Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Irving 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school: 'So you tried to make a bomb?'

quote:

Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

If they actually charge him, the EFF and others are going to have a loving field day.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car.

At least they didn't shoot the kid.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

karlor posted:

Back in college I did a semester-long study of megachurches for a class on the study of religion (we got to choose which religious tradition to research). As part of my research I attended several services at Cornerstone Church in San Antonio (Pastor John Hagee : Televangelist who uses the volunteer labor of his congregation to sell his books from which he keeps all the profits). One of the sermons I sat through was titled "Vote the Bible", and wouldn't you know it, Jesus would have voted straight party Republican (increase defense spending, cut welfare programs, etc.).

Isn't this grounds for losing their tax-exempt status?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

Hahaha, yeah sure.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

I've been tweeting MacArthur High School for the past hour asking them to advise me on what I should do since I found a clock in my living room this morning. As of a few minutes ago they have protected their twitter account. I regret nothing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bubbacub posted:

In a 5-4 decision...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ComposerGuy posted:

I've been tweeting MacArthur High School for the past hour asking them to advise me on what I should do since I found a clock in my living room this morning. As of a few minutes ago they have protected their twitter account. I regret nothing.

Well done.

I also hope this incident doesn't deter him from building affordable mech-suits that make the user immortal in the future.

e;
Irving TX schools and police: Apologize to Ahmed Mohamed for criminalizing science.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 16, 2015

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

ComposerGuy posted:

:golfclap:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ComposerGuy posted:

The Facebook page is amazing too.

https://www.facebook.com/MacArthur-High-School-Irving-ISD-1382426035322080/timeline/

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

I've always wondered what sort of sinking feeling of dread comes across you when you're the person that operates the school's social media accounts and you wake up one day to discover that your boss has completely cocked up everything forever.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Not getting a great report card, LOL.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

QwertyAsher posted:

I've always wondered what sort of sinking feeling of dread comes across you when you're the person that operates the school's social media accounts and you wake up one day to discover that your boss has completely cocked up everything forever.

I had a friend who managed a lot of the social media for Whole Foods back when the company's CEO went and shot his mouth off in the Obamacare debates. She was basically shoveling poo poo for the next month.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Irving was a boom-town suburb in the 1950s, and now it's part of that weird crust of old, tired suburbs between rejuvenated central Dallas and the glittering new stuff up north and in Arlington. Hell, even Oak Cliff has been experiencing a relative renaissance (as far as I know; I grew up around Dallas but I've only been back a couple times in the last 25 years).

When I went to school in Irving in the 70s (at Irving, not MacArthur), it was a pretty ordinary dumpy suburb, but not really depressed or anything. I mean, it was depressing, but not much better or worse than anywhere else. Now the demographics are way different, and all the Irving public high schools have serious academic problems, and I think all are majority-minority.

The (literally) international condemnation of the stupidity would be more satisfying if I thought that there were any influential people involved with enough of a clue to understand how monumentally stupid they've made themselves appear. (Also, can it really be possible that somebody's never seen what a digital clock looks like when you take the cover off?)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just found out that my city Corpus Christi had a "All Lives Matter" march. Way to miss the point, guys.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So after the BlackLivesMatter/BlueLivesMatter showdown protest at the capital, protestors decided to walk out into I-35 and stop traffic.

http://kxan.com/2015/09/19/protesters-shut-down-i-35-saturday-afternoon/

quote:

AUSTIN (KXAN) — 3:45 p.m.- According to Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo, the Austin Police Department and Department of Public Safety six arrests have been made in connection to the group of protesters that marched onto I-35.

All individuals have been charged with Failure to Obey a Lawful Order and Pedestrians on a Roadway. One individual was also charged with Simple Assault after throwing a water bottle at an Austin Police Commander.

There have been no injuries reported at this time.

The southbound lanes of I-35 near downtown Austin were blocked off today after protesters marched onto the freeway.

