Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Velthice posted:

nah it's still bad, especially now with it's endgame, it's worse than ever

Did you get kicked from an Alex party or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

well it's the least bad mmo atm.
the least bad mmo right now is diablo 3, sorry

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Did you get kicked from an Alex party or something?

Nah, just jealous he doesn't get to drive the gobwalker :smug:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Wonder Turbine posted:

Nah, just jealous he doesn't get to drive the gobwalker :smug:

if I was driving we'd be stuck at whatever wave the bombs start spawning because I'd be trying to make it breakdance in the corner

but seriously, back at verranicus, xiv has some real deal problems right now, from accessibility of expansion content to the tuning of alex savage. you can pretend that it's fine and there's no problems if you want, but when like 95% of the playerbase actually agrees that there's some problems, then guess what? there just might be some problems there

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Velthice posted:

if I was driving we'd be stuck at whatever wave the bombs start spawning because I'd be trying to make it breakdance in the corner

but seriously, back at verranicus, xiv has some real deal problems right now, from accessibility of expansion content to the tuning of alex savage. you can pretend that it's fine and there's no problems if you want, but when like 95% of the playerbase actually agrees that there's some problems, then guess what? there just might be some problems there

feels good, man

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
aren't savages supposed to be super hard

back when i played those were just challenge modes for sadbrained idiots who take raiding seriously and awarded nothing but useless titles

did they put actual rewards into them now?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

RottenK posted:

aren't savages supposed to be super hard

back when i played those were just challenge modes for sadbrained idiots who take raiding seriously and awarded nothing but useless titles

did they put actual rewards into them now?

yea they are. the problem is they took out the normal raid difficulty, so there's just facreroll easy that gives out gear worse than the gear you can get with the currency from running endgame dungeons, and then there's super hard, slam your dick in a door forever content with no in between. savage does give out the best gear now, but only like a handful (<100) people can even beat it, so now there's lots of people taking breaks, or just outright quitting because there's nothing for the weekend warrior to do

basically they pulled a wildstar and said, here's our super hard raid that only 1% of people can clear, and there's nothing else to do if you don't want to do that so gg

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Velthice posted:

I personally don't see a problem with requiring people to do the base game content before they can access the expansion. If you're new to the game, the content is all new to you so there's no reason to rush. As for Savage stuff, I think it's fine where it stands and I don't even do raiding stuff. I did A1-3 and have yet to try 4 and even normal felt challenging enough for me.

EDIT: Also there are people taking breaks and "quitting" because that's how MMOs work now. There's always a lull before a new patch. It's not some sign that the game is dying or anything. Devs can never pump out enough content to please people.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Velthice posted:

yea they are. the problem is they took out the normal raid difficulty, so there's just facreroll easy that gives out gear worse than the gear you can get with the currency from running endgame dungeons, and then there's super hard, slam your dick in a door forever content with no in between. savage does give out the best gear now, but only like a handful (<100) people can even beat it, so now there's lots of people taking breaks, or just outright quitting because there's nothing for the weekend warrior to do

basically they pulled a wildstar and said, here's our super hard raid that only 1% of people can clear, and there's nothing else to do if you don't want to do that so gg

i honestly wouldn't see much of an issue with this if not for that part about putting good drops in there

but i'm racist against raiders so my opinion is biased

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

I personally don't see a problem with requiring people to do the base game content before they can access the expansion. If you're new to the game, the content is all new to you so there's no reason to rush. As for Savage stuff, I think it's fine where it stands and I don't even do raiding stuff. I did A1-3 and have yet to try 4 and even normal felt challenging enough for me.

EDIT: Also there are people taking breaks and "quitting" because that's how MMOs work now. There's always a lull before a new patch. It's not some sign that the game is dying or anything. Devs can never pump out enough content to please people.

this isn't a case of, not enough content, this is a case of people looking at the content, going "this is loving stupid" and then quitting, or throwing themselves at it until they burn out and still make no progress. A1S is breaking all the laid back groups that used to have no problem chipping away at coil, and A3S is mopping up the rest that get through. but nah you're right, slamming your dick in a door is cool and good, not that i've tried it myself of course

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

ffxiv defense squad, we're under fire in the wildstar thread and need air support and reinforcement, do you copy

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Velthice posted:

this isn't a case of, not enough content, this is a case of people looking at the content, going "this is loving stupid" and then quitting, or throwing themselves at it until they burn out and still make no progress. A1S is breaking all the laid back groups that used to have no problem chipping away at coil, and A3S is mopping up the rest that get through. but nah you're right, slamming your dick in a door is cool and good, not that i've tried it myself of course

