Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Buschmaki posted:

Ocelot uses that syringe to melt Huey's glasses, says this is metallic archaea that functions like powerful acid, and then sticks it in his leg saying, "I really hope your kegs don't melt"

They even show him repeatedly squirting acid from the syringe on the glasses and the chair to hammer home the fact that yup, that's acid. And yup, they're threatening to literally melt a dude's legs off if he doesn't tell them what they want.

And yeah, he does stick it in his legs. Huey has to keep holding his legs up in order to avoid the plunger being pressed and spewing acid all over his mechanical wheelchair legs and into his bloodstream. Legs which are mentioned to be literally bolted into his bones like some sort of retarded cyborg. So if he hadn't of talked he'd still have gotten a poo poo ton of acid working it's way straight through his actual flesh and blood legs.

Edit: Keep in mind that Huey is a cripple that can barely move that part of his body too. You can literally hear him whimpering and exerting himself to try and get the strength to get the gently caress away from the needle as they leave the room.

Maybe they should have hamfistedly panned the camera forwards and let it hover over the pilot for a bit longer when they showed what the metallic archaea does to your pilot during the Code Talker mission aftermath. Some of the gas hits him in the face after it eats through the windshield and for a few seconds you can see that it basically turned it into something out of that scene in Indiana Jones with the Nazis and the Ark of the Covenant.

If people don't get that you were playing a character that was steadily developing into a villain from the torture scenes then maybe that'd get it through their thick skulls.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah a major theme in the games is that being the lesser of two evils doesn't make you good.

And then it undermines that theme constantly by having you fight actual monsters who want to destroy the entire world. You're a demon Boss, how could you kill your own men...to prevent a global pandemic that could end life as we know it...you're not the Snake I remember...?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Buschmaki posted:

He killed a lot of people and enjoyed it.

If that's canon, then so is my sunlight anime gun rampage.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The main bad thing you do in MGSV is unrepentant warmongering, Miller even says in one of the Africa tapes, "Just another place suffering ethnic conflicts and proxy wars, sounds perfect for us to grow!"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Nail Rat posted:

If that's canon, then so is my sunlight anime gun rampage.

In MGS1 there are no nonlethal weapons and Snake kills shitloads of people, this is true in MG1 and 2 as well. In MGS2 he also shoots shitloads of Arsenal Tengu dudes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

In MGS1 there are no nonlethal weapons and Snake kills shitloads of people, this is true in MG1 and 2 as well. In MGS2 he also shoots shitloads of Arsenal Tengu dudes.

But my big boss ranks

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Would you let Ocelot cuck you

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Vengarr posted:

And then it undermines that theme constantly by having you fight actual monsters who want to destroy the entire world. You're a demon Boss, how could you kill your own men...to prevent a global pandemic that could end life as we know it...you're not the Snake I remember...?

*Carries a wounded child to a chopper while shepherding 5 other children, being pursued by an entire loving army the whole way*

b-but he doesn't donate his free time to Habitats for Humanity, truly he is just another shade of evil

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
No video game characters were harmed during the making of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - A Game by Hideo Kojima.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Solid Snake kills people and enjoys it but what makes him a good guy is that he realizes how hosed up that is and is willing to isolate himself or attempt suicide rather than continue hurting people. It just never works because the world keeps needing him.

Nail Rat posted:

Also Otacon secretly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions?) and who knows how many of his own very valuable hours building in street fighter moves to his anime robot, I wonder how he snuck that one past budget reviews. ArmsTech must've really been run hands-off.
Otacon's mom outright programmed the Patriots to love him, I imagine any red flags were quietly papered over by the AIs or if anybody objected to Hal's ideas a mysterious order from on high came down: "You leave that anime poo poo in or you're fired."

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Castor Poe posted:

No video game characters were harmed during the making of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - A Game by Hideo Kojima.

If you think Hideo Kojima didn't personally electrocute Stephanie Joosten during mo-cap for the torture scene, I can only laugh at your naivete

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

If you think Hideo Kojima didn't personally electrocute Stephanie Joosten during mo-cap for the torture scene, I can only laugh at your naivete

Knowing him he probably had her electrocute him.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Nakar posted:

Solid Snake kills people and enjoys it but what makes him a good guy is that he realizes how hosed up that is and is willing to isolate himself or attempt suicide rather than continue hurting people. It just never works because the world keeps needing him.

Otacon's mom outright programmed the Patriots to love him, I imagine any red flags were quietly papered over by the AIs or if anybody objected to Hal's ideas a mysterious order from on high came down: "You leave that anime poo poo in or you're fired."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nakar posted:

Rex was also a project that came about from a huge Pentagon black budget being freed up due to the Arsenal Ship project being cancelled. ArmsTech would have been getting blank cheques and no-one would have been paying that much attention to the end product.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Vengarr posted:

I'm confident Kojima was ashamed of his words & deeds at the end of the session.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
ITT we discover that some of the posters on SA are actually secretly anime loving AI's that don't understand the nuances of morality.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nuances of Morality?!

You're that ninja!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nail Rat posted:

Wait what bad thing did Solid Snake do, really. He's the closest thing to a classic "good guy" the entire series has.
Snake unquestionably follows the orders of anybody piped into his codec. He is the Patriot's foremost agent in MGS 1,2 and 4 and if not for a Big Boss fangirl and a 6 year old autistic girl, MGS4 would have ended in the same Patriot ruled status quo just like he helped make happen in 1 and 2.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's been awhile since I played MGS3 but wasn't the whole reason Shagohod was considered a threat because ICBM's didn't exist yet?

I mean yeah it's still stupid but an ICBM in an era before ICBM's proliferated would be kind of a big deal.

