Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Damnit guys, stop talking about MSGV, I haven't played it yet, but I will eventually! I almost moused over some of those spoiler bars. :v:

Speaking of Metal Gear, after its success with Frostgrave, I'm looking forward to another Osprey game coming out that seems like its kinda Metal Gear styled. Black Ops.

I love that Osprey is getting into tabletop (war)games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Damnit guys, stop talking about MSGV, I haven't played it yet, but I will eventually! I almost moused over some of those spoiler bars. :v:

We should talk about the actual GotY then, Undertale.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ProfessorCirno posted:

We should talk about the actual GotY then, Undertale.

This post is truth. Undertale is incredible, MGSV and Splatoon don't even compare and they're both also incredible.

Go play Undertale if you haven't yet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I've got it installed, I just had more pressing things to do today like "a single load of laundry".

(:smith:)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about MGSV or Witcher 3. :(

I do have Splatoon, though. I just haven't played much lately because I've been chewing through Mad Max.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I do have Splatoon, though. I just haven't played much lately because I've been chewing through Mad Max.
I was really excited for Witcher 3 until I actually got it. I am very much not a fan of the level scaling.

And I don't own a Wii U so no Splatoon for me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nah, Witcher 3 holds no interest to me cause the first game never grabbed my attention. "But the second third game is so much better!" they tell me, ehhh :effort:.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly I do not care about MGSV at all and will never get it or play it, but I can recognize its a pretty big game a lot of people like.

I've also never played or cared about the Witcher series so. Solidarity there, friend.

There is absolutely no game that compares to Undertale though, it rules in a big way.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Everyone on tumblr I follow have been playing Undertale, only stopping to cry. So I'm looking forward to grabbing it!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've been playing Din's Curse a lot. I don't think I've bought a single 2015 released game yet.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I still greatly enjoy playing Skyrim and the Mass Effects.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

gnome7 posted:

Go play Undertale if you haven't yet.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

House Louse posted:

Paul Park wrote Forgotten Realms books? :what: That's just bizarre...

Everyone needs a paycheck. I haven't read the novel that author bio is from, but the amazon and goodreads 1 star reviews indicate that it's probably a lot better than most licensed fic.

quote:

This book was nearly impossible to read as the author seemed to think she was writing a book of poetry, not a fantasy novel. The plot was nearly non-existant, there was little-to-no action - basically the characters floundered in self doubt, mired in hate, for the entire book. I LOVE the Forgotten Realms books but this one...was burn worthy at best. Horrid. Read it at your own peril.

If you like poetry, perhaps you'll like it. Me? Not so much. Not at all, in fact.

quote:

The writing feels fractured, bordering on incoherence. This, in turn, makes it impossible for me to establish any connection to the characters.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
We Know The Devil is up there too, GotY wise.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'll care about MGS5 when there's a Chip & Ironicus LP of it.

Meanwhile, maybe I'll finish the opening chapter of the first Dragon Age someday!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tulpa posted:

Everyone needs a paycheck. I haven't read the novel that author bio is from, but the amazon and goodreads 1 star reviews indicate that it's probably a lot better than most licensed fic.

Yeah, even Alan Moore and Gene Wolfe wrote for Liavek, but Paul Park just seems a really weird writer for D&D. It's not the only franchise around. :shobon:

Serf
May 5, 2011

MGS5 is GOTY because I can sneak into a Soviet camp and steal every man, mounted gun, vehicle, and cargo container without anyone noticing. There's nothing quite like sneaking up behind a big drat tank and lifting it into the sky, thereby stealing every man inside.

Big Boss - Man Stealer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's the best game of this millennium even if it was unfinished due to the greed of the money gobbling pachinko building fucks at Konami and if you disagree you need to have your head shot off by powerful Stinger missiles.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's the best game of this millennium even if it was unfinished due to the greed of the money gobbling pachinko building fucks at Konami and if you disagree you need to have your head shot off by powerful Stinger missiles.

:agreed: except replace Stinger with M47. Or the off-brand in game equivalent, I guess.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Stinger is the most iconic weapon on the game... Even though they renamed it on TPP... Zuh?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I disagree, Undertale is basically a million times better and funnier. MGS5 ain't got poo poo on this.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I disagree, Undertale is basically a million times better and funnier. MGS5 ain't got poo poo on this.

Both things are fun, actually.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i cannot fathom a world where a jrpg, or a jrpg-inspired game, is the goty

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It will be next year, with either Persona 5 or FFXV. Hop in, Gamer!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Monster Hunter X is coming out in the west next year, and in its home nation this year, so GOTY is already taken for both those years unfortunately.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Countblanc posted:

Let me tell of you a time long, long ago, in the near mythic year of 1995, and a plucky little game called Chrono Trigger.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Monster Hunter X is coming out in the west next year, and in its home nation this year, so GOTY is already taken for both those years unfortunately.

