Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tamron 90mm with three cheap Chinese manual extension tubes. Right bugger to focus with my D7000 in liveview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is anyone else planning to get a Venus KX-800? The MT-24EX looked discouragingly expensive to me, and I don't think I would bother with ETTL anyway.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

Is anyone else planning to get a Venus KX-800? The MT-24EX looked discouragingly expensive to me, and I don't think I would bother with ETTL anyway.

Yeah, it looks like it would be amazing - although I may need to save some pennies before I spring for one.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
After so many critters and plants here's something different:

Screw It! by Markus Glanzer on 500px

That's the actual photo and not a crop.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Some sort of cricket or grasshopper? Anyone have any ideas, was found on central Vancouver Island.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 12, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^ Great shot! Looks like a Slender Meadow Katydid.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I attended a bug macro workshop in Belize recently. I put up a flickr album of shots, but here are a few highlights:

Over and Under

Turtle Ant

Through the glass

Hooded mantis

Crysalis

Wandering Star

If you have the chance to go to a "BugShot" workshop I highly recommend it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Holy gently caress, those are amazing. :aaaaa:

I'm jealous you got to go to Belize. I'm planning to go to the domestic Bugshot next year.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Cleaning Time by Raikyn, on Flickr

Cockroach by Raikyn, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 18, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Uh, is it scary to get this close to a wandering spider?

I just got a really good deal on a used MP-E 65. :dance:

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 20, 2015

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Bubbacub posted:

Uh, is it scary to get this close to a wandering spider?

I just got a really good deal on a used MP-E 65. :dance:

I was too ignorant to be afraid. The guy I was with shoots all the time in the forest at night and he got right up to it to shoot, so I did the same. I was behind a big camera, with a large diffuser on the front like a big white shield.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 20, 2015

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Graniteman posted:

I attended a bug macro workshop in Belize recently. I put up a flickr album of shots, but here are a few highlights:

Over and Under

Turtle Ant

Through the glass

Hooded mantis

Crysalis

Wandering Star

If you have the chance to go to a "BugShot" workshop I highly recommend it.

These are great!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

babby's first macro shots

Formica ant by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Leaf beetle by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Have you used the MP-E 65 much before?
It can be a little tricky to get used to at the start.

Good first shots though :)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Thanks! I've never used one before, but the experience of pointing the lens and not knowing what the hell I'm looking at is pretty similar to using a 600mm telephoto on birds. Nailing focus is totally different though, it takes a lot of concentration to slowly rock back and forth and press the shutter when it looks about right. It's a fun lens, I can't wait to take it out again.

Any ideas for diffusing the heads on a KX-800?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I had no idea harvestmen looked so armored and crablike up close.

Yellow Sac Spider by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Harvestman by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Got a new lens, Olympus 60mm. So far I love it! Still need to practice more though, got to get a handle of this macro depth of field and focus thing...

P1060701.jpg

P1060692.jpg

P1060681.jpg

P1060675.jpg

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Western Conifer Seed Bug

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm having a ton of fun with the KX-800. I was playing around with putting one head above the subject, and one underneath the leaf it was sitting on. I think the effect was a little garish and poorly-executed here, but it's something I want to play around with some more.

Ants guarding aphids by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Gray Tree Frog by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This shot turned out a little better.

Camponotus major worker by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Crane Fly in the blossom
One at 3:1 other at 5:1

crane fly by Marc, on Flickr

crane fly by Marc, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

A new diffuser rig:

Field equipment August 2015
MT-24EX flash with a diffuser cone on the end. The cone is made from a ceiling light panel diffuser which I cut into the cone shape and attached to the camera with a rubber band. There is a big step-up ring on the end of the lens to give the rubber band something to grip. The flash heads are on flexible arms which let me position them far enough back from the cone to get rid of hot spots on the cone. I wish the flex arms were a bit more rigid though. They tend to flop around. Also, there is a bicycle light attached to the lens with a head lamp band. This is to serve as a powerful modeling light for shooting at night. The cable you see is running to a battery (clipped to my belt) for the bike light. The lens here is a 100mm macro with a raynox DCR-150 close up filter.

I also have a much smaller cone I use for a MP-E 65 lens. That is a much more compact setup.

Example shots.

Bee on yarrow

Ant in the moss

In this last shot the flash heads flopped closer to the cone, giving less diffusion and more directional light. Still very nicely diffused, but I'd rather have a single highlight than two regions.

