Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I remember now. They were wanting to get all electricians 12cal coveralls just for day to day work and I think 40cal on hand if anyone was working above a certain voltage.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a division photo somewhere with all of them wearing my loving shirts. I drop a god drat g on those things and I didn't even get one. The loving commodore and command senior chief did, though.

This is still the most Navy.txt story out there. I like to imagine that the sailor who went up to HBB's berthing asking for her box of rear end-torn books back was wearing ones of these exact shirts

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Ryand pretty much said all of the interesting stuff.

Whenever you're working on energized circuits, there exists the possibility of shorting stuff together because Navy techs are barely trained 18 and 19 year olds for the most part.

When you short stuff together that shouldn't be while also blazing off your tagout, you can generate impressively sized plasma balls.

Unlike the balls that most sailors are familiar with, these plasma balls can quickly turn you into a crispy critter.

Arc flash suits are designed to protect your body from severe crispy critter syndrome.

If FN Timmy shorts his 0.1 ohm wrench across a live 450V bus bar, you'll get an instantaneous power load through the wrench of about 2 megawatts. Most of that will be dissipated as heat. Imagine a generator the size of a school bus sending all of its rated power through a wrench for an instant.

You don't want to be nearby when that happens.

When working with even higher voltages, you'll see even more severe arc flashes. Touching a live 5000 volt system can vaporize that segment of your body. Touching a 13kV system can blow your body apart into small pieces.

You get the idea.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Navy Thread: Arc Suits General

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Heading out to the field for a month long field exercise tomorrow, and we're doing it Seabee style! Which basically means bring a rolling flight bag, Alice pack and a day pack full of gear to ensure maximum low speed, high drag performance. Also show up at five am with all gear so we can wait for another detachment to muster and load their gear before us at six.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

Heading out to the field for a month long field exercise tomorrow, and we're doing it Seabee style! Which basically means bring a rolling flight bag, Alice pack and a day pack full of gear to ensure maximum low speed, high drag performance. Also show up at five am with all gear so we can wait for another detachment to muster and load their gear before us at six.

Bring an inexpensive folding stool. That will ensure you've always got somewhere to sit, even in the middle of the field. Baby wipes for your rear end, armpits, and in between your toes. Gold Bond helps keep chaffing to minimum. Also, stock up on tobacco and sell it to stupid sailors in two weeks when everyone is out.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I just wanted to check in and say that I hate loving hate the navy today.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Howard Phillips posted:

I just wanted to check in and say that I hate loving hate the navy today.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The Navy Day Ball is coming up, sell those fund raising donuts folks!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

They should start a GoFundMe instead. Its always the same people that go anyway.

My friend just reenlisted for 4 more years because he got orders to the Reagan.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Lucius posted:

The Navy Day Ball is coming up, sell those fund raising donuts folks!

But I already have a pair??

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Indoc sucks. Happy field day!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

Indoc sucks. Happy field day!

Pensacola sucks, welcome to hell.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Welp, flying off the ship was an experience.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Poop inducing or just taint tingling?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
In 6 days I leave Ft Meade, and return sometime later??? Gonna be fun time in limbo. Here comes my beard again! woo

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

They should start a GoFundMe instead. Its always the same people that go anyway.

My friend just reenlisted for 4 more years because he got orders to the Reagan.

LOL. At least the CMC is one of the few that the program couldn't wreck.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
lmao, this story
http://wtkr.com/2015/09/23/sailors-accused-of-breaking-into-bank-while-drunk-defecating-on-floor/

quote:

People who work across the street from the bank say they arrived to work early Tuesday morning to see the two men being arrested by police. They say that one of the men was escorted out wearing only trash bags. Police confirm that one of the men defecated on the bank floor before police arrived.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 26, 2015

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

quote:

"Police say alcohol was a factor in the break-in."

I'm shocked.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Poop inducing or just taint tingling?

Neither but you face the rear and if your seatbelt isn't fully tightened you will get gut punched by the buckle so I guess it could be vomit inducing.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ah yes the old "squeeze the raccoon until it bites your balls off" trick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's loving amazing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wait what

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Don't act like you've never had a brilliant idea while drunk involving small furry animals.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope he gets lat-moved to the Raiders/MARSOC he sounds like a real forward thinker who can solve battlefield emergencies with adaptability and gumption. Godbless :patriot:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Please let this be real.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

This one is definitely real.

quote:

USS SKIPJACK

June 11, 1942

From: Commanding Officer

To: Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island, California
Via: Commander Submarines, Southwest Pacific

Subject: Toilet Paper
Reference: (a) USS HOLLAND (5148) USS SKIPJACK req. 70-42 of 30 July 1941.
(b) SO NYMI Canceled invoice No. 272836

Enclosure: (1) Copy of cancelled Invoice (2) Sample of material requested.