That's the only reason I didn't include Fire Emblem Fates and Bravely Second either, as they are also contenders.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

look at all these fuckin bad opinion havers

the TRUE GOTY 2015-2016 is obviously Ittle Dew 2: Ittle Dew Harder

Serf
May 5, 2011

I haven't played Undertale yet, but after hearing all the good stuff about it I totally want to. Gonna have to wait until after I have a few weeks with Taken King, which is installing right now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ningyou posted:

look at all these fuckin bad opinion havers

the TRUE GOTY 2015-2016 is obviously Ittle Dew 2: Ittle Dew Harder

*clicks the radio button while reading this*

Ocelot: "That's a bad post... Don't bother reading it and fultoning it home... And don't try eating it either!"
Miller: "Cipher is definitely behind the bad posts, boss... *grunt* We have to destroy them to get back what we lost, to get revenge!"
Code Talker: "Diiid yooou knoooow my triiibe haaaas eleeeeveeen naaames for haaamburguer?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The concept of GOTY is frankly kind of stupid. Different games are good for different audiences, and gaming covers so many different audiences nowadays that it makes no sense to declare one game superior to everything else.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

paradoxGentleman posted:

The concept of GOTY is frankly kind of stupid. Different games are good for different audiences, and gaming covers so many different audiences nowadays that it makes no sense to declare one game superior to everything else.

wrong.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried to fit D&D 4E's monster design model into 3.x or Pathfinder? I've seen XP budget tables online but no codified role templates, etc.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

paradoxGentleman posted:

The concept of anything other than Ittle Dew 2: A Machine for Pigs being GOTY is frankly kind of stupid. Different games are good for different audiences, and gaming covers so many different audiences nowadays that it makes no sense to declare one non-Ittle Dew game superior to everything else. Quite simply, Ittle Dew.

fixed for u

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zephirum posted:

Has anyone tried to fit D&D 4E's monster design model into 3.x or Pathfinder? I've seen XP budget tables online but no codified role templates, etc.
The super secret tech way of making 3.5 monsters past like level 4 is this:

HD: PC's level x2
hp: 20 per HD. (edit: level ~12+ you might want to double this if your PCs actually spec for damage.)
Size: however big/small you want.
init: make it up.
saves: whatever the wizard's spellcasting mod is +10, -1 if they took spell focus and +/-3 depending on if it is/not beefy/fast/smart.
AC: highest PC attack bonus +8. touch AC should be about 5 less.
attack: whatever your tank's AC is -11. +/-3 depending on how scary the fight should be.
attacks: however many your full bab guy has, +/-1.
speed: fast enough.
special attacks/qualities: get creative, save DCs are whatever the highest PC save is in that category +9.
skills: who cares.
feats: if there's a feat you think is cool, it has that. Otherwise, who cares.
environment: right here, right now.
treasure: that thing one PC really wants, plus some gems and whatever for the others.

There, you now have infinite 3.5 D&D monsters. Your only limit is your imagination and ability to describe things.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 21, 2015

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, Witcher 3 holds no interest to me cause the first game never grabbed my attention. "But the second third game is so much better!" they tell me, ehhh :effort:.

The first Witcher is a game that gives you a conflict between a rag-tag group of freedom fighters trying to stop their races being genocided and a xenophobic religious order and then goes "there are no good or bad options, it's all shades of grey". gently caress the first Witcher.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Saguaro PI posted:

The first Witcher is a game that gives you a conflict between a rag-tag group of freedom fighters trying to stop their races being genocided and a xenophobic religious order and then goes "there are no good or bad options, it's all shades of grey". gently caress the first Witcher.

The xenophobes had the advantage of having Seigfried, an extremely friendly NPC only in it to hunt monsters as its face, whereas the freedom fighters had Yaevinn, who tries to rob a bank and all your dwarf friends advise keeping away from him. Then again, the former group was just a front for the actual villains of the story, while the latter are just one part of a bigger movement. The Scoie'tal get a better shake in the second game by having an elf leader who's willing to be friends with humans that aren't total shitters, and is on much better terms with your dwarf buddies.

Basically it's a group of baddies that has a nice guy who is treated as a useful idiot front and center, while the other side is less villainous in its aims but is led by a tool.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 22, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

The super secret tech way of making 3.5 monsters past like level 4 is this:

HD: PC's level x2
hp: 20 per HD. (edit: level ~12+ you might want to double this if your PCs actually spec for damage.)
Size: however big/small you want.
init: make it up.
saves: whatever the wizard's spellcasting mod is +10, -1 if they took spell focus and +/-3 depending on if it is/not beefy/fast/smart.
AC: highest PC attack bonus +8. touch AC should be about 5 less.
attack: whatever your tank's AC is -11. +/-3 depending on how scary the fight should be.
attacks: however many your full bab guy has, +/-1.
speed: fast enough.
special attacks/qualities: get creative, save DCs are whatever the highest PC save is in that category +9.
skills: who cares.
feats: if there's a feat you think is cool, it has that. Otherwise, who cares.
environment: right here, right now.
treasure: that thing one PC really wants, plus some gems and whatever for the others.

There, you now have infinite 3.5 D&D monsters. Your only limit is your imagination and ability to describe things.

I can follow everything else, but that seems like a LOT of HP. A level 2 monster would have 4 hit dice, then 20 HP per hit dice for 80 HP total?

EDIT: Also how about damage/hit?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 22, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can follow everything else, but that seems like a LOT of HP. A level 2 monster would have 4 hit dice, then 20 HP per hit dice for 80 HP total?

EDIT: Also how about damage/hit?
Reading that it says levels past 4 which I could see that being right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Saguaro PI posted:

I haven't played Witcher 1 (played Witcher 2 almost to completion) but I am midly curious why some people don't like shades of grey stories. I've run into a similar situation where some players detest Dark Sun because "it's too morally ambiguous" when really it's about the choices you make in a survival situation. Yet these same people have no problem with zombie games that should technically be the same thing: a survival story.

Shades of grey stories (if not written by a moron like Dragon Age 2) are more grounded in realism and that makes a story more compelling. The Last of Us is a great example of a morally ambiguous story done well. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 22, 2015

• Locked thread