Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
NHL16 - Do not ever call for a loving pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Why in the world do I have another 2GB update?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Infidel Castro posted:

Why in the world do I have another 2GB update?

Haha, I was wondering the same thing. I just got done playing a few hours ago, turned it back on and BAM. Is there a changelog yet? I'm gonna look now.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Version 1.03
Improvements made to online game performance and crash issues

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Apparently it's a online connection fix. Why the gently caress it's 2 gigs I have no clue.

Albacore
May 10, 2009

Eckertmania posted:

Alright, so, since there are a lot of people still looking for an EASHL team to play with on PS4, I set one up.

Look for "Kanes Pool Misfits" (KPM) in North American East.

Edit: So, I got invited to the one of the other PS4 groups, so I made Albacore the GM of KPM.

Whoops I dropped out of KPM figuring someone else had a team with a few more people on it. I made Twosteaks (think that was his name, might be mistaken) GM now. So I guess if anyone has a team I'll join up otherwise I'll skulk back to KPM.

Uniballer
May 14, 2005

Some guy bought me this avatar as a reward for defeating Skizzzer in Internet Hockey. I have slain the mighty! Also, Taylor Hall is gay.
A couple of us are about to play some dropins for the next two hours or so

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Uniballer posted:

A couple of us are about to play some dropins for the next two hours or so

I'm on my way home from work, I'll be on in 20 minutes or so

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Hockles posted:

Version 1.03
Improvements made to online game performance and crash issues

Must be because hut ran like poo poo after the update. Also found a new way to crash the game but I don't know if it was there before this patch.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

No, coach, I'm not going to try the faceoff shot on a draw in our own zone.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

No, coach, I'm not going to try the faceoff shot on a draw in our own zone.

Don't worry, the faceoff deke is next. Yes, he'll want it in your zone.

I still haven't ever gotten it to approach working yet OOPS [SKILL DOWN] there goes my faceoff skill - - - - - - - -

ed: That being said, I am still having hockey-related fun with this silly, semi-broken game.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 22, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Yeah you can't really zip them anymore witch is stupid. I end up using saucer passes most of the time because of this as the normal long pass is mostly useless.

No it's not. Stretch passes are still a thing but the it has to be open and you have to play a build that is a good passer.

I cannot imagine using saucer pass on any normal breakout.

Pro tip: passing is better when your other players read a play and skate to where they predictably should be (open space). This happens rarely unless you're one of about 4 people I've played with thus far.

Anders posted:

NHL16 - Do not ever call for a loving pass

Sorry, again, no. This is one thing that most people use incorrectly and far too often but it can be really effective if you've correctly read a play and skated to a predictable scoring area (and it's also open space).
This happens rarely.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 22, 2015

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

sellouts posted:

No it's not. Stretch passes are still a thing but the it has to be open and you have to play a build that is a good passer.

Pro tip: passing is better when your other players read a play and skate to where they predictably should be (open space). This happens rarely unless you're one of about 4 people I've played with thus far.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm talking about pass that has to be fast to get to it's target. Next best thing is using the saucer pass. If there is open ice and the pass doesn't have to be fast then the normal pass will do. I'm playing hut so I don't know about the other modes but I presume it's the same.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sellouts posted:

Sorry, again, no. This is one thing that most people use incorrectly and far too often but it can be really effective if you've correctly read a play and skated to a predictable scoring area (and it's also open space).
This happens rarely.

Well, the issue isn't really doing it at the right time. The issue is that the AI usually passes to you if you have a good clear line, and then you proceed to pass it to no one as soon as you get the puck

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I can win every faceoff before Pro, but after that, welp

What's the key to being patient enough to win faceoffs in H2H

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

The key to winning Faceoffs is to always use tie up and hope that your wingers are paying attention.

E: Any idea if this patch has actually made a difference at all to lag? I probably won't get chance to play EASHL to the weekend.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 22, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
the servers seemed to be less poo poo towards the end of last week. I think that was probably just a volume thing.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

If you start in the juniors, is BAP supposed to have you play a full year? I was thinking it was just going to be like the Memorial Cup or something, but gently caress, I don't want to go through a whole season with the Otters (even though they own). (I simmed a bunch, then got yelled at for being lazy.)

I want to play a few games to set up my draft spot, but I didn't want to learn the intricacies of the OHL. Did I just pick the wrong option when I started?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

CellBlock posted:

If you start in the juniors, is BAP supposed to have you play a full year? I was thinking it was just going to be like the Memorial Cup or something, but gently caress, I don't want to go through a whole season with the Otters (even though they own). (I simmed a bunch, then got yelled at for being lazy.)

I want to play a few games to set up my draft spot, but I didn't want to learn the intricacies of the OHL. Did I just pick the wrong option when I started?

I did the same thing. I think the best option is to sim the first 2 periods of each game, and play the third.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I did the same thing. I think the best option is to sim the first 2 periods of each game, and play the third.

