Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Something I see worse junglers not doing is: after you gank a lane, it's completely fine to just... gank it again. People often act like there's some sort of mandatory cooldown between ganks. If you go mid, blow their flash, and still have health and mana, and their mid pushes up again... well, what an idiot. Go kill them. Did they die and TP back to lane? Yup.

Usually because the other lanes are bitching and tilting that they're not getting ganks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Usually because the other lanes are bitching and tilting that they're not getting ganks.

This is 100% why I do it when that happens - I'm trying desperately to bail water on the other lanes. That or I accidentally took a last hit and the laner flipped out and is raging at me in chat.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Moving around the map takes time. Why bother spending 30 seconds walking around, possibly getting spotted by a ward, when you could just do a short loop and go back to where you were 10 seconds earlier? It's just more efficient jungling. All other things being equal, the best gank is the one that takes the smallest amount of time.

fnox
May 19, 2013

ok so I took the account I'm boosting from Bronze 2 -3lp to the dizzying heights of Silver III 0lp, I should get it to Gold by next week. it's been a pretty enlightening journey thus far, I lost my first game out of 15 I've played with Ahri like an hour ago, and I have like 80% winrate thus far since I started using the account.

now, hints for players who are silver/bronze and wanna climb:

General Tips:

• Shut the gently caress up: holy poo poo I cannot stress this enough, the amount of infighting in low elo teams is absolutely loving absurd. they go at eachother on champion select, if they lose lane, if they win lane, if they miss anything. just shut the gently caress up, don't use chat at all unless it's for really harmless poo poo like "gj" and "dragon in 1 min", it distracts you and your fellow teammates from the game, and it will not increase your chances of winning. don't give them hints either, they won't listen to them, focus on yourself and yourself only.
  • Map awareness: if you have this, you climb, simple as that. map awareness is the one thing most people at this elo lack, and if you have it, you climb, because you know where poo poo is. if you think your map awareness is top notch, spam jungle/mid and your MMR will skyrocket.
  • Don't main ADC/Support unless you have a dedicated duo: this is definitely a controversial opinion, but hear me out. the logic behind it is simple, you have to rely on some random person to work with you to win lane. if you REALLY wanna do it, you gotta be aware, you'll take MUCH longer to climb than if you were spamming solo lanes, because you WILL get bad supports/ADCs (or bad teammates in general), and you're not in a favorable position to carry. this is backed by the numbers, if you wanna climb fast, play solo lanes.
  • If you're unable to stomp games, you will not have an easy time climbing: you don't have to make every game a one sided stomp, there are games where you most certainly can't, but if you cannot convert 3 kills in lane into a game winning snowball with some reliability, you will not climb quickly, and you have plenty of things to improve on before you actually climb.
  • You can't win every game: Losses don't matter that much if you're winning more than you're losing. Don't be discouraged by a couple of loses, particularly after a long win streak, every streak has to end sometime.

Tips for Bronze players:

• Always be aware, there's a reason why you're bronze: "Every player has been bronze once" isn't true. if you're in Bronze it's because there's something wrong with the way you play, there's a significant fault in your playstyle and it's causing you to lose more than the average player. ALWAYS keep in mind that you are lacking something, and you will find a way to work that flaw out.
  • Specialize on a few champions that you can play very well: Focus on champions that won't get banned every game, and that can quickly snowball, or that can punish out of position players with ease. the easiest way to win in Bronze is through consistency.
  • Don't know what to main? Main mid! As a midlaner you're in a prime position to turn a won lane into a won game. If your mechanics are good, and your map awareness is good, there's nothing that can stop you from getting out of Bronze.
  • Ward, ward, ward: Bronze players spend a ridiculous amount of time out of position, and the way to punish them for being out of position is to be aware of their position in the first place. Warding like a maniac will help you see where the enemy is at. Bronze players are so bad at warding and sweeping that it's actually unlikely that your wards will ever be removed, so go for those deep wards if you know you're not gonna get killed due to it.
  • If your mechanics aren't good, play easy champions: It's simple, you don't have to play Riven, or Lee Sin, or Zed to climb. Malphite, Amumu and Annie can do the job just fine. Good mechanics will get you farther ahead than anything but in reality all you need to win games at this level is to know how to turn your advantages into wins, and there is no easier way to use your advantage than by having simple, reliable initiation that can decimate an entire team.
  • It ain't over 'til its over: Never, EVER surrender in Bronze. the possibility that the enemy team throws in a crucial moment is very real at this level, you should play every game until the end.