No, the soviet union had around 20 ICBMs in service at the time of the Cuban missile crisis(compared to United State's almost 200).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

*Carries a wounded child to a chopper while shepherding 5 other children, being pursued by an entire loving army the whole way*

b-but he doesn't donate his free time to Habitats for Humanity, truly he is just another shade of evil

You do know that someone can do good things and still be a pretty bad person, right? There are many infamous leaders worldwide who provisioned for welfare, taking care of orphans and helping the needy and also were complete shitlords.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Snake unquestionably follows the orders of anybody piped into his codec. He is the Patriot's foremost agent in MGS 1,2 and 4 and if not for a Big Boss fangirl and a 6 year old autistic girl, MGS4 would have ended in the same Patriot ruled status quo just like he helped make happen in 1 and 2.

Is SS really an agent of the Patriots in MGS2? Raiden obviously was, but SS? It's been a long time, but did I miss some retcon about Philanthropy being controlled by the Patriots?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Terminally Bored posted:

This thread is loving terrible.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snak posted:

Is SS really an agent of the Patriots in MGS2? Raiden obviously was, but SS? It's been a long time, but did I miss some retcon about Philanthropy being controlled by the Patriots?

Solidus was attempting to reveal the identities of the Patriots and then murder them, so yeah, Snake was totally helping out the Patriots by doing his thing. I don't know how explicitly they were assisting him, but he basically did them a.....solid.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You do know that someone can do good things and still be a pretty bad person, right? There are many infamous leaders worldwide who provisioned for welfare, taking care of orphans and helping the needy and also were complete shitlords.

No, you see if someone does something bad then you're completely justified in doing whatever horrible things you can imagine to him.

Ethics, hypocrisy, and human decency? What're those? *Leaves a syringe full of acid stuck in some sociopathic rear end in a top hat's leg just because I don't like him.*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Snak posted:

Otacon got the tips for the tanker and Big Shell from "the internet" aka the Patriots.

I think there's apocrypha somewhere that says besides those two specific story cases, Philanthropy was continuously fed intel on targets by the Patriots to control Metal Gear proliferation to enemies of the Patriots.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
come on guys. its peace day.

PEACE! <3

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

come on guys. its peace day.

PEACE! <3

Peace Day is still three days away...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Archonex posted:

No, you see if someone does something bad then you're completely justified in doing whatever horrible things you can imagine to him.

Ethics, hypocrisy, and human decency? What're those? *Leaves a syringe full of acid stuck in some sociopathic rear end in a top hat's leg just because I don't like him.*

It's a video game

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gently caress it then, commence development of nuclear weapons.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Snak posted:

Yup, Philanthropy are being secretly funded by the Patriots in order to keep the Metal Gears around the world in check. Otacon says that one of the twelve names in the data they get at the end of the game was one of their biggest donors.

e: beaten but I'll add that everything Snake does in the Plant chapter isn't part of the Patriots' plan - although the AI still manages to complete the test despite his interference.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 21, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Yup, Philanthropy are being secretly funded by the Patriots in order to keep the Metal Gears around the world in check. Otacon says that one of the twelve names in the data they get at the end of the game was one of their biggest donors.

Yeah that makes sense. God it's so depressing. MGS is arguably about how the more directly you attempt to fight against the status quo, the more the repercussions of your actions reinforce it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Snak posted:

Yeah that makes sense. God it's so depressing. MGS is arguably about how the more directly you attempt to fight against the status quo, the more the repercussions of your actions reinforce it.

It's also about how the things you put in motion quickly grow beyond your control. The Boss has a vision for the world and everyone fucks it up. Zero tries to instil his vision in AIs and they go wild. Big Boss has his own vision which Liquid tries to ape in MGS1 but just ends up ranting about chaos and honour.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also Skullface, obviously.

Hey Snake, check it out, I have this Sahelanthrop-OH gently caress poo poo WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

zedprime posted:

So of. But being part of the Patriot's plan was basically not letting society turn to poo poo overnight simply because you wanted to prove a point and not be under anyone's "control". That is the whole point of Snake, Sunny, and Otacon's role in MGS4 in that they weren't going to be sperglord accelerationists like Ocelot and Big Boss all in the name of opposing Zero.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Party Boat posted:

He said "one of our biggest contributors", I think it might have meant like someone who contributed to America in general (like a president or something) 100 years ago since Otacon said they were all dead for about 100 years.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

lets hang out posted:

It's a video game

That's what we're talking about, yeah. Good catch.

zedprime posted:

Otacon got the tips for the tanker and Big Shell from "the internet" aka the Patriots.

So did Otacon think 4chan was feeding him information about Big Shell or something? Because that's some scoop.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 21, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Archonex posted:

That's what we're talking about, yeah. Good catch.

So why are you posting over and over again about how people in this thread are 100% for torturing real life people

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

lovely Wizard posted:

He said "one of our biggest contributors", I think it might have meant like someone who contributed to America in general (like a president or something) 100 years ago since Otacon said they were all dead for about 100 years.

That information was fake.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

lets hang out posted:

So why are you posting over and over again about how people in this thread are 100% for torturing real life people

Because this thread is a gold mine of stupidity and fun.

Also because a few posters literally said that they didn't believe that a fictional character being tortured with getting acid injected into his veins was an indicator that the protagonist and his friends were bad people. And that it was okay because the character was a murderous rear end in a top hat. Which is too loving funny to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

blackguy32 posted:

That information was fake.

That actually makes it really funny - there was no reason for them to put the fake name of the Philanthropy contributor on there, but they did it anyway. The Patriots really are the Illuminati.

• Locked thread