Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

JackBadass posted:

No need to be an rear end in a top hat, dude, just prove your claim. I'm not saying it doesn't, but I'm not seeing anwhere that says it scales with whatever is higher.

There's no need to be skeptical, either, given our asymmetric access to combat mods and the ease of searching for it yourself. But here we are.

Ultimates have used the higher of weapon and spell damage since the 1.3.0 PTS (July 2014). It was announced in a road ahead article http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2014/07/08/the-road-ahead---july-8, but while it wasn't important enough to make it into the patch notes, you can see the immediate effects of PvP whining here http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/126360/fix-for-ultimate-ability-damage. For the next three updates, ultimates used a hodgepodge of weapon and spell critical chance, until that was fixed in 1.6.5 (March 2015) http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/154426/patch-notes-v1-6-5.

Now, anything that doesn't cost stamina or magicka (ultimates, synergies, repentance) will scale off of whatever's better for you, both damage and crit chance. Anything that costs magicka uses spell damage and spell crit only, anything that costs stamina uses weapon damage and weapon crit only. It has been this way since console launch, and is one of the reasons you can now live without something like FTC giving you damage numbers (provided you are willing to believe people who do have it).

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Oh, I already have them. I was just making on a commentary on "do you really need add-ons for shards and books?"

The PvP-for-lyfe player sure does!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

And that was all that was needed of your post.

As for your claim of there being no need to be skeptical, bullshit. You make a claim, don't provide a citation for that claim when asked, and then act like *I'm* the one who's absurd for wanting to see an official statement. You're not an official source and you're not an authority, so yes, I'm going to be skeptical when you don't back up your claim.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

So was the latest PS4 patch supposed to reset your skills, as it did mine?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tgidieday posted:

There's no need to be skeptical, either, given our asymmetric access to combat mods and the ease of searching for it yourself. But here we are.

Ultimates have used the higher of weapon and spell damage since the 1.3.0 PTS (July 2014). It was announced in a road ahead article http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2014/07/08/the-road-ahead---july-8, but while it wasn't important enough to make it into the patch notes, you can see the immediate effects of PvP whining here http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/126360/fix-for-ultimate-ability-damage. For the next three updates, ultimates used a hodgepodge of weapon and spell critical chance, until that was fixed in 1.6.5 (March 2015) http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/154426/patch-notes-v1-6-5.

Now, anything that doesn't cost stamina or magicka (ultimates, synergies, repentance) will scale off of whatever's better for you, both damage and crit chance. Anything that costs magicka uses spell damage and spell crit only, anything that costs stamina uses weapon damage and weapon crit only. It has been this way since console launch, and is one of the reasons you can now live without something like FTC giving you damage numbers (provided you are willing to believe people who do have it).

Why be a dick about someone being skeptical? That's almost as bad at getting someone mad about not believing the Lusty Argonian Maid NPC exists in game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

So was the latest PS4 patch supposed to reset your skills, as it did mine?

Yep. ZoS has no clue about "hey we just re did a bunch of skills so instead of offering you a free respec scroll in case you're fine as is, we're going to wipe all your poo poo and make you remember where you put all them skill points."

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im in (on pc) actually enjoying it. But i was wonderign what is useful to craft? ATM i have the choice between 2 people and i have no idea what is good.

Playing some two-hander orc as my first toon if that helps.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Yep. ZoS has no clue about "hey we just re did a bunch of skills so instead of offering you a free respec scroll in case you're fine as is, we're going to wipe all your poo poo and make you remember where you put all them skill points."

I screencapped all my skills last night. I thought it was just some dumbass who heard an unfounded rumor, but now I'm glad I had that thought of "Well, just in case..."

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

Im in (on pc) actually enjoying it. But i was wonderign what is useful to craft? ATM i have the choice between 2 people and i have no idea what is good.

Playing some two-hander orc as my first toon if that helps.

Two people? What are you talking about?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JackBadass posted:

Two people? What are you talking about?

He's talking about the trainers I'm sure.

Meskhenet just talk to the equipment crafting trainer and learn to make whatever it is your character wears. That's more straightforward and more directly useful to a new player than consumables crafting by far.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Why be a dick about someone being skeptical? That's almost as bad at getting someone mad about not believing the Lusty Argonian Maid NPC exists in game.

