Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I cannot get over how Lucas had his entire career fall into his lap despite his best efforts :psyduck:

Lucas had a lot of really good ideas. He also had a lot of really bad ideas. When this is combined with a sane person having veto power, the result is a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ducttape posted:

Lucas had a lot of really good ideas. He also had a lot of really bad ideas. When this is combined with a sane person having veto power, the result is a good movie.

It seemed like he didn't have a filter. I always leap to drug abuse or maybe mental illness but other than being daft and having a cheeseburger addiction he seems pretty well put together. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is it just an old legend, or did he really make American Graffiti on a dare from Francis Ford Coppola to just make a straight up reality-based film about young kids hanging out?

Because if so Coppola should give him more dares.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I believe that he made American Graffiti almost out of spite, to prove that he could make a stupid high school movie if he wanted.

One of the only people that he'd listen to was his wife, and it's not a coincidence that his post-divorce movies got worse.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I believe that he made American Graffiti almost out of spite, to prove that he could make a stupid high school movie if he wanted.

One of the only people that he'd listen to was his wife, and it's not a coincidence that his post-divorce movies got worse.

No, it was when Linda Ronstadt put him in a permanent funk.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The movie Locke pretty much starts with Tom Hardy sitting at a traffic lights. He indicates left but turns right. At the end of the movie, as he drives out of focus and the camera slowly pans away, he indicates right but turns left.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Predestination (2014) is chock full of little foreshadowing hints from the get-go, which makes it wonderful to re-watch in order to see what you missed before.

It's also a spectacular film to watch with your friends to see their reactions to the events that unfold. I recommended it to a buddy of mine who ended up renting it the other night and I just kept getting texts that read "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHAT"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jerusalem posted:

Is it just an old legend, or did he really make American Graffiti on a dare from Francis Ford Coppola to just make a straight up reality-based film about young kids hanging out?

Because if so Coppola should give him more dares.

I've heard Andrew W.K. basically made his entire career on a dare from Wolf Eyes, but that's probably a wild exaggeration.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Predestination (2014) is chock full of little foreshadowing hints from the get-go, which makes it wonderful to re-watch in order to see what you missed before.

It's also a spectacular film to watch with your friends to see their reactions to the events that unfold. I recommended it to a buddy of mine who ended up renting it the other night and I just kept getting texts that read "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHAT"

I watched this movie randomly not knowing what it was. I remember at the end of it thinking "well that was loving STUPID" but over the next few days, the more I thought about it, I liked it more. I wound up watching it again a couple weeks later and really enjoyed it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MindlessHavok posted:

I watched this movie randomly not knowing what it was. I remember at the end of it thinking "well that was loving STUPID" but over the next few days, the more I thought about it, I liked it more. I wound up watching it again a couple weeks later and really enjoyed it.

I loved it the first time but about halfway through I started thinking about the plot twist people were implying and how very very few characters there were and then it hit me and I was all "nooooo loving way".

Still really enjoyable and I look forward to watching it again, possibly with someone who doesn't have a clue about it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Everyone knows this scene from Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The kids get away because one of the raptors slips in the freezer after Tim runs in there, right? Then they lock him in and run away while the other raptor is still dazed from running headlong into a cabinet. But, why is the freezer sitting there open in the first place, with ice on the ground?

Earlier in the film, we see Hammond sitting in the dining room eating lots of ice cream . He says it's because it's all melting. The power was knocked out by Nedry, and everything, including the freezers, are off. Hammond went into the freezer, got ice cream, and left it open because it doesn't matter since the power's out. Everything is melting in the freezer, including all the ice.

After the power is turned on, the freezer restarts. All that melted ice is now water on the floor, which re-freezes. The door is still open from Hammond leaving it open, allowing Tim to run into it. The raptor slips on the ice that was allowed to melt and refreeze because of Hammond's action letting the freezer warm up faster than it would have if it was sealed.

