Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Venture ingenuity deano you have got to try this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
It feels like a guy with a fever is yelling at my crotch!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Stop saying "dab"!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Dabbing really does work though, they should put little half size TP rolls next to urinals.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

X_Toad posted:

That turned out to be not true. Another proof that lack of common sense, like alcoholism, runs through the Archer bloodline.

I choose not to believe and continue to think he's a Hitler.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Nice! posted:

The loving intro with major tom did it for me.

Same for me and my older brother, led us to discovering David Bowie as well, really though almost everything about the show is near perfect(I'll admit a couple Seaspn 3 & 4 episodes didn't quite sit with me right due to hitting the cynical side a bit too hard though)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X_Toad posted:

That rarely happens in Archer, at least in my experience. Could you give us some examples?

Like for Venture Brothers, I wouldn't recommend every Season 1 episode for Archer. Out of ten, I would only recommend five : Diversity Hire, Killing Utne, Honeypot (if there was only one, it would be this one), Skytanic and The Rock.

It's more something in Sealab. A lot of Sparks/Murphy interactions are like that.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We still have the masked Dr Venture (or possible lookalike, or something else) yet to be introduced, any idea on what that was about yet?

I don't remember this but I'm only on the page after it but what was this?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Frostwerks posted:

I don't remember this but I'm only on the page after it but what was this?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Somehow I managed to catch Venture Bros from the very first episode, but it wasn't until Tag Sale that I knew I'd be sticking with it.

Ghosts of the Sargasso had the good early gag with Brock trying to get Hank to snap a guy's neck, though.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've been watching since the pilot which I even loved at the time so all you motherfuckers can get lost :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frostwerks posted:

I've been watching since the pilot which I even loved at the time so all you motherfuckers can get lost :colbert:

So have I :colbert:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Frostwerks posted:

Sash! posted:

So have I :colbert:

:jackbud: nobody cares

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It didn't air in Canada until forever after it was on Adult Swim, so the first episode I saw was the last episode of the first season.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lord Frisk posted:

:jackbud: nobody cares

Give me head.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Frostwerks posted:

Give me head.

You did NOT just say that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Way to be useless, dean.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
If I'm trying to turn on a fellow to the Venture Bros, I show them Past Tense. One of my great regrets in life is that I made the mistake of trying to get the guy who was my best friend at the time to watch Venture Bros, but I showed him the first episode instead of Past Tense. It didn't even occur to me that the guy was a huge Coen brothers fan and he'd like Past Tense because of that. I think Past Tense is my favorite episode of all time.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Now that it's been brought up, Return To The House Of Mummies - Part II would probably be a great introductory episode. It shows off all the main characters really well, gives some backstory on Rusty and his dad, doesn't tie into continuity in a burdensome way (you could pair it with Tag Sale if you need the deep, rich backstory of Rusty's shrink ray) and is extremely quotable.

Tag Sale! is probably the correct answer in most cases, but I think House of Mummies looks and sounds more like later era Venture Bros, and might just be a better episode overall.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It also helps that the nature of Mummies's fake second part structure means that it's okay to be confused during it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Maduo posted:

Now that it's been brought up, Return To The House Of Mummies - Part II would probably be a great introductory episode. It shows off all the main characters really well, gives some backstory on Rusty and his dad, doesn't tie into continuity in a burdensome way (you could pair it with Tag Sale if you need the deep, rich backstory of Rusty's shrink ray) and is extremely quotable.

Tag Sale! is probably the correct answer in most cases, but I think House of Mummies looks and sounds more like later era Venture Bros, and might just be a better episode overall.
Yeah I've tried with Ghosts of the Sargasso a couple times, but I think Mummies would work better and will probably do it next time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I introduced five people with a double whammy of Escape to the House of Mummies and Ghosts of the Sargasso aaaaand... No dice.

