Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've used BB 9800, which had a lot more pronounced "chin", and it was ok. I've typed with thumbs, holding phone in 2 hands. My main fear would be the fact it ends slippery, like some of newer Samsung phones are. So far also no mention of specs. Release date is rumoured to be mid-november, so it's not much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Depending on specs, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'd be interested if it wasn't a loving slider phone. In 2015.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Slider phones are the new hipster flip phone.

I'll probably get one after my contact expires and the price comes down.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

e: never mind, fixed it! (loving BES)

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 2, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BBRY acquires Good Technologies for a big chunk of their cash reserves

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-good-technology-deal-1.3215661

Certainly is a gain for their EMM side of the business.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Man, remember when Good kept on sniping at RIM/BB over and over, saying how behind the times they were, and how Good was the future?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Man, remember when Good kept on sniping at RIM/BB over and over, saying how behind the times they were, and how Good was the future?

To be fair, BBerry has basically been copying their business model of just being a corporate server for all phones. They probably consolidated because there isn't a ton of room for multiple players.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone dumped a playbook on me. I really don't know what to do with it so I just googled "plex blackberry" and it LOOKS like there's a plex app for BB? Is it still maintained? Is it worth the five bucks the internet says it costs? I would find out myself but I need to charge it first since it has been neglected for many months.

And will probably be neglected for the forseeable future, yeah.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/96457/plex-for-blackberry-playbook

It might work best via the browser.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is there a known issue with some Blackberries that once your password expires if you enter a non-valid new one, it just makes it so you can never log in at all?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

^^^^
I've never heard about that issue, sorry.

http://crackberry.com/blackberrys-android-powered-venice-caught-hands-video

Slider keyboard acts like one on Passport! :dance:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Looks pretty slick! I wonder if it's too little too late now

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

"Priv, it stands for privacy and privilege. Privacy is what you get, security is what we provide and privilege is what you end up... and that's how we think about it " - John Chen, CEO of BB, provider of provilege to check :eng99:
Despite lovely name I still consider it for sometime in 2016.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

alex314 posted:

"Priv, it stands for privacy and privilege. Privacy is what you get, security is what we provide and privilege is what you end up... and that's how we think about it " - John Chen, CEO of BB, provider of provilege to check :eng99:
Despite lovely name I still consider it for sometime in 2016.

Yeah it is about the dumbest shorthand privy name ever.

I think I still want it.

I shall put my hands on the keyboard and I shall know.

The truth.

Actually I have been bitching for years about blackberry hardware running Android, it better be everything I dream of dammit. and then I'll rom the poo poo out of it.

as soon as I switched over to my passport I immediately could never go back to touchscreen bullshit typing again.

How did I do it so long?

I feel like it must have been contributing to my overall depression at the time subconsciously.

Physical keyboard = happiness

Thanks for this talk, normally very quiet blackberry thread.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm loving excited about the Priv. If it flops, RIM goes down in flames, and the only thing we get is a Hub for Android apk, I'll still walk away happy. Well, I won't because it'll seal the deal for "keyboards are dead" and I'll have to resign myself with going back to writing nonsense.

That said. Please, for the love of all that is holy, make that leaked Passport running android a real thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xlevus posted:

I'm loving excited about the Priv. If it flops, RIM goes down in flames, and the only thing we get is a Hub for Android apk, I'll still walk away happy. Well, I won't because it'll seal the deal for "keyboards are dead" and I'll have to resign myself with going back to writing nonsense.

That said. Please, for the love of all that is holy, make that leaked Passport running android a real thing.

If you really want that, I'm sure there's a Chinese knockoff phone that's almost literally a Blackberry Passport running Android.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The Priv (loving stupid name) is available for preorder

http://store.shopblackberry.com/store/bbrryus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.39123800/productID.328095700

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BES 10 has to be the worst server-grade product I've ever touched in my life. I've only tested BES 12 in a lab environment but I really hope it makes me less desiring of alcoholism. gently caress you Blackberry.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

CLAM DOWN posted:

BES 10 has to be the worst server-grade product I've ever touched in my life. I've only tested BES 12 in a lab environment but I really hope it makes me less desiring of alcoholism. gently caress you Blackberry.

I couldn't believe they released BES10 as it is.

For the longest time you were able to push device password settings with a higher minimum length than maximum length, basically breaking device activation. It got fixed maybe a year after release.

