Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cable posted:

When is hunter 2 being released? I've always wanted to take a look at hunter since reckoning was my favorite owod line, but I feel I should wait for the second version.

it's up after mage and changeling so not for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Blockhouse posted:

it's up after mage and changeling so not for a while

After Mage, Promethean, and Changeling.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I legit completely forgot about Promethean

I'm a bad person

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's okay, Promethean is the Eeyore of WoD lines. It just wants you to know it doesn't blame you and thanks for remembering.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Promethean - The greatest RPG that you will never play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No, that was Wraith.

:smith:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Promethean is Wraith for the nWoD

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gilok posted:

Promethean is Wraith for the nWoD

Crossover when?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

...And that reminds me I never got to run Orpheus, either. I'm going to write some emails and make that happen!

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
As someone who knows very little/next to nothing about Changeling: the Lost, does the game feature trolls like in a lot of changeling myth? I know there are hobgoblins and obviously the True Fae, but please tell me I can encounter these cute guys in a session.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Captain Sheepy posted:

As someone who knows very little/next to nothing about Changeling: the Lost, does the game feature trolls like in a lot of changeling myth? I know there are hobgoblins and obviously the True Fae, but please tell me I can encounter these cute guys in a session.

Short answer: Yes, absolutely.

Long answer: With Changeling Second Edition coming out soon, the nature of Seemings and Kiths (the two things that broadly determine what "kind" of faerie you are) is changing slightly, but both are quite capable of making a variety of changelings that fit the Scandinavian troll archetype. Second Edition will make it even easier, since there are fewer (read: no) restrictions on how you combine Seeming and Kith.

Also, the term "hobgoblin" in Lost doesn't imply a specific kind of creature; it's a catch-all term for "faerie creature that is not a changeling or a True Fae," so if you want your trolls to not be people who were abducted, transformed, and escaped, Lost has you covered there, too.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Sheepy posted:

Those could be PCs or they could be any number of hedge creatures, or potentially even both.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Captain Sheepy posted:

Yeah, that looks about right. It doesn't even differ that much in style from the illustrations in the Changeling books, except for being more adorable.

If you want your trolls to behave as befits how cute these guys look, you're probably either looking at a changeling Ogre (or a different seeming with an appropriately trollish kith in 2e) who's a gentle giant type, a former human kidnapped to Faerie, rendered great and lumbering by his time there, but mindful and protective of the local freehold and neighborhood; or you're looking at some nonviolent but mischievous hobs, which are the miscellaneous lesser fae creatures that wander the periphery between Earth and Faerie. Some changelings make deals with local hobs and offer favors in exchange for helping mind their safe places in the fae periphery. Sometimes hobs come to the edge of the human world and set up big temporary bazaars where they barter weird stuff like dreams or jars containing moments. These guys look like they might be tending a stall at a goblin market like that.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
drat, that's really neat! I should really check C:tL out some time then! I just wasn't sure because I've never seen them referred to by name, but the creativity of playing one or adding them in as a hob creature sounds just as rad!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Changelings can be shaped by their Keepers to fit just about any story. In my game, I use them as NPCs with two major motifs - graffiti figures and American Forteana - but Keepers can follow just about any motif.

The main thing to keep in mind is that all Changelings are human beings warped into new shapes, rather than born as faeries. They may well choose to identify with their new shape as a way of coping, but they're still very human inside. They may even reject the role the Keeper intended for them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Captain Sheepy posted:

drat, that's really neat! I should really check C:tL out some time then! I just wasn't sure because I've never seen them referred to by name, but the creativity of playing one or adding them in as a hob creature sounds just as rad!

Keep in mind the the second edition of Changeling is going to be out... this year?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
How many mage cabals in a city are too many? I've drawn up a map and after exiting my mapping trance I feel like 45 is a lot of cabals. Just coming up with 44 names afterwards was kind of tricky.