Because a game mechanic that hasn't changed in a year shouldn't require an effort post. Most people would just go "oh, good to know" and move on.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Meskhenet just talk to the equipment crafting trainer and learn to make whatever it is your character wears. That's more straightforward and more directly useful to a new player than consumables crafting by far.

awesome. ill do that

Thanks

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

Because a game mechanic that hasn't changed in a year shouldn't require an effort post. Most people would just go "oh, good to know" and move on.

I wasn't aware that copy/pasting a link was an "effort post". Sorry to make you strain yourself.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

He should still do all six of them anyway, just to have access to them. Money's in the provisioning writs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JackBadass posted:

He should still do all six of them anyway, just to have access to them. Money's in the provisioning writs.

I can't imagine a way to make a new player engage less than by telling doing all crafting writs every day.

Craft the poo poo you wear to start, branch out later if you have the interest.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If finding the exact recipes needed for the provisioning writs is as much of a pain in the rear end as people are making it out to be on the ESO forums, then hell no do not start doing writs on your first toon.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I can't imagine a way to make a new player engage less than by telling doing all crafting writs every day.

Craft the poo poo you wear to start, branch out later if you have the interest.

I meant get certified in all of them, not actually do them.

Besides, provisioning is the easiest and most profitable of the writs. Just go online, find the six possible recipes for your rank, and only collect ingredients for those. Do it each day and profit.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 17, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

tgidieday posted:

Patch notes and dev blogs arent good for learning about combat mechanics.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

If finding the exact recipes needed for the provisioning writs is as much of a pain in the rear end as people are making it out to be on the ESO forums, then hell no do not start doing writs on your first toon.

They're not, people just bitch whenever they have to do any work. I found all the recipes I needed in a half hour.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

JackBadass posted:

They're not, people just bitch whenever they have to do any work. I found all the recipes I needed in a half hour.

Did you buy them from other players?

I mean, I don't really care, but on my two characters as a new player I've yet to be able to complete any provisioning writs, and both spend the vast majority of their time stealing everything that isn't nailed down. They both have a ton of recipes, they just always seem to be missing one.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I agree that provisioning writs is kind of a big/unfun task for a new player, between hunting down pain in the rear end recipes and ingredients. It's not impossible but between the running around and town navigating, both things easy for seasoned players but kind of daunting for newbies, it just doesn't seem worth it. A new player shouldn't be hurting for money anyway, just questing and selling crap they don't need will give them a decent amount to put aside for bank/inventory space.

The easiest most zero-effort way to make good money is to just pick everything shiny off the ground (keen eye skill if you don't feel like picking out important raw materials from the scenery) and sell all mats for crafting professions you don't care about in your guild store.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pro-tip: Provisioning Writs can be done with other people's crafted items. If you don't have the recipe, you can always give the ingredients to someone else who does and have them do it for you.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

JackBadass posted:

I wasn't aware that copy/pasting a link was an "effort post". Sorry to make you strain yourself.

Glad to save you the trouble of looking at meteor's tooltip damage before and after applying major brutality.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Did you buy them from other players?

I mean, I don't really care, but on my two characters as a new player I've yet to be able to complete any provisioning writs, and both spend the vast majority of their time stealing everything that isn't nailed down. They both have a ton of recipes, they just always seem to be missing one.

Guild traders. Also, as was said above me, you don't need to make the food yourself, so if you find the food items in a guild bank, take those.

tgidieday posted:

Glad to save you the trouble of looking at meteor's tooltip damage before and after applying major brutality.

I don't have Meteor, like I already said. Thanks for citing your source eventually, though. I didn't know ultimates worked like that until I read that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Server status: poo poo'S hosed.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I think its okay now.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Apparently servers were DDoS earlier.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I like crafting. I find myself walking around looking for mats, occasionally doing a quest....

BUT

gently caress 60/60 inv bank slots and gently caress the 1k crown coins for another 10.

Is there a way to buy more inventory/bank slots with ingame gold?
I swear i saw someone selling 10 bank slots for 5k gold.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

I like crafting. I find myself walking around looking for mats, occasionally doing a quest....

BUT

gently caress 60/60 inv bank slots and gently caress the 1k crown coins for another 10.

Is there a way to buy more inventory/bank slots with ingame gold?
I swear i saw someone selling 10 bank slots for 5k gold.