Tips for Silver players:

• Matchmaking doesn't give a gently caress if you win lane, you have to win games: The number 1 excuse I hear from Silver players when they lose is that they won lane, but their teammates lost the game for them. While this can actually happen, as in, you may get the odd game where you're doing everything perfect but there's somebody loving up so hard you literally can't win, but these are by no means the majority of the games. If you are actually winning lane and losing games consistently, you and you alone, is doing something wrong.
  • Don't play the broken poo poo, play what you're comfortable with: The main reason for lovely drafts is that people try to play the meta champions instead the champions they're ultimately comfortable with. if you can play the meta champions well, then gently caress it, go for it, but if you can't, Ranked isn't the best place to learn the basics of a champion, and if you're trying to climb, the last thing you want to do is waste time trying to learn how to play a champion.
  • Don't give up if your teammates gently caress up! This happens way too often in Silver. Somebody gives first blood and instantly they type "gg" in all chat. Don't be stupid, gently caress ups happen, if you were infallible you wouldn't be a Silver player. forget about the mistakes other people make, and focus entirely on your own performance.
  • If you have good mechanics, exploit them: In Silver you have to tryhard every game if you're trying to climb, because Silver players tend to be very prone to prematurely giving up. They won't give up if they see you clowning on the entire enemy team all by yourself.
  • If you can get perfect CS, you already have an advantage! At this level players don't CS as poorly as Bronze players, but they still get suboptimal numbers out of lane. If you can consistently get 8 CS/min, you already have a big advantage over your enemies.

Champions to use:

These are only suggestions, ultimately you should ALWAYS use the champions that you're comfortable with. They'll give you the best results.

• Top: Malphite, Garen, Wukong. Learn to play at least one ranged champion other than these.
  • Mid: Annie, Ahri, Lux. Don't play only long range mages, keep your champion pool diverse enough that you have a pick for every composition.
  • Jungle: Amumu, Xin Zhao, Fiddlesticks. The champions that can initiate reliably tend to work best at this Elo.
  • ADC: Jinx, Mordekaiser, Sivir. Jinx can snowball super hard, Morde can destroy any lane, and Sivir has her spellshield to defend her against divers. Mind the enemy team's composition before picking.
  • Support: Soraka, Blitzcrank, Janna. Soraka and Janna are great because they work by keeping your dumb teammates alive. Blitzcrank can facilitate snowballs, and at this level it's very easy to hook people.

Champions to not use:

Again, these are mostly my opinion. If you're godlike with any of these champions, go right ahead and play them, but if you cannot win easily with them, don't dare pick them.

• Top: Riven, Nasus, Gnar. The tryhard specials. These champions are often what people think about when they think of a champion that can 1v5, well, truth is, they usually never do. Riven has a very high mechanical requirement to play and if you don't put like a hundred games on this champion you're not very likely to win. Nasus tends to take just too drat long to be effective and he's easily countered, and Gnar is another champion that doesn't allow you to gently caress up much. You want reliability over anything.
  • Mid: Zed, Yasuo, Katarina. Seriously, stay the gently caress away from Zed. Zed and Yasuo are both very mechanically intensive champions, Zed in particular is very hard to use effectively as you have to be on point to really get all your damage down, and Yasuo relies heavily on the draft to actually work properly, and both have the very significant disadvantage of being full AD, which tends to cause full AD compositions more often than not. Katarina is VERY easily countered and you should NEVER pick her into a team that can catch you consistently.
  • Jungle: Lee Sin, Nidalee, Yi. Lee Sin has a similar flaw with most of the other champions of this list, you need to stay on top of your game or you will lose. Nidalee and Yi have the disadvantage of requiring way too much gold to be effective, and at this level of play you're likely not good enough to really milk the amount of gold needed out of your jungle.
  • ADC: Vayne, Lucian, Draven. They can all snowball pretty hard but they rely very heavily on mechanics. Teams with strong diving will annihilate you. You have to realize that as an ADC you want to be as safe as you can be.
  • Support: Thresh, Alistar, Bard. They are more than anything playmaking supports, that don't really work in low elo SoloQ because it's hard to coordinate with people there. Your main job should be just controlling the map with wards, and keeping people alive, which the other 3 supports I mentioned earlier can do without any complication.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

if you are silver and wanna climb just play jinx it's a free win down there

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
On the other hand if you're a newer player and you can devote 200 games to learning Draven you'll be a god

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
ive seen the light boys

fnox
May 19, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

On the other hand if you're a newer player and you can devote 200 games to learning Draven you'll be a god

but you can get to gold in half that time by just spamming midlane.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I disagree about playmaking supports being bad at low Elo, though (and you put Blitz on your 'good' list despite him being a playmaker that's actually fairly difficult). Leona can still force wins down the throats of even the worst ADCs. In a normal game I once dragged a Literal Bronze Five Vayne to winning lane and game against a silver Vayne.

Personally I think that everyone should have a "trinity" at their main role: three champions that you're comfortable on that work very differently from one another, so that you can fit nicely into any given teamcomp.