Hammond leaving the door open allowed Tim and Lex to survive the kitchen, by giving Tim somewhere to run, and giving the raptor somewhere to slip. His thinking about ice cream saved his grandchildren.

One further than that, actually. Lex surviving the kitchen allows her to be able to be in the control center when the raptors attack again. This allows her to use the computer to lock all the doors. By locking the doors, Grant and Ellie survive. Hammond's desire for ice cream saves everybody.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Sep 23, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

The kids get away because one of the raptors slips in the freezer after Tim runs in there, right? Then they lock him in and run away while the other raptor is still dazed from running headlong into a cabinet. But, why is the freezer sitting there open in the first place, with ice on the ground?

Earlier in the film, we see Hammond sitting in the dining room eating lots of ice cream . He says it's because it's all melting. The power was knocked out by Nedry, and everything, including the freezers, are off. Hammond went into the freezer, got ice cream, and left it open because it doesn't matter since the power's out. Everything is melting in the freezer, including all the ice.

After the power is turned on, the freezer restarts. All that melted ice is now water on the floor, which re-freezes. The door is still open from Hammond leaving it open, allowing Tim to run into it. The raptor slips on the ice that was allowed to melt and refreeze because of Hammond's action letting the freezer warm up faster than it would have if it was sealed.

Hammond leaving the door open allowed Tim and Lex to survive the kitchen, by giving Tim somewhere to run, and giving the raptor somewhere to slip. His thinking about ice cream saved his grandchildren.

One further than that, actually. Lex surviving the kitchen allows her to be able to be in the control center when the raptors attack again. This allows her to use the computer to lock all the doors. By locking the doors, Grant and Ellie survive. Hammond's desire for ice cream saves everybody.

And to think book Hammond got his face ate up by compys.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MichiganCubbie posted:

Considering Spielberg didn't care whether there was a cliff on the other side of the T-Rex fence or a goat, I can't imagine he thought this much about it. The freezer door was open because he wanted it to be open. The raptor slipped because uh oh the freezer's slippery.

I love Jurassic Park as much as the next guy, but Spielberg wasn't setting an elaborate puzzle in which pieces were being set an hour of screentime before they came into play.

The seat-belt "life finds a way" bit I kind of buy though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm phoneposting so I can't find the map, but evidently the T-Rex paddock makes perfect sense the way it's designed. Like, we assume that the leftmost bit of it is ground that becomes a cliff, but it's really not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MisterBibs posted:

I'm phoneposting so I can't find the map, but evidently the T-Rex paddock makes perfect sense the way it's designed. Like, we assume that the leftmost bit of it is ground that becomes a cliff, but it's really not.

What, this map?

Yeah it doesn't work. I just rewatched the scene and the goat was right next to the car then the T-rex tosses the car through the fence at the same point.

Even if it did move a few feet forwards when the rex was spinning it there should be a wall immediately to their left when they were climbing down here:

Apparently the original script had the T-rex dragging the car along the road for some ways before tossing it through the fence but that scene was dropped for some reason.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When the power goes out at my house I leave the freezer open too because really, what is the point?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Your power temporarily going out at home and what Hammond was going through probably inspires different levels of "gently caress this."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can make it sound as fancy as you like but if thats true spielberg just said "how do they escape? what if Hammond left the freezer open and it's all slippy"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Professor Wayne posted:

Your power temporarily going out at home and what Hammond was going through probably inspires different levels of "gently caress this."

Also Decrepus probably doesn't have a walk-in freezer.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All the dead bodies should have been in the freezer and the movie just takes a turn into Texas chainsaw massacre levels

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What, this map?

Yeah it doesn't work. I just rewatched the scene and the goat was right next to the car then the T-rex tosses the car through the fence at the same point.

Even if it did move a few feet forwards when the rex was spinning it there should be a wall immediately to their left when they were climbing down here:

Apparently the original script had the T-rex dragging the car along the road for some ways before tossing it through the fence but that scene was dropped for some reason.

