Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
re: wireless mice and keyboard

Our service contracts exclude two things from coverage: unsupervised 3rd party fuckups and wireless mice/keyboards. Thats right, you call us out because MY MOUSE IS BEING FLAKY and all it needs is a new set of batteries then congrats you bought an hour of time for that.

re: employee sick days

I tell my guys for the love of Christ stay home if you're sick because if you come to work and get me sick I'll fire you out of annoyance. There is literally nothing so loving important you need to drag your sneezing, fevering, sweating, phlegm spewing rear end up to the office and infect the rest of us, and I sure as poo poo can't send you on service calls like that Typhoid Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sick days = vacation days here. So if you have some sinus problem where you can't breathe or think for a week, you're hosed. Better not take any vacation or get sick again!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Here we can wfh whenever we are sick. I asked for permission the first couple times and my boss said not to ask, just to let him know.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Here we can wfh whenever we are sick. I asked for permission the first couple times and my boss said not to ask, just to let him know.

Same here & our bosses encourage it when folks are sick. Especially after last spring when half the office got sick because 2 idiots decided they couldn't work from home because they didnt want to join a conference call on their cell :downs:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wish our CEO was sensible about things like that.

Instead, his belief is "I can't trust you to actually do your job unless you're at your desk", so WFH isn't on the table even for things like "the city of Dallas is literally demanding all non-emergency personnel stay off the loving roads due to ice and snow". :doh:

E: to preempt it, I know I need to :yotj:. Been working on it for a while, actually.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Who gives a gently caress what some other company uses that doesn't matter to us.

Congrats, you're getting bought out.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
We're allowed to WFH as needed (sickness, etc.) but there's definitely a cultural issue where I work. There are departments who by virtue of what they do and how they do it can't work from home, and apparently those people bitch and whine about how they can't work from home like "the lazy IT people upstairs."

No one mentions, of course, how the lazy IT people are salaried, or are up at 2 in the morning "working from home" on a project that has to be done outside of business hours. Or on a holiday. Or on a weekend when those other people are off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Sick days = vacation days here. So if you have some sinus problem where you can't breathe or think for a week, you're hosed. Better not take any vacation or get sick again!

Yeah, we just have one pool where I am currently, but generally I've been able to WFH if I'm sick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stubblyhead posted:

Congrats, you're getting bought out.

Never going to happen but that would be awesome if it did.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

It's doesn't appear to be illegal in the states. It would only be illegal if they didn't pay you the full day while being on salary if you worked any amount of time on the day in question.

I mean, to me this is the same thing as a company just coming up to you and saying, "That PTO that you are entitled to by the terms of your employment agreement? We're just reducing that by 1. Or you know what, we're just going to take all of it."

I realize I'm applying logic to legal matters. But "you must burn a PTO day and still work" does not sound like something that would fly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bob Morales posted:

Welp. The dumbest helpdesk ticket of all time came in today. It's only 9:05am on Monday and I'm going to get drunk. See ya!

Please remove the following icon from my desktop:

1. FortClient
2. Acrobat DC
3. eDrawings

Thank you,

Turd Ferguson | Project Coordinator
Ext: xxx

Attached was the following screenshot, including markup.

Just make this person local admin. Problem solved!

Also that picture is giving me flashbacks to when I worked at Software Etc. Don't put Dbase IV up on the high shelf; it might fall off in an earthquake and kill you! :ohdear:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Welp. The dumbest helpdesk ticket of all time came in today. It's only 9:05am on Monday and I'm going to get drunk. See ya!

1. FortClient
2. Acrobat DC
3. eDrawings

Thank you,

Holy lol @ that desktop.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I realize I'm applying logic to legal matters. But "you must burn a PTO day and still work" does not sound like something that would fly.

The policy doesn't require that you work on your sick day, just that if you are out sick you must burn a sickday even if you end up working a full day from home. So really the outcome of them enforcing the policy is that a bunch of people have changed their minds about picking their phones up on sick days. This enforcement of the policy came up after someone petitioned HR for their sick day back after someone phoned them for an emergency that took 8+ hours of work to deal with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Che Delilas posted:

I mean, to me this is the same thing as a company just coming up to you and saying, "That PTO that you are entitled to by the terms of your employment agreement? We're just reducing that by 1. Or you know what, we're just going to take all of it."

