Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
haven't they specifically said the dog can't die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
In Fallout 3, the biggest threat to my companions were those drat Yao-Guai. They would always come up from behind and butcher my companions before I knew what was happening. At least 95% of my companion deaths were from those goddamn bears. I've even had Yao-Guai try to kill random quest givers WHILE THEY WERE GIVING ME THE QUEST. Seriously, I met a guy with a broken down Mr Handy, I fixed it and turned around to claim my reward and a yao-guai was chasing him down trying to eat him.

Shot that drat bear into so many pieces it was like I had taken bloody mess.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rincewind posted:

haven't they specifically said the dog can't die

His exact quote in the video just posted is "No-one plays the game, the dog dies, they go "gently caress it, I'll just keep playing."." It's a reload state, so they just stopped pretending and made active companions so they can't be killed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Boogaleeboo posted:

His exact quote in the video just posted is "No-one plays the game, the dog dies, they go "gently caress it, I'll just keep playing."." It's a reload state, so they just stopped pretending and made active companions so they can't be killed.

Which is presuming a lot since, in those instances, I just cut the dog's head off and carried it around like a memento that also doubled as a whimsical satchel. Nothing is wasted in the wasteland.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The dog can't die in gameplay because he'll be killed off in the final cutscene. Merry Christmas, kids.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Boogaleeboo posted:

While I largely agree with him, it would still be nice to have a toggle to give a subsequent playthrough more of a challenge or w/e. Moot point though because I'm sure companion death will be modded in.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

popewiles posted:

While I largely agree with him, it would still be nice to have a toggle to give a subsequent playthrough more of a challenge or w/e. Moot point though because I'm sure companion death will be modded in.

Oh man, its going to be funny to watch the people angry if there's no hardcore mode from New Vegas in this game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'd be shocked if they didn't offer companion death as a menu toggle default or even hardcore mode more generally, but yeah that's "day 1 mod" material. I usually prefer it if they can die since "RIP dumb companion, death by landmines and tripwires" is more interesting than "uh, well, guess you're my disarming device and distraction now". It's not like you care about them overly much either way, especially not if you're not even using them as pack-mules--why wouldn't you console yourself more carry capacity rather than exploit companions for it.

Dogs are another thing though. Video game peoples have dumb faces/animations and are more fun to watch die from stupidity than interact with, but video game dogs are close enough to real. If I can build the dog a doghouse or let him live inside a house he's cool, otherwise it's either "how long can I keep him alive" or "yeah, not going to recruit you". I guess the easiest way to explain this is "you're a normal person if you enjoyed laughing at sims struggle to climb out of the pool after you deleted the ladder, but you're a monster if you killed the pets somehow".

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Crabtree posted:

Oh man, its going to be funny to watch the people angry if there's no hardcore mode from New Vegas in this game.

It'll get modded in eventually once someone writes a script extender.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Decus posted:

I'd be shocked if they didn't offer companion death as a menu toggle default or even hardcore mode more generally, but yeah that's "day 1 mod" material. I usually prefer it if they can die since "RIP dumb companion, death by landmines and tripwires" is more interesting than "uh, well, guess you're my disarming device and distraction now". It's not like you care about them overly much either way, especially not if you're not even using them as pack-mules--why wouldn't you console yourself more carry capacity rather than exploit companions for it.

Dogs are another thing though. Video game peoples have dumb faces/animations and are more fun to watch die from stupidity than interact with, but video game dogs are close enough to real. If I can build the dog a doghouse or let him live inside a house he's cool, otherwise it's either "how long can I keep him alive" or "yeah, not going to recruit you". I guess the easiest way to explain this is "you're a normal person if you enjoyed laughing at sims struggle to climb out of the pool after you deleted the ladder, but you're a monster if you killed the pets somehow".

I actually cared about the New Vegas companions tho

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Have Bethesda said anything about having more than one companion?

More specifically having Dogmeat with you and being able to have somebody else, like the other games.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I always reload when a buddy died but I prefer them not to be immortal because its fun to completely gently caress up a combat encounter then go back and be more clever. I'm ok with it for the doggie though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TontoCorazon posted:

Have Bethesda said anything about having more than one companion?

More specifically having Dogmeat with you and being able to have somebody else, like the other games.

Not that I've seen, but I would speculate that it's at least the dog +1. The dog seems to have a lot of custom stuff coded into it to make it act like Elizabeth from BS:I, and will fetch stuff for you, stare at your lovingly, and occasionally react to script prompts. I'd imagine that you're probably supposed to play with it throughout the game.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I can't wait for online to get insanely horny for the dog and then at the end you find out you're its dad

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I am not anticipating the cleavage.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Cuddles posted:

Every time somebody mentions "lazy devs" it makes me unreasonably angry because anybody who says that has no idea about the complexity, pressures and hard work involved in writing software to a deadline.

I am sorry you are upset about people who signed up to work in an industry without doing the bare minimum of research as to how that industry operates.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I am going to shoot the dog when I see it in the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sorry, reading that post back I didn't make myself clear and I would hate for anyone to misunderstand. Let me be clearer: i am going to kill the dog.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Instead of playing fetch with the dog it throws currency and ammo at you.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm going to tell the dog to wait in the middle of my town and let it feast on radiers. Mostly because after playing MGSV dogmeat will be a huge disappointment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Boogaleeboo posted:

Which really applies to a lot of bethesda's game design choices. I'm kind of surprised they decided to open the equipment options for fallout 4 up again. Being able to equip more than four slots at a time seems like something that would confuse too many players.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Delsaber posted:

The dog can't die in gameplay because he'll be killed off in the final cutscene. Merry Christmas, kids.

and now Todd completes the cycle of literally becoming Peter Molyneux.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man Whore posted:

and now Todd completes the cycle of literally becoming Peter Molyneux.

