Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Alt history US where the Mexican Empire and the Brazilian Empire and the US are constantly fighting bush wars to control the lovely rump states in Central and South America would probably be pretty fun for a HoI game.

I think the thing is that American Civil Wars have the best hook for alt histories of the New World. You can drop a "this led to a 2nd American Civil War" line into your bloated, self-indulgent world building and I as a dumb guy instantly get the meaning and import of this. I can probably guess the sides, the causes, and possible fallouts. I can even probably sense the personalities of the sides*. People get really wrapped up in plausibility as the sine qua non of alt-history, but when it comes to games I think you have to give a lot of weight to ease of assimilation and playability.

Things like a Mexican and/or Brazilian Empire would be better ways of approaching the Western hemisphere in a lot of respects, but I guess nothing calls out to me as "oh those dastardly Brazilians!" or "haha cool a French/Hapsburg Mexico!" when I hear ideas like that.

* obviously very helpful that I'm American yadda yadda, but thanks to the evils of American culture I'm a dumb idiot who only knows about America while foreigners know everything about America too, but better and with nicer accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If everyone gets marines and submarines why do only the British get supermarines? Makes you think

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

But American Civil Wars almost always result with "But the Union was too strong to break and eventually, the United States was United once more... :911:" BOOOOORING! Give me Soviet invasions of the West Coast or even the West Coast breaking off (and NOT civil warring) and doing it's own thing.

Besides the fact that no one can ever name those breakaway countries anymore more than "________ States of America". :geno:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Decrepus posted:

If everyone gets marines and submarines why do only the British get supermarines? Makes you think

The Germans get unterseeboots though :confused:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Besides the fact that no one can ever name those breakaway countries anymore more than "________ States of America". :geno:

Someone needs to read up on Crimson Skies

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Gort posted:

Someone needs to read up on Crimson Skies

Too bad no one who mods HoI has read Crimson Skies. :negative:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

But American Civil Wars almost always result with "But the Union was too strong to break and eventually, the United States was United once more... :911:" BOOOOORING! Give me Soviet invasions of the West Coast or even the West Coast breaking off (and NOT civil warring) and doing it's own thing.

I think in every alt-history civil war I've seen the Union does break. If someone does an alt-history where America doesn't then they're just giving the reader blue-balls.

I mean maybe it's more a symptom of the current worldview on America- that we're a heavily factionalized country just waiting for the right moment to pop off and split between the Trump States of America and the Sanders States of America and damnit Share if you Agree!! Like that's much easier for everyone to imagine than the weird world where Brazil was somehow also able to industrialize and grow from the 1850s-1930s at an impressive rate.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I think in every alt-history civil war I've seen the Union does break. If someone does an alt-history where America doesn't then they're just giving the reader blue-balls.

I mean maybe it's more a symptom of the current worldview on America- that we're a heavily factionalized country just waiting for the right moment to pop off and split between the Trump States of America and the Sanders States of America and damnit Share if you Agree!! Like that's much easier for everyone to imagine than the weird world where Brazil was somehow also able to industrialize and grow from the 1850s-1930s at an impressive rate.

If Emperor Pedro II survived the coup I believe it could have happened. Totally!! Or if they just didn't have a million coups/civil wars in a row pretty much up to the modern day. That goes for every country south of the US border really. Maybe I've just been playing too much EU4 lately but it doesn't feel that hard to imagine the three largest colonial states becoming European monarchies.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 20, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

If Emperor Pedro II survived the coup I believe it could have happened. Totally!! Or if they just didn't have a million coups/civil wars in a row pretty much up to the modern day. That goes for every country south of the US border really. Maybe I've just been playing too much EU4 lately but it doesn't feel that hard to imagine the three largest colonial states becoming European monarchies.

I think it's possible too, but it would take a lot of narrative in a video game to get people to that world. This is why I'm like the only person in the world I guess who doesn't really like KaiserReich. It takes a simple idea (Germany wins WWI) and throws so much additional speculation and narrative on to it and then once the game starts keeps spamming even more that at no point do you feel like you can casually get on top of the story.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think it's possible too, but it would take a lot of narrative in a video game to get people to that world. This is why I'm like the only person in the world I guess who doesn't really like KaiserReich. It takes a simple idea (Germany wins WWI) and throws so much additional speculation and narrative on to it and then once the game starts keeps spamming even more that at no point do you feel like you can casually get on top of the story.