Yeah, you can always buy more bank slots from the banks themselves, though it turns into a massive gold sink. Same thing with bags, you can find pack merchants in the market sections of each town. The good thing is that you can access any of your craft materials from any station in the world as long as they're in your bank.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i just got round to going back into pvp since the patch, and, lol
RIP shield-based sorcerer build

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

vug posted:

i just got round to going back into pvp since the patch, and, lol
RIP shield-based sorcerer build

I seem to be doing fine what with the changes to stamina regen. Oh you got shield breaker? SNARE SNARE SNARE SNARE

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Now all of you can stop worrying about stacking shields and focus on what's really important:

Killing a man in one punch. That's the real secret to PvP, dealing fifty eight thousand damage in one hit.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The joke is that one-shot wonder builds are no longer effective as well.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

1. Magicka NB owns, never going back to stamina again.
2. Made bank just now with 10k Tel Var stones. 130-something v15 runes for 125k. Farming Tel Vars is the new economy meta.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Last night we got ganked by some DC in the sewers. Decided to get our stones back by hunting them down, and couldn't find them. Finally opted to set up shop outside the sewer entrance up in the Imperial City and gank unsuspecting people.

As soon as we loaded up top, AD and DC everywhere. Started fighting and dying and killing and holy poo poo it was fun as all hell. It wasn't even zerg vs zerg, it was just a couple of 6-8 man groups duking it out on the streets. Throw in a roamer boss that kept dropping anti-skill fields all over and it was chaos.

10/10 would PvP again.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Bought the DLC last Thursday and still haven't tried it. Barely played 5 minutes of it in the last five days, since I got Phantom Pain. What I've seen of the various changes they've made, though, I'm not a fan of. So far I've only seen the guild trader bug (I hope to gently caress it's a bug) and the new way gold is handled in the bank.

Still no text chat.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

Last night we got ganked by some DC in the sewers. Decided to get our stones back by hunting them down, and couldn't find them. Finally opted to set up shop outside the sewer entrance up in the Imperial City and gank unsuspecting people.

As soon as we loaded up top, AD and DC everywhere. Started fighting and dying and killing and holy poo poo it was fun as all hell. It wasn't even zerg vs zerg, it was just a couple of 6-8 man groups duking it out on the streets. Throw in a roamer boss that kept dropping anti-skill fields all over and it was chaos.

10/10 would PvP again.

I was watching- half watching/listening to a twitch stream of that last night while leveling. It looked pretty fun. Honestly I don't love a lot of the ESO streamers. I have been listening to Fengrush while I level sometimes. He runs an Orc stam sorc and claims he was told by the developer that he has the highest telvar income. He seems pretty lethal, but not quite full of himself in the same way some of the others are. His commentary isn't all about money or anything and he seems to have a very solid grasp of the game mechanics which he talks about while 1vX in IC... He was pretty drunk last night. I can't even reliably mash the right buttons... Not sure how people do all that.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 21, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My brother is playing this and wants me to try as well. Is there anywhere to get this for less than 60 bucks, or should I wait for a Steam sale or something?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Mozi posted:

My brother is playing this and wants me to try as well. Is there anywhere to get this for less than 60 bucks, or should I wait for a Steam sale or something?

Keep an eye on green man gaming as well, they had a crazy "one day only" sale for fifteen bucks a couple months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sogol posted:

I was watching- half watching/listening to a twitch stream of that last night while leveling. It looked pretty fun. Honestly I don't love a lot of the ESO streamers. I have been listening to Fengrush while I level sometimes. He runs an Orc stam sorc and claims he was told by the developer that he has the highest telvar income. He seems pretty lethal, but not quite full of himself in the same way some of the others are. His commentary isn't all about money or anything and he seems to have a very solid grasp of the game mechanics which he talks about while 1vX in IC... He was pretty drunk last night. I can't even reliably mash the right buttons... Not sure how people do all that.

Yeah Fengrush ganked us inside the sewers last night.

As for streamers, King Richard is pretty cool, dude's a DC Redguard and has a fantastic magicka sorc build.

Sypher was also a good source until he went nuts and opted to give up free rent and college for a chance to live out the usual dream of 20-somethings and stream ESO full time. lol.

• Locked thread