Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

EccoRaven posted:

yeah but at least almost all of the active players are part of it this time. if a thread split does work to bring back old players/attract new ones it'll be awful.

Wait, so bringing back old players/attracting new ones is awful?

(I hang with you guys in spite of this thread fyi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asiina posted:

The chat thread would devolve into even more in jokes and become increasingly separated from mafia, such that to a greater degree people will post in there and never play so we'll lose more people.

I don't get how B proceeds from A in this case. Is tying the random chatter of the community that exists among mafia players to the main mafia thread somehow necessary to keep mafia being played on SA? Apart from the OP, this thread has literally no mafia content. Besides, it's not like people play mafia anyway, considering basically every game nowadays inevitably is delayed for a week or more while they fill up, and replacements are inevitably necessary.

If we want to attract people to play our game, our game needs to be front and center, not buried under pages of pineapple-on-pizza chat. I like crew chat as much as anyone, but it doesn't help mafia get played.

quote:

Frankly the people who have a problem with this thread either need to accept that they aren't going to catch up and they should just jump in wherever the thread is when they check it or actually participate in the community that has been built and not demand that it be kept elsewhere.

Alternatively just bookmark the new game announcement thread and join games when you see them there and ignore this all together. This is the discussion thread, there's going to be discussion here. Get over it.

The people who gave up on hanging around because of this thread aren't going to come back just because they have no other option. There are other entertainments available.

Also, they're not going to read this discussion because they gave up on hanging around because of this thread.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

even pages are for mafia chat, odd pages are for buzzfeed chat or indulging whatever poo poo ecco wants to talk about

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

EVEN PAGE MAFIA CHAT:

who wants to look over the roles for my next Mega Man game

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
At the risk of mentioning an ongoing game, SirSamVimes, a recent addition to the community, apparently invited fans of Mad Max from the Fury Road movie thread to join his Fury Road Mafia game, and brought in 4 people who had never played a forums Mafia game before. They all started off a bit rough but have turned out to be fantastic new players, bringing really fresh effort and new approaches and techniques. It's exciting and I think they'll stick around.

So SSV seems to have found an somewhat untapped source of recruitment that solves a problem.

Anyone trying to manipulate and control the community by being self-appointed micromanager to try and make people do what they don't like and not do what they do like has a long track record of bad results, (which they then whine impotently about forever.)

This is a beautifully self-organizing and self-regulating free community that waxes and wanes organically and will always resist, defy, and overthrow attempts to impose control or authority, because people can just quit or do whatever they want rather than obey the latest dumb dictat, and they do.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
ecco delenda est

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Ecco, why am I a witch in your latest game? I hope it is some sort of compliment and that witch is Amharic for "strong warrior woman" or something.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm also considering running a WoW game and posting a thread linking to it in the WoW subforum. I'd run the game itself in the WoW subforum, but I don't think I'd be able to go without votefinder.

Or is it possible to use votefinder in a game in a different subforum?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lumpen, don't be so passive aggressive.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm also considering running a WoW game and posting a thread linking to it in the WoW subforum. I'd run the game itself in the WoW subforum, but I don't think I'd be able to go without votefinder.

When you go to add your game, you can manual add the url, instead of using the auto-search, right at the top of the page. That should work? I haven't ever actually tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Epsilon Plus posted:

EVEN PAGE MAFIA CHAT:

who wants to look over the roles for my next Mega Man game
I don't but instead,

Pre sign me up plz

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

EccoRaven posted:

ecco delenda est
Sic semper Ecco

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HiipFire posted:

I don't but instead,

Pre sign me up plz
Same.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742528

Hey you jerks, play this game.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
wait why would it be awful if a thread split brought people back who wanted to chat more about mafia than whatever the last 6000 posts have been about?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
trust in the invisible hand of the mafia thread

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
First and foremost, Asiina, why didn't you use the tag for this thread? Now I have to design a game to use it.

EccoRaven posted:

going through the wiki's settings on the off-chance it's something really simple like a button and it'll reactivate registrations.