20150910-HA4A0715.jpg

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^ Looks like a nice rig, the shot of the ant is particularly awesome.

babby's first focus stack here:

Bellura by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

It's not perfect, but I'm still happy with the results since it was handheld on a live insect.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bees

bee by Marc, on Flickr

bee by Marc, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

some tiny bugs:

midge midge

tiny spider

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems pretty close. I'm looking to buy a digital microscope so I can take photos of...well extremely small poo poo (my main interest is sand) and I was hoping for any insight/recommendations you guys have? I don't mind spending over $100, I'm more interested in picture quality, resolution, and zoom, and the ability to hook it to a computer.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I'm selling the MT-24EX and custom diffusers that I use for my macro stuff if anyone is interested.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=231&perpage=40#post453287936

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Bismuth posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems pretty close. I'm looking to buy a digital microscope so I can take photos of...well extremely small poo poo (my main interest is sand) and I was hoping for any insight/recommendations you guys have? I don't mind spending over $100,

It really depends on your expectations about magnification - stereo scopes generally don't go much above 4x magnification (often advertised as "40x" because they factor in the 10x eyepieces). That's fine for larger specimens, but you may find that limiting, and zoom scopes have a reputation for trading convenience for image quality - but for some applications critical imaging performance is a secondary consideration. You'd probably end up using an eyepiece camera, which vary in quality from OK to awful.

An inexpensive compound microscope could also work, assuming that the objectives have enough working distance for lighting (transmitted light probably isn't ideal for your choice of subject). Again, you could use an eyepiece camera, or you could adapt a mirrorless or SLR cam instead. There are a number of people who custom fabricate adapters for this purpose (I have a couple of custom-made adapters from rafcamera.com).

Bismuth posted:

I'm more interested in picture quality, resolution, and zoom, and the ability to hook it to a computer.

Can you point me at some examples of the type/quality of images you'd like to obtain? That might help narrow down the available options.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Bismuth posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems pretty close. I'm looking to buy a digital microscope so I can take photos of...well extremely small poo poo (my main interest is sand) and I was hoping for any insight/recommendations you guys have? I don't mind spending over $100, I'm more interested in picture quality, resolution, and zoom, and the ability to hook it to a computer.
Speaking as a microbiologist, one issue you might have is that standard microscopes are transmission microscopes. In other words, the light is generated on the far side of the objective lens and passes through your target before being collected by the objective lens. This is fine for microbes, which don't carry enough molecules that absorb light in the visible spectrum to completely block that light. But for sand, which is chunks of light-absorbing or reflecting minerals, you will probably want your light source on the same side as the lens. Other than dissecting microscopes, which probably won't provide enough magnification for your needs, I don't use any microscopes like the one you are looking for.

One other quick note: Microscopes can be "traditional" or "inverted." Traditional scopes have the light source below the stage and the objective lens above it. Inverted scopes have the light source above the stage and the objective lens below it. But both are still transmission style scopes.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Nomenclature posted:

But for sand, which is chunks of light-absorbing or reflecting minerals, you will probably want your light source on the same side as the lens.

To add to this post, stereomicroscopes (dissecting microscopes) are used primarily to observe 3D subjects using reflected light. On the other hand, compound microscopes shine light through a very thin or partially translucent subject - so lighting your sand would require the addition of a second light source. On a conventional monocular or binocular compound microscope, only the 4x and maybe the 10x objectives will have enough working distance (ie. the distance between the front of the objective and the points on-subject that are in focus) for you effectively light your subject from the same side. Higher magnification objectives often have working distances in the sub-millimeter range - for instance, my 40x objective has a WD of 0.65mm.

Microscope objectives with higher magnifications and suitably long working distances exist (like these), but their cost puts them firmly in the territory of labs or industrial outfits.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 5, 2015

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I've mostly used dissecting microscopes, They're probably more what I want, to get pictures like they have here http://sandgrains.com/sand-grains-gallery.html I would like to get surface texture rather than just the color and shape. I'm certainly not looking at anything as small as individual cells, so I don't think I'd need or want something with a zoom to that level. I was looking at things like this http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Han...12X39N3N4Q7CCSQ but I really don't know much about brands or if that's even better than getting something to take a photo directly through the lens of a normal stereo microscope.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Bismuth posted:

I've mostly used dissecting microscopes, They're probably more what I want, to get pictures like they have here http://sandgrains.com/sand-grains-gallery.html I would like to get surface texture rather than just the color and shape. I'm certainly not looking at anything as small as individual cells, so I don't think I'd need or want something with a zoom to that level. I was looking at things like this http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Han...12X39N3N4Q7CCSQ but I really don't know much about brands or if that's even better than getting something to take a photo directly through the lens of a normal stereo microscope.

You can get a digital microscope that goes up to 500x on ebay for $15. The resolution is only 600x480, the stand is pretty bad, and using the highest zoom can be difficult, but it's incredibly cheap. It works exactly like a webcam.

Here's what sand from the backyard looks like under mine:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The Hornet in the first 3 killed that Cicada and started dragging it along the path. It was metal as gently caress.

Australian Hornet by ASB, on Flickr
Huntsman Spider by ASB, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 9, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Testing the focus bracketing on my em5ii. Works pretty well.

2015-12-12 20-20-24 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bubbacub posted:

^^ Great shot! Looks like a Slender Meadow Katydid.

nope, a Meconema sp. male, with the bow-like claspers on the rear end end

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Mossies

mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

I got a new microscope and made a big panorama of a rock with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
First macro in almost 2 years. Feels Good Man. D750+Nikkor AI-s 55mm Micro+Raynox DCR-250.

Furrow spider (Larinioides cornutus)