Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He doesn't blame anyone except himself for sleeping around. Like he acknowledges that he was unhappy with his wife but he certainly never paints the picture that it was her fault, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Bret's one of those guys that doesn't know much about wrestling outside of his regular stomping grounds. Wrestlers also tend to have opinions on who the good workers are that seem weird to fans because they use different criteria than a fan would. So the Flair thing is not that surprising.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I think you'll find he was banned and never returned after making the best post of all time.

Link me

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688311&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post439235233

Not sure if it's this guy or not, but just enjoy this spectacle. Go back a page for context.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Does Cody Rhodes have a lisp? My friend swears he does but I don't really hear it

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

That DICK! posted:

Does Cody Rhodes have a lisp? My friend swears he does but I don't really hear it

It was more prominent a few years ago when he was working with Ted jr, but I think he worked past it to the point where it's no longer there.

Swagger's lisp is bad enough that someone needs to get him a speech coach.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flair also buried him hard in his book, and it's certainly possible that Flair may have said something before the book that got back to Bret.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess Bret might be a little bitter because he was never a big star (like Flair/Hogan and later on Austin/HBK/Rock) but he was technically a great wrestler.

Of course, in a fake sport being really good at the technical aspects only gets you so far.

Then again that could all be wrong and he's just a mean jerk.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's impossible to think of Bret as anything but a whiny tool after reading his book.

You can take alot from Bret's book but dude is anything but a tool. He's an honest damaged nut who cared too much and legit got hosed over by a father figure of his.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Glamorama26 posted:

You can take alot from Bret's book but dude is anything but a tool. He's an honest damaged nut who cared too much and legit got hosed over by a father figure of his.

He also blames his wife for his inability to stay faithful on the road, regularly buries people but gets upset when they return the favor, and definitely shares the blame in the Montreal incident.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also blames his wife for his inability to stay faithful on the road, regularly buries people but gets upset when they return the favor, and definitely shares the blame in the Montreal incident.

Oh no arguement there on most of that. He sucks.

I ain't putting any blame on him for Montreal though. He had creative control and used it.

Oh God, all of our lives end with us arguing about the Montreal screwjob.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If there's one thing to take away from brets book it's that everyone in brets life was willing to screw Bret over at a moments notice while Bret always took the straight and narrow and all those terrible situations he always found himself in were always out of his control.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

How dare you, Bret was a saint and everyone cried when they talked to him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Wrong thread

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Bret is angry as gently caress

http://youtu.be/tgoEIdSeB4E

Incidentally this interview led to me and a friend deciding that CM punk and Bret doing commentary tracks for WWE PPV's would be entertaining as hell.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Aubergine Mage posted:

It was more prominent a few years ago when he was working with Ted jr, but I think he worked past it to the point where it's no longer there.

Swagger's lisp is bad enough that someone needs to get him a speech coach.

I always got the impression from both of them that it was an artifact from wearing a retainer.

Swagger might just have forgotten that he was wearing one when he was like 14 and so it's still in there

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

What blame does he share? He had a contract with stronger creative control than Hogan and an agreed upon conclusion to his title reign was reneged on violating that contract. He was 100% in the right legally and was under no obligation to "do the right thing" in a company that was breaching his contract for financial reasons.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

What blame does he share? He had a contract with stronger creative control than Hogan and an agreed upon conclusion to his title reign was reneged on violating that contract. He was 100% in the right legally and was under no obligation to "do the right thing" in a company that was breaching his contract for financial reasons.

His reason for not wanting to job has to be amongst the worst I've ever heard, and I grew up loving the guy and I'm from Canada.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The reason is irrelevant, he had the right.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He was absolutely correct and right in exercising his creative control to not lose the belt in Montreal.

He was also a spoiled arrogant pissbaby in doing so, second only to the spoiled arrogant pissbaby he lost to.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Memento posted:

He was also a spoiled arrogant pissbaby in doing so, second only to the spoiled arrogant pissbaby he lost to.

Except he had offered to lose the belt both before and after Montreal to a number of people including Michaels and outlined a number of scenarios which could've worked.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Two questions -

On ECW Exposed on the Network, the little after-the-live-part part, Paul Heyman mentions his favourite episode of Hardcore TV is one with a Sabu Return, an RVD return and a bunch of other amazing stuff.

Is this an actual episode or was Hardcore TV a sort of compilation thing of like three weeks' worth of shows? Either way, anyone know what episode number it is so I can look it up?