I think people like that aspect because every other popular Paradox Alt-History scenario is really bare bones on the narrative. Kaiserreich has meat in a way that they don't. Still, it's a really complex beast and I don't know how you'd overcome that except by lots of experience and reading.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 20, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Too bad no one who mods HoI has read Crimson Skies. :negative:

I had a go of making a Crimson Skies mod for Darkest Hour once, but quickly realized the American portion of the map wasn't sufficient for a Balkanized US sort of scenario, in regards to victory points and ability to strategerize attacks and defense and the like. So then I picked up that E3 map mod with the bajillion extra provinces, which actually was quite good for a broken-apart US scenario and lead to me having fun breaking apart other countries, like having an independent Transylvania since that seemed to be in the spirit of Crimson Skies' pulp-adventure atmosphere and the like. Then I realized I'd have to rewrite all the AI files to reference the new map and all the new province IDs, and that'd I have to do that for every major country, and at that point I finally just gave up.

I got as far as making all the ministers, military leaders, tech teams and even unique Crimson Skies airplane stat cards, along with some starting narrative events to get ex-US countries colliding and start aligning with the allies, the axis or comintern, but when it came to writing the AI files I burned out so fast. :smith:

The files are still sitting on a harddrive somewhere, at least.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Maybe they'll come in handy for HoI 4. I started a "Democratic Weimar Germany survives" mod for HoI 2 ages and ages ago that I'm hoping to reincarnate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Helps that it's often easier to make things fall apart than build them up. Plus by the time America becomes independent, the stage had already been set for it to become a major player in a way that simply wasn't true for the rest of the Americas. The thing I always come back to when thinking of a block to American hegemony in the Americas is a surviving New France, bolstered by revolutionaries-turned-emigrants as a result of the Bourbon Restoration. France definitely had the potential to make parts of New France too populous for those places to be worth the bother of conquest, and then New France could siphon off part of the emigration that historically went to America, perhaps giving Mexico (and Latin America in general) more time to get their poo poo in order before America started loving them up again. That's very much a pre-America departure from history though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Helps that it's often easier to make things fall apart than build them up. Plus by the time America becomes independent, the stage had already been set for it to become a major player in a way that simply wasn't true for the rest of the Americas. The thing I always come back to when thinking of a block to American hegemony in the Americas is a surviving New France, bolstered by revolutionaries-turned-emigrants as a result of the Bourbon Restoration. France definitely had the potential to make parts of New France too populous for those places to be worth the bother of conquest, and then New France could siphon off part of the emigration that historically went to America, perhaps giving Mexico (and Latin America in general) more time to get their poo poo in order before America started loving them up again. That's very much a pre-America departure from history though.

French Monarchy evacuates to Lousiana a la Portugal instead of being executed would be plausible imo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

French Monarchy evacuates to Lousiana a la Portugal instead of being executed would be plausible imo
It would certainly have to be more built up by that point I think than it was historically, otherwise it doesn't seem particularly plausible that the French kings wouldn't just gently caress off to the court of some other European king until things could get back under control. It's not exactly like the king of Portugal fleeing his minor state to live in a colony that's about equal to the mother country. Plus just imagine telling the French king that he should flee the most magnificent court in Europe and go live in a swamp. Still, that would offer the possibility of a Revolutionary Canada vs. Absolutist Louisiana, with the US trapped in the middle, horrified at the politics on display, which would not be the worst thing.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

worth not[h]ing that at the time of the french revolution the spanish owned louisiana. the bourbons gave it to them in a secret treaty in 1762 and napoleon got it back in another secret treaty in 1800. of course for the bourbons to have chosen new orleans or st louis you'd probably have to send ten times as many permanent settlers there in the centuries beforehand anyway, or otherwise make it a place they wouldn't have been trying to unload on spain

the more natural colonial refuge, i think, for the bourbons would've been st-domingue, modern haiti, which wouldn't erupt in a slave revolt until the french revolution had gotten past the monarch-murdering phase, if i'm reading wikipedia right. that was the richest colony in the new world, i think, so presumably would've been the best of several bad options for the bourbons

so i see a more likely alt-history scenario as the bourbons becoming decadent monarchist proto-confederates ruling brutally over a nation that was 90% slave - but only if they could've managed to (brutally) suppress the slave revolt, of course. that's not a very morally righteous scenario but in a game where little pixelmen with red and black flags are slaughtered in their millions without a second thought i suppose it's not outside the pale

edit: although i suppose they would've headed back to paris in 1815 or whenever napoleon gets beaten in that scenario - but after a generation of slave-holding, how well would they have integrated back into metropolitan french society? might've been interesting. the portuguese court spent a generation in a slave-holding colony - i wonder if that was part of why dom pedro felt alienated from portugal after growing up in brazil, and ended up choosing the latter over the former? so the bourbons going to st-domingue would've been quite a direct parallel to the historic experience of the braganzas in brazil, i suspect

