Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.

General Emergency posted:

You are in luck: "This is the last ever alpha video for Prison Architect, and we will be launching version 1.0 in October."

I also heavily recommend Prison Architect. It's like Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper except your enemies (prisoners) are also your citizens and you have to figure out how to keep them entertained, well-fed, and eventually reform them into productive members of society when they are releas...

Ah, who am I kidding. They're all complete bastards and deserve to be kept in the most horrible conditions that won't result in their rioting and burning your prison down, and if they do riot I promptly hotdrop a dozen body-armored shotgun and tazer-armed guards into the middle of the mob to restore order (Or not...it's hideously expensive and usually all you can afford to do is hire a few more guards with batons who will go in and promptly get shanked).

And then that one legendary prisoner arrives who can somehow shrug off multiple tazer shots, kill and knock down solitary doors in one punch, and disarm armed guards before going on a murdering rampage that kills half of your security force, until you manage to take him down and then proceed to wall him off in some godforsaken maximum security cell to rot.

Not to mention prison design itself is a wetdream for fortress-builders. Every door can be wired to open remotely by guard control or during specific times in your prison regime, and there is everything from fences and staff doors to perimeter walls and blast doors (mod) to keep your inmates inside. And this doesn't even take into account tunneling and gangs and a whole bunch of other poo poo you have to find ways to deal with.

Lycaeon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Lycaeon posted:

Eh, I'll give this thread a go. I'm looking for a Dwarf-fortress style game (Except without the horrible graphics or unnecessary complex stuff) that has to deal with building a fortress/base/stronghold, managing its resources, and defending it from the alien invaders/zombies/enemy soldiers.

Multiplayer is a plus, but not absolutely needed.

And for the love of god don't mention Clash of Clans.

Thanks for your time.

MGSV :v:

It's not really DF-style but what about Stronghold Crusader 2?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

sticklefifer posted:

I have a group of old RL friends I play online with pretty regularly and we think MOBA games would be a good way to get us all in a big battle against each other, but a couple of them are either sick of or outright dislike fantasy settings. Any good MOBAs that aren't high fantasy? Something with a historical setting perhaps?

In my opinion Heroes of the Storm is the only good MOBA out there. There isn't even a second place.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In my opinion Heroes of the Storm is the only good MOBA out there. There isn't even a second place.

HotS' playerbase is even worse than the one from DOTA2, tho

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

and judging by google images, it's extreme high fantasy

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Linnaeus posted:

and judging by google images, it's extreme high fantasy

There's Starcraft dudes, but yeah kinda. I wish I could have suggested Super Monday Night Combat but that games userbase ate itself and now the game is dead... I guess my point is, if you don't like Heroes of the Storm, you should probably just avoid the MOBA genre as a whole.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Lycaeon posted:

Eh, I'll give this thread a go. I'm looking for a Dwarf-fortress style game (Except without the horrible graphics or unnecessary complex stuff) that has to deal with building a fortress/base/stronghold, managing its resources, and defending it from the alien invaders/zombies/enemy soldiers.

Thanks for your time.

I recommend Factorio, wherein you do all those things but there are no dwarves. You do get helper robots who can build/repair your base/rebuild the base after aliens eat the poo poo out of it because you forgot to arm the guns

Factorio is the Ur-Resource-Management game. And it has multiplayer!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lycaeon posted:

Thanks for your time.

Rimworld is pretty great.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can anyone think of any turn based strategy titles that calculate player turns simultaneously? I know most 4Xs technically do, but it's not in that Diplomacy-style, chart out your moves then they all occur as a single step sort of way. The idea came up during a brainstorming session with a game-dev group, but I can't think of concrete examples.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Triskelli posted:

Can anyone think of any turn based strategy titles that calculate player turns simultaneously? I know most 4Xs technically do, but it's not in that Diplomacy-style, chart out your moves then they all occur as a single step sort of way. The idea came up during a brainstorming session with a game-dev group, but I can't think of concrete examples.