An example jungle trinity: Pantheon, Nunu, Diana (early ganker, objective control/tank, damage)
Mid trinity: Annie, Talon, Lux (short-ranged bully, roaming assassin, long-ranged poke)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I never got the ranking system. It just seems like a way for people to stroke their e-penis and give them another way to insult people when playing unranked. Like being called bronze is the most common insult I've seen in unranked and it just makes me think the person saying it is an idiot because one bad game does not mean they're a bad player. Also the fact that unranked has a hidden ranking from memory means that you've been matched with people of your own skill level more often than not unless parties are part of the game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

kingcobweb posted:

I disagree about playmaking supports being bad at low Elo, though (and you put Blitz on your 'good' list despite him being a playmaker that's actually fairly difficult). Leona can still force wins down the throats of even the worst ADCs. In a normal game I once dragged a Literal Bronze Five Vayne to winning lane and game against a silver Vayne.

Personally I think that everyone should have a "trinity" at their main role: three champions that you're comfortable on that work very differently from one another, so that you can fit nicely into any given teamcomp.

An example jungle trinity: Pantheon, Nunu, Diana (early ganker, objective control/tank, damage)
Mid trinity: Annie, Talon, Lux (short-ranged bully, roaming assassin, long-ranged poke)

What's a support trinity? So far it's Janna, Leona, and Morgana.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Artificer posted:

That's a good trinity. Last season mine was Janna, Leona, Lulu, but I don't like how the first two feel any more after their nerfs.

Soraka/Blitz/Lulu is mine at the moment, but I've switched back to maining Jungle so I've just been spamming Soraka.

But the one I'd recommend is: Soraka, Braum, Nautilus. Soraka when you have to drag this idiot Vayne through laning against a bully lane, Braum when you have to disengage your idiot Vayne from a teamcomp like J4/Zed/Riven, and Nautilus when you want to kill their idiot Vayne.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Artificer posted:

That is a pretty good trinity, yes. Peel, engage, pick. Another good example of a trinity would be Soraka, Alistar, Thresh, though Alistar in particular has a pretty drat high skill ceiling so he may not be best for newbies.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Dont play leona

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I've complained about it before but I was so used to the old E width that I'd actually waste my abilities after it missed, because I was 100% certain that it hit. Like I did the "hit E, pause for auto, Q" combo just on timing alone... except I didn't actually hit it

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Also on the recommended jungles list in the bronze/silver post above, I wouldn't recommend fiddlesticks as a top jungle to learn. If you do well with him he's scary, but end of the day he's gold reliant (since he needs a zhonyas) and made of glass which makes him more skill intensive than he seems in paper.

Low elo jungling is (as you said) about good initiations and tankiness (since at low elos you'll likely have 3 hypercarries in your lanes and Annie support). Malph, sej, and hec used to be great for this, but they're not in great spots right now. Possibly skarner could fill this slot now? Amumu too

fnox
May 19, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

Blitz is a playmaker who's job relies mostly on just landing Q's. If you compare him to Alistar or Thresh you can see how Blitz is more reliable and effective than them.

Also yeah I can get behind that. I personally use Ahri, Leblanc, Xerath in mid as my trinity. Ahri is a very general pick that plays sort of as a burst mage/assassin hybrid while also being really safe, Leblanc is my roaming assassin for when I need to quickly snowball against a squishy team, and Xerath is a good sieging/poke mage.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Primetime posted:

Also on the recommended jungles list in the bronze/silver post above, I wouldn't recommend fiddlesticks as a top jungle to learn. If you do well with him he's scary, but end of the day he's gold reliant (since he needs a zhonyas) and made of glass which makes him more skill intensive than he seems in paper.

Low elo jungling is (as you said) about good initiations and tankiness (since at low elos you'll likely have 3 hypercarries in your lanes and Annie support). Malph, sej, and hec used to be great for this, but they're not in great spots right now. Possibly skarner could fill this slot now? Amumu too

I think the big post is a Very Good Post, but I also think there's a slight difference between, "this is a champion that a Gold/Plat/Diamond player can use to easily climb on a smurf," and "these are champions that low-Elo players should use to learn how to play."

Just play the easiest mechanical champions possible. I loving hate it when some Riven goes in to a 1v3, dies, and complains like "gah if only I had properly Q-flash-W-R-ignite-Q-auto-Hydra combo'd" when the answer is that they shouldn't have tried the play in the first place. They make plays that involve both strategic and mechanical misplays, recognize that they made a mechanical misplay, and blame their failure on that. The solution they see, therefore, is more practice on mechanics.

If you play Warwick you're not going to trick yourself into thinking it was just a mechanical problem, because Warwick is 100% strategy 0% mechanics. If you're learning to jungle, try to learn on something that has as few mechanical things as possible, then learn other stuff on top of that.