I mean, on the plus side one already got wiped out in the first session, so more like 44 now.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How large a city are we talking about, and how many people per cabal?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The city is Edinburgh, so not large, though when we discussed where we'd set our game beforehand we all agreed that the general aesthetic would benefit from "Americaning it up a notch" to include skyscrapers and poo poo. So I dunno, like 2 million?

I'm thinking one or two cabals approaching 10 people, the rest probably average about 4, 4.5

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Prison Warden posted:

How many mage cabals in a city are too many? I've drawn up a map and after exiting my mapping trance I feel like 45 is a lot of cabals. Just coming up with 44 names afterwards was kind of tricky.

I mean, on the plus side one already got wiped out in the first session, so more like 44 now.
Good god, I can barely come up with 10 NPCs for a game, how in the hell did you create 45 cabals? :stare:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Yawgmoth posted:

Good god, I can barely come up with 10 NPCs for a game, how in the hell did you create 45 cabals? :stare:

It sounds like he's mapped out 45 cabals' territories, not created 45 cabals.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm running a colonial-era Vampire the Requiem game, and since the population is so small, there's only a handful of vampires per city at the start. I wrote a script to generate vampire stats and basic hooks (mask, dirge, touchstones etc) and just picked the best ones to turn into full NPCs until I had every NPC vampire in the city written up. It's given the game a cool sense of community to it, like living in a small town.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The "how many mages/vamps/demons are in a city" always comes up, and the answer is always the same. There's exactly as many Mages as you need in the city because any X amount of Mages per population is only beholden to the plot/game you're trying to run. If forty-five is the number of districts controlled by Mages, clearly you have forty-five cabals. Maybe that's a lot of Mages, but if you're playing the game for Magepolitics and Magebackstabbery, you'll want a large polity in which to work.

Don't bother coming up with names/concepts for all the cabals. Make a little list of interesting hooks for cabals, maybe like three to five each session, but don't assign them to a specific district. When your players ask what cable is in district X, then you look at the list and answer: "Oh this is the Perfunctory Cabal, they don't give a flying gently caress about anything as long as everyone leaves them alone to watch their MageTVs with their MageTV dinners."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The discounted cheap PoD version of M20 still cost me 40 bucks shipped, ended up being really expensive for a table copy that may or may not even see use.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I've spent years now designing the city my games take place in. I have a file box full of different NPCs for almost each splat type (I'm lacking everything after 2011 I think)

I almost never get a chance to run WoD. :smith: Maybe I'll make my group run it as a Halloween special.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I always go with "enough vampires/mages so that you can host them all at a company-style dinner where everyone kind of knows everyone, and some weirdos just never show up".

I think the most I ever did was like, one or two cabals per order (not necessarily single-order cabals, but whichever had the majority) and then it was assumed that there was a bunch of smaller cabals that didn't really matter to the plot so much, they were just faces in the crowd.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Yawgmoth posted:

The cabal part is easy, really. Though the individual NPCs might take some doing. But yeah, I've not come up with 45. I wouldn't nail down all the "slots" beforehand, I need room to plug in anything I might come up with later.

Verr posted:

Don't bother coming up with names/concepts for all the cabals. Make a little list of interesting hooks for cabals, maybe like three to five each session, but don't assign them to a specific district. When your players ask what cable is in district X, then you look at the list and answer: "Oh this is the Perfunctory Cabal, they don't give a flying gently caress about anything as long as everyone leaves them alone to watch their MageTVs with their MageTV dinners."

Yeah this is probably a good idea.