I'm not seeing it at a glance but if anyone wants to know what the spambot problem was like here is a preview:
http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/w/index.php?title=Special:BlockList&limit=500

and this doesn't even include deletions for their spam pages and rolling back edits to real articles (they liked the Game List a lot).

Would something like a captcha help with that? I'm not too certain how helpful those kinds of things are these days.

SirSamVimes posted:

You can put in a link to any SA thread into votefinder when you're adding a game.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still (slowly) working on a Diablo III themed game as well to post in that thread

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

wait why would it be awful if a thread split brought people back who wanted to chat more about mafia than whatever the last 6000 posts have been about?

I'm hoping Ecco mistyped because otherwise she espoused a very lovely attitude right there.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I know I am part of the shitposting problem. I'll go with whatever the community decides, either a crew thread or whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm also of the opinion that there's not enough serious game discussion to support a thread on its own.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh wait, I get what she means. We are incredibly cliquey (true) and if a new influx of players comes they will feel how poopy it is, gonna blame my early brain for that one.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

I don't get how B proceeds from A in this case. Is tying the random chatter of the community that exists among mafia players to the main mafia thread somehow necessary to keep mafia being played on SA? Apart from the OP, this thread has literally no mafia content. Besides, it's not like people play mafia anyway, considering basically every game nowadays inevitably is delayed for a week or more while they fill up, and replacements are inevitably necessary.

If we want to attract people to play our game, our game needs to be front and center, not buried under pages of pineapple-on-pizza chat. I like crew chat as much as anyone, but it doesn't help mafia get played.

The people who gave up on hanging around because of this thread aren't going to come back just because they have no other option. There are other entertainments available.

Also, they're not going to read this discussion because they gave up on hanging around because of this thread.

I don't see how the discussion thread has anything to do with actually playing games. I feel like it takes a lot of heat for what is an entirely separate problem. The OP is kept updated with currently recruiting games and there is a new game announcement thread which satisfies people's need to find games to play in. No amount of casual chat is preventing that. If there was a separate thread just for mafia theory, how would that make games more likely to fill up? It would have just as little to do with finding players for games as this one does.

Also you are saying completely untrue things. There is mafia chat in this thread and it's mixed in with the regular discussion because that's how people discuss things. They move from topic to topic. There are also 7 currently running games, plus CPig's is in signups. So there's plenty of mafia being played. I don't know what replacements have to do with anything.

The real complaint seems to be that some people see a big thread with a lot of posts and find that impenetrable, which is fair but also not really a problem to be solved by the community. There are lots of threads on this forum with thousands of pages and hundreds of posts each day that are really hard to keep up with, so you do exactly what I said earlier if you can't keep up, either you don't participate in them, or you just jump in once in a while at whatever the current page and current topic of discussion is, or you contribute something that is relevant to the thread's title to move the conversation to something you are interested in. If people aren't willing to do any of those things then I honestly don't see how that's our problem to fix. And again, it's fine if they don't want to do those things because participating in the discussion thread is not a prerequisite to actually playing mafia.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I think anyone can start a crew thread, a circlejerk thread, aa crunchy mechanics thread, whatever. They can use their best judgement to choose the best place for it. The best title for it. The best OP content. The best way to promote it.
Anyone who thinks they have a good idea can go ahead and launch it. It'd be great to see a bunch of ideas tried.
The best threads, the best ways to support the community, will naturally succeed. The good ideas will flourish and be popular.

uranus posted:

trust in the invisible hand of the mafia thread
Exactly.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and having a game sitting in signups for a while isn't a bad thing at all, because people die in games or they finish up a big project at work and have some free time, and having a new game available for them to sign up is nice.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

I know I am part of the shitposting problem.

Shitposting is what makes this place great and fun.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Oh wait, I get what she means. We are incredibly cliquey (true)

I welcome everyone with open arms. Honestly I don't feel like we are cliquey , we pretty much welcome everyone, even the controversial people like Krell are welcomed and only blacklisted by a couple mods.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i constantly skip over hundreds of posts here, sometimes even over 1000. its like, a room of people chatting irl, you cant be in it all the time and when you come in you cant expect to know everything everyone has said while you were gone. its nbd

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

uranus posted:

yeah i constantly skip over hundreds of posts here, sometimes even over 1000. its like, a room of people chatting irl, you cant be in it all the time and when you come in you cant expect to know everything everyone has said while you were gone. its nbd

This is my attitude about it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

pretty much

i had no problem jumping into this thread 3 years ago or whenever the hell that was but then again it wasn't super buzzfeed mode back then

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Oh wait, I get what she means. We are incredibly cliquey (true) and if a new influx of players comes they will feel how poopy it is, gonna blame my early brain for that one.

