Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
If you're looking for a first bass, it's hard to beat a Precision Bass. They're incredibly versatile, easy to control, and nearly every company makes a P-bass clone. They're balanced, they have the perfect scale length, and they allow you to play with trademarked Precision.

Squiers aren't bad, but for a little more you can get a MIM Fender P-bass. But the Ibanez equivalent is probably OK, too. Honestly, just play a few basses and get the one you like the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Squier Vintage Modified basses are very good and right in your price range.

Squier Classic Vibes cost a little more but are really excellent. At least as good as any standard Mexican fender I've played.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Bill Posters posted:

Squier Vintage Modified basses are very good and right in your price range.

Squier Classic Vibes cost a little more but are really excellent. At least as good as any standard Mexican fender I've played.

On a related note, how are the Squier fretless basses?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ibntumart posted:

On a related note, how are the Squier fretless basses?

I've got a Squier VM fretless Jazz and it's comfortable to play and has a very well balanced sound. If I had to pick a complaint it's that the bridge feels a little flimsy, but it has never given me trouble when actually adjusting the setup.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So I've been tinkering with the idea of getting a bass for home recording (metal, punk, etc and will be played DI into a computer) and since I play guitars in B standard and E standard I reluctantly admitted that my best bet is a 5 string. I used to have a bass, but I gave it to a friend after graduating from college. I'm looking for something inexpensive that I can modify or tweak to play how I like it. Also current buzz is that the squiers are a lot better than they used to be, and I don't give a poo poo about the name on the guitar.

So I'm thinking of getting this thing:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-deluxe-jazz-bass-active-v-5-string-electric-bass-guitar

And replacing the pickups with EMGs at some point. Also I'm probably going to use the DR Marcus Miller 5 string steel set since I loved the way those felt and sounded when I would tune my old bass down to C or B. You guys know of anything bad about this idea for what I want to do with it?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I ended up stopping at Sam Ash today and they had the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special in red. Thing sounded lovely, played nice, felt comfortable with the narrower J bass neck.

Played a short scale model and it just felt kinda weird. Also tried the Epiphone with the SG style body and it was OK, but did not feel as good and some of the finishes on it felt cheaper.

After taxes and all I ended up getting the Bass, a 15W Hartke practice amp, Fender branded gig bag, couple cables, and the 2 year warranty/setup package for a total of around $340.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I've said it many times in this thread, but screw the eb-0, it's absolutely horrible compared to everything else.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I think it's kinda cool that whatever factory in Indonesia is making the Squier line these days apparently knows what they're doing. Can't really say the same about wherever Gibson has the Epiphones made.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Oh my god. I just bought this:

2015 Rickenbacker 4003.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

How do those pickups compare to the stock ones?

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

js86 posted:

Oh my god. I just bought this:

2015 Rickenbacker 4003.

I ask my wife if I can buy one exactly like it every single day. One of these days she'll slip and say yes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Chimbley Sweep posted:

I ask my wife if I can buy one exactly like it every single day. One of these days she'll slip and say yes.

Will there be a little trail of cartoon dust clouds leading to the computer/music store?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Chimbley Sweep posted:

why do you need to ask your wife if you can buy a new bass dude

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dyna Soar posted:

Financial responsibility is pretty important in a marriage.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Financial responsibility is pretty important in a marriage.

So is independence.

js86
Jul 22, 2012

DrChu posted:

How do those pickups compare to the stock ones?

I like them a lot. No unwanted feedback and it sounds like a classic Rick. Very happy with them.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
$1,500 is a pretty steep impulse purchase by most standards. Also beep boop probability of joke ≥ 80%
I hope the dude likes his new Ric!

I think I've managed to get the stingray setup properly, lowered the pickup so there's less warbling of the notes when I play. We're still not 100%. Going to give it a little more time, and if I can't get it sorted out then I'm burning everything down and going back to passive basses.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

Dyna Soar posted:

Well, I don't actually ask my wife everyday if i can buy a new bass. My point was more that it's a nice bass in a nice color.

I did just pick one of these up today though
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassEGLBlk

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Kinda weird the one they used for those photos doesn't have the 70's pickup spacing. Is the one you received like that?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Grooms just got off the stage and I've never wanted a Bass VI more in my life. So goddamn versatile in a 3 piece. Of course the dude playing it is a better bassist AND guitarist than I can ever imagine being, that helps.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I spend a lot of my week promoting gigs, and I find a good way to do it is join relevant groups on Facebook, so join a local music group, local events group, local offers group, local items for sale groups, things like that.
Also let posters do your work for you as well as fliers, poster the venue if possible.
Then I use Twitter to send @whoever will retweet my stuff, I keep a list of people who I KNOW will retweet and I always hit them first - these contacts can take a while to build up but are worth it.

This is way, way late, but thanks for the great effortpost. It was really useful!

Got another question though. Anyone here shifted from bass to keyboards? It seems a lot of people I know, know how to play both. Is it a easy transition if you're already somewhat versed in bass? What would I be in for if I want to at least be competent in playing keyboard? I'm starting from a knowledge of absolute bupkis.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Dyna Soar posted:

You gotta build up the arsenal and after that it's all about trades.

At least that's what I did :v:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Remulak posted:

Grooms just got off the stage and I've never wanted a Bass VI more in my life. So goddamn versatile in a 3 piece. Of course the dude playing it is a better bassist AND guitarist than I can ever imagine being, that helps.

