Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Asiina said it was absurd to split the thread when instead we could have a redundant thread that will be doomed to fail. :downs:

Take like 15 deep breaths eat dinner and then come back objectively. We can easily organize ideas for a new thread if we remove the current emotionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kumbamontu posted:

chaoslord is my new spirit animal

:hfive: Buddies in t-sql, buddies in mafia thread thought

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a math exam, it ended up being stupid easy and then I played hearthstone on my phone for the last hour until I could leave.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

imgay posted:

I had a math exam, it ended up being stupid easy and then I played hearthstone on my phone for the last hour until I could leave.

lol you must be in high school if you couldn't leave after you completed it.

Nerd

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chaoslord posted:

:hfive: Buddies in t-sql, buddies in mafia thread thought

fun fact: so my group is taking over some business process monitoring reports from a different group

one of these reports is essentially a "rejection report" that looks at transactions and sees which made it and which didn't, which they do by filtering on a certain account status in our account management system

the vast majority of rejected transactions do not cause accounts to fall into this rejected status, so the report was gathering all this great information and then throwing it all away

this report has existed like this for at least the last 3 years and i am scared to see what no one has known is being rejected

hooray job security!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Met, just post the drat thread and see if people want to use it instead of all this useless drama that just makes everyone involved look like a dipshit. If a new player came into this thread right now there's no way they would join our community.

Ughhhh.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

whatever happens I will happily post in both threads

i just think re-purposing the new game announcement thread into "new games + theory" is the path of least resistance, a good compromise, and as chaos put it a good litmus test to see what kind of activity level you would actually see from a theory thread

best case: it's SUPER popular and okay, fine you were right met. then we'll make a separate thread for theory only and everyone wins
worst case: no one talks about theory and it's just used for new games as it is today

my hunch is that there is going to be a short surge of theory discussion followed by a sudden lull and we return to the status quo, but i would be happy to be proven wrong

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CapitalistPig posted:

Yes this is for the poor misunderstood bottom half like Harold krell, and Mr Thingyman

How about other respectable community members like Chic Trombone, Juanito, Kleedrac, Ghastly Gangsta, Puntification, DBD, jon joe, Carpet Shark, Epsilon Plus, (sorry to those I didn't message). Sorry that you think they aren't worth providing better mediums of conversation for.

Kumbamontu posted:

whatever happens I will happily post in both threads

i just think re-purposing the new game announcement thread into "new games + theory" is the path of least resistance, a good compromise, and as chaos put it a good litmus test to see what kind of activity level you would actually see from a theory thread

best case: it's SUPER popular and okay, fine you were right met. then we'll make a separate thread for theory only and everyone wins
worst case: no one talks about theory and it's just used for new games as it is today

my hunch is that there is going to be a short surge of theory discussion followed by a sudden lull and we return to the status quo, but i would be happy to be proven wrong

I think this would be an absolutely fine situation if/when votefinder can better show us what games currently need sign-ups on the homepage.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Take like 15 deep breaths eat dinner and then come back objectively. We can easily organize ideas for a new thread if we remove the current emotionality.

gently caress off?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Keep that thread's OP updated with games currently in signups. I'll keep doing this like I've been doing for the last two months. Games stay in signups for around a week and I usually update the OP within 48 hours at the most.

There aren't that many new games that open. It's really not that hard to keep track of.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Hi I'm not reading 500 posts. How is everyone????

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

p good.

I had beetroot at lunch today and I thought of Billie from Masterchef AU and her love of beetroot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Keep that thread's OP updated with games currently in signups. I'll keep doing this like I've been doing for the last two months. Games stay in signups for around a week and I usually update the OP within 48 hours at the most.

There aren't that many new games that open. It's really not that hard to keep track of.

Wouldn't it be great to have so many people that it would be difficult to keep track of games needing sign-ups because they keep popping up and filling up to accommodate new people?

busb posted:

:tipshat:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kumbamontu posted:

fun fact: so my group is taking over some business process monitoring reports from a different group

one of these reports is essentially a "rejection report" that looks at transactions and sees which made it and which didn't, which they do by filtering on a certain account status in our account management system

the vast majority of rejected transactions do not cause accounts to fall into this rejected status, so the report was gathering all this great information and then throwing it all away

this report has existed like this for at least the last 3 years and i am scared to see what no one has known is being rejected

hooray job security!