I feel like she was talking about the old split creating a shitpost thread that was cliquey, that is what I get from the context. If that's really what her argument is, she is misremembering -- first, the split was not intentional, it was a silly game that devolved into a chat thread and eventually the thread was renamed and it became an off topic discussion thread. Second, the Actual Mafia Discussion folks back then (postmodifier and Varinn come to mind) were so elitist and personal in their attacks that it was alienating for a lot of people, and those people tended to hang out in the "circlejerk" thread simply because it was far more low key.

The level of cliqueyness and elitism was what led to the split, not a result of it. The people in the shitpost thread were the opposite of cliquey -- a lot of us went out of our way to pull new folks in for fun conversation and nobody was horrible and mean like in the main thread. I think general memory of that has faded and most people just remember that Piuro was kind of a shithead around the situation, but he's always been a polarizing dude.

I know I'm not the only one who felt alienated by the main thread clique. I'm cool with Ecco now but back then she was part of the problem and I don't know why she thinks she remembers what the circlejerk thread was like since she never posted there and was solidly in the elitist clique camp back then.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Also you are saying completely untrue things. There is mafia chat in this thread and it's mixed in with the regular discussion because that's how people discuss things. They move from topic to topic.

The real complaint seems to be that some people see a big thread with a lot of posts and find that impenetrable, which is fair but also not really a problem to be solved by the community.

Normal threads on this forum have standards about keeping on topic.

I don't understand why this thread being impenetrable is a problem that can't or shouldn't be solved. Some people really dig the Crew discussion and that's great. It will never hurt for activity. But a separate Mafia chat will have a better time retaining people who want to stay in the community without riding the roller coaster that is this thread. We lose good friendly people all the time that just can't keep up.

Someone wants to take a break from playing Mafia. Now every time they open their SA Mafia feed there's 200 posts per day that have little to do with mafia to catch up on or skip. Just imagine you're the kind of person who doesn't want to ever read that or just doesn't have the time commitment to read it like you used to. I think it's a lot more difficult than you realize to jump back in.

If it was me, I'd rather take my Mafia break but still read the 10-20 Mafia-specific posts per day. Being able to do a quick scroll and see the Mafia-specific discussion, the posts announcing that a game has ended in a ~~Mafia~~ victory, and knowing the onslaught of the Crew thread is a single thread away is actually rather inviting. It keeps me engaged and willing to come back sooner because it provides an easy way to keep up with things.

It's a Choose-Your-Own-Commitment.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Oh, and having a game sitting in signups for a while isn't a bad thing at all, because people die in games or they finish up a big project at work and have some free time, and having a new game available for them to sign up is nice.

The problem here is someone who signs up wanting to, you know, play a game. Now they have to wait a week or sign up for multiple games. Some people don't have the ability to commit to simultaneous games.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

The problem here is someone who signs up wanting to, you know, play a game. Now they have to wait a week or sign up for multiple games. Some people don't have the ability to commit to simultaneous games.

But what's the other option? Have games be posted so infrequently that they fill up instantly? That's the same problem in that "I want to play mafia now but I can't" but now there's even fewer games because they're on some schedule or something along those lines.

Either you have games waiting for signups or you have games that fill up quickly and no games in signups. Those are the options.

If there's a problem of many games trying to get players at the same time and splitting the playerbase, then we can talk about how people should wait to open their games if there are other games currently in signups, which is a big part of the reason I wanted to keep track of what games were in signups in the OP. We don't need a queue, just people being considerate and not undercutting other people trying to run a game by having to open theirs RIGHT NOW! Which I say as someone who has been guilty of that, and I'll try to be mindful of in the future.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Met posted:

YEAH that's why people should join my game

There is a great and ACTIVE roster so far so JOIN IT!

