Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Guavanaut posted:

Justified in that case, those look like Arabic numerals.

Arabic numerals?

Way to obfuscate Arabic, Hindu, and Indian, racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpQJ98rR4o

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

JoelJoel posted:

Arabic numerals?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

If I was the teacher I would have confiscated it and taken it to the office.

If I was the principal I would have had a sit down with the kid and then the parents and explained why it's not a good idea to bring things that could be mistaken for a bomb to school. I don't know the exact guidelines of the district in question, so I don't know how much leeway the staff has in dealing with these things.

You're dumb as hell

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Armyman25 posted:

If I was the teacher I would have confiscated it and taken it to the office.

If I was the principal I would have had a sit down with the kid and then the parents and explained why it's not a good idea to bring things that could be mistaken for a bomb to school. I don't know the exact guidelines of the district in question, so I don't know how much leeway the staff has in dealing with these things.

Why would you take a bomb and put it in a crowded office...unless you're the real terrorist???

source

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

My favourite part about the story is how the engineering teacher took one look at it and knew it wasn't a bomb, but the english teacher thought it might be so call the cops!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

space marine todd posted:

Why would you take a bomb and put it in a crowded office...unless you're the real terrorist???

source

What about bears? Have they been successfully contained?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

What about bears? Have they been successfully contained?

In Michigan we offer them traps filled with bacon because we want them to safely enjoy bacon in the forest.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/09/bacon_bait_bears_attack_hunter.html

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Get ready for Halloween.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Adidas has now officially replaced hammer and sickle as the symbol of communist revolution.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Armyman25 posted:

Under the school's rules you're not allowed to something that looks like a bomb to class. What he brought did look like a bomb in the teacher's opinion, and based on what he brought and what actual bombs look like, I agree that it does look like a bomb.

That is indeed what follows from the principles of Zero Tolerance, and illustrates why they're bad. It reminds me of Joshua Welch:

In 2014 he was expelled from a school in Maryland for chewing a generic brand poptart into the shape of a gun and saying "bang, bang". He was seven years old.

After some outcry, the NRA gave him a free lifetime membership, but the school board upheld his suspension.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Doc Hawkins posted:

After some outcry, the NRA gave him a free lifetime membership

How benevolent.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

LeeMajors posted:

How benevolent.

Republican shills more supportive of 7-year old than his own elementary school administration due to arbitrary policies, heil Amerikkka

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Honj Steak posted:

Adidas has now officially replaced hammer and sickle as the symbol of communist revolution.

I always wondered if they caught on because in a communist utopia everyone should be wearing unpretentious, comfy jumpsuits

deviler
Feb 20, 2007

Let's take this star craft out of dry dock, shall we?
I thought people were saying that the clock the kid brought to school was just a disassembled digital alarm clock, and what was most likely going on is that he brought this thing to school, possibly at the request of his father, to see if the school would react in a racist manner to it, which they did. But I haven't done the most amount of research on this topic so I'm not sure. Just saw a couple videos / articles pointing out that the components in his clock were definitely from a regular digital alarm clock and not hobbyist electronic parts.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't been following the clock thing very closely, so all I know is that a kid was arrested for bringing a reassembled clock to school. Was there something particularly egregious about this specific case since it generated this much outrage? I thought it wasn't too uncommon for American schools to go apeshit over stuff like that after Columbine.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't been following the clock thing very closely, so all I know is that a kid was arrested for bringing a reassembled clock to school. Was there something particularly egregious about this specific case since it generated this much outrage? I thought it wasn't too uncommon for American schools to go apeshit over stuff like that after Columbine.

Wozniak is such a wonderful old troll.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

deviler posted:

I thought people were saying that the clock the kid brought to school was just a disassembled digital alarm clock, and what was most likely going on is that he brought this thing to school, possibly at the request of his father, to see if the school would react in a racist manner to it, which they did. But I haven't done the most amount of research on this topic so I'm not sure. Just saw a couple videos / articles pointing out that the components in his clock were definitely from a regular digital alarm clock and not hobbyist electronic parts.