Secondly, how come Roddy didn't get as much coverage and overexposure on the Network as Dusty did after he died? Was he not well liked? Not as important?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Perdido posted:

Except he had offered to lose the belt both before and after Montreal to a number of people including Michaels and outlined a number of scenarios which could've worked.

yes but now he's whiny in interviews so lets ignore all that

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

magnum_valentino posted:

On ECW Exposed on the Network, the little after-the-live-part part, Paul Heyman mentions his favourite episode of Hardcore TV is one with a Sabu Return, an RVD return and a bunch of other amazing stuff.

Is this an actual episode or was Hardcore TV a sort of compilation thing of like three weeks' worth of shows? Either way, anyone know what episode number it is so I can look it up?

I'm guessing it's this:

http://ecwbyshaggs.tripod.com/interview.html

quote:

Question: What have been your favorite angle/angles?

Paul Heyman: The Tommy Dreamer-Raven match which ended their feud; accentuated Rob Van Dam; started the Sandman- Sabu feud; brought Jerry Lawler into ECW; led into the Taz-Sabu rematch; and climaxed with Taz beating Shane Douglas in an impromptu match for the ECW World TV Title. That one hour of nonstop action, that one hour of progressing all of our storylines, that one hour of highlighting so many of our top pieces of talent, that one hour was as exhilirating as any hour I have been privileged to experience in this company

Date on that Hardcore TV episode is 6/19/1997

It can be watched here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31brmc

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

His reason for not wanting to job has to be amongst the worst I've ever heard, and I grew up loving the guy and I'm from Canada.

Not wanting to tank his marketability in Canada, which he was told WCW was seeking to expand into, with him as the centerpiece?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
What are some move names that were related to the gimmick of a particular user of the move that are still used outside of that context?

e.g.

Lariat (Stan Hansen)
Pedigree (Triple H)
Huracánrana (Huracán Ramirez)
Quebrada (Fantasma de la Quebrada)
Calf Branding (Dick Murdoch)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Fame Asser, unfortunately. Camel Clutch, by the Shiek? The Alabama Slam. All moves primarily known by one name from one gimmick.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Shiki Dan posted:

Not wanting to tank his marketability in Canada, which he was told WCW was seeking to expand into, with him as the centerpiece?

And WCW didn't run a single show in Canada in 1998 by the way.

Bret obviously didn't know this would happen but then again it's WCW so he was naive to listen to them.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

rotinaj posted:

The Fame Asser, unfortunately. Camel Clutch, by the Shiek? The Alabama Slam. All moves primarily known by one name from one gimmick.

Those are good ones. Tiger Suplex/Tiger Driver (Tiger Mask) and Dragon Sleeper/Dragon Suplex (Tatsumi Fujinami) are others I can think of.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
It shouldn't count if that's the name given by the move's innovator, jeez.

Anyway the Vertebreaker. It was invented by Megumi Kudo as the Kudome Valentine

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Spermgod posted:

What are some move names that were related to the gimmick of a particular user of the move that are still used outside of that context?

e.g.

Lariat (Stan Hansen)
Pedigree (Triple H)
Huracánrana (Huracán Ramirez)
Quebrada (Fantasma de la Quebrada)
Calf Branding (Dick Murdoch)

Texas cloverleaf, Diamond Cutter

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Outside of the kliq and his own family did anyone ever have any beef with Bret?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DynamiteKidd posted:

It shouldn't count if that's the name given by the move's innovator, jeez.

Anyway the Vertebreaker. It was invented by Megumi Kudo as the Kudome Valentine

I think that's exactly the point, move names that were based on someone's gimmick/ring name and then adopted by other people under the same name.

Anyway, the STO?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Tombstone is the obvious one.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

C. Everett Koop posted:

Tombstone is the obvious one.

Was called that as early as the 70s

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hurricanrana

Smoking Crow posted:

Texas cloverleaf, Diamond Cutter

i almost always hear the diamond cutter referred to as an ace crusher everywhere else but i suppose that still fits

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

Diamond Cutter

Ace Crusher has a million variants and a million names. As much as I prefer DDP's version and name, it isn't synonymous with him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Was called that as early as the 70s

Huh, i knew Taker didn't invent it but I didn't think it was called that until him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Does the Stunner count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Was Shawn Michaels the first to call it a Superkick?