Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

CancerStick posted:

Anybody notice the bookmarks and thread list page scrolls really... Hitchy? When reading a thread it scrolls smooth but not elsewhere. I closed the app and upon reboot it still does it.

Just upgraded to IOS 9 on an iPhone 6.

Just noticed this, thought it was because of my old 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CancerStick posted:

Anybody notice the bookmarks and thread list page scrolls really... Hitchy? When reading a thread it scrolls smooth but not elsewhere. I closed the app and upon reboot it still does it.

Same thing, 6+

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CancerStick posted:

Its an iOS9 thing. I noticed it too when I updated to the GM a week ago.

Pokeyman will sort it out! :)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
It's been out for a while now, but I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the YouTube linking. Works beautifully.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I'm noticing the choppy scrolling too, even on a 6+. I'd debug it, but the keyboard extension is complaining about entitlements so I can't run it on my device. Pokeyman, some help?

EDIT: Well, even the simulator shows the performance issue:

Seems that autolayout constraints aren't in good shape, and it's wasting a ton of time trying to resolve them.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 17, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ugato posted:

It's been out for a while now, but I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the YouTube linking. Works beautifully.

How do you mean? How it behaves when you paste a youtube link in? Or when you click a link to a youtube video?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I'm noticing the choppy scrolling too, even on a 6+. I'd debug it, but the keyboard extension is complaining about entitlements so I can't run it on my device. Pokeyman, some help?

EDIT: Well, even the simulator shows the performance issue:

Seems that autolayout constraints aren't in good shape, and it's wasting a ton of time trying to resolve them.

I'll take a crack at it, see if I can make it better instead of worse :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hmm, looks like the problem is the layout constraint for the cell separator:

code:
// Can't do this in IB.
        addConstraint(NSLayoutConstraint(item: separator, attribute: .Trailing, relatedBy: .Equal, toItem: self, attribute: .Trailing, multiplier: 1, constant: 0))
When I comment it out, I lose the separators but performance is fine. So I just have to figure out a way to set this up better...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

carry on then posted:

How do you mean? How it behaves when you paste a youtube link in? Or when you click a link to a youtube video?

I'll take a crack at it, see if I can make it better instead of worse :v:

Since iOS 8 the browser version of the YouTube player has been pretty bad about locking up and you have to manually kill the app to get out of the video. The YouTube app worked better but still had issues. They updated their app to use a different player which works without issue. I think the browser version of the player has finally been fixed too. I just asked a while ago if there was an easy way to have a link to open the YouTube app from links in posts. Several weeks ago I finally noticed that the long press menu had an "open in YouTube" option. I could use the browser one now without issue, but I've grown used to the extra options that the app gives me so I still use the option.

E: plus the full screening doesn't leave a visible bar at the top on the iPad.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 17, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Okay, I delivered a change set to fix the performance issues. Really cleared them up on my iPad 4 and iPhone 5, and even my iPhone 6 feels faster. I'm pretty confident I didn't introduce a new layout bug, but I'm not sure I'm testing every situation so I might have. I delivered into the ios 9 branch, but I could make the change in the master branch if we want to get it out faster.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Any way we can get flags implemented in FYAd? I realise I've asked before and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear what the request was. It's just to have a random FYAD flag displayed at the top when browsing FYAD through the app. Thanks for your time.

I make no promises, but it's on the list, and with a very instructive screenshot!

i was reloading posted:

Why do threads hide seen posts by default until I click previous posts?

Approximately equal parts avoiding extra loading and the pain of adjusting the scroll offset as unattributed images load in. We did used to have a "load last n posts" where n was configurable from like 0-5, and I think it's on the list to bring that setting back. Would that be helpful?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I updated but I still have the issue where the drop down arrow next to a forum shoes that it should be expanded but none of the child forums are displayed. I have to double tap the arrow to get the child forums to display.

Yep, still gotta fix that :(

SKY COQ posted:

Feature request: 3D Touch the app icon to post a banme thread to GBS

Can't wait for App Review to test that one out!

IllegallySober posted:

If one opens up a web page inside the Awful app and then rotates (in my case, always accidentally) to landscape, when rotating back to portrait, the web page is gone.

6 Plus, latest retail build

I think we'll handle this bug by implementing this request:

Pappyland posted:

Perhaps I missed it, but are there any plans on using Safari View Controller in a future version of the app? I like the idea of Safari content blockers extending to links from these here forums.

Subjunctive posted:

Handoff isn't working for me in the current beta (iPhone to iPad). I always get the "requires archives" message that really means "didn't recognize page content".

Will take a look! This'll be easier than last time, now that I have multiple Handoff-capable devices.

carry on then posted:

Okay, I delivered a change set to fix the performance issues. Really cleared them up on my iPad 4 and iPhone 5, and even my iPhone 6 feels faster. I'm pretty confident I didn't introduce a new layout bug, but I'm not sure I'm testing every situation so I might have. I delivered into the ios 9 branch, but I could make the change in the master branch if we want to get it out faster.