1. This vessel submitted a requisition for 150 rolls of toilet paper on July 30, 1941, to USS HOLLAND. The material was ordered by HOLLAND from the Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island, for delivery to USS SKIPJACK.

2. The Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island, on November 26, 1941, cancelled Mare Island Invoice No. 272836 with the stamped notation "Cancelled---cannot identify." This cancelled invoice was received by SKIPJACK on June 10, 1942.

3. During the 11 ¾ months elapsing from the time of ordering the toilet paper and the present date, the SKIPJACK personnel, despite their best efforts to await delivery of subject material, have been unable to wait on numerous occasions, and the situation is now quite acute, especially during depth charge attack by the "back-stabbers."

4. Enclosure (2) is a sample of the desired material provided for the information of the Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island. The Commanding Officer, USS SKIPJACK cannot help but wonder what is being used in Mare Island in place of this unidentifiable material, once well known to this command.

5. SKIPJACK personnel during this period have become accustomed to use of "ersatz," i.e., the vast amount of incoming non-essential paper work, and in so doing feel that the wish of the Bureau of Ships for the reduction of paper work is being complied with, thus effectively killing two birds with one stone.

6. It is believed by this command that the stamped notation "cannot identify" was possible error, and that this is simply a case of shortage of strategic war material, the SKIPJACK probably being low on the priority list.

7. In order to cooperate in our war effort at a small local sacrifice, the SKIPJACK desires no further action be taken until the end of the current war, which has created a situation aptly described as "war is hell."

J.W. Coe

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's the absolute best "You loving idiot" message I've ever read.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Doing basic planning for my 22 months left.

Is there any way that I would be able to complete business school applications while on deployment?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Doing basic planning for my 22 months left.

Is there any way that I would be able to complete business school applications while on deployment?

Make sure you have taken the GMAT before heading out. They would work with you to either waive an interview or let you schedule it when/if you have a liberty port. Everything, including recommendation, is done online so short of permanent river city you should be fine. Just make sure you have the test taken is my advice.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Submit your applications in the first round and you'll have a leg up. I did my interviews via Skype and frankly they're a lot more advantageous to you. Set something up in the background that is interesting. In my case I had my crossing the line certificates that are framed on my wall - perfect leaping off point as you regale them about a time honored tradition.

If you're deployed for your interviews make sure they know that. Once the applications are submitted they usually try to knock those out within a two week window. That might be impossible for you to do, and you really don't want to conduct the interview over a satellite phone. Explain that you can't discuss your schedule but set the first possible in port date with them and skype from some awesome hotel patio overlooking some far off land. If there's an issue they'll need a way to reach you - which is usually via the CV you'll submit. So you'll want to make sure you're CV has the best contact info for you and that they know the unique limitations.

Where are you thinking of going?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Boon posted:

Submit your applications in the first round and you'll have a leg up. I did my interviews via Skype and frankly they're a lot more advantageous to you. Set something up in the background that is interesting. In my case I had my crossing the line certificates that are framed on my wall - perfect leaping off point as you regale them about a time honored tradition.

But have you ever done the DirWalk?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did they get the Sealab guy to do the voice of Uncle Sam in the Uncle Sam OPSEC NKO training? It sounds like the sealab guy.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Did they get the Sealab guy to do the voice of Uncle Sam in the Uncle Sam OPSEC NKO training? It sounds like the sealab guy.

The one who died in 2003?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Did they get the Sealab guy to do the voice of Uncle Sam in the Uncle Sam OPSEC NKO training? It sounds like the sealab guy.

Mad Dragon posted:

The one who died in 2003?

Knowing what we know, certainly possible. Man I hate those jerks in Pod 6.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mad Dragon posted:

The one who died in 2003?

Oh yeah huh. I guess it couldn't be him. It sure sounds like him though.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Made it to Pensacola in one piece, gently caress that was a lovely trip. If you ever fly with pets, take extra caution to make sure the idiots handling your pets know what the gently caress they are doing. Also, boots are the best because they literally tremble in fear at the sight of a first class. (I still hate boots)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Null Integer posted:

Made it to Pensacola in one piece, gently caress that was a lovely trip. If you ever fly with pets, take extra caution to make sure the idiots handling your pets know what the gently caress they are doing. Also, boots are the best because they literally tremble in fear at the sight of a first class. (I still hate boots)

Most of the classes are taught by seconds so it's understandable.

[...]

Applying to a couple of reach tier 1 schools HBS, Stanford, Sloan, and Kellogg. My safer bets are UVA Darden, Georgetown, UT Austin, and William and Mary. Also applying international for INSEAD but this one I can complete post deployment for their January start.

My undergrad GPA is a decent 3.8 in engineering. Haven't taken the GMAT but it's going to be a challenge prepping for it while doing workups. Also a minority, which is why I think I have a decent shot and plenty of leadership/unique experiences being in the Navy.

  • Locked thread