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 21, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Stellaris DD 1:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-1-the-vision.882808/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Paradox please add a CK2 event for the "carousing" focus for performing an obscene act on a dead pig

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Enjoy posted:

Paradox please add a CK2 event for the "carousing" focus for performing an obscene act on a dead pig

if you'd tell me that HIP has included that for years I'd believe you

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We can't have dinosaurs if you are only planning on covering the whole human timeline.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
False: Dinosaurs can be gained by time-travel, finding some kind of alien zoo, or cloning :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What made you guys decide on the symmetrical starts thing anyway? It seems to be pretty new ground for a Paradox game, and I am kinda worried about it. In most games unless the AI cheats like hell (e.g. Civ) the human player will always outperform them over time, whereas starting out with some AI in gently caress off huge empires already means you have interesting challenges by living in their shadow and stuff. In Stellaris if we start out equal and have the same tools for expansion, won't we nearly always meet up against the AI and find them weaker than us?

also "The galaxy is ancient and full of wonders." as your mission statement- a big part of having a lived in galaxy is to have established civilizations already there right? At least some of the time.

Thanks for doing these though, it's really nice to get to read real devs' approaches and responses rather than just stuff from PR teams. I'm really looking forward to the art direction DD too.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

b0lt posted:

The Silk Road mechanics are a little weird.

If you have a save/steps to reproduce I would love to get it/them

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I want a prehistoric/dinosaur grand strategy game. You could play as dinosaur tribes tussling for territory control and bullying dumb humans, or play as humans and try not to die from the cold. If you research look to the stars or let's build an underground bunker you could prevent your species from getting genocided. Or you could ignore that nerd poo poo and just become the top alpha male with largest variety of species in your harem and the biggest continental human farm. Sure your species would get wiped out but you had a good loving run eh.

Of course, if you did preserve your species you could convert your save to eu rome 2 ck2 and now all of sudden some of the nations are now ruled by dinosaur kings... :getin:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

False: Dinosaurs can be gained by time-travel, finding some kind of alien zoo, or cloning :colbert:

DEV PROMISE RIGHT HERE QUOTING FOR POSTERITY

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Koramei posted:

What made you guys decide on the symmetrical starts thing anyway? It seems to be pretty new ground for a Paradox game, and I am kinda worried about it. In most games unless the AI cheats like hell (e.g. Civ) the human player will always outperform them over time, whereas starting out with some AI in gently caress off huge empires already means you have interesting challenges by living in their shadow and stuff. In Stellaris if we start out equal and have the same tools for expansion, won't we nearly always meet up against the AI and find them weaker than us?

also "The galaxy is ancient and full of wonders." as your mission statement- a big part of having a lived in galaxy is to have established civilizations already there right? At least some of the time.
Half the DD is about explaining this.

Hopefully confederations and then galactic disasters keep things interesting in the mid and late game.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Koramei posted:

Thanks for doing these though, it's really nice to get to read real devs' approaches and responses rather than just stuff from PR teams. I'm really looking forward to the art direction DD too.

Guessing that it's much harder to balance something like what you describe and they want to focus on other things.

Maybe material for an expansion though, would certainly be an interesting addition to the random galaxy generation if you may or may not bump into X number of older bigger empires (that may or may not be in decay).

A horrid realization sinks in that you are actually like one of those OPM North American native tribes in relation to the huge empire you just found.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anyone remember that Jurassic Park RTS? Chaos Island?

It was mostly poo poo. :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Koramei posted:

I'm not really the best person to answer these as I only moved over to Stellaris recently, plus there's a lot of stuff I can't talk about yet, but there are some mechanics we hope will prevent snowballing being as much of a thing as in other 4x type games.

We do have some established civilizations, they're just no longer very dynamic. The game mostly takes the view that races have a life cycle and tend to discover the stars, expand, and then either get killed off, change state somehow, or eventually decline and have their empire collapse. You'll be able to find older races who are still in that period of collapse and can interact with them in a few ways.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh that makes sense, thanks for the response.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

Now, as you may know, our ambition is to eventually cover the entire "human timeline" with our games...

