesting book, but there is some racist language (including the n-word), because it was written in the '30s and civil rights hadn't happened yet. 4/5.

#71: Angles of Attack - Marko Kloos: The third book in his military sci-fi series. The previous book in the series was nominated for a Best Novel Hugo Award by the (Sad/Rabid) Puppies, but Kloos withdrew from the Hugos, allowing The Three-Body Problem to enter (and eventually win). In that light, I was amused to see a semi-major Russian character turn out to be gay (see also: current Russian homophobia). I probably wouldn't nominate any of these books for a Hugo myself, but that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy them (or that they're not worth reading if you like military sci-fi). At the very least, you could definitely do worse in the genre. 4/5.

#72: Baldur's Gate II - Matt Bell: A very spoilery exploration of the titular game and an investigation of the author's relationship with D&D and general nerdery. Worth a read only if you've played the game (not kidding about the spoiler stuff, BTW) and can get it from a library. 3/5.

#73: Who Fears Death - Nnedi Okorafor: A magical-realist story about a young woman in an area of post-apocalyptic West Africa. Well-written and definitely worth a look if you're interested in fantasy stories about non-white women. 4/5.

#74: The Winter Boy - Sally Weiner Grotta: I decided to read this book because of a goon on Goodreads. I was not disappointed. It's a hard book to describe, but if you're interested in a fantasy book involving gender issues, it's worth a read. 4/5.

#75: The Martian - Andy Weir: I decided to read this book because I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It's OK - it's not an all-time classic, but it's not horrible either. Yes, the protagonist is a huge dork, but you get used to that by the end of the book (if you have a tolerance for dorkiness, anyway). It's readable enough. 3/5.

#76: Showa: A History of Japan, 1926-1939 - Shigeru Mizuki: In which a major manga author writes a history of Japan combined with autobiographical information. Heavily detailed (it's the first book in a series covering up until 1989), but a good read if you can get used to the manga style of reading right to left and if you're interested in Japanese history. 4/5.

#77: My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me: A Black Woman Discovers Her Family's Nazi Past - Jennifer Teege: In which the granddaughter of Amon Goeth (a.k.a the Nazi played by Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List) discusses her finding out about her familial history. Some parts of the book were more interesting than others, but I might watch Schindler's List at some point. 3/5.

#78: The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made - Greg Sestero: In which Sestosterone talks about his relationship with Tommy Wiseau and his experience acting in The Room. I kind of felt a little bit sorry for Tommy Wiseau - I wouldn't be surprised if he was mentally ill in some way. It would explain some of his behaviour. I already knew some of the details prior to reading the book, but it was still an interesting read. 4/5.

#79: Displacement: A Travelogue - Lucy Knisley: In which the author goes on a cruise with her elderly grandparents (one of whom has dementia). A meditation on mortality and travelling. 4/5.

#80: Hebdomeros - Giorgio de Chirico: A Greek literature-inspired plotless surrealist ramble, but a decent, short read if you're into that sort of thing. 3/5.

#81: Perdido Street Station - China Miéville: It's long. The first half is less interesting than the second half. I can kind of see why people complain about the ending. Despite those little nitpicks, I loved this book and I want to read more Miéville. I like American Gods, but I kinda wish this had won the Hugo Best Novel in 2002, because holy poo poo. 5/5.

#82: The Warrior's Apprentice - Lois McMaster Bujold: The third Vorkosigan book, and the first to star its main character, Miles Vorkosigan. In the book, Miles finds himself the leader of a group of mercenaries and shenanigans happen. The level of interest fluctuates a little, but it's a good beginning point if you prefer male protagonists. 4/5.

#83: Ms. Marvel, vol. 1: No Normal - G. Willow Wilson: Speaking of Hugos, this won the Best Graphic Novel at this year's awards. At the time of voting I hadn't read it, but I voted for it anyway because I'd heard good things about it and to send a middle finger to racists and misogynists. Now that I've read it, was it worthy of the award? Yes it was, haters to the left. To put it more objectively: the book was well-drawn, well-written and I'm probably going to check out future volumes. 4/5.

