Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Scott Walker dropped out and David Cameron hosed a dead pig. And it's only Monday.:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

My day sucked and I am sick but the fact that Walker will never be president made it slightly better. The last of that 9 panel reveal thing should be Donald trump throwing a double bird.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Details coming in from NYTimes:

quote:

Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin has concluded he no longer has a path to the Republican presidential nomination and plans to drop out of the 2016 campaign, according to three Republicans familiar with his decision who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Mr. Walker called a news conference in Madison at 6 p.m. Eastern.

“The short answer is money,” said a supporter of Mr. Walker’s who was briefed on the decision. “He’s made a decision not to limp into Iowa.”

The supporter said that Mr. Walker’s fund-raising had dried up after his decline in the polls and that campaign officials did not feel they could risk going into debt with the race so uncertain. The governor, who was scheduled to be in New York and Washington this week, partly to raise money, had built up an expansive staff, bringing on aides and consultants detailed to everything from Christian conservative outreach to Super Tuesday states. But his fund-raising did not keep pace with the money needed to sustain such an infrastructure.

Mr. Walker’s intended withdrawal is a humiliating climb down for a Republican governor once seen as all but politically invincible. He started the year at the top of the polls but has seen his position gradually deteriorate, amid the rise of Donald J. Trump’s populist campaign and repeated missteps by Mr. Walker himself.

In the most recent CNN survey, Mr. Walker drew support nationally from less than one-half of one percent of Republican primary voters. He faced growing pressure to shake up his campaign staff, a step he was loath to take, according to Republicans briefed on his deliberations.

In recent weeks the Walker campaign’s fund-raising has been in a downward spiral, with the candidate undertaking a heavy travel schedule of political events but spending far less time raising money. Two top Walker donors said on Monday that potential backers who had been leaning toward Mr. Walker had started expressing strong misgivings about the direction of his campaign after his middling performance in the Republican debate last week. The two donors were helping to organize a fund-raiser for Mr. Walker on Thursday in New York at the apartment of Todd Ricketts, a national finance co-chairman of the Walker campaign, but were struggling to lock in people to attend.

“Donors have totally dried up for Walker, and getting people to come on Thursday was unbelievably hard,” one donor said. “Everyone I know was just totally stunned by how difficult the fund-raising became, but the candidate and the campaign just couldn’t inspire confidence.”

Mr. Walker burst into attention in late January with a fiery speech in Iowa, where he upstaged other 2016 Republican hopefuls before a conservative crowd, speaking of how he had withstood angry protesters and threats as Wisconsin’s governor.

Courting Republican primary voters who are more conservative than the Wisconsin electorate, Mr. Walker moved to the right, taking hawkish positions on immigration, signing an anti-union bill in Wisconsin and asking the state Legislature to send him a bill banning abortions after 20 weeks.

He continued to lead the Republican pack in Iowa all spring, and roared over the open road on a Harley-Davidson to a seven-candidate political fund-raiser in the state in June.

But Mr. Trump’s surge as a political outsider galvanized grass-roots Republicans who are angry at all conventional politicians, and he drew more support from Mr. Walker than from any other candidate.

Mr. Walker’s own shortcomings on the campaign trail, too, seemed to emerge in the close glare of a national race. At the first Republican debate in early August, he appeared lackluster and short of charisma. He staked out and then revised positions on birthright citizenship and on building a barrier on the Canadian border.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...v=top-news&_r=0

The moral to take away from this: just because you have billionaires backing you up with a PAC, you need people to donate to your campaign itself, and contributions to that are limited to $2,700 a person.

Now who will keep our northern border safe from the wildlings?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 21, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Too late. Hopefully this is some sort of campaign voodoo.

to be fair, it works just as well for the hypoglycemic Bush

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Seriously though gently caress Scott Walker forever.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hahaha

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Objectively the worst candidate in the race. Next up: Santorum

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Xenophon posted:

For posterity

:allears:

It's amazing that the top two got there by either being racist (Trump) or lying their rear end off in the second debate. (Fiorina) I'm still not sure why people like Carson.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When you get called out for bankrupting your state, and driving it to the worst metrics compared to the other states, you're not going to get very far on a national level.

The only reason he won 3 times in this state is because more people on the red team than the blue team vote during non-presidential election cycles. No one cares what you do, it's football to people in this state.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

I'm still not sure why people like Carson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Spacebump posted:

It's amazing that the top two got there by either being racist (Trump) or lying their rear end off in the second debate. (Fiorina) I'm still not sure why people like Carson.