This is exactly right. My group is on A3 right now, and basically every single other group I knew that was trying Alexander has broken on A1. There's absolutely no middle ground. Alexander normal was clearable on release in duty finder which was great. But if you're a mid tier group there's almost nothing for you to do. A lot of those stall out really fast on A1 and then there's nothing else for them to do. Clearing Alexander normal for months isn't going to be satisfying, and the recent live letter hasn't offered them much either. The game really isn't in that healthy of a place right now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I guess I'm biased because I haven't seriously raided since WOTLK. Wouldn't say I'm part of an FFXIV Defense Force, though. It's a good game and I don't personally agree with most of the complaints, but people are free to like and dislike what they want.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RottenK posted:

i honestly wouldn't see much of an issue with this if not for that part about putting good drops in there

but i'm racist against raiders so my opinion is biased

I think its like 10 illvls higher than what you could get from stone currency. Once the next patch hits they'll be same ilvl gear you could get from doing 24 man content thats probably a faceroll.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I guess I'm biased because I haven't seriously raided since WOTLK. Wouldn't say I'm part of an FFXIV Defense Force, though. It's a good game and I don't personally agree with most of the complaints, but people are free to like and dislike what they want.

you say that, yet still wanted to post about how wrong his opinion was, interesting

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

you say that, yet still wanted to post about how wrong his opinion was, interesting

Saying something like "FFXIV is a lovely game" is a dumb thing to say. Explaining why you feel that way is different.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The tuning in savage is like if half of hfc was easy as gently caress then the second half is all archimonde mythic difficulty. They need to do 6 bosses so they can have a ramp up in difficulty instead of going straight up a cliff after the second boss. It also doesn't help they love pass the buff mechanics and their net code is poo poo so half the time it doesn't pass.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Saying something like "FFXIV is a lovely game" is a dumb thing to say. Explaining why you feel that way is different.

It's not dumb when it's right.

:boom:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

It's not dumb when it's right.

:boom:

Where did the bad game touch you that you're so butthurt over it?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Verranicus posted:

:allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

It is dumb though

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is wildstar f2l going to be lovely dumb 40 man raids still or did they realize how lovely it is

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Eonwe posted:

Is wildstar f2l going to be lovely dumb 40 man raids still or did they realize how lovely it is

They ditched 40m content a few months back. Because they realized they only had 39 active players.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How many players in a dungeon now

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

It's probably going to be the same premise, unless ncsoft went behind everyone's backs and fired literally all of the lead developers and replaced them so there was no trace of grog left.

Also did I miss the window to play smite, I downloaded it and did the tutorial and it's p cool but stanley is never playing it when I'm on

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Eonwe posted:

How many players in a dungeon now

None.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

It's probably going to be the same premise, unless ncsoft went behind everyone's backs and fired literally all of the lead developers and replaced them so there was no trace of grog left.

Also did I miss the window to play smite, I downloaded it and did the tutorial and it's p cool but stanley is never playing it when I'm on

Let me know and we'll play tomorrow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
But for real are they gonna be like 5 man groups or what

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
good to see the elephant return

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Eonwe posted:

But for real are they gonna be like 5 man groups or what

they cut raids down to 20 people and i dont think they changed groups for dungeons at all but they redistributed them across a more even level spread and added a few more early on to teach people mechanics better or something

they redistributed a lot of endgame content throughout the whole level progression from what i understand, so theres more to do while you level and less unnecessary endgame story content

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone have a guest pass for this floating around? I kinda wanna see what the game is like before the influx of F2P people.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Or you could wait an extra week for the game to be dead again.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Verranicus posted:

Anyone have a guest pass for this floating around? I kinda wanna see what the game is like before the influx of F2P people.

Here's a synopsis:
  • empty

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
It goes F2P the 29th. Wait exactly 1 week after that, maybe less, and explore the ghost town to your heart's content and shut up about it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The F2P beta has had some people playing it, but the 'PLAYERS NEAR YOU' thing doesn't really say how far away those people are; it may be zone wide, it may be sub-zone only; I goofed around one night when there were 15 people 'nearby.'

Whether or not that was the whole zone or just near the quest hub determines whether or not that's sad.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

John Dyne posted:

The F2P beta has had some people playing it, but the 'PLAYERS NEAR YOU' thing doesn't really say how far away those people are; it may be zone wide, it may be sub-zone only; I goofed around one night when there were 15 people 'nearby.'

Whether or not that was the whole zone or just near the quest hub determines whether or not that's sad.

It's a radius around you, not the whole zone. Beta participation has picked up a bit this past week or so.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have the 29th marked on my calendar as "huge waste of time" and I'm getting anxious. Can't wait

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

well it's the least bad mmo atm.

This is the only metric for MMOs. A logarithmic scale of badness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kagon posted:

This is exactly right. My group is on A3 right now, and basically every single other group I knew that was trying Alexander has broken on A1. There's absolutely no middle ground. Alexander normal was clearable on release in duty finder which was great. But if you're a mid tier group there's almost nothing for you to do. A lot of those stall out really fast on A1 and then there's nothing else for them to do. Clearing Alexander normal for months isn't going to be satisfying, and the recent live letter hasn't offered them much either. The game really isn't in that healthy of a place right now.

I'd also argue that the class changes they made for the expansion are moronic pursuit of complexity for complexitiy's sake. At least that more than anything killed the game. Dumb poo poo like Enochian, Wanderer's Minuet changing how blm and brd play and then loving adding back positionals to ninja when ninja was good because it didn't have that bullshit. The fact that the current end game is a mess doesn't help but I think they made some fundamentally wrong decisions in how they changed dps classes. Healers and tanks got off fairly well, bloated skillbars aside.

• Locked thread