Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've decided that I need an electric impact wrench in my life. I'm sick of putting things off because I have to dick around with stretching air hose and charging the compressor.

I've already bought into the Makita 18v lithium lineup, so I'm stuck between two models and could use some input.

Should I get a smaller brushless wrench with 210 ft. Lbs torque, or the slightly cheaper, heftier version with 325 ft. lbs torque?

It probably won't see any use harder than an occasional axle nut, if that helps.

Smaller, more maneuverable one, if you hit something you can't break loose you can always fire up the air.

Edit: that's from experience where my big badass impact sometimes doesn't fit and I just want something to zip a few nuts on.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

EightBit posted:

Wires don't have to be under tension to transmit vibration, the copper will take care of that.

What do you have going on in your car that there is so much vibration that soldered joints are cracking on slack stranded wire?

I understand why NASA doesn't use solder, but I don't need to visually verify the integrity of my stereo wiring before I leave every morning and I've never been in a car that generates as much vibration as a pair of SRBs.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

Cat Hatter posted:

What do you have going on in your car that there is so much vibration that soldered joints are cracking on slack stranded wire?

I understand why NASA doesn't use solder, but I don't need to visually verify the integrity of my stereo wiring before I leave every morning and I've never been in a car that generates as much vibration as a pair of SRBs.

Got Bass? Obvisoulsy not :smug:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

Smaller, more maneuverable one, if you hit something you can't break loose you can always fire up the air.

Edit: that's from experience where my big badass impact sometimes doesn't fit and I just want something to zip a few nuts on.

Thanks! That's a really great point. I'd rather have something that'd be able to navigate around inside the wheel well, since midwest rust is one of the strongest bonds known to man. I wouldn't be surprised if NASA even used it to build part the space shuttle.

Now that I've an impact wrench, are
Harbor Freight torque sticks any good? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If it's just for your car, get a single Snap-On torque stick for the correct range for your car.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks! That's a really great point. I'd rather have something that'd be able to navigate around inside the wheel well, since midwest rust is one of the strongest bonds known to man. I wouldn't be surprised if NASA even used it to build part the space shuttle.

If your paranoid enough about over torquing your lug nuts, spend the 30 bucks and get a decent torque stick. Or better yet, a torque wrench.

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

I decided I needed a service cart at work, but the affordable ones are garbage, and the good ones are too pricey. Fortunately for me, when we get scaffolding that is bent in one spot it is no longer usable even though the rest of it is perfectly fine, so I decided to combine that with some of the leftover stock plate steel we have just sitting around collecting rust.

After a few hours of playing with the sawzall and welder, and I have this:

Probably the most heavy duty cart I've ever seen. The whole thing is 10 gauge steel, with the legs made out of steel scaffolding frames (I didn't realise two of them were galvanized until after I started, so I used an angle grinder to take off as much as I could from the spots I was welding). I didn't take a picture of the underside but the top table is supported by 1/8" thick 1" square steel tubing. The casters I stole from a new box, and are rated for 750 lbs each. So when you consider the safety factor built into scaffolding, I can probably get over 2 tons on it without buckling. Downside is that it weighs like 150lbs, but our shop and yard are pretty smooth, and the casters are 8", so it rolls no problem. Overkill? Maybe, but I got the materials for free, and I managed to sneak in a little bit of work at a time over a couple weeks so actually I got paid to make it.

All in all it came out pretty good despite not having any kind of jig to hold it while welding or even a chop saw to make straight cuts.

Painted green because Sunbelt:

What PC are you at? I'm at PC179 myself. General tool, small tool mechanic here, why doesn't your shop have a chopsaw? We have one we use mainly for cutting hydraulic line. What we don't have is hardly any scaffolding and no steel stock like plate

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

ajcz posted:

What PC are you at? I'm at PC179 myself. General tool, small tool mechanic here, why doesn't your shop have a chopsaw? We have one we use mainly for cutting hydraulic line. What we don't have is hardly any scaffolding and no steel stock like plate

PC838, aka the largest shop in the country, although I need to qualify that. The country is Canada, and we've only been operating out of this shop for 5 months. We don't have a chop saw because the company we were before was too cheap to buy things that weren't absolutely vitally necessary. All of our stock plate is leftovers from various other projects.