Everyone should own a VI of some kind. I finally got round to ordering the upgrade parts for my Squier. Fender US Tremolo with lock, Staytrem bridge, a fresh set of Labella's and an SF300 superfuzz clone for cheap + nasty high gain doom.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Verizian posted:

Everyone should own a VI of some kind.
I just made a Cl trade of my sweet telemaster for a jazzmaster baritone. It's 30" so I can probably go lower than the current a to a.

Nice player, once I shimmed the neck.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

After I put the labella flats and staytrem bridge the VI went from lacklustre to amazing. If only they came out of the factory with a better bridge and a thicker gauge.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Remulak posted:

I just made a Cl trade of my sweet telemaster for a jazzmaster baritone. It's 30" so I can probably go lower than the current a to a.

Nice player, once I shimmed the neck.

Vintage Modified in Antigua? Yeah it's pretty much a VI with a weird fixed bridge and snappier pickups. I think the stock string gauge is the same as the VM VI too. I know they're way too thin on the VI.

UncleBlazer posted:

After I put the labella flats and staytrem bridge the VI went from lacklustre to amazing. If only they came out of the factory with a better bridge and a thicker gauge.

Yeah I always liked mine but felt there was something wrong. It improved massively when I changed the strings and muted them with a piece of velcro outside the bridge/nut but even then it's just slightly off with wild metallic clangs in the harmonics, probably made worse because I bought Labella Stainless rounds the first time. Health problems and learning how to actually play came before dumping another £100 into parts.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

How is the action on yours? Mine is super high but I'm going to have to wait until pay day to have it looked at.

The whole instrument seems to be doing it out of love. Don't think I've ever had such a pain in the arse bass before.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

UncleBlazer posted:

How is the action on yours? Mine is super high but I'm going to have to wait until pay day to have it looked at.
Mine was crazy high until I shimmed the neck, now it's perfect.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Remulak posted:

Mine was crazy high until I shimmed the neck, now it's perfect.

Hmm. You've convinced me. I'll have a go at shimming it, doesn't look too hard. What did you put under the neck?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Got my Staytrem VI bridge yesterday and SF300 today. First results are impressive as swapping the bridge+intonation took considerably less time than just intonating the old bridge. As for the fuzz it kinda sucks with guitar but sounds much better with the bass or baritone tunings. fuzz 1 makes my VI sound massive, neighbours were banging on the walls even with the amp volume rolled down. Fuzz 1.5 was louder and harsher so skipped over it for Fuzz 2 which works better at residential levels but it's a typical scooped sound. British stoner doom to Swedish buzzsaw tones.depending on how much treble and gain you feed it.

Downside is it's a Behringer with a cheap plastic case but for £15 I'll use it until it breaks then rip the guts out, add a few mods and stick it in a metal enclosure.

Now to wait a week or two for the new tailpiece vibrato and strings. I'll look into neck shims too as the Staytrem bridge feels a lot higher, though I might be able to lower the action by adjusting the truss rod 1/6th of a turn.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

UncleBlazer posted:

Hmm. You've convinced me. I'll have a go at shimming it, doesn't look too hard. What did you put under the neck?
3M wet dry sandpaper, 80 grit. About an inch. I've always used sandpaper, the idea is it doesn't compress over time, unlike, say, a business card. No idea if this is bullshit.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Remulak posted:

3M wet dry sandpaper, 80 grit. About an inch. I've always used sandpaper, the idea is it doesn't compress over time, unlike, say, a business card. No idea if this is bullshit.

Over time wouldn't the rough edge of the paper just dig into the wood instead?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You're the doctor I'm just a guitar player.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
What books can people recommend that include a good dose of theory? Something where I can come out learning how to actually identify what to play with chords or what notes are in the chords. Or what scales to play etc.

I think I need something that I can study along with helpful exercises. Maybe I should find a decent teacher.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I have found the scottsbasslessons is good for theory stuff taught in a practical way and he has lots of different lessons. The membership has been well worth it for me (and it being paid is extra motivation to really use it, at least in my case)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

StudyBass.com

The newer layout is... weird as hell but once you find your way through it, it's a nicely structured approach to learning how music works and what you're doing in it. It lists songs that use the concept each lesson is about, so you can check them out in the real world and play over them yourself

Also good fretboard learning exercise, and I like his tab idea too (using note names instead of fret numbers, so you have to know where that note is on the string, and you start to absorb the notes you're using and their relationship to what's happening in the song)

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I didn't need to shim my VI, I didn't realise I could adjust the staytrem height :downs:

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

So a friend just moved overseas and left me a Squier VM Jaguar bass aka this thing, not the guitar:

It's in a bit of a state, but I'm getting it set up properly so I can use it as an alternate for gigging.

Question is, what kind of strings should I put on it (and on my Fender Jazz)? The Jazz currently has just straight up Ernie Ball stainless steel medium roundwounds (.050 - .105), but I'm thinking of getting something with a warmer tone so that I can stick heavier strings on the Jag. I'm playing a mix of garagey rock and pop style stuff at the moment so I suppose it doesn't matter TOO much, but I've not really explored the possibilities of different sets of strings before and I'd like to get a better idea of what's out there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's a short-scale version of that, you'll probably want to look up model numbers or get a measuring tape out and make sure which you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

baka kaba posted:

There's a short-scale version of that, you'll probably want to look up model numbers or get a measuring tape out and make sure which you have

It's definitely the one I've got pictured there.

generally I prefer fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 10, 2015