Things aren't always black and white even when it comes to pto, much less sick days. They aren't very well protected at all.

Saying that, I have no idea why someone would answer the phone to put out a fire on a sick day with an employer that is going to nickle and dime their sick time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

1. FortClient
2. Acrobat DC
3. eDrawings

Thank you,

Please tell me you deleted the icons, and then hit "Arrange by Name" on the way out. Bonus points if you reversed the image so that the shelves were on the right-hand side.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just remove the icons but after you set a screenshot of the existing desktop as the desktop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mimecast is melting down. :argh:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

My department has a similar policy... except it's "if you're sick, take a sick day. No, you can't just stay home and work, you must use a sick day. Yes, you must burn a sick day even if you're called to help dig out an emergency."

Basically our policy encourages people to come in when they are sick but don't feel like complete poo poo.

*turns off phone*

Problem solved. I'm sick. gently caress off.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My company allows us to wfh 2 days every week, usually it's scheduled, but the boss will let us wfh if we're sick with contagious viruses but still feel fine enough to do stuff.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

We're allowed to WFH as needed (sickness, etc.) but there's definitely a cultural issue where I work. There are departments who by virtue of what they do and how they do it can't work from home, and apparently those people bitch and whine about how they can't work from home like "the lazy IT people upstairs."

No one mentions, of course, how the lazy IT people are salaried, or are up at 2 in the morning "working from home" on a project that has to be done outside of business hours. Or on a holiday. Or on a weekend when those other people are off.

I've started e-mailing my boss everything I do.

Yes, my boss trusts me to work, and yes, my boss knows exactly what I do anyway, but it's good for us in the future when our bosses boss asks "What use is this person I swear they don't do anything?" Goes back to her e-mails and bam!

You'd be surprised how often this happens with my company.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 21, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Pissing me off: Microsoft ClearingHouse support. loving hell.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I never actually used it, but this strongly reminds me of the screenshots I saw in PC Magazine of Microsoft Bob.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Someone posted in SHSC sometime ago IKEA computer wallpaper to serve a similar purpose, kinda funky.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 22, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dick Trauma posted:

Aaaayuuup.

Been asked a few times "what our options are."

We have one, ride it out, that's pretty much it.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Dick Trauma posted:

[me, to IT director] We're on O365. Why do we route through Mimecast?
[IT Dir] Dogfood.
[me] of course.

3 hours later...

IT Dir posted:

In light of the Mimecast outage which has now been going for more than 2.5 hours we have bypassed them completely for our own email. This may take some time to take effect due to DNS propagation.

Yeah, thought so.

Meanwhile client calls are just now starting to come in from people asking what's going on after they've gotten some postmaster delay notifications, so hope they enjoyed their quiet Monday.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I switched back to our regular SMTP sending connector and since people can send email they don't seem to mind that the incoming stream is almost completely choked off. All Mimecast has had to say all frickin' day is "HEY SEEING SOME LATENCY CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES!" over and over.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Is that at all common with mimecast? It's on my list to migrate to sometime soon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In the seven months I've been here we haven't had issues. Their web based admin interface is absolutely atrocious but the uptime has been good. Spam blocking has been good enough that I haven't had any complaints from management.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

In the seven months I've been here we haven't had issues. Their web based admin interface is absolutely atrocious but the uptime has been good. Spam blocking has been good enough that I haven't had any complaints from management.

This is the first outage I've had with them in nearly 4 years.

And their interface is very poorly laid out, but if you can find what you are looking for it works, so I give it a better ranking than atrocious.

I hope it gets resolved soon, because I don't really have a fallback. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, we've been on them for over 2 years and this is the first outage.

One of our users got hit with a SPAM bomb a year or so back that would have melted our exchange server and I can tell you we probably would have been down far longer than this outage to deal with that one, so it's all relative.