A little after 1 p.m. protesters walked onto the freeway, causing the Austin Police Department to form a barricade to stop traffic.

According to the Austin Police Department the protesters were only on the freeway for ten minutes before leaving. No arrests were made at the scene.

On Saturday Black Lives Matter and Police Lives Matter groups met at the Texas State Capitol.

Police say one of those groups left the capitol and headed to I-35 where they entered the freeway. They cannot confirm which group it was.

The southbound lanes of I-35 have been reopened at this time.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
People say shutting down traffic just makes people angry, but that can be good I think. Basically the tactic is to be so annoying that people eventually cave just so you stop bothering them. The problem is making it clear what they're supposed to cave in to.

Anyways, a friend of mine who works for a left-wing nonprof in the city hates it how all the activist groups have their rallies at the capitol. "Unless you have 10,000 people or more do to it somewhere else." Because optics. The huge building and vast lawn makes you look small and insignificant. Especially on the weekends when there's nobody in the building. The protesters stage a die-in and the only people watching are other protesters. If they hadn't blocked I-35 no one would have even heard there was a protest going on.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 20, 2015

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Omi-Polari posted:

People say shutting down traffic just makes people angry, but that can be good I think. Basically the tactic is to be so annoying that people eventually cave just so you stop bothering them. The problem is making it clear what they're supposed to cave in to.

Anyways, a friend of mine who works for a left-wing nonprof in the city hates it how all the activist groups have their rallies at the capitol. "Unless you have 10,000 people or more do to it somewhere else." Because optics. The huge building and vast lawn makes you look small and insignificant. Especially on the weekends when there's nobody in the building. The protesters stage a die-in and the only people watching are other protesters. If they hadn't blocked I-35 no one would have even heard there was a protest going on.

Good point about the capital grounds. Then again, it's nice for actual Austin residents that protests mostly keep to the capital grounds, because it keeps a lot of bullshit out of our way. I can't imagine how annoying it would be to deal with Open Carry protests on South Congress.

As for shutting down traffic, doing it one time for a total of about ten minutes is definitely an ineffective way to go. Or rather, it would be ineffective if the goal was to achieve some goal other than getting a really awesome image of yourself protesting to set as your Facebook profile pic.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

blackguy32 posted:

Just found out that my city Corpus Christi had a "All Lives Matter" march. Way to miss the point, guys.

But but but, #BlackLivesMatters have been seen chanting about killing cops so they're a hate group/black supremacist group! :qqsay:

Burn this entire miserable country to the ground and start again.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

e_angst posted:

So after the BlackLivesMatter/BlueLivesMatter showdown protest at the capital, protestors decided to walk out into I-35 and stop traffic.

http://kxan.com/2015/09/19/protesters-shut-down-i-35-saturday-afternoon/

How did anyone tell that I35 South was shut down and not business as usual?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

e_angst posted:

As for shutting down traffic, doing it one time for a total of about ten minutes is definitely an ineffective way to go. Or rather, it would be ineffective if the goal was to achieve some goal other than getting a really awesome image of yourself protesting to set as your Facebook profile pic.

It seems like stopping traffic has generated more attention than the protests would have received otherwise, sounds like it was an effective tactic.

Lote posted:

How did anyone tell that I35 South was shut down and not business as usual?

:boom:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just another bad idea from the Gov.
https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/645743702464303104

@GregAbbott_TX
Bittersweet victory for @Cowboys. Win game but lose @TonyRomo. Maybe Dallas will sign @TimTebow. #NFL.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OK, stupid question in coming. How do you copy/paste tweets here? I see them all the time but can't figure out how.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

radical meme posted:

OK, stupid question in coming. How do you copy/paste tweets here? I see them all the time but can't figure out how.

You screenshot it and host the image.

Embedding tweets sounds like a good idea but there's probably some reason why it isn't implemented here.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

You screenshot it and host the image.