Other things we don't have include:
-1" impact gun
-functioning press
-wash bay
-service manager
-ticketed HD mechanics in the shop (I'm an apprentice, my coworkers include a former automotive tech, and a former aviation tech. Only the current branch manager has a ticket)
-employee handbook applicable to Canadian law

A lot of that stuff is in the pipeline, we're still getting up and running. In the meantime we do have a badass 55cfm compressor and 5 ton overhead crane to play around with.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

They are consistent, but I wouldn't consider them accurate. I'd need a dial-style to see where it ends up at but the lowest stick in the lot, even when I turn my gun all the way down, can still overtorque a bit. It works perfectly on my Jeep since where it ends up still leaves me another 10-20 ftlb to gain with an actual torque wrench, but it makes it less useful for the lower torque spec on my CR-V.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mod sassinator posted:

Actually aren't the best connectors the ones that crimp and have a low temperature solder that you melt with a heat gun? They usually have glue in them too so the crimp & glue makes it watertight and the solder guarantees a solid connection. These guys: http://www.delcity.net/store/Heat-S...CFUZafgodj7oAPg

Those are super expensive, nobody can afford to use those on a regular basis.

My dad has been doing car wiring for decades using the old fashioned standard crimps, and there's never been an issue.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm looking for a sprayer to use with Kerosene to clean the chain on my motorcycle. Is there a paint sprayer from HF that would work? I figure for ten bucks, something that doesn't need pumped and is solvent friendly probably makes more sense than a spray bottle. Mostly I'm concerned with finding something that sprays a decent volume in a circle pattern rather than a line. Will any of the HF paint guns work?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

revmoo posted:

I'm looking for a sprayer to use with Kerosene to clean the chain on my motorcycle. Is there a paint sprayer from HF that would work? I figure for ten bucks, something that doesn't need pumped and is solvent friendly probably makes more sense than a spray bottle. Mostly I'm concerned with finding something that sprays a decent volume in a circle pattern rather than a line. Will any of the HF paint guns work?

I have been using the smallest ace hardware pesticide sprayer for stuff like this for awhile now. You do have to pump it but 20 or so pumps gets a good amount of spray time. Mine hasn't melted yet and it's had various combinations of diesel, acetone, and transmission fluid sprayed out of it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StormDrain posted:

I had the pressure bleeder out of the box and pushed a quart of fluid through the system in under an hour. Not bad I say.

I finally got around to using mine and had so many problems. The bleeder mostly worked, but it leaked at the connection to the reservoir cap and where the two hoses join in the middle. I also wasn't sure where to place the bottle or hang the hose. There was air in the hose and I was trying to keep it elevated so it wouldn't get pushed down.

I had problems getting the rear passenger valve open until I took a socket to it, which meant fluid leaked until I got a hose on it. Then, it took significantly more turns to tighten it than it did to loosen it. :shrug: The other rear was also a bit of a pain to get to. The fronts were super accessible and clean and worked like a charm.

Hopefully next time will be better as I get the kinks out of my system.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

rally posted:

I have been using the smallest ace hardware pesticide sprayer for stuff like this for awhile now. You do have to pump it but 20 or so pumps gets a good amount of spray time. Mine hasn't melted yet and it's had various combinations of diesel, acetone, and transmission fluid sprayed out of it.

Good idea. I ended up needing to go to HF so I grabbed the touch up spray paint gun. It does in fact work, but it's not any easier or cleaner than simply using a sprayer bottle. It makes quite the mess so you have to mask off the rest of the bike. Also it has too much air:fluid ratio and even with the adjustments you can't fix it enough.

So, it works, it's just not worth bothering with.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cat Hatter posted:

You don't need much vibration to weaken a solder joint over thousands of miles. The slack wire is part of the problem. Soldered joints in the ECU/radio/etc. don't crack easily because they are usually a bit insulated and because they can't move much. That slack wire moves around more, which speeds up the solder failure.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

I finally got around to using mine and had so many problems. The bleeder mostly worked, but it leaked at the connection to the reservoir cap and where the two hoses join in the middle. I also wasn't sure where to place the bottle or hang the hose. There was air in the hose and I was trying to keep it elevated so it wouldn't get pushed down.

I had problems getting the rear passenger valve open until I took a socket to it, which meant fluid leaked until I got a hose on it. Then, it took significantly more turns to tighten it than it did to loosen it. :shrug: The other rear was also a bit of a pain to get to. The fronts were super accessible and clean and worked like a charm.

Hopefully next time will be better as I get the kinks out of my system.

Don't worry about air in the hose, the flow isn't fast enough to push it through the cylinder, the brake fluid always sinks. When I pulled the plate from my master it was as full as anyone would ever want.

You can use Teflon tape at the intermediate connection, no idea why it leaked at the master. I should have mentioned mine leaked a bit too, I rested that part on the lid to the master cylinder.

I have a giant engine bay so I just stuffed the pump wherever, always vertical obviously.

The rest I would attribute to it being neglected and will be better next time.