I think the intent was that the cliff was on the other side of the road but the way the set was made and the movie edited makes it all nonsensical.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember hearing the script supervisor talking about this and telling Spielberg it didn't make sense and his response was basically "too bad."

I respect that. He looked at the scene of the trex pushing the car down the road and decided they either couldn't do it with the technology they had or that it just didn't work and made a decision to put the pace and tension of the scene over concerns about whether it made sense spatially. It's a movie about making dinosaurs, issues like geography are less important than making a movie that crates feelings both of awe and terror.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds like it'd be a terror to shoot. You'd have to rig the jeep to be dragged through the mud, and you'd have to make the CGI convincing enough, because you know that animatronic Rex isn't going to convincingly move that jeep.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Die Laughing posted:

because you know that animatronic Rex isn't going to convincingly move that jeep.

You...you've watched Jurassic Park, right?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The animatronic T-Rex was stationary. They'd need to do something like have it on a moving platform and CGI away the platform and put in legs for it to drag the jeep, seems a bit out of reach at the time.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
That magic cliff has bothered me since I was 9 years old, irrespective of how great the rest of the movie is. Spielberg you lazy rear end, if a 9-year-old kid who loves dinosaurs can get jolted out of the movie because you couldn't solve a fundamental screenwriting problem, you have hosed up! I hope he feels bad about it, while he counts his millions of dollars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The animatronic T-Rex was stationary. They'd need to do something like have it on a moving platform and CGI away the platform and put in legs for it to drag the jeep, seems a bit out of reach at the time.

They could have done a lot of it in editing. There's a shot where the T-rex flips the car and stomps on it and starts chewing the tyre and then they cut to Tim's frightened face when he realises the car is being crushed and flooded with mud. The T-rex wasn't even in the shot at that point but they could have yanked the car sideways and it would have been perfectly clear what was happening. Cut to Grant's horrified face, maybe a line of dialogue (Ian: "Now where's he taking them?"), fill a little time while Grant scrambles for a road flare ... plenty of time for a T-rex to drag a car 15 feet down the road.

I'm guessing they were aware of the issue but just didn't have time/budget to address it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

(Ian: "Now where's she taking them?")

:colbert:

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Van Dis posted:

That magic cliff has bothered me since I was 9 years old, irrespective of how great the rest of the movie is. Spielberg you lazy rear end, if a 9-year-old kid who loves dinosaurs can get jolted out of the movie because you couldn't solve a fundamental screenwriting problem, you have hosed up! I hope he feels bad about it, while he counts his millions of dollars.

Yeah, no one who wasn't an autistic retard noticed or cared about this

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Yeah, no one who wasn't an autistic retard noticed or cared about this

Woah you want to ease up on the a-word there buddy??

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What's your problem with the word "about"?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Just watch yourself buddy because you're going aboot the right way for another 1812, OK pal?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Just watch yourself buddy because you're going aboot the right way for another 1812, OK pal?

I'm not your pal, friend.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Two things from Neighbors I noticed:

During a frat party, you can hear them playing the "game changer" song from Get Him To The Greek.

Zac Efron wears the same weed belt buckle that Danny McBride wears in Pineapple Express.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
As long as we are clearing the air, if no one was supposed to get out of the jeeps, why did they have those decorated rest areas?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Literally Kermit posted:

As long as we are clearing the air, if no one was supposed to get out of the jeeps, why did they have those decorated rest areas?
Dinosaurs need rest too man, don't be so narrow-minded.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Literally Kermit posted:

Weren't those stations for the employees?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

When kids need to use the bathroom, they're not going to wait for the tour to be over.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

They didn't want them getting out of the car on their beta version tour with a storm coming. I assume during normal tours, a bathroom/rest area to get out and sit and watch the t-rex come do stuff would make perfect sense. This was just a test run to try and get the park signed off on and they didn't want them to waste a bunch of time with the threat of something bad happening.