I was just wondering if it was maybe bordering on the ridiculous. One of the things I was thinking about exploring was the idea of... balkanisation I suppose. All the factions seem at first to be a solid unified thing, but upon closer inspection are fractured and opposed. From mages as a whole, to the Pentacle and Seers, the Diamond Orders and The Free Council, the Diamond orders themselves, down to cities and individual cabals. Edinburgh is pretty close to Glasgow, so the idea of the players visiting/encountering other mages from there is likely, so I thought a good point of comparison would be to show how a city, a bigger city even, is dangerous with more mages under open threat from Seers and Vampires and such, but equally with far less infighting and conflict. So maybe a large number of mostly unaligned actions would fit with that, is my thinking.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Prison Warden posted:

The cabal part is easy, really. Though the individual NPCs might take some doing. But yeah, I've not come up with 45. I wouldn't nail down all the "slots" beforehand, I need room to plug in anything I might come up with later.

I was just wondering if it was maybe bordering on the ridiculous. One of the things I was thinking about exploring was the idea of... balkanisation I suppose. All the factions seem at first to be a solid unified thing, but upon closer inspection are fractured and opposed. From mages as a whole, to the Pentacle and Seers, the Diamond Orders and The Free Council, the Diamond orders themselves, down to cities and individual cabals. Edinburgh is pretty close to Glasgow, so the idea of the players visiting/encountering other mages from there is likely, so I thought a good point of comparison would be to show how a city, a bigger city even, is dangerous with more mages under open threat from Seers and Vampires and such, but equally with far less infighting and conflict. So maybe a large number of mostly unaligned actions would fit with that, is my thinking.

My opinion is to have multiple centers/sources of power that don't easily counter one another- aka multiple cities - to have an easily balkanized civic boundary.

HOWEVER, I like the idea of each Arcana being its own Kosovo and having a scrabble of mages fighting to be Top Dawg.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This discussion made me go track down the map from the old Mage LARP I used to play. The idea was that Auckland (being the site where the original Supernal Ladder had been built, pre-fall) had more Mages than it should have done.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&msa=0&z=9&ie=UTF8&mid=zKJyUDPgDj7Q.kWQLXDid5Sbg

Edit: 12 Pentacle Cabals, 5 known Seer pylons, and a handful of Nephandi and Timori (because the STs decided that Abyssal Mages and semi-sane Banishers were going to be playable factions).

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 23, 2015

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Prison Warden posted:

At least in my own mage game, my London had 13 pentacle cabals in London proper, 2 satellite ones, 6 Seer pylons and 1 banisher cell, for a total of 87 mages not counting the PCs. I tried to give each one a shadow name, path, order, order role and legacy (if appropriate), as well as a one-sentence summary of what their deal was. That gave me more than enough to work with, although if your group is more interested in politics than mine turned out to be you might get more worth out of further effort.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Okay, im almost ready to start my HtV game. Just two more questions: Whats a good introductory hunt scenario type deal. And how do you find/track a werewolf?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The former heavily depends on the party makeup. The latter? Set up cameras and lay bait, monitoring the area is key. Figure out what the werewolf is after/here for and try and predict their behavior from there.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hostile V posted:

The former heavily depends on the party makeup. The latter? Set up cameras and lay bait, monitoring the area is key. Figure out what the werewolf is after/here for and try and predict their behavior from there.

But how do you identify one?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Look for signs of violence against people and animals. Tracking works great, especially in wet areas - footprints, signs of passage of something large and monstrous. Keep an eye out for aggression, especially around the full moon. Look for tells, assuming you can figure out which ones are bullshit and which aren't.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

DJ Dizzy posted:

Follow them, find out where they go after they transform.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

DJ Dizzy posted:

Check the length of their ring fingers. I'm almost 100% sure that's a real thing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Aversion to silver works too.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Check the length of their ring fingers. I'm almost 100% sure that's a real thing.

Yeah but you might wind up accidentally killing a bunch of bisexual men and lesbians, since there's is a peculiar (if weak) correlation between a longer ring finger than index and those things - and aggression. Are they a werewolf or are they just bisexual, aggressive and a bit odd?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm pretty sure bisexuals are invisible anyways, so the ring finger thing doesn't apply. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

DJ Dizzy posted:

If you see someone transform into a ravening wolf-beast, that's a good hint.