Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Patter Song posted:

I think two axes are necessary: insider/outsider and Establishment/Antiestablishment.

Jeb Bush = Establishment Insider
Ted Cruz = Antiestablishment Insider
Carly Fiorina = Establishment Outsider
Donald Trump = Antiestablishment Outsider

dont get the fiorina designation considering her entire candidacy surge is based on the conservative mainstream saying how amazing she was in that first joke kiddie debate.

maybe different definitions of outsider but ceo/failed senate run dont strike me as an outsider.

fun tunnel fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

fun tunnel posted:

dont get the fiorina designation considering her entire candidacy surge is based on the conservative mainstream saying how amazing she was in that first joke kiddie debate.

maybe different definitions of outsider but ceo/failed senate run dont strike me as an outsider.

Outsider means not in mainstream politics via holding office

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fun tunnel posted:

She's an outsider because she's never held elected office or been in a job that significantly involved elected officials or elections. One campaign doesn't make her an insider, especially when it was as ineptly run as hers.

She's establishment because, as you note, the party establishment really likes her and is supporting her.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
chalk it up to different definitions then but thats squabbling over semantics.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Carly is an outsider to the media, but an establishment-RINO to the base.

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free
the question is would fiorina and carson's supporters be more likely to go to trump or rubio? as for bush, he could regroup if the Eye of The Donald moves to other better polling candidates for a while but if trump bullies him straight through to christmas then it will kill his candidacy

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

Remember when people wanted John Kerry excommunicated from the Church for being pro-choice? Maybe someone should call them up to ask about Chris Christie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-christie-pope-francis-cuba_55ff07bbe4b0fde8b0cead48?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&section=politics

Marco Rubio, who is Catholic when it's to his advantage to be so, was a bit more tactful:

Way to piss in the Pope's face when he's touring your backyard, Christie.

Do you expect Christie to change his opinions just because the Pope disagrees? I think it was a decent answer.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Reaganball Z posted:

the question is would fiorina and carson's supporters be more likely to go to trump or rubio? as for bush, he could regroup if the Eye of The Donald moves to other better polling candidates for a while but if trump bullies him straight through to christmas then it will kill his candidacy

jeb is done. the base knows it. the establishment knows it. the donor class knows it. id be shocked at their incompetence if i didnt know they had nominated mcain/romny the last two elections. stiff in a suit is done after the base going face down rear end up for two candidates they hate cause 'they had the best shot at winning' before being easily beaten.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fun tunnel posted:

jeb is done. the base knows it. the establishment knows it. the donor class knows it. id be shocked at their incompetence if i didnt know they had nominated mcain/romny the last two elections. stiff in a suit is done after the base going face down rear end up for two candidates they hate cause 'they had the best shot at winning' before being easily beaten.

Probably waiting until Jeb!lation unfolds on Super Tuesday!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

not only that

Generation X were staunchly against Reagan and the establishment. Punk music and grunge in the 80s made sure to vehemently go after the oval office

Punks were a small part of gen x. That's the most-republican generation.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Nonsense posted:

Probably waiting until Jeb!lation unfolds on Super Tuesday!

like any other elite the republican media/establishment is hilariously isolated.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

But the exclamation mark connotes excitement

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
jabe has to go down as one of the most incompetently ran campaigns in recent memory. infinite money/media/political backing and he cant crack the margin of error.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fun tunnel posted:

jabe has to go down as one of the most incompetently ran campaigns in recent memory. infinite money/media/political backing and he cant crack the margin of error.
Bush looks like the second coming of JFK compared to the way Walker has faceplanted.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

FMguru posted:

Bush looks like the second coming of JFK compared to the way Walker has faceplanted.

walker at least has the excuse of being an unfortunate looking man married to a women 12 years his senior. bush is the son of a political dynasty the general electorate wouldve bullied in junior high.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
someone photoshop jeb bush as the twin towers with jeb bush on a segway as the plane flying into them.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax
Trump is the only choice.

When trump talks about immigration and citizenship by blood rather than accident of birth it makes me so happy.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Can we posthumously try Prescott Bush for treason?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I wonder how Cruz feels about birthright citizenship. He was silent during that part of the debate. Since he was born in Canada, I'm sure he can speak from experience about the issue.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fun tunnel posted:

walker at least has the excuse of being an unfortunate looking man married to a women 12 years his senior. bush is the son of a political dynasty the general electorate wouldve bullied in junior high.

im not sure why you decided to get a burn in on scott's wife but older women can be hot to some people

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:lol: she's like the Sarah Palin to Sarah Palin.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I was away for the weekend. Anything happen that will change the race, or did Donald Trump just say more ridiculous stuff while Hillary came off cold in interviews?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Feelin' the Bern.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Can we posthumously try Prescott Bush for treason?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Joementum posted:

I was away for the weekend. Anything happen that will change the race, or did Donald Trump just say more ridiculous stuff while Hillary came off cold in interviews?