I think the best part of having this is that I won't have to put off work requiring a bleed again since I can just add 45 minutes to my time estimate for that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

StormDrain posted:

You can use Teflon tape at the intermediate connection, no idea why it leaked at the master. I should have mentioned mine leaked a bit too, I rested that part on the lid to the master cylinder.

It seemed like the clamps on the hose weren't tight. I might replace them with worm clamps. And I saw a mod to replace the intermediate connection with a quick disconnect so it could rotate, which I may also do.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

EightBit posted:

You don't need much vibration to weaken a solder joint over thousands of miles. The slack wire is part of the problem. Soldered joints in the ECU/radio/etc. don't crack easily because they are usually a bit insulated and because they can't move much. That slack wire moves around more, which speeds up the solder failure.

I mean that you would need a lot of vibration just to get any to the joint in the first place. Rope, chain, wire etc don't transfer vibration very well unless they are tight.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Copper in the cables is solid enough to transmit vibration without tension.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Uthor posted:

It seemed like the clamps on the hose weren't tight. I might replace them with worm clamps. And I saw a mod to replace the intermediate connection with a quick disconnect so it could rotate, which I may also do.

Black label rotates :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

I mean that you would need a lot of vibration just to get any to the joint in the first place. Rope, chain, wire etc don't transfer vibration very well unless they are tight.

Cars are generally designed to hide the NVH from people sitting in the seats, but there's a lot of vibration in the rest of the chassis that you don't feel.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

revmoo posted:

Black label rotates :getin:

Can I fill my brake lines with this?

I mean, I can, but will I immediately die?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Twice as bad as water so......yes?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
But when you compress it and add some heat it will explode and fuse the brake caliper to the rotor, thus stopping your car. Once.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mod sassinator posted:

But when you compress it and add some heat it will explode and fuse the brake caliper to the rotor, thus stopping your car. Once.

See, it's fail-safe. You'll be fine

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

EightBit posted:

Copper in the cables is solid enough to transmit vibration without tension.

If the wiring harness I made in high school for the Jeep I still use as a daily driver ten years later ever fails, I'll be sure to post about it. Until then I'll continue to think the anti-solder crowd is making mountains out of molehills.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm anti-solder because I can't solder for poo poo...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Uthor posted:

I'm anti-solder because I can't solder for poo poo...

It's really easy. You probably just need a better (and hotter) soldering iron.

I like soldering, but i also like crimping. Probably because i have spent a small fortune on special crimping tools.

Crimping tools are really loving expensive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Having seen what previous owners have done with the wiring on my Land Rover and have it still work, I'm going to say that whatever you do will likely be fine.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Having seen what previous owners have done with the wiring on my Land Rover and have it still work, I'm going to say that whatever you do will likely be fine.

You sure it didn't come from the factory like that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Surprisingly, someone made it worse. Quite literally twisting bare wires together in areas completely exposed to spray off the wheels and through the grille, that kind of level.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Surprisingly, someone made it worse. Quite literally twisting bare wires together in areas completely exposed to spray off the wheels and through the grille, that kind of level.

People are amazing.

I keep finding small things on my van that just make me facepalm. Last one was pulling radio out to change the wiring for the steering wheel controls. A bunch of unused amp wiring just stuffed in the dash, poo poo taped up, etc.

Really not looking forward to pulling the ply lining floor to replace it when needed, since i now know the screws were just gunned through the loving floor. I forsee welding in patches. My poor beast. :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Quite literally twisting bare wires together in areas completely exposed to spray off the wheels and through the grille, that kind of level.

Mooseykins posted:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh no, twisted wires are too easy to work on. Factory is Lucas bullet connectors for the optimum balance of poor performance, fast degredation, and fiddliness of working on them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

Twice as bad as water so......yes?

So you're saying I should fill my brake lines with mercury, and just deal with the fact that it's a solid on the coldest days of winter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Just stick a block heater in the master cylinder. Mercury conducts heat well, so you don't have to do all the lines. :science:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

How to amalgamate your master cylinder in one easy step.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

peepsalot posted:

How to amalgamate your master cylinder in one easy step.

How to turn your garage into an honest to goodness Superfund site in one easy step... :v:

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mooseykins posted:

Crimping tools are really loving expensive.

Good crimping tools are really loving expensive.

I'm about to rewire my landy. Already done it once but had loads of issues with some of the crimps I did before I had a decent crimper, and I'm changing the dash, fitting an ecu and moving the fuse box so i might as well rewire pretty much everything again.

I am happy sticking with crimping with no solder, but they will all be decent crimps done with my proper crimper on decent quality uninsulated terminals and i'm going to put heat shrink tube over every crimp afterwards