Keep in mind that Carson's popularity is in the context of Trump being front-runner: he's also an "outsider" but one who appeals more to Serious Sensible Conservatives than Trump ever will.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Spacebump posted:

I'm still not sure why people like Carson.

He's a foil for Obama; a subdued black man with conservative attitudes and political outsider status.

Fake edit: he's also a neurosurgeon

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

You're doing a great thing here. A great thing.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

I don't know what the conventional wisdom is on this but, as long as the Koch's are willing to back him he can stay in the race. He might even be able to buy his way into a caucus win in Iowa; which was his game plan all along.

Quoting myself from 2 pages back to reinforce the idea that I am an idiot and this election season is great.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Fox Ironic posted:

He's a foil for Obama; a subdued black man with conservative attitudes and political outsider status.

One of these days he may even say something loud enough that people can hear him too. Just you wait.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Fox Ironic posted:

Also he's been real popular ever since he criticised Obama while standing inches away from him at the national prayer breakfast, and is regularly featured as a commentator on Fox News. He's been big for a while, just not in a way you're likely to have noticed if you're outside that particular audience.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

Quoting myself from 2 pages back to reinforce the idea that I am an idiot and this election season is great.
At this point the idea that Trump might be the eventual Republican nominee is looking like a not-insignificant possibility to me.

I mean four months ago if someone had told you that Donald Trump would be leading the pack with Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina fighting for second place while Walker drops out due to polling at literally 0%, you would have said they were loving insane.

And yet here we are, in the yoogest, most amazing of timelines.

Embrace the madness that Trump has wrought, and be sure to vote against him in the general election.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ben Carson is the lunesta butterfly of candidates.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

radical meme posted:

Just waiting for the people downplaying Trump to do the same.

:getin:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ben Carson is the lunesta butterfly of candidates.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

radical meme posted:

I was actually going to post basically the same thing you did and then just kind of forgot to.

This is the best election ever.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Scott Walker forever

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
NYT says Walker is pulling out: https://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/09/21/scott-walker-said-to-be-quitting-presidential-race/

Edit: gently caress you all beat me to it

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Wow for real?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
rest in piss walker

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Bryter posted:

Also he's been real popular ever since he criticised Obama while standing inches away from him at the national prayer breakfast, and is regularly featured as a commentator on Fox News. He's been big for a while, just not in a way you're likely to have noticed if you're outside that particular audience.

Yeah his voice might have no energy but he still says all the incendiary nonsense. He called Obama a psychopath.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Brannock posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Scott Walker forever

same but unironically

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

SA is really getting those ad impressions in while they can.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wow holy hell was not expecting that at this stage. Any ideas on why he was polling so low?

Shinjobi posted:

rest in piss walker

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

"Wow, it's got the ring and everything!"

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

No shame at all in that prediction - I would have made the same one, I agreed with you 100%. I figured Walker, Bush, and maybe Rubio would go the distance as long as Trump was the frontrunner. Now I don't know what to believe. This is actually very surprising to me.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wow holy hell was not expecting that at this stage. Any ideas on why he was polling so low?

He committed the cardinal sin of both sounding and looking dumb while he said dumb things. You're only supposed to do the latter in the GOP primary

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Monkey Fracas posted:

Because he is a really bad candidate for President. I enjoyed when he had different stances on immigration 4 days in a row.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, and I paid for this avatar and everything.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I want to know Joementum's hot take on what will happen now that Walker is out. Is Trump still a 0% chance of winning the nomination?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Monkey Fracas posted:

Boring as all hell, only strong record is on union busting which the base couldn't really give much of a gently caress about, has a face like a toby jug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

He committed the cardinal sin of both sounding and looking dumb while he said dumb things. You're only supposed to do the latter in the GOP primary

He was also a 100% financial conservatism candidate at a time when next to noone is biting that bait. In his attempt to appeal to social conservatism he brought up the "what if the mother will die without the abortion" hypothetical himself before diving in with the answer that even makes fundies cringe ("nope, no abortion, rip mother").

There's a reason Rand Paul is painting his fiscal conservatism with crazy axe/flamethrower/gun machismo.

He's a bad politician and a bad human being and hopefully he is overthrown in WI so his years of damage can be undone.

• Locked thread