Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there anyway to get rid of the constant notification to update my 2013 MotoX to Lolipop (besides updating to Lolipop...)? It's gone from a passive notification bar icon to a full screen take over once a day that requires me to select a time for the next take over to occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Super Dude posted:

The phone speaker and headphones work fine, just not Bluetooth.

Slightly different from what SymmetryrtemmyS asked you: Do you happen to have an app that's set to automatically play music when it connects to Bluetooth? I remember having the same issue with my old Droid Maxx after a certain update. It began to autoplay music on my phone speaker instead of the car audio whenever it connected. I was using Poweramp and the audio system was Ford SYNC.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OnePlus CEO knows what's wrong with the company and how to fix it

Carl Pei
@getpeid
.@vannoj OnePlus as a company needs to practice the art of under promising.

GETPEID

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 21, 2015

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

WhyteRyce posted:

OnePlus CEO knows what's wrong with the company and how to fix it

Carl Pei
@getpeid
.@vannoj OnePlus as a company needs to practice the art of under promising.

GETPEID

They are really good at under delivering, maybe some of those skills carry over.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Splinter posted:

Is there anyway to get rid of the constant notification to update my 2013 MotoX to Lolipop (besides updating to Lolipop...)? It's gone from a passive notification bar icon to a full screen take over once a day that requires me to select a time for the next take over to occur.

Letting the phone update is probably the only way, unless you mess around with root, sorry.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Rastor posted:

The Nexus event is Sept. 29.

I don't know if Blackberry is going to have an event but it's basically 100% leaked to be launching in November.

I meant the camera impressions. It's weird to me that there's all these blackberry & nexus leaks detailing hardware, even some hands-on, but not a single person has taken a picture with the things?

Surely someone has used one to take a picture? Might just be NDA's or something preventing them from doing so but you'd think if the news was positive, they would leak "Takes great pictures".

[edit] LOL at NDA's that allow some "leaks" but not others

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Splinter posted:

Go to Settings > Apps > All > Motorola Update Services, force stop, clear data, then disable it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TollTheHounds posted:

I meant the camera impressions. It's weird to me that there's all these blackberry & nexus leaks detailing hardware, even some hands-on, but not a single person has taken a picture with the things?

Here, I'll tell you the camera impressions.

Independent review sites will say under testing conditions it's one of the top cameras.

Some people will manage to take some bad pictures under challenging conditions (cattes will likely be involved).

The camera will be branded as bad despite being better than most point in shoots at equal price points.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mooktastical posted:

I agree with the entirety of this, but would like to add that when and if Camera2.apk is ever implemented, this would become a thing of the past.
Do you mean this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.camera2

Or are you referring to something else?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Motorola just has lovely Bluetooth support, from what I've experienced first hand and read. With my second gen Moto G for example, streaming Bluetooth music to any device I've tried is a mess of pausing, popping, stuttering etc. Yet if I listen to music with headphones, it's smooth as silk.

Oh and my phone still can't use navigation and music at the same time without kicking one or the other out of memory after a few minutes Lmao gently caress Motorola

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola just has lovely Bluetooth support, from what I've experienced first hand and read. With my second gen Moto G for example, streaming Bluetooth music to any device I've tried is a mess of pausing, popping, stuttering etc. Yet if I listen to music with headphones, it's smooth as silk.

Oh and my phone still can't use navigation and music at the same time without kicking one or the other out of memory after a few minutes Lmao gently caress Motorola

I've encountered occasional trouble with Bluetooth audio on my third-gen G. 98% of the time it's fine, but from time to time it will cut out for a fraction of a second, or start skipping and sound like it's speeding up for a second or two before returning to normal. I only use Bluetooth in the car so I don't care all that much, but it is a bit annoying.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, appreciate the roundup. I wonder if it was the OIS that really set it apart as the i6 does not have it. Shame that the Note5 doesn't, I imagine the S6 doesn't?

The Note 5 and the S6 both have OIS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The worst bluetooth I've ever encountered was on Nexus tablets. Seemingly incapable of keeping any wifi throughput while using bluetooth audio.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The rear end Stooge posted:

I've encountered occasional trouble with Bluetooth audio on my third-gen G. 98% of the time it's fine, but from time to time it will cut out for a fraction of a second, or start skipping and sound like it's speeding up for a second or two before returning to normal. I only use Bluetooth in the car so I don't care all that much, but it is a bit annoying.

Ah yes, this is something my second gen Moto G does also. Very annoying. It's gotten worse with every update Motorola pushes down to my phone also so the faith in them to fix these issues is non existent. I'm holding out for the new nexus 5 at this point.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Do you mean this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.camera2

Or are you referring to something else?

No,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera2&hl=en

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Letting the phone update is probably the only way, unless you mess around with root, sorry.

Of course if he never wants to update then root might not be the worst thing. I'm pretty sure on Motorola devices that removing or renaming a single file will prevent the update.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

bull3964 posted:

Here, I'll tell you the camera impressions.

Independent review sites will say under testing conditions it's one of the top cameras.

Some people will manage to take some bad pictures under challenging conditions (cattes will likely be involved).

The camera will be branded as bad despite being better than most point in shoots at equal price points.

Is this a :smugbert: about the Moto G or something? Or did this happen with phones that are generally acknowledged as having "very good" cameras like the G4/Note5/S6?

"Challenging conditions" for a point & shoot ( camera or otherwise ) are not "inside at 3pm with cloud cover".

Actually it should be fairly easy now with the G4/Note5/S6/iPhone6() as benchmarks to hold up against - that is the level I am interested in.

