Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

divabot posted:

This is the one you need to watch. It's a cut-down version of one of Aurini's rants on race, with commentary. Find out who really caused the Holocaust!

(Doesn't link back to the original, which is annoying because it'd fit into the RationalWiki article wonderfully with the application of game to nieces.)

I've found the original! Ethno-Nationalism and the Metaphysics of Virtue. It's every bit as good as that title suggests. Seventeen minutes of untrammeled Aurini insight! I'd stick to the excerpt, which is four and a half minutes. Or none at all, none is good too. Left-wing Jews were actually responsible for the Holocaust, black nationalists cause single mothers, and slavery in the American south was the kindest slavery in history, and white culture deserves credit for that, dammit.

(I can't tell you how much my brain hates me for this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Going off meds while completely broke doesn't help your mental state any.

On the bright side one of the cards against humanity guys paid to ship the last of the books

No I mean ghost guy's tablet smashing rampage, but I guess that's probably driven by the same mental processes.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Can't ever take him seriously with that campy lisp

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I shouldn't be this happy seeing assholes cannibalize each other over reputation and ideological purity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Aurini and Vox Day are in a position where the more rationalist NrX and the insight wanker/"Post Rationalist" community don't actually like them, but they keep them around anyway as attack dogs.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Krowley posted:

Can't ever take him seriously with that campy lisp

TIL Aurini is out as actively bisexual. So he's overloading everyone's gaydar because he in fact is. As a degenerate pervert, I feel affronted by this. But then, ebola virus probably feels affronted that Aurini is DNA-based.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Aurini and Vox Day are in a position where the more rationalist NrX and the insight wanker/"Post Rationalist" community don't actually like them, but they keep them around anyway as attack dogs.

Even the Gamergaters and MRAs are sick of him. The neoreactionaries can't stand him any more either.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Talking about transhumanism, AI etc; does anyone have any idea who in the BBC news room it is who has a bee in their bonnet about AI? I've been seeing more and more articles about AI and automation on BBC News recently. It might also be a case of confirmation bias though...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
My guess is that it's as a tangent to concerns about structural unemployment due to automation. The transhumanist nutbars think of AI in way loftier terms than most computer scientists, economists or laypeople do. So when there's a news story that mentions AI, I would guess that it's more like, "they're gonna make a robot to take our jerrrrbs" rather than to usher in the World to Come.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Munin posted:

Talking about transhumanism, AI etc; does anyone have any idea who in the BBC news room it is who has a bee in their bonnet about AI? I've been seeing more and more articles about AI and automation on BBC News recently. It might also be a case of confirmation bias though...

Probably the same execs who saw Second Life as a thing they should pump a bunch of money into back in the day.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The AI fearmongering just reminds me of the bit in Gulliver's Travels where he goes to visit an island that is clearly populated by Less Wrongites.

Jonathan Swift posted:

Their houses are very ill built, the walls bevil, without one right angle in any apartment; and this defect arises from the contempt they bear to practical geometry, which they despise as vulgar and mechanic; those instructions they give being too refined for the intellects of their workmen, which occasions perpetual mistakes. And although they are dexterous enough upon a piece of paper, in the management of the rule, the pencil, and the divider, yet in the common actions and behaviour of life, I have not seen a more clumsy, awkward, and unhandy people, nor so slow and perplexed in their conceptions upon all other subjects, except those of mathematics and music. They are very bad reasoners, and vehemently given to opposition, unless when they happen to be of the right opinion, which is seldom their case. Imagination, fancy, and invention, they are wholly strangers to, nor have any words in their language, by which those ideas can be expressed; the whole compass of their thoughts and mind being shut up within the two forementioned sciences.

Most of them, and especially those who deal in the astronomical part, have great faith in judicial astrology, although they are ashamed to own it publicly. But what I chiefly admired, and thought altogether unaccountable, was the strong disposition I observed in them towards news and politics, perpetually inquiring into public affairs, giving their judgments in matters of state, and passionately disputing every inch of a party opinion. I have indeed observed the same disposition among most of the mathematicians I have known in Europe, although I could never discover the least analogy between the two sciences; unless those people suppose, that because the smallest circle has as many degrees as the largest, therefore the regulation and management of the world require no more abilities than the handling and turning of a globe; but I rather take this quality to spring from a very common infirmity of human nature, inclining us to be most curious and conceited in matters where we have least concern, and for which we are least adapted by study or nature.

