Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ozmiander posted:

More disassembly. Found out why the steering felt like it had detents...

Why, that'll buff right out.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Californians and cute in the rain.

I make a point of going out and riding just about every time it rains. It's my favorite riding

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I made a DRZ power wheelie out of a turn in second.

It was the babby-est power wheelie, but I was turning in first, shifted up without the clutch, went back to WOT, and the front came up :shobon:. I'm so proud of that little bike.

Chichevache posted:

I make a point of going out and riding just about every time it rains. It's my favorite riding

Chichevache posted:

Crashed it. Twice. :saddowns:

I bet this guy's DRZ won't power wheelie for him. The bike doesn't respect him enough to do that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rain isn't just rain - rain after a long dry period is a lot worse than regular rain. All sorts of particles, rubber and oily poo poo builds up on the road and when the rain comes it froths up to an effective decyclant.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
I'm not looking forward to the first rain Athens.

The streets in this city are 30, 40+ years old. They are worn down to a polished shine. That is not an exaggeration, at night they they appear to be wet because they reflect neon signs, street lights, etc.

I think the next thing I post on this thread is going to be my bike with some bark-busters and sliders. Winter is coming.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Somebody needs to invent an upgrade to turn motorcycles in to baby walkers.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ola posted:

Rain isn't just rain - rain after a long dry period is a lot worse than regular rain. All sorts of particles, rubber and oily poo poo builds up on the road and when the rain comes it froths up to an effective decyclant.

As a resident of lowland Washington for the last 28 years, I can assure you I am familiar with this phenomenon.

It has a smell.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Towed it home.

Apparently some critter cut his teeth on my VFR's wiring. The bike grounded out and drained the battery before I could figure out what was happening.
I'd love to ride for more than 2 consecutive days without having to deal with poo poo like this. :sigh:

drat dude, sorry to hear that. Not a good week for 90s bikes around here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Somebody needs to invent an upgrade to turn motorcycles in to baby walkers.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Checked the valves and synced the carbs. Only one intake valve on the rear cylinder that needed adjustment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So goddamn jealous of that bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Unfucked some more PO bullshit.

Lower one is the one that came out.
Frame screen. I noticed at the last oil change it was really hard to remove, and threads looked hosed, so I bought a used one from ebay.

1200mi oil change woo

yeah the PO left me this kick rear end stripped case plugs. I bought the blingy red one on ebay for a dollar. the TDC plug was also stripped, and would leak when I wound the engine over 8 thousand.

I think just the countershaft seal leaks at this point. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why is there a pipe with a high pressure banjo fitting at one end and what appears to be a simple hose and clamp setup on the other end? Is that just suzuki being suzuki?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Why is there a pipe with a high pressure banjo fitting at one end and what appears to be a simple hose and clamp setup on the other end? Is that just suzuki being suzuki?

yes. that hose slips over the frame screen and connects to the oil feed for the pump. There is no pressure through that hose.

suzuki does some weird poo poo....

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh gently caress, I stripped my oil drain bolt thread a little.

It was being a bastard to undo, and being the bike is second hand and hosed with before I assumed it was glued so I took a breaker bar to it. WRONG, I completely forgot that the bolt being upside down means you change direction. I at least didn't go too far with it and cleaned off the bolt then soaked it in superglue and got it tight as I could, then replaced the oil filter and refilled it.

I was also going to adjust the chain but I don't have a big enough socket wrench to loosen the axle nut, so I left the bike alone too disheartened to run it up and down the road to rinse the oil. At least I watched Mad Max.

Would I be best just taking it to a shop to get the plug retapped?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

3800 lumen cyclops headlight

(not that purple irl)

I also started to install rearset riser plates. Right side went on fine, left side's bolts are apparently jbwelded on or something. I tried to get them off to no avail, the heads are starting to strip a little :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Please report back your real world experience with that headlamp. I wonder about the saturation an led can give, and that one is cheap enough to be worth considering.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

It was being a bastard to undo, and being the bike is second hand and hosed with before I assumed it was glued so I took a breaker bar to it. WRONG, I completely forgot that the bolt being upside down means you change direction. I at least didn't go too far with it and cleaned off the bolt then soaked it in superglue and got it tight as I could, then replaced the oil filter and refilled it.

Adding this to "Yes Buying New Is Worth The Extra Money.txt"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Coydog posted:

Please report back your real world experience with that headlamp. I wonder about the saturation an led can give, and that one is cheap enough to be worth considering.

By saturation, do you mean how even the light is across the ground? Mine probably won't be amazing, since you need a LED reflector in your headlight for it to work 100%, and mine is also bubbling in a few spots (lol delkevic). I got it mostly because my old H4 was yellow, unbelievably dinky, and invisible during the day. I'll try to get a pic once I get those rearsets sorted.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Coydog posted:

I've had one in my bike for several months now. It looks great at night - it's noticeably better than the halogen version (Phillips motorcycle one), and hasn't died after 6 months like the other ones I've had in there. I'd say I've got about 8k miles on it so far.

I think it definitely is going to depend on your light setup, though. Mine's all reflective and throws weird patterns, but that's just Kawasaki not putting much effort into their headlight assemblies.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

M42 posted:

3800 lumen cyclops headlight

I am really, REALLY interested in those bulbs for my Striple as the stockers are not much chop, but I'm very concerned about the HID-in-reflector-housing-douchebag thing as it's one of my pet hates and I imagine these are likely to suffer the same - I note that they supply shims with the kit now though so you can control the spacing of the bulb in the housing so maybe that can eliminate it... I haven't managed to find any usage shots for my bike thus far.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Bike died on 101 half an hour ago. :suicide:

It's me, I'm the new mootmoot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're the new razzled, moving gradually into coydog territory as you discover it just ran out of gas.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

You're the new razzled, moving gradually into coydog territory as you discover it just ran out of gas.