Is that still the wya to go in the NHL? I'd rather not slog through 82 full games, but I've read a few posts say "simulation penalty" here.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is that still the wya to go in the NHL? I'd rather not slog through 82 full games, but I've read a few posts say "simulation penalty" here.

You can disable the sim penalty in the options.

That said, there's a few times I tried the sim 2 periods thing and my player apparently did literally nothing those 2 periods so it's sort of a penalty.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

You can disable the sim penalty in the options.

That said, there's a few times I tried the sim 2 periods thing and my player apparently did literally nothing those 2 periods so it's sort of a penalty.

I had no idea this was possible, thanks. I don't even understand why the simulation penalty is a thing in the first place.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You still get penalized if you sim despite what that option says. All it does it remove negative experience gains. Also while you can still sim 2 periods and play the third, it really puts you at a disadvantage because Im pretty sure the negative experience toggle only applies after the game ends. So if you sim 2 periods and your guy plays like poo poo then you jump in be prepared to be dragged down by those D- ratings you started off at and coach telling you youre now on the third line because you just arent playing well. :downs:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Any interest in Euro goon team? I would love to play with everyone here but the lag would be just too big.

Whats your PSN? We'll get some drop in games in.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Zip! posted:

Whats your PSN? We'll get some drop in games in.

Unfotunately I have to fix my net (if that is even possible) before I can start playing. Most of my online hut matches have been awfully laggy. I chatted with some of the opponenets and it seems it's always I who causes the lag.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hey people who joined the RGR PS4 team but aren't in IRC: if you log in and you're not on the roster, we trimmed things down to try to get our usual core back and playing together. I think there's enough PS4 free agents for another team (if it does not exist already?), and everybody is more than welcome to hang in the IRC channel.

Still lots of opportunity for drop-in, and we still have a way too full roster so if there's a boatload of idiots online we'll default back to 5v5 Goon on Goon games.

I wish EA would implement a better way to handle large groups. Either multiple games at once or an easier way to move between teams or something.

Assuming regular playing drop-off, we might have more space in a month or so.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's been a while since they had multiple rooms. They were great in some aspects because you always had people to play with, but then there'd be cliques.

In eashl, it would be a problem because it encouraged teams to roll with multiple games of three players max to climb up leader boards. Finding teams playing for or more was rare.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 23, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Alright I made a club for all the RGR purge refugees and other goons who need a club, name is "Liver Damage", abbreviation is "LD"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So is the game good again this year? I'm considering buying a PS4 mostly for this, I miss hockey games

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

triplexpac posted:

So is the game good again this year? I'm considering buying a PS4 mostly for this, I miss hockey games

inb4 sba "never buy a ps4"

It's alright. There are (as always) a number of complains about skating, possession, passing, goaltending, the AI, the commentary, the menus, the community, the website, and the music, but it's a decent enough game. At least it seems to be roughly complete unlike last year's stripped down shitpile.

I mean, I would not drop console-money just to play it. I did not pay full price for NHL as is.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Pleads posted:

I mean, I would not drop console-money just to play it. I did not pay full price for NHL as is.

Pretty much this - its a fun game to play, especially with Goons. Its worth picking up if you have a PS4, but it definitely should not be the reason you get one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I find it to be most enjoyable with the right group

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
1v1 online vs. has been solid so far. No real connection issues to speak of.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Pleads posted:

It's alright. There are (as always) a number of complains about skating, possession, passing, goaltending, the AI, the commentary, the menus, the community, the website, and the music, but it's a decent enough game. At least it seems to be roughly complete unlike last year's stripped down shitpile.

It's what 15 should have been from the beginning. NHL 15 was early alpha of this same game that we paid for as a full game. Even the menu music is just slightly altered nhl 15 menu music.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone do online shootout mode? When I'm goalie, I just like to charge out at the shooter and hit triangle to dive at him. Everyone wants to do sick-nasty dekes and never expects it.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I actually did buy a PS4 pretty much just to play this game last year, and didn't even buy 15 because I only played BAP and wanted to do more EASHL, and BAP was hilariously neutered and EASHL was removed altogether. So 16 is actually delivering on why I bought the PS4 at all (and of course in the meantime I've played lots of other good nextgen games). It's very fun. If you want to buy a console just for it then I say go for it :homebrew:

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 23, 2015

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Buy a PS4 for GOAT MGSV and pickup NHL while you're at it. That way you've got at least one good game to play when you inevitably ragequit NHL.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Buy bone if you're good at this game pls

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

CellBlock posted:

You want to select "Start with Entry Draft"

You start in the Memorial Cup to determine your draft spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

This dumb game crashes constantly. Started Be-a-pro two matches in, crash, and now I don't really feel like starting that again. I started thinking what other games have crashed on my ps4 and then I remembered sending crash reports to sony after nhl 15 crashed. Good job EA.

• Locked thread