These people are under continual disquietudes, never enjoying a minutes peace of mind; and their disturbances proceed from causes which very little affect the rest of mortals. Their apprehensions arise from several changes they dread in the celestial bodies: for instance, that the earth, by the continual approaches of the sun towards it, must, in course of time, be absorbed, or swallowed up; that the face of the sun, will, by degrees, be encrusted with its own effluvia, and give no more light to the world; that the earth very narrowly escaped a brush from the tail of the last comet, which would have infallibly reduced it to ashes; and that the next, which they have calculated for one-and-thirty years hence, will probably destroy us. For if, in its perihelion, it should approach within a certain degree of the sun (as by their calculations they have reason to dread) it will receive a degree of heat ten thousand times more intense than that of red hot glowing iron, and in its absence from the sun, carry a blazing tail ten hundred thousand and fourteen miles long, through which, if the earth should pass at the distance of one hundred thousand miles from the nucleus, or main body of the comet, it must in its passage be set on fire, and reduced to ashes: that the sun, daily spending its rays without any nutriment to supply them, will at last be wholly consumed and annihilated; which must be attended with the destruction of this earth, and of all the planets that receive their light from it.

They are so perpetually alarmed with the apprehensions of these, and the like impending dangers, that they can neither sleep quietly in their beds, nor have any relish for the common pleasures and amusements of life. When they meet an acquaintance in the morning, the first question is about the sun's health, how he looked at his setting and rising, and what hopes they have to avoid the stroke of the approaching comet. This conversation they are apt to run into with the same temper that boys discover in delighting to hear terrible stories of spirits and hobgoblins, which they greedily listen to, and dare not go to bed for fear.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
One of Anissimov's possible sockpuppets: https://twitter.com/MaoyuuZeta

----

And forgot to mention NRx conspiracy theories that Shanley was involved in Anissimov's suspension. Which is just :laffo:

Anissimov has done a good enough job getting himself suspended.

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Sep 20, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Who is this Anissimov idiot and why should I care?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

StandardVC10 posted:

Who is this Anissimov idiot and why should I care?

He is effectively the founder of this dumb movement we can't help but talk about

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

DarklyDreaming posted:

He is effectively the founder of this dumb movement we can't help but talk about

The "founder" that everyone, including NRx themselves, can't help but hate.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
was looking at some metal gear solid 1 cutscenes when I came to the realization Naomi would totally be DE irl :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Sep 20, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Relevant

https://youtu.be/-IEEdRS9YJc

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

"if you want more women and minority characters make them on your own!!! :downs:"

the more and more I see this, I start to realize this just a transparent defense

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Race Realists posted:

"if you want more women and minority characters make them on your own!!! :downs:"

the more and more I see this, I start to realize this just a transparent defense

I think its a fairly standard deflection/defense along the lines of :qqsay: "you can't art so you're not allowed to criticize art" honestly.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I think its a fairly standard deflection/defense along the lines of :qqsay: "you can't art so you're not allowed to criticize art" honestly.

ive seen that bullshit uttered by Not-Racists getting pissy at people questioning the lack of Non-Straight White Male representation in Superhero/Comic Book media

seems to be a common thing among nerd communities

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Whenever a woman does make a videogame starring a woman, these people piss themselves in anger and outrage.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Whenever a woman does make a videogame starring a woman, these people piss themselves in anger and outrage.

Except they're just arguing that the game is bad or not a game, cuz women don't do games well, because women. Either that, or the game has some SJW agenda of including diversity.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm pretty sure they made those same arguments when women tired to break into any sort of artistic endeavor stretching all the way back to when cave painting was the height of art.

Actually I'm pretty sure they make the same arguments when women make any sort of art in any sort of medium today. :negative:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Merdifex posted:

Except they're just arguing that the game is bad or not a game, cuz women don't do games well, because women. Either that, or the game has some SJW agenda of including diversity.

And the gaming media only reports on it because of cultural marxism/ because the editor wants to sleep with the developer/because the editor actually has once slept in the same hotel one of the developers slept in. So it's actually about ETHICS IN VIDEOGAMING JOURNALISM.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Klaus88 posted:

I'm pretty sure they made those same arguments when women tired to break into any sort of artistic endeavor stretching all the way back to when cave painting was the height of art.

Actually I'm pretty sure they make the same arguments when women make any sort of art in any sort of medium today. :negative:
I think this is actually something that'll only happen when masculine privilege is actually in danger.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Klaus88 posted:

Notable art critic Brian Sewell died yesterday.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

And the gaming media only reports on it because of cultural marxism/ because the editor wants to sleep with the developer/because the editor actually has once slept in the same hotel one of the developers slept in. So it's actually about ETHICS IN VIDEOGAMING JOURNALISM.

The game Gone Home got overwhelmingly positive critical reviews, so the talk page for its Wiki article is drenched in tears and urine. Their main argument is that the "reception" section is biased because Wikipedia only counts reviews from published reviewers and media sources, and not opinions from comment sections, web forums, Encyclopedia Dramatica, and gamers who haven't played it. That's cherry-picking, and Appeal to Authority (which is a logical fallacy).