Nah. He'll only reach that point when you're faced with an option of 3 "endings"

Ending 1: get your dog back
Ending 2: get a giant pile of money that is absolutely worthless because you broke the game's economy 4 hours in.
Ending 3: get a nice thank-you note from all the people you never met but apparently saved.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

2house2fly posted:

Sorry, reading that post back I didn't make myself clear and I would hate for anyone to misunderstand. Let me be clearer: i am going to kill the dog.

Same

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

This reminds me of back in the day when people would grind up levels in order to utterly destroy everyone in front of them. Well there was one game (I can't remember, but it wasn't Oblivion) where if you played the game more or less normally you'd be fine, but it had level scaling so if you grinded up a whole bunch then you would have a terrible time.

A lot of people got mad that the devs were "being bullshit" and making a "too difficult" game.

I dunno if you mean it was another game that had the same problem but oblivion definitely had this problem with level scaling making it lovely and busted.

There's a main quest line quest where you get a group of NPC buddies, except they don't scale with you so if you've been side questing all the enemies are super powered murder machines and your NPC friends basically just melt leaving you to try and clear something tuned for a big group of allies by yourself.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I dunno if you mean it was another game that had the same problem but oblivion definitely had this problem with level scaling making it lovely and busted.

There's a main quest line quest where you get a group of NPC buddies, except they don't scale with you so if you've been side questing all the enemies are super powered murder machines and your NPC friends basically just melt leaving you to try and clear something tuned for a big group of allies by yourself.

And in Skyrim you could gain so many levels just from crafting that poo poo like second-tier dragons and drauger bosses would start showing up everywhere, despite the fact you hadn't actually improved your combat abilities at all, turning every other fight into a massive loving slog at best.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I have to wonder how many idiots who fell into the easy alchemy levelup trap in oblivion also fell for that same poo poo with smithing in Skyrim.

"Heh, I can just abuse this to gain a ton of levels, haha Bethesda you're so stupid! WHY CAN'T I KILL ANYTHING AND I DIE IN ONE HIT BETHESDA YOU'RE SO poo poo"

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 22, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
:v: I ground up my alchemy and I can't kill anything now!

Are you using poisons and buffing potions?

:v: No, why would I bother with that?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

2house2fly posted:

* npc has joined your party *

Good dog! Sit boy! Wait here, I'll only be a few minutes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There should be a vault for dogs.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Then you'll love my fallout fan fiction.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Vault 009 except the first 0 has a hard edge on one side.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's no point in a companion being unkillable if they still break stealth. At the very least the game should keep me treated as hidden so my companion can just go unconscious like an idiot, or more like The Last Of Us where the companion doesn't count against stealth checks.

Which is kind of a shame because some companions seem like they'd have interesting side quests. I wish they had taken that into account and just let me do their side quests without having to grind their reputation.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nasgate posted:

So don't make a house dog fight a robot made for killing.
Dogmentation is the obvious answer here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure it was FF8 like someone said earlier.

Magmarashi posted:

I have to wonder how many idiots who fell into the easy alchemy levelup trap in oblivion also fell for that same poo poo with smithing in Skyrim.

"Heh, I can just abuse this to gain a ton of levels, haha Bethesda you're so stupid! WHY CAN'T I KILL ANYTHING AND I DIE IN ONE HIT BETHESDA YOU'RE SO poo poo"

Smithing took way too many materials to actually be useful, at least for me. When I found out (maybe with a mod?) that iron deposits regenerate in mines, I could see how you could do it though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Wow, it was so long ago I played 3, I had forgotten about most companions, including Dogmeat.

I'm still playing Fallout Shelter. Taking it slow, nearly at 90 residents now.

Has anyone figured out what endurance is good for, is it for making it longer in the wasteland or something? More health?

Also, does charisma actually make a difference in living quarters? Does it make babies happen faster or something?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

After playing any Fallout game with a dog in it, I'm not sure why wouldn't they want unkillable dogs.

Other companions are still bad since instead of them dying, they kill you.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Wow, it was so long ago I played 3, I had forgotten about most companions, including Dogmeat.

I'm still playing Fallout Shelter. Taking it slow, nearly at 90 residents now.

Has anyone figured out what endurance is good for, is it for making it longer in the wasteland or something? More health?

Also, does charisma actually make a difference in living quarters? Does it make babies happen faster or something?

Endurance is used for the Nuka-Cola Bottler, which makes both food and water. It's also one of the best stats to have for exploring the wasteland. Every stat will give it's own advantage, but 10 in Endurance will make them take no radiation letting them stay out much longer.

I heard it also lets them have more HP which is good when defending your vault from Deathclaws but I've no idea if that's true, as I have two 3-rooms so attackers have to go through 12 people all with flamethrowers/fatmans to get to the first lift to access the rest of the base.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

After playing any Fallout game with a dog in it, I'm not sure why wouldn't they want unkillable dogs.

Other companions are still bad since instead of them dying, they kill you.

I kinda get your grief, but at the same time, this is why videos games have gotten so drat boring. No consequences for anything that happens in game, it's all load the game. I recognize there's rogue-likes and that stuff, but I kinda wish there was a medium between risk and reward only.

• Locked thread