Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

One day they'll figure out how to make itemization interesting. That day won't happen this expansion though.

This is a step in a way more interesting direction than I expected, though. We'll see how soulcrushing it is but in theory this means that you can pretty much pick your substats to your choosing almost to the same degree as you can with your relic weapon on all equipment if you roll the dice enough times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Obscurity posted:

So do DPS classes get a spike in the high 30s low 40s? I'm 41 and in Qarn was first time I had to full time Grit and I was still losing agro to the DPS a bunch of times. Unmend/Unleash/Provoke seemingly are not enough. The DRG in the group was definitely a 60, but not sure on the BLM. Either way I actually had to finally work hard to hold agro. It was good and bad. Run ended well, though.

Provoke itself just sets your threat on that target to be a piddly 1 point higher than the threat of whoever it was previously most pissed at. (In other words, it's a taunt.) If everything's already pissed at you, it does nothing. It's mostly useful for tank swaps, or for the odd occasion of "poo poo, I wasn't paying attention" and a DPS (or healer) pulls something off you. Very occasionally it can be useful for an extra long-range pull (Aurum Vale first room comes to mind).

If you're having trouble with threat otherwise, even with Grit (and, of course, Darkside and its lovely passive damage and therefore threat bonus) in place, check your weapon. Threat's a multiplier on damage and damage scales by far the most heavily with the weapon damage stat on your weapon. If you're still using that NQ sword from level 30 that you got from the DRK quest, that would easily explain it. Barring that, it's either general lack of strength (strength bonus points, strength accessories, and up to date left side - although this last one matters more for not being squishy) or something in your play style.

In Qarn you don't have the full DRK kit yet, so it's basically Unmend -> Unleash a bit -> Power Slash combo, using Blood Price and the Syphon Strike half-combo for MP restoration, and throwing around the occasional Scourge when threat's solid and the target will live long enough. If anything, threat should be easier at those levels because your only real damage combo is the threat combo and you're not getting tempted away with Souleater.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

FrancoFish posted:

http://ffxivhuntmarks.jinivus.com/

This one lets you type to search and gives map graphics with mob locations as well.

This rules and is exactly what I wanted out of the other tool, thank you! Maybe those seals will become useful again sometime in the future.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Vil posted:

If you're having trouble with threat otherwise, even with Grit (and, of course, Darkside and its lovely passive damage and therefore threat bonus) in place, check your weapon. Threat's a multiplier on damage and damage scales by far the most heavily with the weapon damage stat on your weapon. If you're still using that NQ sword from level 30 that you got from the DRK quest, that would easily explain it. Barring that, it's either general lack of strength (strength bonus points, strength accessories, and up to date left side - although this last one matters more for not being squishy) or something in your play style.

This is true at level 60 too, I was running Neverreap after just unlocking it and I could not hold aggro at all. Once I had enough tomestones for my Law weapon it was a non-issue.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Looks like someone released a guide to A4S, more interestingly to me is it has a video that shows quarantine loving finally attached to it :v:

http://angered.guildwork.com/forum/threads/55fdccd9002aa82d431f4f2b-alexander-gordias-savage-turn-4-the-manipulator-guide-by-angered

Purikura death robot punches and gives debuff stacks rapidly. Please look forward to it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ phase 5 :stonk:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Ignimbrite posted:

Jesus christ phase 5 :stonk:

Lasers + poo poo latency is the worst. Half the time, I'll see a teammate grab a laser and then suddenly move slightly over, causing the laser to go back onto the target so they eat two lasers and die. At least phase 5 is mostly just cheese.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Looks like someone released a guide to A4S, more interestingly to me is it has a video that shows quarantine loving finally attached to it :v:

http://angered.guildwork.com/forum/threads/55fdccd9002aa82d431f4f2b-alexander-gordias-savage-turn-4-the-manipulator-guide-by-angered

Purikura death robot punches and gives debuff stacks rapidly. Please look forward to it.

Carnage - Targets 1 random player with 5 lines 3 of which are live and 2 that are dud's, the live lines will hit the player targeted for 8k damage per line

Thats just mean.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

This is a step in a way more interesting direction than I expected, though.
no, this is them re-introducing the random drops of 2 out of 3 possible items from alex normal, only this time nothing useful comes out even more often

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Carnage - Targets 1 random player with 5 lines 3 of which are live and 2 that are dud's, the live lines will hit the player targeted for 8k damage per line

Thats just mean.