I only wish I could stumble upon something like that

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

How about other respectable community members like Chic Trombone, Juanito, Kleedrac, Ghastly Gangsta, Puntification, DBD, jon joe, Carpet Shark, Epsilon Plus, (sorry to those I didn't message). Sorry that you think they aren't worth providing better mediums of conversation for.

I think this would be an absolutely fine situation if/when votefinder can better show us what games currently need sign-ups on the homepage.

gently caress off?

gently caress off? Sorry if I insulted you. Lol

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Wouldn't it be great to have so many people that it would be difficult to keep track of games needing sign-ups because they keep popping up and filling up to accommodate new people?

:tipshat:

It'd be great to have a pony too.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magnus Gallant posted:

lol you must be in high school if you couldn't leave after you completed it.

Nerd

No, its a poo poo class that had a lecture planned after class but the unwashed pleebs took the entire 75 minutes on the exam anyways

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Everybody be quiet. Met the biggest pussy in existence needs you to agree with him

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

Everybody be quiet. Met the biggest pussy in existence needs you to agree with him

Hey now, let's be careful with the language here.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Met posted:

It's fine if you don't want to use the word because you personally are offended by it but it's pretty goddamned rude to belittle others.

So these

Met posted:

gently caress you.

Met posted:

gently caress off?

aren't rude?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

It'd be great to have a pony too.

This is exactly the problem.

"I don't see this getting better so I'm not going to lift a finger to try."

Magnus Gallant posted:

Dude, seriously. You need to gently caress off.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpigjnKl7nI

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Hey now, let's be careful with the language here.

I apologize to everyone that possesses a pussy. I didn't meant to compare a giant dick to you

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Burn mafia to the ground and then rebuild better imo

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Met posted:

If we had that many people I have a hard time believing they would be unable to find a game without a dedicated "NEW GAMES ONLY" thread.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Alright yall lets back up a little bit here

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Met posted:

Several of those people quit for reasons unconnected to the thread being difficult.

What if instead of making a seperate thread for mafia chat, we made a seperate thread for debating about serious things and yelling at each other. I imagine that scares people off more than pictures of people's dinner

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

I don't need to do anything :)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Met posted:

This is exactly the problem.

"I don't see this getting better so I'm not going to lift a finger to try."

magnus was like one of the few people trying to talk to you about your plan then you told him to gently caress off. i think you are in angry mode and reading everyones posts as hostile.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

chaoslord posted:

So these

aren't rude?

If you treat someone in a patronizing manner like politely telling them to go away and be more agreeable when they get back you deserve to be told to gently caress off, frankly.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also my only votefinder promise is that I will get an auto updating list of games in signups

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

HiipFire posted:

Alright yall lets back up a little bit here

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Met posted:

I see most of those people in games all the time?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Several of those people quit for reasons unconnected to the thread being difficult.

What if instead of making a seperate thread for mafia chat, we made a seperate thread for debating about serious things and yelling at each other. I imagine that scares people off more than pictures of people's dinner

I don't mean to jump on this, but it seems to be part of the problem. Despite direct confirmation people here can't conceive that buzzfeed posting actually turns people off. It's a little self-important

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

This conversation was never about being able to join games

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

I don't mean to jump on this, but it seems to be part of the problem. Despite direct confirmation people here can't conceive that buzzfeed posting actually turns people off. It's a little self-important

:shrug:

Met is citing Carp as an example of the faceless hordes he's standing up for when we know goddamn well that she isn't playing mafia because she doesn't like mafia.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
ill just unbookmark this thread cya

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tremendous Taste posted:

This conversation was never about being able to join games

Then what is it about? People still play games enough that there is 6 going on currently?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

Met is citing Carp as an example of the faceless hordes he's standing up for when we know goddamn well that she isn't playing mafia because she doesn't like mafia.

I think he's literally reading the bottom half of the list rather than referencing people who told him so

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

No don't hiip then you'll never see my Netherlands jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

HiipFire posted:

Incredible. We've managed to get -1 more players to read this thread.