Currently working my way through Hector Berlioz's memoirs (as in the composer).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

August - 5:

33. Selected Poems (Edgar Allen Poe)
34. The Bookseller of Kabul (Asne Seierstad)
35. Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela)
36. We (Yevgeny Zamyatin)
37. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)

I read some Poe-try because the booklord challenge required it and my girlfriend had this collection lying around. What I learned is that I still don't have any interest in poetry.

The Bookseller of Kabul was really interesting. Seierstad does a good job of distancing herself from the family she's writing about, and it's interesting to see the clash of attitudes and ideas in this Afghan family. The patriarch Sultan is outwardly educated, liberal and progressive (in the context of, y'know, Afghanistan) and yet his family is run on strict traditional lines and in his personal life he's a tiny autocrat.

Long Walk to Freedom I doubt I can say much about that hasn't been said a hundred times before. I found it fascinating and it's interesting to see how much the South African Communist Party features in the narrative since that's sort of forgotten about when people talk about Mandela and the ANC these days (or maybe I just haven't ever heard much about him, which is also possible).

We I really enjoyed. You can see the obvious influence it had on Brave New World and 1984. It's weak in some ways (the characters are pretty thin and the society as described doesn't seem to fit with the society as is revealed in the narrative) but it was interesting to think about and very prescient of how then-future totalitarian states functioned.

The Bell Jar I read because my girlfriend loved. I don't think I liked it as much as she did, but it was still interesting and Plath draws out the descent into madness very well. It's interesting to see that Plath herself thought of it as being amateurish given how it's ended up being regarded in some circles.

I've posted a little late in September and in that time I've read like 3 other books but I'll save them for next time.

Year to Date: 32

01. The Establishment: And how they get away with it (Owen Jones)
02. Mussolini and Fascist Italy (Martin Blinkhorn)
03. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
04. All You Need is Kill (Hiroshi Sakurazaka)
05. Theft: A Love Story (Peter Carey)
06. Stalin (Kevin McDermott)
07. Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)
08. Revenge (Yoko Ogawa)
09. The Good Soldier Svejk and his Fortunes in the Great War (Jaroslav Hasek)
10. The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro)
11. after the quake (Haruki Murakami)
12. The Colour of Magic (Terry Pratchett)
13. The Light Fantastic (Terry Pratchett)
14. The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope and Survival in Theresienstadt (Hannelore Brenner)
15. Equal Rites (Terry Pratchett)
16. Invisible Cities (Italo Calvino)
17. Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956 (Anne Applebaum)
18. Running with the Kenyans (Adharanand Finn)
19. Notes from Underground and The Double (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
20. First Novel (Nicholas Royle)
21. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
22. Mort (Terry Pratchett)
23. Schlump (Hans Herbert Grimm)
24. Concrete (Thomas Bernhard)
25. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William L. Shirer)
26. The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)
27. The Pale Horseman (Bernard Cornwell)
28. Beauty and Sadness (Yasunari Kawabata)
29. The Blind Owl (Sadegh Hedayat)
30. The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell)
31. Sophie's World (Jostein Gaarder)
32. The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)
33. Selected Poems (Edgar Allen Poe)
34. The Bookseller of Kabul (Asne Seierstad)
35. Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela)
36. We (Yevgeny Zamyatin)
37. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)

Booklord categories: 2 - 11, 13 - 15, 18 - 22.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I haven't updated at all this year, so I'm just going to add a couple of the best books I've read so far. The rest are here.

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen - A classic romance which isn't sappy or trying at all. The characters were interesting and well developed, and it was really funny in parts.

Collected Stories and Other Writings, by Katherine Anne Porter - This books consists of three parts, the short stories, some reviews of books and authors, and personal writings - her history, personal experiences and suchlike. The main highlight is obviously the short stories. They're well crafted and a few of the later ones blew me away. The difference you'll see between this book and just the short story collections is the reviews and personal writings. You'll feel like you almost sort of got to know her a bit. It's a long book, but rewarding experience.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.
2. Read a female author - Pride and Prejudice.
3. The non-white author
4. Philosophy - On Being Blue.
5. History - The Civil War, Vol. 1.
6. An essay
7. A collection of poetry - Canticle of the Rose.
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love - Northanger Abbey.
12. Something dealing with space - The Seedling Stars.
13. Something dealing with the unreal - American Vampire, Vol. 1.
14. Wildcard
15. Something published this year or the past three months - The Wolf Border (really good book).
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red - Anne of Green Gables (she has red hair).
20. Something banned or censored - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
21. Short story(s) - The Last Wish.
22. A mystery

I am much further behind than I thought I'd be by now, and that is with stretching the definition of a few of these. This is going to put a kink in my reading plans for the rest of the year. Oh well.