Embedding tweets sounds like a good idea but there's probably some reason why it isn't implemented here.
Another option is to post a link to the tweet and then quote the text of the tweet in quote tags (and link any images).

There's no embedding tweets in SA because that would require lots of coding changes, and messing around with SA's/radium's coding tends to cause things to break, sometimes very badly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

radical meme posted:

The easiest way is to post a screen shot of the tweet on imgur.com. Then post it here using the option for BBCode as a large thumbnail.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Just another bad idea from the Gov.
https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/645743702464303104

@GregAbbott_TX
Bittersweet victory for @Cowboys. Win game but lose @TonyRomo. Maybe Dallas will sign @TimTebow. #NFL.

Put Abbot + cowboys owners + tony romo into a rocket heading for the sun.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Very monstrous people are gaining power.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/26/mccarty-helm-ne-tarrant-tea-party-flexes-its-muscl/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is depressing, makes me fear for those counties going full red when national elections start.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

As someone who's a student in Denton, I'm so...so depressed.

And voter registration has been going around campus and everything and then I see this and it's just like...ugh.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So apparently 4chan is spreading a rumor that there's gonna be a shooting at UT Austin today. UTPD is (rightfully) saying it isn't a credible thread, but people are kinda freaking out.

Their first Facebook post on it.

quote:

UTPD is aware of a potentially threatening post that is making the rounds on social media. We are working closely with other agencies. No credible threat at this time. We will alert the community when a threat is determined to be credible. Please report any activity that makes you feel unsafe by dialing 911. Be Safe, Longhorns

Of course, that post kinda upset some people who decided UTPD wasn't taking things seriously, so then they posted this...

quote:

Your safety will always be our first concern. Please know we will text you should you need to be notified of an urgent credible threat. Go here to see the communication tools we use during an emergency. Students, faculty and staff can also find the link to sign up for text alerts on this page: http://emergency.utexas.edu/preparedness/communication-tools

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hope it won't happen, but I think students were hoping the complaints would maybe lead to the cops trying to push the poo poo in on those racist channer fucks, but we can't even expect police to abuse their power correctly for the actual safety of people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

Hope it won't happen, but I think students were hoping the complaints would maybe lead to the cops trying to push the poo poo in on those racist channer fucks, but we can't even expect police to abuse their power correctly for the actual safety of people.

How would UTPD punish 4chan

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How would UTPD punish 4chan

I'm pretty sure inciting panic is a crime, even if it's only attempted. Isn't that what they tried to stick Ahmed Mohamed with?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

e_angst posted:

So apparently 4chan is spreading a rumor that there's gonna be a shooting at UT Austin today. UTPD is (rightfully) saying it isn't a credible thread, but people are kinda freaking out.

Of course, that post kinda upset some people who decided UTPD wasn't taking things seriously, so then they posted this...

We were getting the same response at Texas State University today. The 4chan post said "if you're near Austin," so I guess a bunch of campuses around the area were on alert. Had a few parents and grandparents checking in on the Texas State facebook page who had no idea what was going on.

At least we got a few more students to sign up for the text alerts.... even if they do wake us up sometimes as 2am (ugh).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e_angst posted:

Oh, that's what that post was about. I saw some friends sharing it but wasn't quite in the loop about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No shootings then I guess. Did any of you college goers notice any increased security on campus today?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Svanja posted:

We were getting the same response at Texas State University today. The 4chan post said "if you're near Austin," so I guess a bunch of campuses around the area were on alert. Had a few parents and grandparents checking in on the Texas State facebook page who had no idea what was going on.

At least we got a few more students to sign up for the text alerts.... even if they do wake us up sometimes as 2am (ugh).

Every single text is "a black male did something weird. it's handled."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

No shootings then I guess. Did any of you college goers notice any increased security on campus today?

I was in the library at UT and the loving idiot cops had three squad cars, two ambulances, and two firetrucks go driving through campus with their sirens on so that they could do their DWI crash simulation drill. Everyone was saying WTF and getting scared.