I love it. Can anyone think of any other mmo's using fakeout abilities like that?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Thyrork posted:

I love it. Can anyone think of any other mmo's using fakeout abilities like that?

there were fakeouts in T9 savage too, it's not new to this game

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I leveled WAR to 40 (since I thought improved skill traits applied to cross class :downs: ) and it was already more interesting than PLD at 60.

Once I finish leveling MCH I'm tempted to make a complete switchover (although I'll probably wait until 3.1 to see if PLD gets buffed)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

no, this is them re-introducing the random drops of 2 out of 3 possible items from alex normal, only this time nothing useful comes out even more often

Still more interesting re: having control of substats than I expected.

SirPhoebos posted:

I leveled WAR to 40 (since I thought improved skill traits applied to cross class :downs: ) and it was already more interesting than PLD at 60.

Once I finish leveling MCH I'm tempted to make a complete switchover (although I'll probably wait until 3.1 to see if PLD gets buffed)

Seriously just go for it, there's too many paladins and it's just not good or fun right now. As the wheel of buffs and nerfs turns, you'll be ready for whatever happens. It's entirely possible (though imo unlikely) Warrior will get nerfed too and I have at least DRK waiting if the balance shifts too far.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 21, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Still more interesting re: having control of substats than I expected.
there is nothing fun or interesting about spending an effort to try getting something and getting nothing out of it because the item it rolled ended up being completely garbage or not usable by a class present for the drop

at least in savage you get a book that eventually lets you buy something with it, even if all your loot is ninja gear that nobody will use

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

there is nothing fun or interesting about spending an effort to try getting something and getting nothing out of it because the item it rolled ended up being completely garbage or not usable by a class present for the drop

at least in savage you get a book that eventually lets you buy something with it, even if all your loot is ninja gear that nobody will use

Don't forget you can exchange unwanted gear for points, whatever that entails.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Don't forget you can exchange unwanted gear for points, whatever that entails.
I'm sure we'll go full kMMO and you can spend points to get another player-centric loot crate that lets you roll for another chance on a piece of gear that might be useful, except it never will be

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

I'm sure we'll go full kMMO and you can spend points to get another player-centric loot crate that lets you roll for another chance on a piece of gear that might be useful, except it never will be

This is the fruits of years of whining that XIV isn't full of open world life-wasting RNG bullshit like Glorious CoP-Era XI. Please look forward to it.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

This is a step in a way more interesting direction than I expected, though. We'll see how soulcrushing it is but in theory this means that you can pretty much pick your substats to your choosing almost to the same degree as you can with your relic weapon on all equipment if you roll the dice enough times.

I still want a relic armor questline that lets you customize the stats on your armor. While the grind for alex and materia for novus was brutal, it was nice being able to customize an item like that. The materia system definitely isn't living up to its potential, you have the system to customize your stats a bit but nothing aside from gear that's both expensive and obsolete has slots to do it with.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zweihander01 posted:

I still want a relic armor questline that lets you customize the stats on your armor. While the grind for alex and materia for novus was brutal, it was nice being able to customize an item like that. The materia system definitely isn't living up to its potential, you have the system to customize your stats a bit but nothing aside from gear that's both expensive and obsolete has slots to do it with.

While I suppose the answer is "because RMT" I'm still not entirely sure why you can't convert dungeon/tomestone gear nor can you meld to like any of it. I mean I guess it's supposedly the advantage of crafted over dungeon gear too but all of it is absurdly expensive to make for as low of an item level as it is, even if pentamelded accessories are marginally better.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Boten Anna posted:

While I suppose the answer is "because RMT" I'm still not entirely sure why you can't convert dungeon/tomestone gear nor can you meld to like any of it. I mean I guess it's supposedly the advantage of crafted over dungeon gear too but all of it is absurdly expensive to make for as low of an item level as it is, even if pentamelded accessories are marginally better.

Honestly when I first heard of the Crafting class distinction, I figured that the absolute best gear in the game would be available from getting a drop from endgame raids which would then be used in a crafting recipe.

Kind of disappointed that isn't the case.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Honestly when I first heard of the Crafting class distinction, I figured that the absolute best gear in the game would be available from getting a drop from endgame raids which would then be used in a crafting recipe.

Kind of disappointed that isn't the case.