1) that's just a permutation on "brown people living off the government dime" except instead of welfare it's trying to provoke poor innocent white people into being racist so you can sue them

note: dad hasn't filed a lawsuit, any talk of a lawsuit is entirely speculation by racists

2) there are no 'hobbyist clock parts' that aren't also normal clock parts. the only difference between a digital clock and a DIY clock kit is that the kit is just the unassembled clock bits. the only meat on this attack is by trying to say the kid built it out of clock components instead of like from scratch or something, but even assembling electronics from a kit is a normal and praiseworthy thing for a teenaged nerd to do. again, this is just speculation on the part of racists trying to minimize the teen's actions into some kind of suspicious conspiracy

pictured: a bomb with 12 minutes left to defuse

Broken Cog posted:

oh it's definitely zero tolerance overreaction, but the teen never said anything about a hoax or a bomb or anything. the reason this became a culture war thing is because you have hordes of islamophobes getting all mad for reasons such as 'the cops didn't do anything wrong' and 'liberals are the real racists'

i mean when you see this example of zero tolerance nonsense and immediately think "this is just like when liberals have wronged my team in the past" that's textbook projection, and if you start trying to spin up fanciful theories about lawsuits and how it's not even a real clock anyways that's conspiracy thinking nonsense likely borne of racial or religious bigotry

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 22, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

2) there are no 'hobbyist clock parts' that aren't also normal clock parts. the only difference between a digital clock and a DIY clock kit is that the kit is just the unassembled clock bits. the only meat on this attack is by trying to say the kid built it out of clock components instead of like from scratch or something, but even assembling electronics from a kit is a normal and praiseworthy thing for a teenaged nerd to do. again, this is just speculation on the part of racists trying to minimize the teen's actions into some kind of suspicious conspiracy

Having worked in Radioshack I can confirm that electronic parts for similar devices are in fact similar if not the same.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://vine.co/v/ewjAxIPwHMT

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Doc Hawkins posted:

That is indeed what follows from the principles of Zero Tolerance, and illustrates why they're bad. It reminds me of Joshua Welch:

In 2014 he was expelled from a school in Maryland for chewing a generic brand poptart into the shape of a gun and saying "bang, bang". He was seven years old.

After some outcry, the NRA gave him a free lifetime membership, but the school board upheld his suspension.

http://patch.com/maryland/annapolis/boy-suspended-over-poptart-gun-loses-bid-to-clear-school-record

According to the Post, hearing officer Andrew W. Nussbaum wrote: “As much as the parents want this case to be about a ‘gun,’ it is, rather, a case about classroom disruption from a student who has had a long history of disruptive behavior and for whom the school had attempted a list of other strategies and interventions before resorting to a suspension.”

Nussbaum wrote that he was convinced that “had the student chewed his cereal bar into the shape of a cat and ran around the room, disrupting the classroom and making ‘meow’ cat sounds, the result would have been exactly the same.”

Teacher Jessica Fultz claims the suspension wasn’t about a so-called "Pop-Tart gun," but rather a daily pattern of escalating classroom disruption and even violence by Josh.

Fultz also claims the boy had threatened classmates and made shooting noises, chewing the gun shape with his breakfast food more than once.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Even Cool Pope Frank can't get a decent passport picture.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Type P(ope)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Does the Pope get dual citizenship with Argentina and the Vatican?

BgRdMchne fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 22, 2015

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

BgRdMchne posted:

Does the Pope get duel citizenship with Argentina and the Vatican?

Duelling is still illegal, so no.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You sure about that caption Reuters?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barometer posted:

Duelling is still illegal, so no.
Not even in Paraguay, contrary to the urban legend.

I bet the Pope could declare dueling legal in the Vatican if he wanted though.

Pope Urban IV:

Under Pope Urban, a Jew accused or accuser could engage in a Jewish duel to confirm the status of the Jew so dueled, in order to resolve the duality of the accusation, although this may also be an Urban legend.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BgRdMchne posted:

Does the Pope get dual citizenship with Argentina and the Vatican?

Yes and no. Yes in that as King of Vatican City he is automatically a citizen and can of course issue himself a passport, but no he isn't required to.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

You sure about that caption Reuters?

I think the "R" means (on the) right, not Republican, if that's what you were getting at. I don't think that it was necessary, but it's not wrong :shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0b11_story.html

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LongSack posted:

I think the "R" means (on the) right, not Republican, if that's what you were getting at. I don't think that it was necessary, but it's not wrong :shrug:

Well I wouldn't have been able to figure out which was President Obama and which was the pope without that cue.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

withak posted:

Well I wouldn't have been able to figure out which was President Obama and which was the pope without that cue.

Political analysis by people who know nothing about politics is always* amusing.

*Is not true when you're actually speaking to them.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

More recently, several high-ranking officers have filed whistle­blower complaints, alleging that the Guard’s leadership is plagued by cronyism, racism and a “toxic” command climate, among other problems. State and federal officials have opened independent investigations. Legislators have pledged to hold hearings. “It’s like the mob,” said Brian K.

aka New Jersey.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'm just asking questions

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Meanwhile, on 4chan's video game board.

Are screencaps images? Not really. Actual image inbound.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

I'm sorry but if you didn't like Terminator 2 you're objectively wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9hL93HPMI

• Locked thread