Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

Hahaha, did anyone else not know there was a black plague event? I just picked up the restore the roman empire, pentarch and mend the schism achievements, and literally one year later every county in the empire has black death smoke over it and I've got a backlog of 400+ "____ has contracted/died of buebonic plague" alerts.

:pusheen:

Yep. The black death only occurs once in the 14th century, but it's by far the most lethal disease in the game. I made a mod so it more reliably spawns, but I'll need to fish up the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

At one of the start dates there was an Indian Ruler who was 130 years old and whose only heir was 100 years old and if you picked him the game immediately went "oh poo poo what are these guys doing alive" and killed both of them and you lost.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Da heck did they have those guys in for

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Oh, why the gently caress not ask here?

For awhile now I've been looking for things and how to do them in a pretty specific vein: how to have a big empire playthrough with as amazon-like religion/culture/rulership/dynasty ect. I've managed to mod most things to my satisfaction, but some really hard poo poo (like trying to transform the autocephalous Patriarchy into a Matriarchy - having the AI random generate only female pentarchs) just constantly keeps bugging out on me and I'm fed up with the time I threw into it all.

So I put it to you folks in here: Is there a mod out there by this point, that focuses on this kind of thing? Like I said, I already know how to mod in laws like enatic succession or job availability for both sexes, but I never manage to make it go all the way (not just enabling it for women, but also forbidding it for men), to the point where it'd be rare to see a man in a position of power within my realm.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Where is the mighty Asperg dynasty located? I know they have barony somewhere just north of the alps, but I forget where exactly. I need to play a game where I try to make as many royal houses in Europe be proud aspergers!

Also, does anyone have any favorite "hidden" dynasties out there? I know the von Hohenzollerns hold a barony in the 1066 start, and the Hapsburgs are not too far away in a county in upper burgundy - and I also know that each developer has a dynasty of their own hidden away somewhere. Are there any other fun ones out and about?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I once got a Jewish character in my court who was from Oswiecim. That was a depressing coincidence.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Where is the mighty Asperg dynasty located? I know they have barony somewhere just north of the alps, but I forget where exactly. I need to play a game where I try to make as many royal houses in Europe be proud aspergers!

Also, does anyone have any favorite "hidden" dynasties out there? I know the von Hohenzollerns hold a barony in the 1066 start, and the Hapsburgs are not too far away in a county in upper burgundy - and I also know that each developer has a dynasty of their own hidden away somewhere. Are there any other fun ones out and about?

There's the bad guy from the brothers lionheart in gotland.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CrazyLoon posted:

Oh, why the gently caress not ask here?

For awhile now I've been looking for things and how to do them in a pretty specific vein: how to have a big empire playthrough with as amazon-like religion/culture/rulership/dynasty ect. I've managed to mod most things to my satisfaction, but some really hard poo poo (like trying to transform the autocephalous Patriarchy into a Matriarchy - having the AI random generate only female pentarchs) just constantly keeps bugging out on me and I'm fed up with the time I threw into it all.

So I put it to you folks in here: Is there a mod out there by this point, that focuses on this kind of thing? Like I said, I already know how to mod in laws like enatic succession or job availability for both sexes, but I never manage to make it go all the way (not just enabling it for women, but also forbidding it for men), to the point where it'd be rare to see a man in a position of power within my realm.

There's an Amazonian mod on the pdox forums

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-amazonias-return.875086/

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Da heck did they have those guys in for

There was a typo and their birth dates were off by 100 years

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Apparently there's still a Merovingian kicking around somewhere in the Charlemange start with records all the way back to Clovis, but I haven't been able to find him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently there's still a Merovingian kicking around somewhere in the Charlemange start with records all the way back to Clovis, but I haven't been able to find him.

The king of Asturias in the Charlie start is a direct descendant of Clovis, also distantly related to Justinian.

Good luck not getting your poo poo kicked in by the Ummayads, though.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Huh, need to look there more. Thanks - this'll deffo help me out a lot.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Yashichi posted:

There was a typo and their birth dates were off by 100 years

ahaha thats rich

man now thats a real ironman playthrough

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So I've slowly realized making a large-scale mod like Rise of Islam is tough when you're still learning how to mod. So I've decided to make some tiny, minor mods to help me learn how to code events, localisation and governments too.

Now I've decided to make a tiny mod involving Iceland in 769. Iceland wasn't settled by the Norse until 870, which works for the Old Gods start date but not Charlemagne. My solution is to put Inuit or some North Atlantic tribe on the island instead. I'd also mod in a new pagan religion for them. I also have an idea for a seal/whale hunting event chain.

It may be ahistorical as gently caress, but I think it'll turn out fun.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

Tried that. Half my "superior" troops got killed in a Pyrrhic victory against an equivalent sized force, then the Buddhists called in allies outnumbering me three to one.

Bad luck I guess? To me it was a walk in the park, just took one after the other, wiping all their troops with minimum losses. I think helps a lot if your ruler have has high martial like mine did .