I filled it up less than twenty minutes before it died. :negative: Funny thing is, when it died it behaved exactly like it would when it ran out of gas. When I got it to the side of the freeway and tried starting it the light went out, like a dead battery. I left it on the side of the road and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
stator take a poo poo? :(

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

I filled it up less than twenty minutes before it died. :negative: Funny thing is, when it died it behaved exactly like it would when it ran out of gas. When I got it to the side of the freeway and tried starting it the light went out, like a dead battery. I left it on the side of the road and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Have you tried putting the petcock on prime/res and/or bump starting it? If it's the stator then you probably would have been losing your speedometer/really dim lights for a while before it actually died.

e: How old/cheap is your battery :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 20, 2015

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Marxalot posted:

Have you tried putting the petcock on prime/res and/or bump starting it? If it's the stator then you probably would have been losing your speedometer/really dim lights for a while before it actually died.

e: How old/cheap is your battery :v:

Never mind what I said

Marxalot had this same problem a few months ago. Check your battery.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Battery is less than a year old, but it is cheap and we all know DRZs go through batteries almost as fast as they go through oil. I'm going to buy a new battery and take it with me to where I left the bike. Hopefully a quick swap and I can get home.

If it is the battery then it died after I had been on the highway for almost 20 minutes, which seems odd to me.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Battery is less than a year old, but it is cheap and we all know DRZs go through batteries almost as fast as they go through oil. I'm going to buy a new battery and take it with me to where I left the bike. Hopefully a quick swap and I can get home.

If it is the battery then it died after I had been on the highway for almost 20 minutes, which seems odd to me.

DRZ battery/charging system is piss easy to check with a multimeter. All you need to do is take off the battery cover and you're there. And the plugs that you poke at to check the resistance on the stator itself are all accessible without removing anything.

That said, the stator should have been giving you some obvious signs before stranding you. Like your speedometer dying. Bump start the bike and go over it with a multimeter.

Comedy option: Chichevache imploded another DRZ motor.

e: FWIW my stator lasted about 20kmi and I haven't needed to replace a battery in a long time.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 20, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

e: FWIW my stator lasted about 20kmi and I haven't needed to replace a battery in a long time.

This is what I've generally seen. 20k per stator. Do the "free power mod" while you're in there. and if it is your stator, locktite the gently caress out of it when you replace.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

This is what I've generally seen. 20k per stator. Do the "free power mod" while you're in there. and if it is your stator, locktite the gently caress out of it when you replace.

You know, I could see it being his kickstand switch.

Destroyer of Bikes posted:

When I got it to the side of the freeway and tried starting it the light went out,

Was it turning over at all? Did you at least get that CLICK CLICK CLICK noise that the bike makes when the battery is too flat to turn over? Was your speedometer still lit up :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

oh right, keep it simple stupid. :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yay parts = fix exhaust + passenger peg bracket.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Was it turning over at all? Did you at least get that CLICK CLICK CLICK noise that the bike makes when the battery is too flat to turn over? Was your speedometer still lit up :v:

I already removed the kickstand switch. :smug:

No clicking. The lights just go off completely.

Marxalot posted:

DRZ battery/charging system is piss easy to check with a multimeter. All you need to do is take off the battery cover and you're there. And the plugs that you poke at to check the resistance on the stator itself are all accessible without removing anything.

That said, the stator should have been giving you some obvious signs before stranding you. Like your speedometer dying. Bump start the bike and go over it with a multimeter.

Comedy option: Chichevache imploded another DRZ motor.

None of those signs were there before it died. Speedo and lights were both fine, until they weren't.

And I put oil in an hour before I left, so if the engine seized again...:bang:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did you overfill it?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Did you overfill it?

I don't think so? :shrug:

Anyway, I brought a battery out there and tried starting it, no go. :sigh: Looks like I'm going to have to haul it back tomorrow.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

I don't think so? :shrug:

Anyway, I brought a battery out there and tried starting it, no go. :sigh: Looks like I'm going to have to haul it back tomorrow.

Is it turning over? Did you try to bump start it?

Did you pull the choke knob out?

e: How many miles are you getting out of your DRZs before they implode? I'm at around 22kmi now. Should I buy a second one as a backup???

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 21, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

drat, that light is wild. I tried to get the photos as accurate as possible, but they're still not quite so. The brighter areas in the pics are less bright irl, and the darker areas are brighter - basically the light distribution is more even than it looks in the photos.

I walked around the lot to see how it looks to an oncomer. LEDs are directional as hell, so unless you are driving at me head-on (and low to the ground), it doesn't seem to have that irritating shiny blinding quality like crappy HIDs or the ridiculous blueish projectors some new cars have (I'm looking at you, hyundai :argh:).

Also, bike is on the stand and pointing uphill, so the beam is way higher off the ground than normal.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You've just definitely answered my saturation question. I wasn't looking for a smoothness rating, but you gave it earlier. But that looks like it has excellent light saturation. How a bulb like that can be gotten for less than 70 is beyond me. I'm sorely tempted to pick one up, but am held back by silly biases towards yellow incandescent that is more fitting on my 80s~ biek. :(

You have a great looking SV and I'm glad it fell into such an attentive owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Put a few small scratches in the tank. As proof that no good deed goes unpunished, I picked up the goggles and helmet from a fellow in our group who did not have them securely fastened. Only place to put them is around mirror which left it hanging against the tank. O well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oaVemyDytY

edit: goggles, not googles

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 21, 2015