They laughed several times, for sure, but sweet lord in heaven, this show is a hard sell. I honestly think the best way might just be to pencil in a few hours, get in some beers and rinse the first season.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tag Sale, Ghosts of the Sargasso, and Trial of the Monarch. If that doesn't work, it won't work.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Maduo posted:

I've converted a couple people to Venture Bros with only Return To The House Of Mummies - Part II.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
"Not cooties, clueties!"

"Sherlock homo"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Reminds me of trying to sell my Steven Universe loving friend on Rick and Morty. I showed him episode one, when I should have shown him the one with the dogs or Cronenburg world.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What you should have done is sever his jugular with a rusty knife.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

notZaar posted:

What you should have done is sever his jugular with a rusty knife.

Now THAT's a Rusty Venture.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Reminds me of trying to sell my Steven Universe loving friend on Rick and Morty. I showed him episode one, when I should have shown him the one with the dogs or Cronenburg world.

That's how I tend to watch shows: I start with the first few. Maybe that's why I can't find new shows to watch.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ithaqua posted:

That's how I tend to watch shows: I start with the first few. Maybe that's why I can't find new shows to watch.

"Oh, you should just watch the whole first season/this later season/these particular episodes" is a sign of Stockholm Syndrome. If a show can't deliver within a couple episodes of the pilot, it's probably not worth watching.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

If a show can't deliver within a couple episodes of the pilot, it's probably not worth watching.

Seinfeld and Star Trek: The Next Generation, right out then.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sash! posted:

Seinfeld and Star Trek: The Next Generation, right out then.

It's Always Sunny and Parks and Rec can probably be tossed as well, if that's the criteria

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I was actually thinking about Parks and Rec. The show develops into something bigger than S1, but the first season lays all the groundwork and is funnier than people give it credit for.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Babylon 5 is a great show with an awful first season. The contrast between season 3 novel-for-television episodes and season 1 "humans may not fight in the mu tai!!" crap is stark. Frankly the first five episodes of VB don't really impress me and I probably would not have watched the show if that were my introduction.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Babylon 5 is a great show with an awful first season. The contrast between season 3 novel-for-television episodes and season 1 "humans may not fight in the mu tai!!" crap is stark. Frankly the first five episodes of VB don't really impress me and I probably would not have watched the show if that were my introduction.

Yeah, I stopped after the first few the first time my friend tried to get me into it, it was only when I got to the Ghosts of the Sargasso and then Tag Sale that I really got interested in the show. Honestly I think Tag Sale should have been a much earlier episode, it basically sets up the entire supporting cast and sets the toen of the humour for the rest of the show, everything prior asides from Ghosts and the joy can episode was kinda weak

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's Always Sunny and Parks and Rec can probably be tossed as well, if that's the criteria

Funny that you mention that... It's Always Sunny I loved right from the start, but that was 10 years ago and it was refreshingly different from the other shows on the air. But even then, I'm in the weirdo minority that would have liked to see how the show evolved without Danny DeVito's influence, even though he's fantastic.

I made it through 2 episodes of Parks and Rec before I gave up. I couldn't even make it through the second episode of Rick and Morty. Or maybe the first. I don't know, I couldn't stand it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think my first exposure to Venture Bros was the episode where Dean is getting married to Baron Underbheit. It wasn't a deliberate "hey this show rocks" thing, we were just lazing in front of a TV and it happened to be on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My first exposure to Venture Bros was from randomly changing the channel and catching the end of episodes, either the one where Rusty finds his melted toy in the space station or the one where he spares his brother after J.J. tried to kill him (I have a weird knack for catching shows at random times).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I had a friend who told me it was a fantastic show and I had to watch it because I would love it. Eventually I started watching it on Netflix, starting at the beginning, and I was pretty psyched even during that first episode. (Mostly because of Brock.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Parks and Rec season 2 is a very different show thanks to them bringing in the late Harris Wittels to rework it and nothing actually happens in season 1 that you can't pick up from context or watching the pilot at most. I always tell people to either watch the pilot or skip season 1 altogether and go back later if they feel like it, and that seems successful.