I just fast-forwarded master to include the ios9 branch and deleted ios9, so let's keep working off of master. I put SFSafariViewController in there and am building a beta right this second.

edit: Cancel that beta build, Xcode's being a dick and I've lost patience for now.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 17, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ugato posted:

Since iOS 8 the browser version of the YouTube player has been pretty bad about locking up and you have to manually kill the app to get out of the video. The YouTube app worked better but still had issues. They updated their app to use a different player which works without issue. I think the browser version of the player has finally been fixed too. I just asked a while ago if there was an easy way to have a link to open the YouTube app from links in posts. Several weeks ago I finally noticed that the long press menu had an "open in YouTube" option. I could use the browser one now without issue, but I've grown used to the extra options that the app gives me so I still use the option.

E: plus the full screening doesn't leave a visible bar at the top on the iPad.

Only asked because I think that was my first contribution so: woo, someone noticed :toot:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

quote:

IllegallySober posted:
If one opens up a web page inside the Awful app and then rotates (in my case, always accidentally) to landscape, when rotating back to portrait, the web page is gone.

6 Plus, latest retail build

I think we'll handle this bug by implementing this request:

I think this is only with the hide sidebar in landscape on. How is that supposed to work on the 6+ because I always get the sidebar when I accidentally rotate.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Brain Curry posted:

I think this is only with the hide sidebar in landscape on. How is that supposed to work on the 6+ because I always get the sidebar when I accidentally rotate.

I can confirm I had that option turned on and can also confirm it doesn't seem to work as intended :v:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it just me, or are the smilies on the keyboard blurry in iOS9? They look fine in posts but something looks off when you're scrolling through them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Also, there is a user named "girth brooks part 2" whose name renders oddly - the 2 is on a new line even though there is plenty of room. I can't check if it's some Unicode wankery in the name but I'm guessing the forum can't handle that anyway.

iOS 9 / iPhone 6 / v3.6

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

Is it just me, or are the smilies on the keyboard blurry in iOS9? They look fine in posts but something looks off when you're scrolling through them.

I know at some point someone switched Awful to use nearest neighbor scaling on emoticons in the app itself, that change probably didn't make it to the keyboard as well, or maybe it did but isn't working in iOS 9 for some reason.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 17, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I just got an error message in my campus library's basement, where my phone doesn't get any cellular reception.

It said "database not found (code 7)" or something very like it. Couldn't load saved bookmarks.

Manually closing the app out and restarting fixed it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey, I recently upgraded to iOS 9 on my 6+, and it seems like after I make a post, the app always crashes when I try making another, no matter how much time has past. I have to manually kill it and reopen it each time to get it to work again. Any idea what's up?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On a 4S, iOS 9 with the latest Awful and I still have to update the forums manually. Also scrolling through the list of threads is really choppy occasionally. And Last Post still only takes you to the last page, not the last post.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I travel on 24+ hour plane trips very frequently. It would be great if I could save my bookmarked threads for offline viewing, so I'd have something to read on the plane. Would this be hard to code and implement?

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
For what it's worth scrolling works fine on 1.11.9 on iOS 9 on iPad Mini 2.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Running iOS 9.1 public beta, I get this when switching from an app with the keyboard up.

The app corrects itself after a few moments.

6 Plus, 9.1 PB build 13B5110e, 3.6

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Going to take a wild guess and say I have to get use to this font right? The font I type out looks great but the font in the app looks like a blocky code font.

Thanks for making this app though, makes everything a lot easier. Like it's really cool that you can bookmark archives, change backgrounds, favorite forums, and a bunch of other stuff that you normally can't do easily or at all on the web browser.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nude posted:

Going to take a wild guess and say I have to get use to this font right? The font I type out looks great but the font in the app looks like a blocky code font.

Do you have a yospos stylesheet selected?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Brain Curry posted:

I'm not too surprised honestly, as we're doing gross things to UISplitViewController to get it to work with "hide sidebar in landscape". There are a couple ways I can think of that might fix it, one of which is "remove the setting" but ideally that doesn't happen.

carry on then posted:

I know at some point someone switched Awful to use nearest neighbor scaling on emoticons in the app itself, that change probably didn't make it to the keyboard as well, or maybe it did but isn't working in iOS 9 for some reason.

'Twas a web view change, and the keyboard is not a web view. Not sure why there's new blurriness on the keyboard though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I just got an error message in my campus library's basement, where my phone doesn't get any cellular reception.

It said "database not found (code 7)" or something very like it. Couldn't load saved bookmarks.

Manually closing the app out and restarting fixed it.

It might've been some other error that looks similar to the "database unavailable" error from the Forums. Glad you got around it. We could do a better job reporting the error though.

Strange Quark posted:

Hey, I recently upgraded to iOS 9 on my 6+, and it seems like after I make a post, the app always crashes when I try making another, no matter how much time has past. I have to manually kill it and reopen it each time to get it to work again. Any idea what's up?