The camera on the Moto G for example is not "bad" but it is not good enough for what I want. In comparison to those benchmarks it is "bad", because I really don't care if it's better than another phone at its price point.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 22, 2015

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

TollTheHounds posted:

Actually it should be fairly easy now with the G4/Note5/S6/iPhone6() as benchmarks to hold up against - that is the level I am interested in.

It's highly unlikely that any other phone this year will have a camera that will match the cameras on those devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TollTheHounds posted:

Is this a :smugbert: about the Moto G or something? Or did this happen with phones that are generally acknowledged as having "very good" cameras like the G4/Note5/S6?

"Challenging conditions" for a point & shoot ( camera or otherwise ) are not "inside at 3pm with cloud cover".

The camera on the Moto G for example is not "bad" but it is not good enough for what I want. In comparison to those benchmarks it is "bad", because I really don't care if it's better than another phone at its price point.

Just a generalization of what typically happens whenever a new phone is released.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

TollTheHounds posted:

Just buy one of the phones you listed and you'll be happy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can anyone help me out? Facebook is giving me parallel notifications today. The alarm link opens a browser and goes to FB. I want that to go away.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can anyone help me out? Facebook is giving me parallel notifications today. The alarm link opens a browser and goes to FB. I want that to go away.

Just get rid of the terrible Facebook application. Especially now that Chrome can send notifications for it

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Godinster posted:

Just get rid of the terrible Facebook application. Especially now that Chrome can send notifications for it

Mine just started doing this and it's driving me crazy, how do you tell chrome to not send website notifications without permission?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Godinster posted:

Remember when the Facebook app was contracted out instead of being developed in-house by Facebook?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

uPen posted:

Mine just started doing this and it's driving me crazy, how do you tell chrome to not send website notifications without permission?

Its in chrome settings under site settings

Either go to all sites, or scroll down to notifications

By default it asks, so you probably clicked allow at some point

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Desk Lamp posted:

It's highly unlikely that any other phone this year will have a camera that will match the cameras on those devices.

Really? What about the Sony Xperia series?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sergiu64 posted:

Really? What about the Sony Xperia series?

TollTheHounds posted:

The camera app matters too though I think. I have a Z2 which I bought at the time ( when it was first released ) because I figured they ( Sony ) make all the sensors so they must have the best pictures right? I suppose might have an older module, but unless I'm taking a standing-still full daylight picture, the picture quality is rear end using Auto ( point and shoot ) settings.

Maybe if I used the manual settings and took the time to adjust the ISO & white balance etc maybe low-light ( I hesitate to use that term - because any light other than outside full daylight from late morning to early evening is "low light" ) pictures would be better. However considering most people ( me ) just want a point and shoot, that should be something to consider.

I don't know if that is because of the software, I suppose it must be because otherwise why would the same sensor take different pictures in multiple devices.

TL;DR - Ironically Sony phones do not take the best pictures using their own sensors

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

Its in chrome settings under site settings

Either go to all sites, or scroll down to notifications

By default it asks, so you probably clicked allow at some point

Worked. Thanks!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

With the change to Google now, when I swipe an article away it has a habit of coming back later. Any way to get rid of that?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Super Dude posted:

Just buy one of the phones you listed and you'll be happy.

That'll be the case unless the Nexuses or the Blackberry are sufficiently camera-good (OIS + fast camera loading + good pictures in auto-mode in a variety of settings ). I want a new phone already and a note5/s6/g4 will all work, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger until I know all the options since there's still 3 more phones being released this year I'm considering.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am similarly torn. Wait for the 29th.

On the same day, we'll see the new Nexus and HTC phones. Also, that is the day that the Blu Pure XL will be available.

Then I'll have three or four 'flagship' big phones at a variety of price points with a number of pros and cons. Most likely I'll just pony up the couple hundred extra for the Note 5, but maybe Blu, HTC, and/or Google will surprise us.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Have to say, the 21mp sensor captures some pretty nice detail.

This is a fairly significant crop of the full image. Only other retouching it hitting the "Auto" in Photos. This was also a "pull camera out of pocket and jab the screen" picture as I was waiting at a crosswalk and the light just turned green. Very off the cuff quick shot.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/22/youtube-red-might-be-the-new-name-for-music-key/

Looks like YouTube Music Key might be getting a name change to YouTube Red, which will I totally support, just for the thought of people accidentally end up going to RedTube

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Unlocked Nexus 6 32GB Android Smartphone for $300 + free shipping http://dealnews.com/1457026.html?iref=rss-dealnews-todays-edition

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
This beauty just dropped in my inbox today.

\/ Not gonna happen. This thing is total trash.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 23, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Looking forward to your review and flip.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hotsauce posted:

This beauty just dropped in my inbox today.

\/ Not gonna happen. This thing is total trash.

What phone you using right now hotsauce?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I have a 2012 Nexus 7, and recently I've been having a weird issue with it. Whenever I plug it into a computer via USB, the computer doesn't detect it at all. I've tried different computers, different USB ports, switched the tablet from MTP to PTP, and nothing seems to make the computer recognize it. What's going on with it, and is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

E: Or would this be an issue on the computer's end that needs to go to a different forum?

Pinball fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 23, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Pinball posted:

I have a 2012 Nexus 7, and recently I've been having a weird issue with it. Whenever I plug it into a computer via USB, the computer doesn't detect it at all. I've tried different computers, different USB ports, switched the tablet from MTP to PTP, and nothing seems to make the computer recognize it. What's going on with it, and is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

E: Or would this be an issue on the computer's end that needs to go to a different forum?

Try a different cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Massasoit posted:

With the change to Google now, when I swipe an article away it has a habit of coming back later. Any way to get rid of that?

Every single time I go to the now tab it asks if displaying the same card is useful. Any way to stop this?