Also, someone give me a wildcard book!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Fellwenner posted:

Also, someone give me a wildcard book!

Pulphead by John Jeremiah Sullivan

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

43: Strike! Hero from the Sky by Charlie Woods
44: Crossfire by Nancy Kress

Crossfire was mostly pretty enjoyable. Some nice characters, sfairly treated, some interesting aliens, but it was a little too light on its treatment of relativistic space travel and time dilation, and their impacts, I felt, and contained the single worst 'as you know' speech I've ever come across, which was incredibly out of character for the person concerned - a normally quiet and reserved Quaker - and literally started with the phrase "You already know this, I'm sure, but I'm going to tell you anyway." The information could easily have been written more carefully into the text. But I wasn't put off by it, and I found the conclusion satisfying, if a little... open.

Moving on, I think I'm going to read the biography of Alexander Graham Bell I picked up on holiday.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Progress: 14 of 25 books

1. The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell. 5/5.
2. The Martian, Andy Weir. 2/5. Booklord Challenge 1 completed: Read a book about space.
3. The Blind Owl, Sadegh Hedayat. 0/5. Booklord Challenge 2 completed: Read this lovely book.
4. Atlas of Remote Islands - Fifty Islands I have Never Set Foot On and Never Will, Judith Schalansky. 5/5 Booklord Challenge 3 completed: Read a female author.
5. The Golem and The Djinni, Helene Wecker. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 4 completed: Read a book about the unreal.
6. The Magicians, Lev Grossman. 5/5
7. The Magician King, Lev Grossman. 5/5
8. The Magician's Land, Lev Grossman. 5/5
9. Wolf In White Van, John Darnielle. 5/5
10. The Water Knife, Paolo Bacigalupi. 3.5/5 Booklord Challenge 5 completed: Read a book published in the last three months to a year.
11. Anathem, Neal Stephenson. 4/5
12. The Woman In the Dunes, Kobo Abe. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 6 completed: Read a book written by a non-cracker.
13ish - Drabin In Love, from City of Saints and Madmen, Jeff Vandermeer. 1 out of 5 stars. Booklord Challenge 7 completed: Read a short story.
14. Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel. 5 out of 5 stars.

15. Broken Monsters, Lauren Beukes. Very interesting blend of suspense, horror and - right at the very end - the supernatural. It's a gamble to take the twist Beukes did at the end, but I really liked it. The build-up was pretty long in the book, which is why I docked it one star, but then it all rushes to a gripping conclusion. I enjoyed the embedded commentary on modern Internet/media culture as well. Recommended. 4 out of 5 stars.

16. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History, Elizabeth Kolbert. This could have been better. The author gives a good general overview of the damage we're doing to the environment, but she doesn't get very deep into the "why" of a lot of interesting topics. In the end it felt like a strung together travelouge of places we're screwing up, without much of a detailed dive. Kolbert is a good writer too, so this was disappointing. 3 out of 5 stars/ Booklord Challenge 8 completed: Read a book about hate. This is basically about how we're destroying the world and don't give a gently caress.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Someone wildcard me, been reading too many duds of late.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Over to You by Roald Dahl

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

High Warlord Zog posted:

Over to You by Roald Dahl

Not bad, but also not available at any of my libraries. I'd have to order it from the UK which is a pain in the butt. I'll add it to my list though. Anyone got something I can find?

Argali fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 20, 2015

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Argali posted:

Not bad, but also not available at any of my libraries. I'd have to order it from the UK which is a pain in the butt. I'll add it to my list though. Anyone got something I can find?

Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood.

Somebody wildcard me now please.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Read the Dahl book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

High Warlord Zog posted:

Read the Dahl book.

• Locked thread