Does BES12 still do that ridiculous mapping where groups of settings are all profiles, and profiles can be applied to individual users and groups, and you roll a 12-sided dice to figure out which one will take?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

I couldn't believe they released BES10 as it is.

For the longest time you were able to push device password settings with a higher minimum length than maximum length, basically breaking device activation. It got fixed maybe a year after release.

Does BES12 still do that ridiculous mapping where groups of settings are all profiles, and profiles can be applied to individual users and groups, and you roll a 12-sided dice to figure out which one will take?

Yup. It's loving hilarious. I had like 9 profiles of the same type and no idea which mapping would stick.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
This might finally be the device that will convince my wife to upgrade from her 9800 Torch, this is the first phone she is at least looking at. Depending on how it goes I might even switch from iPhone to this as I am getting tired of the apple phone experience.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just got a classic and I love it. First blackberry I've ever used. The priv is too big for my tastes (same size as the iphone 6 plus I switched away from which was too big) and blackberry 10 is actually pretty cool. I love the keyboard. Anyway, how big of a mistake have I made?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GutBomb posted:

I just got a classic and I love it. First blackberry I've ever used. The priv is too big for my tastes (same size as the iphone 6 plus I switched away from which was too big) and blackberry 10 is actually pretty cool. I love the keyboard. Anyway, how big of a mistake have I made?

you have a keyboard, if someone shittalks, you will be able to be articulate when you get defensive anyways :unsmith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Assuming all you need is call, text, email, you're fine. If you need apps, whelp you are gonna run into issues down the road.

The classic was a great work phone when I had it. Wouldn't recommend it as an only phone for most people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I almost want to buy the awfully-named Priv just to help support the Titanic...

Also my battery life has gone to poo poo on this Q10 and I can't decide if it's less hassle to pay up for a new battery or bug them about the warranty period.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Duckman2008 posted:

Assuming all you need is call, text, email, you're fine. If you need apps, whelp you are gonna run into issues down the road.

The classic was a great work phone when I had it. Wouldn't recommend it as an only phone for most people.

I mostly use my phone for texting, email, looking poo poo up when a computer is not nearby, music/podcasts in the car, navigation, and browsing these forums. I got the Google play store/google play services working so I was able to fill the functionality gap left by apps not available in blackberry world or the amazon store. I'm pretty satisfied. The keyboard, the hub, and the trackpad make using this phone a nice experience.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has anybody found a decent, or even not-decent-but-works Google Talk app for BB10?

My Android phone died and until something that comes out that I actually want to replace it with, I'm stuck with a Q10 I've been loaned.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

The BlackBerry-built one from BlackBerry World works fine on my Q10.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I ordered a drat Priv, here in the blackberry thread I confess my shame.

Hope it doesn't suck.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm close to doing the same so you won't be alone in your shame.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Early reviews are positive, and I'd get one if I could.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Well I cancelled the order, because blackberries official distributor is trickling them out at a glacial pace.

amazon gets a batch in from time to time and they fairly quickly sell out.

I got in on the last batch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0169SNI3C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

keep an eye on this link if anyone cares, but hey prime shipping yo!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Well i like it. Go team.

Anyone want to buy a unlocked passport?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SneakyFrog posted:

Well i like it. Go team.

You apparently got your first software update today, too!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

Well i like it. Go team.

How much, and are you willing to ship to EU?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I also ordered a Priv after about a month with a Classic. Should arrive soon. Anyone want to buy an unlocked classic?

edit: got the Priv delivered today and it kicks rear end. It ran really hot before the software update but after applying it the heat hasn't come back. Build quality is great and it runs android apps so much better than the BB10 runtime did (not a surprise at all, just really nice).

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 4, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

alex314 posted:

How much, and are you willing to ship to EU?

Sorry been slammed at work, but yeah i can ship to EU from the office.

$300 for the phone, charger and 2-3 cases I may have some screen protectors and doodads that I'll throw in as well.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

Sorry been slammed at work, but yeah i can ship to EU from the office.

$300 for the phone, charger and 2-3 cases I may have some screen protectors and doodads that I'll throw in as well.

I'd buy it but I've spent next 3 months worth of my "gadgets and poo poo" fund on a watch. I'll have to make do with my z30 for now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

How's the Priv's battery life these days? Still terrible for what you'd expect out of a 3410mAh battery?

• Locked thread