Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm gonna message highwire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742528

Its gonna be fun I promise.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

People grow up, find new interests, and realize that calling people assholes and idiots while trying to come up with even newer Mafia games is kind of silly. Also, that whole "This website is practically on life support" thing.

There's my two cents, you guys can go back to potato chat.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

EccoRaven posted:

You are welcome to play in it so long as you agree to cut it out with the personal insults against me at least while the game runs.
I think it would be better to oppose each other as Kings in busb's game. I volunteer for consideration.

And the roster should be distributed playground team-picking style.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Lumpen posted:

I think it would be better to oppose each other as Kings in busb's game. I volunteer for consideration.

And the roster should be distributed playground team-picking style.

While a fine idea you guys have both been thread rulers before i believe and soldiers games aren't run very often. Maybe the newer crop of players should have representation, although the sense of rivalry may not be there

Team picking is a good idea though, and could be run in a google doc chat in real time to not clog up the thread.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Yeah I would rather not be a Ruler again, it was very stressful.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

busb posted:

While a fine idea you guys have both been thread rulers before i believe and soldiers games aren't run very often. Maybe the newer crop of players should have representation, although the sense of rivalry may not be there

Team picking is a good idea though, and could be run in a google doc chat in real time to not clog up the thread.

It's me

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

but who would be your rival

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
also busb if you do run a Soldiers game remember they often have huge issues with balancing due to the inter-thread kills; a town could do really, really well (voting scum out almost every day) and still lose only to attrition.

Removing third party kills, lowering scumteam sizes, and/or allowing the town more than one execution a day are possible solutions.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I will do it. I will make the Mafia New Game Announcement & Architecture Thread.

It will be used for announcing new mafia games (replacing the one currently authored by Jose Valasquez) and discussing mafia setups, roles and speculation, especially for prospective mods. I will police off-topic chat if it comes up.

This thread will not really change at all.

Both threads should be fun to discuss previous games of mafia in.

I will try to type this up tonight. I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone who posts in this thread a lot to be the author of that thread, so as to avoid some sort of schism or something. I know I am new but as Met said, the OP doesn't really matter and as Taste said, the community has to accept it for it to stay alive. I'm newish but this is not a crown-grab. Just a good solution that I totally agree with chaoslord about.

If anyone has a problem with this or any input please PM me or message me on skype or something. I just read pages and pages about this and don't want to bring it up here again.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

busb posted:

While it is true that I totally rule, and that I am a Mafia legend, and that there was a game called Lumpen vs. winvirus which was a normal mini, and I am a useful forum smilie :lumpen:, I have never been a ruler in a soldiers game.

I was a loyal subject of Good King TNL in Fantasy World at War, and I was Scum under Alliance King Merk in Mordeceius' World of Warcraft. Never played in any other sodiers game that I can recall. Definitely never been a ruler.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

EccoRaven posted:

also busb if you do run a Soldiers game remember they often have huge issues with balancing due to the inter-thread kills; a town could do really, really well (voting scum out almost every day) and still lose only to attrition.

Removing third party kills, lowering scumteam sizes, and/or allowing the town more than one execution a day are possible solutions.

I have some ideas around this after the Dune game (which you didn't play in), where the battles worked pretty much as i thought in slow burn except for the n1 battle which was carnage and set up the thread for victory. The winning thread did better in thread too iirc though.

This will be the 3rd soldiers game I've modded so I am across the usual pitfalls. Hopefully Highwire can spare some of his time to help me out though.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Lumpen posted:

While it is true that I totally rule, and that I am a Mafia legend, and that there was a game called Lumpen vs. winvirus which was a normal mini, and I am a useful forum smilie :lumpen:, I have never been a ruler in a soldiers game.

I was a loyal subject of Good King TNL in Fantasy World at War, and I was Scum under Alliance King Merk in Mordeceius' World of Warcraft. Never played in any other sodiers game that I can recall. Definitely never been a ruler.

weren't you king in the WoW soldiers game? for some reason i thought you were.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

busb posted:

This will be the 3rd soldiers game I've modded so I am across the usual pitfalls. Hopefully Highwire can spare some of his time to help me out though.
Ok that's fair, sorry to backseat mod, I just remember the last Soldiers game I played (merk's Cheeto one) it had severe issues with balancing that I saw in previous Soldiers games and is endemic to the format. thanks for keeping it in mind!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Oh yeah I played Soldiers of Dune and was a Fremen I think. I barely remember that game except I think I made a loooot of spreadsheets for it.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

busb posted:

weren't you king in the WoW soldiers game? for some reason i thought you were.
Nope I was Scum and was swiftly lynched, if I recall correctly. It was notable because it was the first time I sacrificed my meta by making a ScumpenList.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

but who would be your rival

One of my rogues gallery

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Tremendous Taste posted:

One of my rogues gallery

I would volunteer but I do not want to be King(/Caliph) again. A tribe vs. pride game would be amusing though.

Personally I think the Kings should be people who don't hate each other irl. My opponent was Varinn e.g. and he's super cool (to me, not to anyone else).

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I only hate one mafia player and he doesn't play much anymore

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I was also Scum that didn't last long in the Goodsmeade soldiers game, I forgot that one too.

Fantasy World at War was soooo well-designed, dang. Unforgettable.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I keep forgetting who I hate.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Has anyone run a Twitter Mafia to experiment with 140 character post limits? We invented hashtags, after all.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tremendous Taste posted:

Me

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Lumpen posted:

I was also Scum that didn't last long in the Goodsmeade soldiers game, I forgot that one too.

Fantasy World at War was soooo well-designed, dang. Unforgettable.

That was a fun game. I really enjoyed RPing as a dwarf.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bitch u guessed it!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just read 640+ posts

and now I have a headache

and am depressed

yay mafia I guess

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lumpen posted:

Has anyone run a Twitter Mafia to experiment with 140 character post limits? We invented hashtags, after all.
yep someone did

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

:glomp:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

bowmore posted:

yep someone did

Jon joe where arrrrre you

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2015/09/18/company-hikes-price-5000-drug-fights-complication-aids-cancer-daraprim/32563749/

I really loving hate people sometimes.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

Don't hate Taste

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Correct

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
capitalism.txt

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Biggest Douche in the Universe. John Edwards has been dethroned (ok, he was dethroned awhile ago, but still...)

Mithross fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 22, 2015

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
Hi guys

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Amoeba102 posted:

The thing about role claims is that they should never be the basis of stopping an execution. Role =/= alignment is one of the most basic rules of mafia.

So you're saying you wouldn't go on pause if someone at -1 claimed cop or doctor?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh hey we're talking about mafia :v:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

hey jammy someone (either me or Amoeba) will be hosting a Soldiers game soon you should play in it.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

EccoRaven posted:

hey jammy someone (either me or Amoeba) will be hosting a Soldiers game soon you should play in it.

i will fite u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If soldiers game is not me vs. Asiina then there is no justice in this world.

(I would accept derp vs. Maturity as a suitable alternative)