Multiplayer Space Empires 4 works this way, and single player has the option of being simultaneous or sequential.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Triskelli posted:

Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Lycaeon posted:

Eh, I'll give this thread a go. I'm looking for a Dwarf-fortress style game (Except without the horrible graphics or unnecessary complex stuff) that has to deal with building a fortress/base/stronghold, managing its resources, and defending it from the
It's been said before, but check out Rimworld! The building aspect could have a bit more depth (quite literally, there's no Z dimension) than what you're looking for. Gameplay wise it's very much like DF, but with better graphics. You can tell the same kinds of stories regarding your named characters as you would for DF.

Still early access, but I found the previous release good enough to sink many hours into.

Before I played Rimworld, I thought Gnomoria was the best DF-like game with a user interface that's not poo poo. But I had far more fun with Rimworld than I ever did with Gnomoria.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Also if you're up for it being a very, very lonely "fortress" then Factorio's pretty fun and scratches a lot of that kind of itch for me at least, even if I'm just setting up some turrets and autominers and leaving, but they're no less brainless than the average Dwarf Fortress, Gnomoria, Towns, etc -dweller really.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I have a group of old RL friends I play online with pretty regularly and we think MOBA games would be a good way to get us all in a big battle against each other, but a couple of them are either sick of or outright dislike fantasy settings. Any good MOBAs that aren't high fantasy? Something with a historical setting perhaps?

Have you checked out Smite? It's free to play and the playable characters are all gods and goddesses from real world religions in mythologically/historically-inspired settings like Mount Olympus, the Colosseum, etc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

The Dominions games do this - exactly in the diplomacy style of "everyone submits their turn, then they are all resolved at once". Probably due to their multiplayer, play-by-email focus, but even when playing against the AI the game works like that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Dominions games do this - exactly in the diplomacy style of "everyone submits their turn, then they are all resolved at once". Probably due to their multiplayer, play-by-email focus, but even when playing against the AI the game works like that.

Agreed, with the caveat that the AI is ridiculously dumb and will teach you bad habits. Multiplayer is where it's at.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Even the battles work this way. You set up a script during your turn, which tells your units what to do should they meet enemy units and defines their starting position. Your basic troops have some general orders of which you can choose one, while your commanders have 5 slots to give them a specific order, which is what you use to cast a particular spell, before doing one of a set of broader orders, like the troops.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I love space games. I've a craving right now and I don't know what to play. I don't want stuff too old school. I loved Tie Fighter and such but I want something more actual/developped (not just combat).

Star Citizen: My PC is not ready for this (and SC is not ready for my PC).
Elite Dangerous: Played alot, now bored.
X3: Played alot, lost my savegame, not feeling courageous enough to start from scratch again.
X Rebirth: meh.
Starpoint Gemini 2: Didn't like it

I like other kind of space games like SPAZ, VoidExpanse, etc but I would prefer something more FPSS (First Persone Space Shooter?)

Thanks! :D

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Drox Operative. Just do it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I love space games. I've a craving right now and I don't know what to play. I don't want stuff too old school. I loved Tie Fighter and such but I want something more actual/developped (not just combat).

X3: Played alot, lost my savegame, not feeling courageous enough to start from scratch again.

I like other kind of space games like SPAZ, VoidExpanse, etc but I would prefer something more FPSS (First Persone Space Shooter?)

Space Rangers 2 HD

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex

Also Laser Squad: Nemesis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Freelancer

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Take the plunge you gutless lightweight! :argh:

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I am waiting for another game like X3 to come along (maybe with a bit more of an intuitive learning curve). Doesn't even matter the setting as long as I can set up my trade routes and become lord of all that I survey.

The feeling of having a humble ship and going from having nothing to ruling everything in that game is unparalleled. Really felt like I actually earned it. Nothing else that I've played has scratched that itch, not even Mount and Blade.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Triskelli posted:

Go back to a classic. you want Laser Squad: Nemesis. never been done better than that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lycaeon posted:

Thanks for your time.

Gnomoria.