Post debate polls or something

nothing really happened

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Ben Carson said that Muslims shouldn't be president

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xenophon posted:

Why we don't give interviews while high for 500, Alex.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Xenophon posted:

Which really doesn't make sense with how good Obama has been doing.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

Which really doesn't make sense with how good Obama has been doing.

Yeah, Ben Carson thinks Obama's doing great.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Xenophon posted:

To be honest, I feel like this is the early rumblings of the next major issue of the primary, which is, Doing Something About the Muslims

With Donald Trump getting railed over the True Tea Party Patriot in his audience, Ben Carson saying Muslims shouldn't be president, all the pundits and candidates weighing in on the Syrian refugee crisis over the last few weeks, and then the general conservative response so far to Obama inviting Ahmed Mohamed (the clock kid) to the white house... Islamophobic statements seem to be ramping up pretty quickly

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

A second segway has hit the tower.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mirthless posted:

To be honest, I feel like this is the early rumblings of the next major issue of the primary, which is, Doing Something About the Muslims

With Donald Trump getting railed over the True Tea Party Patriot in his audience, Ben Carson saying Muslims shouldn't be president, all the pundits and candidates weighing in on the Syrian refugee crisis over the last few weeks, and then the general conservative response so far to Obama inviting Ahmed Mohamed (the clock kid) to the white house... Islamophobic statements seem to be ramping up pretty quickly

Well, they are getting the picture regarding gay marriage and have pivoted to another lowest common denominator.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mirthless posted:

what have they said so far about the Syrian refugees? i assume awful poo poo but still.

I have heard similar stuff from people around my area.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Whether religious tests should be required for office was one of the most contentious issues in ratifying the constitution. The residents of Townshend, MA instructed their delegates to the Massachusetts ratifying convention, "Atheists Deists Papits or abettors of any false religious" should be kept out of office though they "would not Exclude any Denomination of Protestants who hold the fundamentals of our religion". That last bit was important because ratification would require the votes of delegates from Maine (at the time part of Massachusetts), many of whom were (gasp) Baptist.

Similar debates occurred in Virginia and North Carolina.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what have they said so far about the Syrian refugees? i assume awful poo poo but still.

I have heard similar stuff from people around my area.

There's been some attempts to keep it positive but negativity from the usual suspects (cruz, huckabee) has been consistent and with the new pledge from Kerry to up our cap to 100,000 refugees in by 2017 and bring in at least a token amount of Syrians, I expect the rhetoric from the islamophobic branch of the GOP to be extreme, and loud.

I feel like DWS' position on having only six debates is starting to make a lot of sense. While the Democrats fly under the radar, the Republicans are hard at work hanging themselves with all this rope we're giving them.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 21, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Joementum posted:

Whether religious tests should be required for office was one of the most contentious issues in ratifying the constitution. The residents of Townshend, MA instructed their delegates to the Massachusetts ratifying convention, "Atheists Deists Papits or abettors of any false religious" should be kept out of office though they "would not Exclude any Denomination of Protestants who hold the fundamentals of our religion". That last bit was important because ratification would require the votes of delegates from Maine (at the time part of Massachusetts), many of whom were (gasp) Baptist.

Similar debates occurred in Virginia and North Carolina.

This is actually a really interesting topic because not only does it explain the historical context of the First Amendment, but it brings to fore the idea of Christianization, especially in the US. Namely, that instead of different Christian sects, you have this uniform blob of American "Christianity" (with maybe some Catholics off to the side, especially Hispanic and New England Catholics?) which is especially glaring when you think about how prominent sectarianism is in some parts of the Old World.

It's a fascinating conceptual shift and explains some of how Supply Side Gospel also came to be: when you are just vaguely "Christian" it's easier to not get entangled in the orthodoxy and the Word which is useful when you use religion as an identity-political tool instead of, you know, a religion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mirthless posted:

I feel like DWS' position on having only six debates is starting to make a lot of sense. While the Democrats fly under the radar, the Republicans are hard at work hanging themselves with all this rope we're giving them.

Likewise the repubs have all this time to try to weed out their insurgent candidates, or in this year's case try to outlast Trump's bluster and still have 6 debates after he runs out of steam.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The GOP primary audience is pretty anti Muslim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just catching up on the candidates' twitter feeds. Mostly boring except the usual suspects.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
MAYBE EVEN GREATER

Yep.

Heh. Trump also reposted ~10 people this morning telling him not to back down on the Muslim issue. One of the most fascinating things about his social media use to me is that he honestly does not understand how to retweet - he actually just reposts the person's comment with their name and quotation marks.

"I'll just engage ALL the frontrunners!"

• Locked thread