Not to mention all the phishing attempts and viruses that the service has blocked. It sucks when something is down and you can't do anything about it, but at the same time I can guarantee you we would have had more productivity lost in the past two years without the service due to other reasons.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FISHMANPET posted:

But like, if users need to be their on the weekend, and they're that stupid, why wouldn't you just have someone onsite on the weekends?

I know right? Especially since it's healthcare and every little thing is a dire EMERGENCY :siren:.

But nah, just make skooma roll out of bed two mornings in a row behind some bullshit.

Bob Morales posted:

1. FortClient
2. Acrobat DC
3. eDrawings

Thank you,

I like this! Reminds me of the Packard Bell Navigator.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like the Mimecast portal :shrug:

My view on their service may be clouded somewhat because they buy the drinks when we meet with them, but I still think it's a good product.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems as though things have improved somewhat. They say they've identified the issue and are mitigating it and are processing backlog. We're seeing a little more reliable mail delivery, but outbound queue is only send one message every few minutes with the rest getting deferred with various timeout messages.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

skooma512 posted:

I know right? Especially since it's healthcare and every little thing is a dire EMERGENCY :siren:.

But nah, just make skooma roll out of bed two mornings in a row behind some bullshit.

I like this! Reminds me of the Packard Bell Navigator.

Haha, I only just now noticed the My Computer icon on the desk and the recycle bin 'sitting on the floor'. That'd be adorable if it weren't for the dumb ticket.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Oh my god this is adorable. I couldn't possibly get mad at the person who submitted that ticket, it'd be like getting mad at an adorable puppy who just pooped in your shoe. :buddy: :allears:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That wallpaper and icon layout looks like something you'd find pre loaded on a cheap PC from the late 90s.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

President Ark posted:

Oh my god this is adorable. I couldn't possibly get mad at the person who submitted that ticket, it'd be like getting mad at an adorable puppy who just pooped in your shoe. :buddy: :allears:

If that user was really serious about organization they'd get out the true power tool:

TABWORKS!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

loving goddamn gently caress. Working with an hourly client that I really love (edit: because they listen to my recommendations generally) but only deal with every few months, and I just migrated them to Exchange 2013 (they're consistently behind one version, I installed Exchange 2010 just when 2013 had come out), and now have to edit the backups. Forgot they were on Backup Exsucks 2012 and just how absolutely horrible a program it is. I want to delete the jobs backing up the old mail server. Not remove the server from Backup Exec, because of course if they need to restore then Backup Exec needs to know the thing exists and what its job history was. I just want to delete the active jobs.

So get this poo poo - I go into view jobs, but what's this, the delete choice is grayed out when I right click the job. Not having the patience to gently caress around with this pile of poo poo because even the brief 30 seconds interaction with it is reminding me why we moved all our clients to Veeam, I hit Google. First result:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/delete-job-option-grayed-out-be-2012

:psyduck:
:catstare:
:psyduck:

That's right folks, whether you view your jobs in tree or list view naturally affects what choices you can implement on those jobs, and this is a cool and good example of great UI. That is, if great UI means your users want to kill you.

WTF. I'd gently suggested to the admin there we migrate to Veeam, but I think I'm going to make it a bit more forceful (especially noting that 50-70% of the job history is "job failed", not for the same job every time because that's the magic of Backup Exec - it's like the worst loving roulette in the world besides Russian where "the ball lands on a spot" stands for "a job actually succeeded for once").

Edit2: let it be thought otherwise, I am also mournful for the death of the once-great program since I did in fact use the last Veritas version 11.5 or 12 or whatever it was and it was great. Symantec: Not Even Once.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potato Alley posted:

Edit2: let it be thought otherwise, I am also mournful for the death of the once-great program since I did in fact use the last Veritas version 11.5 or 12 or whatever it was and it was great. Symantec: Not Even Once.

Every product Symantec has managed to lay it's greasy tentacles on has turned into poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Then what would happen if they bought Retrospect? :froggonk:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

"Skeuomorphism was a mistake." ~ Steve Jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair