Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smoothrich posted:

unfunny stiffs hacks spergs dorks criminals communist jews and weirdos.

But enough about my last barbecue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rocks posted:

Trump to announce national security team soon:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/donald-trump-national-security-2016-213899

Between this and his tax plan, the next few weeks will be gloriously Trump-filled. Burn it all to the ground...

Allow me to recommend #TrumpNationalSecurityTeam.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smoothrich posted:

Are you the latest convert to Democrats/Liberals 4 Trump 2016? I'm with you buddy if Biden doesn't run. I've wanted Biden to declare a candicacy for the past year because I would feel enthusiastic about supporting him but now that Trump has napalmed his Republican opposition I'm giddy thinking about Biden Vs Trump in a general. Their debates wouldn't even need a moderator just a bartender to keep pouring them whiskey as they shoot the poo poo. They are both animated improvising talkers who go for laughs and insults and probably agree on 90 percent of issues anyways so they would probably have to stick to making fun of each other and pumping up the crowd.

Not only do I think Biden is the most qualified potential nominee to be President and would probably do the best job working with Congress and our international allies, he's probably the only one who could hang with Trump's loose aggrandizing demeanor compared to the Republican and Democratic field of unfunny stiffs hacks spergs dorks criminals communist jews and weirdos. However Biden's edge would be that he can actually turn off the fireworks at a moment's notice, stare at the camera as if he's looking into the voters' eyes and make America cry by talking heart 2 heart about poo poo. Trump is just a clown in comparison. They both got big balls but Biden's got a big heart that would take him All The Way.

I would and will vote for Biden if he runs, but holy poo poo these words make me hate him a little on sheer principle. You are terrible.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Big Balls, Big Heart, Can't Lose

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Why winnowing matters:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Romeny is gonna reenter the race any day now to save jeb from himself.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Why winnowing matters:

Along the same line:

e:

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 22, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

JT Jag posted:

7% would be really arbitrary and Cruz would make a huge stink. I wouldn't be shocked by 5% though. It's a round number.
Weeell, it could be framed as a "top 5" kind of thing.

Where are some cool polls with second choices?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cruz being Cruz on Colbert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKx...Da3WnuRYw1aDIqA

quote:

“It’s a matter of compromising,” Colbert said. “Will you be willing to compromise with the other side?” Cruz did not say yes, though he did concede that there was “nothing diabolical” about the other side. Instead, he repeated his commitment to fighting for certain principles: “Live within our means, stop bankrupting our kids and grandkids, and follow the Constitution.” “And no gay marriage,” Colbert shot back. Cruz responded that the Constitution reserves the question of marriage to the states, but Colbert again challenged him. “It doesn’t mention marriage in the Constitution,” he said to loud applause.

When a few audience members began to boo the White House hopeful, Colbert asked for their respect and gave Cruz the last word. “The 10th Amendment states that if the Constitution doesn’t mention it, it’s a question for the states,” said Cruz, a Harvard law graduate who once clerked for Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist. “I don’t think we should entrust governing our society to five unelected lawyers in Washington.” On his last line, Cruz received some applause, which largely eluded him throughout the interview. “If you want to win an issue, go to the ballot box and win at the ballot box,” he said. “That’s the way the Constitution was designed.”

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Has anyone ever explained why gay marriage is a states issue but miscegenation is not?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't watch tv news but is anyone calling the GOP candidates on their awful, frightening rhetoric. I see some of it in the print media.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He knows he is wrong what a disgusting slimeball.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Brannock posted:

I can't really find much to disagree with there. But, uhh, problematic, and.. uhh... sexist...

I don't get why you go to the mat so much for the huge racist running for president

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“I don’t think we should entrust governing our society to five unelected lawyers in Washington.”

Isn't that pretty much exactly what the Supreme Court should literally be doing? Combined with:

quote:

“If you want to win an issue, go to the ballot box and win at the ballot box,” he said. “That’s the way the Constitution was designed.”

is again more-or-less what happened: a politician has a stand on a particular issue, they get voted into office, they advocate for their stance on the issue, and you get

A. legislation that represents that politician's view on the issue (plus or minus whatever they had to give away to get enough votes to have the legislation passed

B. enforcement of the legislation via the Executive branch

C. a judiciary that evaluates whether or not the legislation is valid as far as a governing law of our current society

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's no use arguing. Cruz knows what he is saying is bull poo poo. He is just moral and ethics free and will spout dominionist nonsense for money.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zelder posted:

I don't get why you go to the mat so much for the huge racist running for president

like, the fourth quote is about how black people are inherently lazy and you just make a glib comment about problematic language. why

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

"The opinions of the Supreme Court don't count if you don't agree with them"
-James Madison or something

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Why winnowing matters:

Isn't this a bit dangerous if he is already $150k down in donations? He is recruiting people from a campaign that just imploded from lack of direct funds into a campaign that desperately needs funds and seems unlikely to get them.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
In the vein of the Cruz thing, after all of the "We wouldn't have this deal with Iran under Reagan's watch" rhetoric I'd like to see someone point out that Reagan actually secretly sold weapons to Iran. You don't even need to muddy the waters with bringing up the "to illegally fund Nicaraugan paramilitary death squads" part

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Anal Papist posted:

Isn't this a bit dangerous if he is already $150k down in donations? He is recruiting people from a campaign that just imploded from lack of direct funds into a campaign that desperately needs funds and seems unlikely to get them.

should we really be concerned?

"isn't this a bit dangerous" :ohdear: to Ted fuckin Cruz

instead of

"this is dangerous and its gonna be hilarious" :allears: to Ted fuckin Cruz

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anal Papist posted:

:ssh: Just let them keep pissing on the electric fence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn't Reagan also deal with Iran to get the hostages released.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

euphronius posted:

Likely sold them arms to do it too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm 37 and I barely remember Reagan. How much longer will he be their brand.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

euphronius posted:

Allegedly. I don't think any definitive proof of the October Surprise conspiracy ever came out, at least that I know of.

Not to get too Freepy, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Lich had an agreement with them.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Democrats tried to pump life into the dessicated corpse of the New Deal Coalition as late as 1976, so...oh wow. We are as far from 1984 as 1976 was from 1944.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

euphronius posted:

Forever. Eisenhower is too far back, and the only other recent Republican Presidents are Nixon and the Bushes. Saint Reagan is the only one they can safely latch on to.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
"Reagan got 52 hostages for some guns, Obama is giving them nukes and couldn't even get 4!!!"

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

euphronius posted:

In the words of the man himself:

quote:

A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not.

Yeah, he definitely did, but more importantly he didn't feel like he did, so it was probably fine.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
New Morning Consult poll, taken post-debate:

quote:

Trump takes 32 percent of the vote among self-identified Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, according to a new Morning Consult tracking poll — far ahead of retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson’s 12 percent and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush’s 11 percent.

Fiorina finishes in fourth position, at 6 percent, just ahead of Sens. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Ted Cruz (Texas), who clock in with 5 percent each.

quote:

On the Democratic side, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for the first time has fallen below the 50 percent mark. She maintains a strong lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) — 49 percent to 28 percent — though her 21-point lead is at its lowest point since Morning Consult began surveying the Democratic field.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
To be fair, Reagan traded arms and in return got returned hostages AND funded anti-communist terrorists with the proceeds. What a deal! If only there was a negotiator of such skill running for office today...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bryter posted:

In the words of the man himself:

Yeah, he definitely did, but more importantly he didn't feel like he did, so it was probably fine.

Your conflating the two Iran issues. Reagan was all up in Iran.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Xenophon posted:

I think I'm starting to agree with whoever first said that Trump is going to the Romney of 2016 where the 2nd rate candidates rise and fall beneath him, getting close to taking them down only to see their wax wings melt.

The biggest difference though is that Romney was seen as eventual "well he's good enough I suppose" candidate, where as people actually WANT to vote for Trump.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AhhYes posted:

Has anyone ever explained why gay marriage is a states issue but miscegenation is not?