If you are an actual Bronze player in Bronze, and want to learn jungling:

Xin, Rammus, Wukong.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Can I jungle Xin Zhao at lvl 19? If so what route do I take?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

NTT posted:

Dont play leona

I will

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Leona owns

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Rammus sucks tho

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It's right there in the name

fnox
May 19, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

I think the big post is a Very Good Post, but I also think there's a slight difference between, "this is a champion that a Gold/Plat/Diamond player can use to easily climb on a smurf," and "these are champions that low-Elo players should use to learn how to play."

Just play the easiest mechanical champions possible. I loving hate it when some Riven goes in to a 1v3, dies, and complains like "gah if only I had properly Q-flash-W-R-ignite-Q-auto-Hydra combo'd" when the answer is that they shouldn't have tried the play in the first place. They make plays that involve both strategic and mechanical misplays, recognize that they made a mechanical misplay, and blame their failure on that. The solution they see, therefore, is more practice on mechanics.

If you play Warwick you're not going to trick yourself into thinking it was just a mechanical problem, because Warwick is 100% strategy 0% mechanics. If you're learning to jungle, try to learn on something that has as few mechanical things as possible, then learn other stuff on top of that.

If you are an actual Bronze player in Bronze, and want to learn jungling:

Xin, Rammus, Wukong.

those aren't hints for players who want to learn how to play, it's for players who wanna climb. like, if you want to climb in the first place it means you feel you've plateau'd. kind of the idea behind my post was give like, suggestions for those players who have been stuck in silver for a while and know they can get out.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

frajaq posted:

Can I jungle Xin Zhao at lvl 19? If so what route do I take?

You can really only reliably do nunu, fiddle and Warwick jungle pre-30, and given what I just said about fiddle - just nunu and Warwick. I wouldn't worry about getting good at xin jungle just yet

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Play Nocturne

fnox
May 19, 2013

from lvl 20 onwards you can do any jungler, because you have access to tier 3 runes, before then, you just have to be mindful of your clears, do the crabs to keep yourself healthy, put 9 points in the defensive tree, and always start bot so you get a strong leash, unless you're a jungler with innate sustain in which case you can start any side of the map.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

fnox posted:

from lvl 20 onwards you can do any jungler, because you have access to tier 3 runes, before then, you just have to be mindful of your clears, do the crabs to keep yourself healthy, put 9 points in the defensive tree, and always start bot so you get a strong leash, unless you're a jungler with innate sustain in which case you can start any side of the map.

This all applies to level 30 jungling too lmao

fnox
May 19, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

This all applies to level 30 jungling too lmao

you don't have access to all runes and masteries before lvl 30. but you can make do with the like, 6 armor seals you can get at lvl 20, and 6 marks.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

fnox posted:

you don't have access to all runes and masteries before lvl 30. but you can make do with the like, 6 armor seals you can get at lvl 20, and 6 marks.

Yeah but you should always watch your clear and take bugs for health and always start bot

fnox
May 19, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

always start bot

not really. you could even like, start the enemy's wolves and take the enemy jungler down at their blue buff. there are many possible routes you could be doing.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sona is also a really good low Elo support if you can keep your stupid ADC from raging out after you double kill the enemy botlane

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

leona is basically thresh but instead of pulling people into your cold embrace for like a second or so you run over and punch the bitch nerd in the face and make your team come up to commit instead of being scared pansies

and then you shoot lasers from space

Leona owns. (I just wish she did some actual damage on her own, too . . . )

ninjaedit: Leona doubly owns because her skill ceiling is a single skillshot that leads into her combo and if you miss it oh well, wait a few seconds and give it another go.

You really can't go wrong.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Methanar posted:

It used to be 24.

I know, and I never find myself wanting it that badly 6 seconds earlier, 30 seconds is still crazy good for the range and damage and aoe imo.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
If you wanna escape silver it's pretty easy, just put like 100 games into TF, Jinx, Eve or Ashe. Anyone who has a lot of utility or takes advantage of poor positioning, or Jinx, who just shits damage.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Tryndamere is also really good at getting you out of silver since you can just split push all day

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Honestly if you learn how to get 5/6 cs in every wave, I just assume you can get to gold over a long enough period of time.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Gibberish posted:

Honestly if you learn how to get 5/6 cs in every wave, I just assume you can get to gold over a long enough period of time.

The tricky question is, how do you escape gold once you get there? What separates plats from golds?

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Transient People posted:

The tricky question is, how do you escape gold once you get there? What separates plats from golds?

I'd say map awareness, more than anything.

Watch pro streamers with cams and look at their eyes, you'll see that they spend almost half the game looking at the map. Lower elo players tend to just only look at minion health and their lane opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Sona is also a really good low Elo support if you can keep your stupid ADC from raging out after you double kill the enemy botlane

This is the hardest part of playing Sona. I'd say it's even harder than learning how to position so you don't get blown up constantly.

• Locked thread