There's really only two ways to implement that, though. Either the item and the resulting craft are not tradeable, in which case the specific player that wins it also has to be a top-tier crafter for it to be of any use, or they are tradeable, in which case you can buy the best gear in the game. Neither of these are good.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

kafziel posted:

There's really only two ways to implement that, though. Either the item and the resulting craft are not tradeable, in which case the specific player that wins it also has to be a top-tier crafter for it to be of any use, or they are tradeable, in which case you can buy the best gear in the game. Neither of these are good.

A third option would be to have something similar to 'request meld' where you interact w/ a crafter and you have to have the endgame raid mats in your inventory (which would be untradeable) and that allows them to craft the item for you. So crafters still have a use but you need to get the raid mats yourself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bonds0097 posted:

A third option would be to have something similar to 'request meld' where you interact w/ a crafter and you have to have the endgame raid mats in your inventory (which would be untradeable) and that allows them to craft the item for you. So crafters still have a use but you need to get the raid mats yourself.

A request craft button would be awesome.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Something like that would be pretty great, and make crafting actually useful. It's sad that they keep making it more and more bullshit while making it less and less useful.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a website or something for glamours? My gear no longer looks appropriately magey and I want to fix this, and want to see if there is some good options outside of just using the stuff I got from my level 50 class quest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oxyclean posted:

Is there a website or something for glamours? My gear no longer looks appropriately magey and I want to fix this, and want to see if there is some good options outside of just using the stuff I got from my level 50 class quest.

The battlemage's set from brayflox's longstop is always a great classic option. You can clear the place unsynced as a solo level 60 in minutes if you want to farm it for gear.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

bonds0097 posted:

So crafters still have a use but you need to get the raid mats yourself.

FFXI had Abjuration armors which were both crafted and rare/ex endgame drops like 30 years ago

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

surprisingly it does not, the game's gear is really hard to make look proper without all the shaders they add to everything so you gotta try it out in game really

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxivglamours has some ideas, but it's more of a showoff forum rather than an itemized site like the housing one. Your best bet is to go to the MB, set your level to 60 (if it's not already), and just try on all the pieces. Untradeable dungeon gear won't show up on the list, but it's rare for the dungeon gear to be very different than crafted models, so you should just get a feel for which shapes you like. Once you know what kind of model you want for your gear, you can usually find lists on google of other gear that uses the same model in case you are trying to find a dyable or lower level version

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

The level 55 gear from the Aery and the level 58 chimerical / serpentskin gear looks pretty magey.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr. Nice! posted:

A request craft button would be awesome.

Add "buy order" to the marketplace. Put into it the ability to add materials so if you accept the buy order it begins the craft, perhaps.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Taear posted:

Add "buy order" to the marketplace. Put into it the ability to add materials so if you accept the buy order it begins the craft, perhaps.

Glorious 1.0 had like, half of this. Yoshi-P :argh:

(I want repair requests back so bad)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boten Anna posted:

I honestly was surprised when I found out you couldn't have others repair on your behalf. I found out when I sent a tell to someone and said "hey can you repair my gear for me?" and they were like "What? No, that's not possible."

I do want the ability to create shopping lists from crafting though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

If they wanted to do this the "right" way, they ought to have made it like GW1's enchantments: blocks of stats that players can purchase and then slot into their existing gear, with the ability to turn in unwanted stat blocks over time to get a guaranteed one.

I mean, I'd be okay with this current setup if they're able to find a way to make doing the exploratory missions fun after the 50th time. I'm fine with rare-drop stuff if doing the thing that gets me to there is fun. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that it's probably just gonna be like the Odin FATE or an S-rank where my computer culls 20 people and I promptly explode to an AoE packet that decided to finally finish its agonizing journey from Montreal.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm pretty sure that since these exploration missions are instanced there's not going to be that issue.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

1.0 also didnt allow NPCs to fully repair gear

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Neither does 2.0 :smug:

(That :smug: only applies to the poor souls that don't have their crafts leveled enough to repair anywhere, It is such a huge QoL perk.)

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 21, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Oxyclean posted:

If you're just looking for ideas, you could try http://xivbubblegum.pink/

It doesn't have item listings to look at, but lots of finished glamours.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

1.0 also didnt allow NPCs to fully repair gear

But you could also switch to crafting classes mid-dungeon and repair other's gear. Between that and catgirl rear end sizes, I think we all know what the superior version of FFXIV was

but anna there werent really dungeons in 1.x in the same sense as--"QUIET YOU"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah, 1.0 was so good they had to drop a meteor on it.

• Locked thread