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Syd Midnight posted:

The game Gone Home got overwhelmingly positive critical reviews, so the talk page for its Wiki article is drenched in tears and urine. Their main argument is that the "reception" section is biased because Wikipedia only counts reviews from published reviewers and media sources, and not opinions from comment sections, web forums, Encyclopedia Dramatica, and gamers who haven't played it. That's cherry-picking, and Appeal to Authority (which is a logical fallacy).

Gamers poo poo their pants over the gamergate article when wiki policy didn't allow articles from Reaxxion and KotakuInAction posts as sources, and the article documented in detail all the harassment gamergate has wrought.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

divabot posted:

TIL Aurini is out as actively bisexual. So he's overloading everyone's gaydar because he in fact is. As a degenerate pervert, I feel affronted by this. But then, ebola virus probably feels affronted that Aurini is DNA-based.

Even the Gamergaters and MRAs are sick of him. The neoreactionaries can't stand him any more either.

Ebola doesn't have dna, it's rna based.

Good metaphor, but I can't think of any suitably nasty dna viruses.

Edit: Herpes!

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Sep 20, 2015

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

divabot posted:

I finally get why people told me I need to pick a side.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Seth Rogen does battle on twitter with the Dadhumor Duck and magic cum dude https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/645638564101931009

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

Notable art critic Brian Sewell died yesterday.

I'd love to see the :biotruths: story on how there are obviously top-level female writers, but not composers and painters. I bet it's excitingly ad hoc and deliciously unfalsifiable.

Also one of my top 5 painters is a woman I guess I have poo poo taste :colbert:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cingulate posted:

I'd love to see the :biotruths: story on how there are obviously top-level female writers, but not composers and painters. I bet it's excitingly ad hoc and deliciously unfalsifiable.
Also one of my top 5 painters is a woman I guess I have poo poo taste :colbert:

There was a big post on Tumblr going around about this in classical music yesterday. I haven't checked the refs, but it feeds my SJW biases and that's what counts.

oh, here's my Aurini rant.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

There was a big post on Tumblr going around about this in classical music yesterday. I haven't checked the refs, but it feeds my SJW biases and that's what counts.

oh, here's my Aurini rant.

Hahaha holy poo poo

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

Hahaha holy poo poo

I always wanted to out-racist the racists as a debate technique.

"Shut up Slav, your blood is polluted with Mongolian barbarians. Your arguments for my race's supremacy are made suspect by your lowly origins. This is unsurprising as your people have always preferred venerating your betters to actual self improvement."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Anissimov bears the Tatar yoke, verily. He is a true son of the steppe.

but no, you'd be making a grave insult to Mongolian people if you tried to associate them with that shithead.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DEKH posted:

I always wanted to out-racist the racists as a debate technique.

"Shut up Slav, your blood is polluted with Mongolian barbarians. Your arguments for my race's supremacy are made suspect by your lowly origins. This is unsurprising as your people have always preferred venerating your betters to actual self improvement."

Then you'd just be getting an account on My Posting Career.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Then you'd just be getting an account on My Posting Career.

Nah, they're completely and genuinely serious at MPC.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SIGSEGV posted:

Nah, they're completely and genuinely serious at MPC.

I meant if you were serious, yeah.

quote:

During a coffee break, a discussion about whether whites of different ancestry could ever live together in an ethno-state erupted from one of the tables.

“I don’t think there is any hope of people from old stock German families from the South and the sons of Yankee lawyers from Massachusetts to live together in the same place without a dramatic reshaping of the culture,” Wesley Morganston, a 20-year-old with long brown hair and washed-out black jeans, argued with an older conference attendee.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I heard you guys like this kind of stuff:

This went down over the weekend. These dudes in my town have a coffee shop. In addition to brewing coffee they seem to be mens rights enthusiasts and PUA (pick-up artist). They also kept a blog and did podcasts about their sexual conquests. Welp, real life caught up with their secret online personas and poo poo hit the fan. It looks like they will be closing up shop soon based on how big of a mess this is causing.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/09/20/west-asheville-coffee-brewed-outrage/72536502/

Here you can see Reddit's "The Red Pill" community's responses to this specific story: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/3lnflx/psa_be_cautious_of_your_online_persona/

Now Jezebel caught wind of this: http://jezebel.com/asheville-coffee-shop-owners-secretly-ran-misogynistic-1732097139

Congrats Dudes you're famous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hahaha holy poo poo

Jesus, I thought Racial blood "science" died when hitler ate a bullet. guess not.

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Sep 21, 2015