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So I've slowly realized making a large-scale mod like Rise of Islam is tough when you're still learning how to mod. So I've decided to make some tiny, minor mods to help me learn how to code events, localisation and governments too.

Now I've decided to make a tiny mod involving Iceland in 769. Iceland wasn't settled by the Norse until 870, which works for the Old Gods start date but not Charlemagne. My solution is to put Inuit or some North Atlantic tribe on the island instead. I'd also mod in a new pagan religion for them. I also have an idea for a seal/whale hunting event chain.

It may be ahistorical as gently caress, but I think it'll turn out fun.

I keep running into stumbling blocks with my own modding. I eventually want to make a moderately-sized mod with a number of unique events and decisions, but I know my limits and am currently focusing on the basics: Two traits and perhaps four events. The traits are easy enough and, in preparation for this post, I actually solved one of the biggest problems I was having (Where the game keeps things like EVTDESC76006), but I do still have a silly question, just for confirmation: I can create my own event and localisation files, yes? I'm not forced to append my stuff into an existing one?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The thing that really frustrates me about CK2 modding is that everything is defined across dozens of files scattered throughout multiple directories.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Dareon posted:

I can create my own event and localisation files, yes? I'm not forced to append my stuff into an existing one?

Yes, as long as it's not modifying an existing event.

Localisation files can be new files yet can also modify existing entries (ie, you could rename Germanic back from Norse without editing the file that has "norse_pagan") so you have a bit more freedom with them.

GunnerJ posted:

The thing that really frustrates me about CK2 modding is that everything is defined across dozens of files scattered throughout multiple directories.

I just wish the localisation files were better organized. :smith:

Also, I got a lot done with the Inuit mini-mod. I'll post some pictures later today.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is what the Character Finder (in the bottom right corner of the box in the bottom right corner) is for! Just load up a game and type in the name of the Dynasty you want, then click their portrait and then their coat of arms to zoom to their capital county. Retire, find them, and play.

Edit: There aren't any living Merovingians in the 769 start.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 21, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

GunnerJ posted:

I take back what I said earlier. I'm getting really pissed off trying to find where the hell pdox put the "Reform Religion" decision so I can mod in my religion. :argh:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

I take back what I said earlier. I'm getting really pissed off trying to find where the hell pdox put the "Reform Religion" decision so I can mod in my religion. :argh:
That's not a decision. Religions that can reform are defined in the main religions file (/common/religions/*), and the mechanic is hardcoded I believe. Holy sites are defined in landed_titles.txt

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

lurksion posted:

That's not a decision. Religions that can reform are defined in the main religions file (/common/religions/*), and the mechanic is hardcoded I believe. Holy sites are defined in landed_titles.txt

Yup, just had a spelling error. :shepicide: Everything works again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

NewMars posted:

There's the bad guy from the brothers lionheart in gotland.

This rules.

When is he?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yup, just had a spelling error. :shepicide: Everything works again.

Haha, yeah, I decided to work on a mod that adds just stuff, I figured I'd add some cultures, right now it's basically just my Cornish mod, plus a bunch of Norse melting pots, but I just started. Anyway, I've somehow wiped out Russian culture and I'm not sure what I did wrong or how to fix it. Russian culture is just noculture, I didn't mess around with any of those provinces, so it must be something I did in the cultures file, but Russian in my mod and Russian in the vanilla cultures.txt appear to be exactly the same. I ran it through the Validator and it tells me that it can't parse my cultures.txt because the file was not properly closed with a closing bracket, but everything there seems fine too? It's only Russian that's missing.

Edit: Fixed it, did indeed have a missing bracket, assumed it would be at the end due to the way it was worded though, but never mind that, Russian culture is back (the bracket was nowhere near Russian).

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 22, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Alright! Time to show off some what I've been doing for pretty much the last 24 hours.

We got Inuits living on Iceland in 769, what more could you ask for? And yes, they are wearing Norse clothing, thanks for asking. What else?

A whole new pagan religion for you to ignore!

Giant loving names that make no sense in your native tongue!
It says "Island that is frozen"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Alright! Time to show off some what I've been doing for pretty much the last 24 hours.

We got Inuits living on Iceland in 769, what more could you ask for? And yes, they are wearing Norse clothing, thanks for asking. What else?

A whole new pagan religion for you to ignore!

Giant loving names that make no sense in your native tongue!
It says "Island that is frozen"

Nice, I like it at least. Although, it is spelled "Arctic."

Meanwhile I found that you can have an event description that's too long after I adapted a quote from Conan. Oh well, I think I got the good parts at least, it should still be recognisable.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

catlord posted:

Nice, I like it at least. Although, it is spelled "Arctic."

:suicide: drat misspellings.