Time. Most arguments against gay marriage are the same as those made against miscegenation. In a few years time gay marriage will be as grudgingly accepted by the right as black people marrying white people. Time is always the one thing that ends the godless usurpation of our sacred country. Actually lovely opinions like Dredd Scott stand the test of time, lambasted forever after. Controversial opinions like Loving and Obergefell lose their opposition over similar time frames.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think I'm starting to agree with whoever first said that Trump is going to the Romney of 2016 where the 2nd rate candidates rise and fall beneath him, getting close to taking them down only to see their wax wings melt.

The biggest difference though is that Romney was seen as eventual "well he's good enough I suppose" candidate, where as people actually WANT to vote for Trump.

I hope this is true because gently caress Fiorina.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

euphronius posted:

Your conflating the two Iran issues. Reagan was all up in Iran.

My bad.

It's pretty funny that a man for whom "that time he negotiated with Iran" could refer to so many things has become the poster boy for not negotiating with Iran.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gyges posted:

Time. Most arguments against gay marriage are the same as those made against miscegenation. In a few years time gay marriage will be as grudgingly accepted by the right as black people marrying white people. Time is always the one thing that ends the godless usurpation of our sacred country. Actually lovely opinions like Dredd Scott stand the test of time, lambasted forever after. Controversial opinions like Loving and Obergefell lose their opposition over similar time frames.

And yet there's still a portion of the country that has a freakout any time a commercial features a white woman and a black man, with even the slightest hint that they may have had sex in the past (even in a marriage!) or might have sex in the future!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Pinterest Mom posted:

🔥🔥🔥 take alert

Someone's been watching The West Wing. And, predictably, missed the point.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Xenophon posted:

I am surprised Carly didn't bump higher up in the polls. Also, it looks like Carson's loss in the polls was spread out among the other candidates a good bit.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

euphronius posted:

It's no use arguing. Cruz knows what he is saying is bull poo poo. He is just moral and ethics free and will spout dominionist nonsense for money.

Ted Cruz is amazing if you view him for what he is, which is an earnestly religious conservative Texan-Cuban-Canadian-American super genius lawyer prodigy turned into professional troll of the utmost cunning and ambition. He recites on the Senate floor satirically rewritten Cicero speeches calling Obama a tyrant just as naturally as reading Dr. Seuss books to his daughters on C-SPAN for enough hours to somehow give hundreds of other House Republicans the bright idea to shut down the government like a bunch of sucker plebs. Ted Cruz instigated a government shut down just so he could blame it on President Obama and the Republican leadership's incompetence at both being unable to avoid a shutdown and not shutting down the government hard enough for Conservative beliefs simultaneously, that is some master level politicking. I don't even think he was in the Senate for a year before he derailed the entire governmental process, he's a boss. Most people don't even know he's the guy that made the argument to the Supreme Court that gave Bush the 2000 election. He also won the largest settlement in history for someone falsely accused of murder who was on Death Row for decades after appealing his case all the way to the Supreme Court himself like a true Defender of Liberty.

I was looking for a video of an interview he gave before he became a Senator where he spoke with shocking eloquence about his devout faith as a Christian and belief in his Bible taking a backseat to our shared freedoms and the American Constitution, he seemed very sincere in how he respects all religions, is tolerant of gays and other minorities, and feels obligated by both his Christian values and legal training 2 Serve and Protect the disenfranchised, poor etc but unsurprisingly all I can find is the past year of him pandering to Southern Evangelical primary voters for his long term Presidential campaign scheme (which is probably to become Trump's VP now lol) which makes him sound like a total zealot dbag instead.

Instead here's another favorite Cruz video of mine, where he trolls an entire room of Middle Eastern Christians by shaming them for their hypocritical anti-Semitic Israel hating bigotry and proudly leaves the stage to a chorus of boos within 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ZVihACwQ0

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 22, 2015

• Locked thread