Factorio.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Space Rangers 2 HD

After much hemming and hawing and web searching, replaying this as of two days ago. Like the asker, my heart's really longing for the inside of a cockpit. There's just nothing out there that truly scratches the itch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

After much hemming and hawing and web searching, replaying this as of two days ago. Like the asker, my heart's really longing for the inside of a cockpit. There's just nothing out there that truly scratches the itch.

I know exactly what you mean, it's the closest I could think of but... :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is there anything like Harvest Moon or Rune Factory but on PC? I remember hearing about one game like it, but I forgot the name.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah same here... Drox Operative didn't do it for me neither... But thanks all for the suggestions!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is there anything like Harvest Moon or Rune Factory but on PC? I remember hearing about one game like it, but I forgot the name.

the only pc option i know of is world's dawn, which is just okay. stardew valley is another game, but who knows when it'll be out

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Linnaeus posted:

the only pc option i know of is world's dawn, which is just okay. stardew valley is another game, but who knows when it'll be out

Linnaeus already said the best two matches.

I think Factorio and Gnomoria scratch some of the same itches though. They've both got threads here on SA you can check out.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I just played the Disgaea 5 demo and I'm super excited about it and want to play one of the previous ones in preparation.

I have all of PS2 and PS3 ones but I've only really played a bit of the first (I used to buy a lot of games that I never played, so sue me), do they just keep getting better so I should play number 4 or was there a best one along the way?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

markgreyam posted:

I just played the Disgaea 5 demo and I'm super excited about it and want to play one of the previous ones in preparation.

I have all of PS2 and PS3 ones but I've only really played a bit of the first (I used to buy a lot of games that I never played, so sue me), do they just keep getting better so I should play number 4 or was there a best one along the way?

4 is the one the vita thread recommended to me as best recently but 5 is out in like 10 days. you won't have time to even crack the surface of 4's massive pile of content before then.

you could wait on 5 for a price drop i guess considering it looks like they made it on a handheld budget from what i've played of the demo. It felt very cheap looking blown up on my tv but maybe i'm used to the small screen.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'm probably going to waste money on the CE from NIS so I'll get it anyway. I didn't pay attention that it was only 10 days out, I might just mess with 4 for a while anyway, thanks.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

LLSix posted:

Linnaeus already said the best two matches.

I think Factorio and Gnomoria scratch some of the same itches though. They've both got threads here on SA you can check out.

I haven't played Factorio but Gnomoria has definitely scratched that itch for me. The farming is relatively well done and progression was interesting as well. You can set up orchards for a variety of foods, plot land for your standard agriculture stuff (including a neat brewing option), raise animals for slaughter or shearing, and then cook the foods for meals that are more useful for the gnomes than just eating the apples/oranges off the trees. I grabbed the thing for like $3 on sale a while back and have been really surprised at how much fun I've had with it. You can disable enemy spawning if you really want to play a peaceful game too.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in the mood for a strategy / sim / builder game.

My friend recommended Cities : Skylines, Prison Architect, and Rimworld. All three are $30.

Would anyone here recommend one over the other, or throw something else in the mix? I don't mind combat, as I used to enjoy Seven Kingdoms and Knights of the Realm way back in the day.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

doctorfrog posted:

Evochron Mercenary maybe?

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I'm in the mood for a strategy / sim / builder game.

My friend recommended Cities : Skylines, Prison Architect, and Rimworld. All three are $30.

Would anyone here recommend one over the other, or throw something else in the mix? I don't mind combat, as I used to enjoy Seven Kingdoms and Knights of the Realm way back in the day.

I really enjoyed Prison Architect and Rimworld. PI will be going v1.0 pretty soon and have a cool prison escape mode alongside the standard builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Yar The Pirate posted:

I really enjoyed Prison Architect and Rimworld. PI will be going v1.0 pretty soon and have a cool prison escape mode alongside the standard builder.

Excellent, PA it is. Rimworld looks like it is on hold indefinitely, so I'll go with the more completed product.