So there is still hope for my paradox dream game: an "Ancient History" game ranging from the Peloponnesian War to the fall of Rome.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

The conclusion to be drawn is that galaxy wide extinctions (of space-faring races) happen on such a regular basis that the next group of species just on the cusp of becoming space-faring enter the scene just as the previous set left, putting them all on a roughly equal setting with no existing empires to go up against.

Darkrenown posted:

I'm not really the best person to answer these as I only moved over to Stellaris recently, plus there's a lot of stuff I can't talk about yet, but there are some mechanics we hope will prevent snowballing being as much of a thing as in other 4x type games.

We do have some established civilizations, they're just no longer very dynamic. The game mostly takes the view that races have a life cycle and tend to discover the stars, expand, and then either get killed off, change state somehow, or eventually decline and have their empire collapse. You'll be able to find older races who are still in that period of collapse and can interact with them in a few ways.
Please do not undermine me before I even post. Though I suppose the explanation still works, just with the addendum that some species manage to cling on, even if sent into terminal decline.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So there is still hope for my paradox dream game: an "Ancient History" game ranging from the Peloponnesian War to the fall of Rome.
Since they didn't mention history, they had better make a "Homo Universalis" game, featuring different species of humans or human-like apes vying for dominance of Earth.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 21, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Can you talk a little about starting systems? Do the established civs have pre-set home systems that encourage certain playstyles or is it all random? Will humanity start in Sol? Heck is there a pre-made template to ensure that home systems have some spread of resources available or is it possible to start in a 1 planet system?

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

This better be true dude. Don't gently caress with me man, I've had too many dinosaur-less games to add another to the list.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Can you talk a little about starting systems? Do the established civs have pre-set home systems that encourage certain playstyles or is it all random? Will humanity start in Sol? Heck is there a pre-made template to ensure that home systems have some spread of resources available or is it possible to start in a 1 planet system?

Humans (well, the default ones) start in a fixed Sol system, yes. There are some other pre-scripted starts, but most races* currently start in semi-randomised home systems. Semi because they have normalised resources, but they are not always laid out the same way.
* Remember there's not really fixed starting races, most non-player races are randomised each game.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Groogy posted:

If you have a save/steps to reproduce I would love to get it/them

I ran into this in a mod and cheated to see if it happens in vanilla too, but it's probably plausibly doable in an actual game, since hindus can raid. If one entrance of the silk road is being sieged or raided and the county after the other entrance is being sieged or raided, the unsieged start gets absurd income modifiers. (it's a lot funnier in after the end).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Since they didn't mention history, they had better make a "Homo Universalis" game, featuring different species of humans or human-like apes vying for dominance of Earth.

That would be awesome, really.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

b0lt posted:

I ran into this in a mod and cheated to see if it happens in vanilla too, but it's probably plausibly doable in an actual game, since hindus can raid. If one entrance of the silk road is being sieged or raided and the county after the other entrance is being sieged or raided, the unsieged start gets absurd income modifiers. (it's a lot funnier in after the end).

Well it shouldn't, I made it so if the route doesn't reach its end the value of the node plummets to basically nothing. So must be a bug or something special that makes it occur.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, being highly hyped for HoI 4 which is still a way from being released, I picked up a game as Germany in DH and I seem to be doing something wrong.

Invading Poland an Scandinavia went exemplary, but I'm pretty much up against a wall with France they have a huge army which they seem to be able to bring to reinforce Belgium and the Netherlands almost instantly and to reinforce their entire frontline with me in general. I have a decently sized mobile force of light armor and armor divisions (9 total) and 10 motorized divisions and a sizeable airforce, however it is somewhat overwhelmed by the entire commonwealth and france at the moment. However the cost I had to pay to get those divisions and the air force left most of my infantry outdated and they really lack the punch to do anything against the (modernized) Allied infantry divisions in anything but a defensive action, and without my infantry being able to hold up or contend with the French my mobile forces are left very vulnerable and eventually bogged down and cut off in most of my attempts so far.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can really do in this scenario to beat France before the year is up (my pre-Fall Gelb save is in late May 1940), or if I should start anew and if there is anything I can do to better modernize the bulk of my infantry (the upgrade costs quickly became very, very high).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Don't spend IC upgrading units unless you really have NOTHING else to do with it. More units will almost always trump better upgraded ones due to a number of combat mechanics.

• Locked thread