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirSamVimes posted:

Kewpuh wouldn't want a game on those subforums, he hates the amount of reports this stuff gets.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ecco, why am I a witch in your latest game? I hope it is some sort of compliment and that witch is Amharic for "strong warrior woman" or something.

it's a cool badass fire witch so yes consider it a compliment (I came up with the name/theme well before Pearl ended).

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I'm hoping Ecco mistyped because otherwise she espoused a very lovely attitude right there.
I mean in the context of "people are super clique-y," my post meant "it would be awful if we developed back into two cliques." Sorry it wasn't clear but I thought it was obvious from context.

oh haha yeah. the people who don't want to casual-chat with us will not join a crew thread and it will, invariably, lead to clique-y feelings.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

But what's the other option? Have games be posted so infrequently that they fill up instantly? That's the same problem in that "I want to play mafia now but I can't" but now there's even fewer games because they're on some schedule or something along those lines.

Either you have games waiting for signups or you have games that fill up quickly and no games in signups. Those are the options.

If there's a problem of many games trying to get players at the same time and splitting the playerbase, then we can talk about how people should wait to open their games if there are other games currently in signups, which is a big part of the reason I wanted to keep track of what games were in signups in the OP. We don't need a queue, just people being considerate and not undercutting other people trying to run a game by having to open theirs RIGHT NOW! Which I say as someone who has been guilty of that, and I'll try to be mindful of in the future.

Having more people wanting to play mafia than signups available in games is a problem that solves itself. People are naturally inclined to start games if there's interest.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Normal threads on this forum have standards about keeping on topic.

I don't understand why this thread being impenetrable is a problem that can't or shouldn't be solved. Some people really dig the Crew discussion and that's great. It will never hurt for activity. But a separate Mafia chat will have a better time retaining people who want to stay in the community without riding the roller coaster that is this thread. We lose good friendly people all the time that just can't keep up.

Someone wants to take a break from playing Mafia. Now every time they open their SA Mafia feed there's 200 posts per day that have little to do with mafia to catch up on or skip. Just imagine you're the kind of person who doesn't want to ever read that or just doesn't have the time commitment to read it like you used to. I think it's a lot more difficult than you realize to jump back in.

If it was me, I'd rather take my Mafia break but still read the 10-20 Mafia-specific posts per day. Being able to do a quick scroll and see the Mafia-specific discussion, the posts announcing that a game has ended in a ~~Mafia~~ victory, and knowing the onslaught of the Crew thread is a single thread away is actually rather inviting. It keeps me engaged and willing to come back sooner because it provides an easy way to keep up with things.

It's a Choose-Your-Own-Commitment.

I do understand that, because I am subscribed to multiple threads right now that have a similar speed and that I do post in maybe once a month or so with whatever the topic is at hand. I'm not just talking out of my rear end. I do this. Others do this here.

And again, what does mafia theory related chat have to do with actually playing games? Would reading "Jesters: Worse than hitler or hilarious scamps?" and nothing else make you want to play in some particular game in another thread? Why?

Perhaps the buzzfeeds are a little too off topic, but there haven't been that many lately, that was a mid-summer thing, so it's unfair to act like that's all this thread is. I'm never going to agree that people who want to talk about their day, or something important that happened to them, or something stupid and hilarious that happened to them should ever not be allowed. We are a community of people. We do a secret santa together. We've met each other in real life. We share a common interest that we like to talk about while also talking about other things because we are social human beings.

If someone doesn't want to be a part of that, they are more than welcome to not read the thread. Nobody is forcing them. But don't act like it's harmful just because they don't want to join in.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Having more people wanting to play mafia than signups available in games is a problem that solves itself. People are naturally inclined to start games if there's interest.

B...but then there will be games that sit in signups.

Think it through.

The real problem is that people (I'm including myself here) need to not freak out if their game doesn't fill up fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Asiina posted:

B...but then there will be games that sit in signups.

Think it through.

The real problem is that people (I'm including myself here) need to not freak out if their game doesn't fill up fast.

yeah, never freak out just Advertise!

*cough*