I need to change the name anyway. It started as Inuit Pagan but I changed that after it said "You are playing as a Inuit Inuit Pagan" and now I saw it say "Ar(c)tic Pagan Pagan" so back to the drawing board. I have a reformed name for it already, Kilarukilisiilak, but coming up with a bland unreformed name is hard. Maybe Polar? North Arctic?

Also, this religion may be worse than West African. You got no boats on an island at the farthest point from civilization. With pagan prestige penalties. It's bad.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:suicide: drat misspellings.

I need to change the name anyway. It started as Inuit Pagan but I changed that after it said "You are playing as a Inuit Inuit Pagan" and now I saw it say "Ar(c)tic Pagan Pagan" so back to the drawing board. I have a reformed name for it already, Kilarukilisiilak, but coming up with a bland unreformed name is hard. Maybe Polar? North Arctic?

Also, this religion may be worse than West African. You got no boats on an island at the farthest point from civilization. With pagan prestige penalties. It's bad.

Most of the vanilla names for the ethnic pagan religions just use the first half of whatever ethnicity the religion pertains to, e.g. "Germanic" instead of "Germanic Pagan" and "Slavic" instead of "Slavic Pagan".

So I guess just using "Inuit" (or "Thule" if you wanted to be more historically accurate, as the various Inuit identities were still a single ethnic group spreading across northern Alaska by this time), and then using "Kilarukilisiilak" or whatever for the reformed name.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I realized I like playing the Greek culture group so much. I made my heir Greek in England, and once my ruler died, I started castrating my dukes who rebelled. It feels so right.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

A White Guy posted:

I realized I like playing the Greek culture group so much. I made my heir Greek in England, and once my ruler died, I started castrating my dukes who rebelled. It feels so right.

Double points against the patriarchy if you do it as a queen ruler.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PBJ posted:

Most of the vanilla names for the ethnic pagan religions just use the first half of whatever ethnicity the religion pertains to, e.g. "Germanic" instead of "Germanic Pagan" and "Slavic" instead of "Slavic Pagan".

So I guess just using "Inuit" (or "Thule" if you wanted to be more historically accurate, as the various Inuit identities were still a single ethnic group spreading across northern Alaska by this time), and then using "Kilarukilisiilak" or whatever for the reformed name.

The only problem with using Inuit is then you'd get "Inuit Inuit" as the culture and religion. It's probably why Pdox changed Norse to Germanic (Norse Norse looks fuckin' silly).

I want to avoid using Thule or Dorset since those were names given centuries later by scientists and not anyone who actually encountered them. I might go with "Iñupiak" as their culture and "Arctic" for the unreformed religion.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

This rules.

When is he?

He's in the 1066 start, in the court of the republic of gotland.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What about Skraeling?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What about Skraeling?

I like Skraeling but I was thinking of using that as the name for the eventual Inuit-Norse cultural melting pot that I'll probably end up making as well.

EDIT: The more I think about it, I already have them wearing Norse clothes, so there's no point in making a Norse melting pot. Skrælings it is.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 22, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Khan Butter Bakchisiray, having given his cousin Bubblewrap a quick tumble, is initially chagrined when the union produces a son, declaring him a bastard. However, when the baby comes over all hairy and growly, he quickly pulls him into the line of succession, because hot drat, make way for Wolf-Khan Oops!

...I am not too hot on historical names, but I'm terrible at coming up with my own appropriate ones.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a Crown Names mod where you get to change your characters name once they assume the throne so you can be Robert IV or whatever. EU4 does that automatically and I always try to do it when naming kids but that rarely ends up well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Larry Parrish posted:

Is there a Crown Names mod where you get to change your characters name once they assume the throne so you can be Robert IV or whatever. EU4 does that automatically and I always try to do it when naming kids but that rarely ends up well.

There's no way to do it that doesn't break ironman/cheevos, that I know of. Based on your post history I assume that's a deal breaker for you. Otherwise you can edit the save file and/or a utility that edits the file for you would be trivial to make.

It is kind of dumb that character names aren't easily changed ingame when title names are.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's no way to do it that doesn't break ironman/cheevos, that I know of. Based on your post history I assume that's a deal breaker for you. Otherwise you can edit the save file and/or a utility that edits the file for you would be trivial to make.

It is kind of dumb that character names aren't easily changed ingame when title names are.

IIRC, there is some functionality for regnal names buried in the code, it's just not implemented.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't play CK2 ironman because the achievements aren't fun but it's lame there's no easy mod for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Well then it is pretty drat easy to just open the save file (uncompressed) in notepad++ and search for the character's name, or if it's a common name you can always search for "MrHuman" to locate the current player character and change the character's name. The annoying part is having to close and re-open the game which takes a minute or two even on a fast PC.

It's pretty retarded that there's no console command to change a character's name. You can change a character's culture, religion, nickname, traits, stats, give them titles or claims, move them, kill them, etc. etc. etc., but you can't change their name. Even though it's just a plain text string in the savefile and there are zero complications to editing the savefile yourself to change the name.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 23, 2015

• Locked thread