I don't have any idea what's up. We do have a decent number of iPhone 6+-specific issues, but I don't think any of them are crashers.

When does it crash? As soon as you tap "quote post" or "reply"? After the reply screen slides up?

Stare-Out posted:

On a 4S, iOS 9 with the latest Awful and I still have to update the forums manually. Also scrolling through the list of threads is really choppy occasionally. And Last Post still only takes you to the last page, not the last post.

Scrolling should be less choppy in the next version. The other issues I'll +1 on the list.

Womens Jeans posted:

I travel on 24+ hour plane trips very frequently. It would be great if I could save my bookmarked threads for offline viewing, so I'd have something to read on the plane. Would this be hard to code and implement?

It's actually already implemented, if you're willing to manually tap "next page" over and over again, and can deal with images probably not being cached. Automating the "tapping next page" part would be pretty easy, though I'm wary of hitting the already slow Forums with lots of requests at once. Doing a better job of caching images is something we should do but currently would be a bit of a pain.

Variable_H posted:

Running iOS 9.1 public beta, I get this when switching from an app with the keyboard up.

The app corrects itself after a few moments.

6 Plus, 9.1 PB build 13B5110e, 3.6

I probably won't fix this one since it goes away on its own, but I like having a preview of potential poo poo to fix in the near future :)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I was viewing some football threads when the app crashed. I restarted the app, instant crash, restarted phone, deleted and reinstalled. Crashes every time I try to log in :saddowns:

El Capo
Dec 1, 2012

Desde Colombia

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I was viewing some football threads when the app crashed. I restarted the app, instant crash, restarted phone, deleted and reinstalled. Crashes every time I try to log in :saddowns:

I have the same issue. I tried it on both my iPhones. Its an issue with iOS 9.1 it seems

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

El Capo posted:

I have the same issue. I tried it on both my iPhones. Its an issue with iOS 9.1 it seems

I'm not on 9.1 just 9 and the crashes started happening with me also. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, deleting restarting then reinstalling neither of these work.

The only change to my device was that installed blockr. I already had crystal running and everything was fine. Installed blockr earlier then the crashes started to happen. The way I seemed to fix it was disabled both content blockers in settings opened awful and it worked. Went back into setting and enabled them both again and awful has continued to work fine.

El Capo
Dec 1, 2012

Desde Colombia

Bioalchemist posted:

I'm not on 9.1 just 9 and the crashes started happening with me also. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, deleting restarting then reinstalling neither of these work.

The only change to my device was that installed blockr. I already had crystal running and everything was fine. Installed blockr earlier then the crashes started to happen. The way I seemed to fix it was disabled both content blockers in settings opened awful and it worked. Went back into setting and enabled them both again and awful has continued to work fine.

Just tried that but it didn't do any good for me. Still crashes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh man content blockers. This will be awesome.

Do you folks who are crashing have the no-ads upgrade?

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

"Subjunctive" posted:

Do you folks who are crashing have the no-ads upgrade?
yes

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

pokeyman posted:

I don't have any idea what's up. We do have a decent number of iPhone 6+-specific issues, but I don't think any of them are crashers.

When does it crash? As soon as you tap "quote post" or "reply"? After the reply screen slides up?

Immediately after the reply screen pops up. Sometimes quoting works if I reload the page it was on, and sometimes not. Sometimes I get the crash if I try quoting and but not when making a new reply.

It'll also sometimes crash if I try editing my own post immediately after I make it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What are the odds on Awful getting some sweet splitscreen/multitasking functionality on 9.0 iPads? Since it already has different phone/pad UI layouts it's obvious how it should look but how big a pain is it to implement?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Fedule posted:

What are the odds on Awful getting some sweet splitscreen/multitasking functionality on 9.0 iPads? Since it already has different phone/pad UI layouts it's obvious how it should look but how big a pain is it to implement?

...100%?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Huh. When I try I just get the standard pane that obscures the in-use app.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Fedule posted:

Huh. When I try I just get the standard pane that obscures the in-use app.

What model iPad do you have? Unless I misunderstood, the only models getting splitscreen multitasking were the ones with 2GB of RAM.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What model iPad do you have? Unless I misunderstood, the only models getting splitscreen multitasking were the ones with 2GB of RAM.

This is the mini 4, which iirc is an Air 2 internally. I can splitscreen stuff on other apps, just not Awful. I can check this more carefully this evening when I get home.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Awful supports split screen view in the latest version of the source, and since part of being eligible for it is to have the build target "latest iOS," the App Store version probably doesn't. I'm not sure if pokeyman has sent out a beta after we finished converting to Swift 2 and iOS 9 or not.

Either way, support should be coming soon to the App Store version.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 21, 2015

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Curious, why did you use Grab instead of ⌘S to screenshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

As I'm dicking around with the iPad version in the simulator, it looks like there's a bug where if the size changes and no thread is open, the back arrow might not appear so you're stuck looking at a blank screen unless you rotate to landscape. I'll try and isolate it a little more later.

• Locked thread