Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Also, lol at the people posting opinionated thoughts on the game/story based off of trailers and stuff. Just play it you nerds, don't post reddit links to a plot synoposis written by an obvious teenager/pre-teen typical reddit user. If nothing else, go watch a youtube playthrough or something, but its just so silly to see people posting opinions on the game based off of reviews and trailers and internet posts online. Actually play the game, or at least watch it somewhere, then post your thoughts on it afterwards. Its a pretty simple sequence of order of events.

Also the idea of playing/not playing SOMA based on whether "they learned something from Machine of Pigs" is so stupid, the games are literally made by different people. Is your decision to play SOMA also affected by your thoughts on Five Nights at Freddies, Outlast, Everbody's Gone to the Rapture, Dear Esther, and the movie franchise Saw? It makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
How long did it take you to beat it?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
6 hours or so.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
What is PT?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Evfedu posted:

What is PT?

What is paradise?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So It Goes posted:

6 hours or so.

Did you rush it or is that just how long it was? Because man that is barely more than Black Plague

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Did you rush it or is that just how long it was? Because man that is barely more than Black Plague

No I didn't rush it. I'm kinda surprised that you would be surprised at that length. The game isn't $60 and horror games are never that long. I feel like Amnesia was pretty much the same length. Something like Outlast is shorter.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 22, 2015

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well this sucks. I was so hyped for SOMA and realized I could actually play it before having to go to work... Only to be met with everything appearing and disappearing as I looked around. Walls, floors, objects, didn't matter, they would pop into and exit existence between moments, no matter what I did with my graphics settings. I guess I'll just need to see a lp later, since the game is pretty much unplayable for me.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

What video card do you have and are new drivers available for it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Evfedu posted:

What is PT?

A excellent horror fame that was a teaser for qhat probably would have been the best horror game ever made by anyone at any time.

Later Konami took it off PSN and removed the ability to redownload it so I hope you know someone that has it installed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

A excellent horror fame that was a teaser for qhat probably would have been the best horror game ever made by anyone at any time.

Later Konami took it off PSN and removed the ability to redownload it so I hope you know someone that has it installed

The whole "if you downloaded it once you have it forever so we can't get rid of it off the psn servers" is pretty weird. I can see it being a mark of pride sometime down the line

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Having a problem in Theta station someone who's finished the game can maybe help me with.

I got the ARK from the infirmary and put it into the freight lift, but nothing I do makes the drat thing move. I've tried clicking every button on all three floors and nothing happens. Is there a power switch I've missed?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Well I was all set to buy this on PS4 but apparently it won't go live on PSN for another 4-6 hours or so for some asinine reason, so I guess Sony changed my mind. Now I just have to sit through a long download on Steam. Ugh...

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I had to delete my pre-load of SOMA because the decryption and final gig just wouldn't go through, and now it's insisting I still have 5 gigs installed and won't do anything. :catstare:

I just want to play this game already dammit. Has anyone had any issues like this?

Edit: Might have fixed it. There were 3 gigs worth of files stashed in downloading, deleted those and now it looks like it's installing normally.

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 22, 2015

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The whole "if you downloaded it once you have it forever so we can't get rid of it off the psn servers" is pretty weird. I can see it being a mark of pride sometime down the line

Actually, with PT, if you downloaded it once and deleted it from your PS4, you CAN'T redownload it. PT is totally gone from PSN now, and cannot be re-acquired. Or at least in the states, I dunno about Europeland or whatever. I heard that even eBay wasn't happy with people trying to sell their PS4s with PT loaded on them.

It's a shame though, it was really cool. Though the last "puzzle" in PT was super annoying gimmicky stuff that no sane person would ever figure out alone, but the rest of the demo was totally rad.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 22, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finished SOMA, I clocked out at 9.5 hours and I don't think I went slow or rushed anything in particular. It was a really cool game and it did something completely new for the genre that I love it for. People who have been very negative about the game and the supposed "twist" need to sit down and play the game. SOMA provokes the player into considering the most uncomfortable aspects of our own mortality and what it really means to be human, or even just a person. It's thoroughly enjoyable psychological horror and stands in heavy contrast with other horror games that rely on atmosphere and jump scares alone.

All that said I'm surprised very little of the previous trailer gameplay became relevant. I was waiting for the brain in a jar to show up but it never did.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Blockhouse posted:

your post consisted almost entirely of a link to a rambling reddit rear end in a top hat who spells out the entire plot sans spoiler tags and goes IT'S poo poo 0/10

hard to do any kind of discussion about that
i didnt say it was a GOOD post

Anyone play the System Shock Enhanced Edition from GOG yet? I loved SS2 but the gameplay in the original made it impossible for me to get in to

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

the perfect length for a horror game is about that long.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
A lot of things about Eternal Darkness haven't aged well (graphics, combat, all around fun, the developers' reputation) but it scratches this pulpy itch I didn't know I had and is pretty much the only reason I still keep a gamecube.

fake edit: mods plz change my username to pulpy itch

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Eternal Darkness was so great. It's the best Lovecraftian game without actually featuring any of his creations. Did a great job of showing how insignificant humanity was in the face of these colossal, unknowable beings.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Eternal Darkness was so great. It's the best Lovecraftian game without actually featuring any of his creations. Did a great job of showing how insignificant humanity was in the face of these colossal, unknowable beings.

Seriously. Even the "true" ending is still pretty much a huge, apathetic bummer.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
For those on the fence about SOMA I just uploaded the first 3 hours of my playthrough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfCwMvpkdEo

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, the best you can do is to set these God-creatures against one another across three timelines to mutually destroy them all, and that still leaves the fourth one around on Earth. Hell, I think one of the many protagonists you play as doesn't even get to fight a boss, he walks up to it and it just makes his head explode (if it's the Insanity one, anyway, I think the Magic or Physical one just smashes him). Though of course you get to fight it as a boss as the next guy there, haha.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
What's especially good is it's not even really your own idea to oppose the gods, you just happen to be a useful pawn a crippled god uses for his own agenda because you just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WatermelonGun posted:

Seriously. Even the "true" ending is still pretty much a huge, apathetic bummer.
Not really. The game hints in the Cambodia levels that Mantarok actually likes humanity and may have wiped out its fellow Ancients in order to save us.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 23, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Just bought Soma for PS4, at least I'll finally have a game I'll be able to finish. Better be good, I'm trustin' ya goons

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Accordion Man posted:

Not really. The game hints in the Cambodia levels that Mantarok actually likes humanity and may have wiped out its fellow Ancients in order to save us.

It likes being worshiped by humanity, it killed the others so that it could keep playing god.

i don't know how you get "benevolent caretaker" from a temple with murals of bloody holy war and human sacrifice

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Played about three hours of Soma

It's real good, and I enjoy how things that would be the "twist" of any other game are spelled out pretty quickly in that time frame

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Soma spoilers

Two hours or so in: Having to unplug the robot (?) as it begged me to stop really hosed with me. The rest of the game has ranged from okay to solid, but that one moment was worth the price of entry, IMHO.

I also think the game has struck an excellent balance between keeping us in the dark and doing an infodump on our face. I am enticed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

^^ Yes, that one moment is pretty drat great.

I loving love anything to do with Ross. I started a new game and if you set the Comm Tower to Omokron-Station before you call Lambda, you get a short message from Ross saying to kill yourself, as there is nothing left to live for. Spooky.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Niggurath posted:

So did you like Teleglitch but wish it had better graphics (kinda) and multiplayer, well then you should check out Noct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHBPeijIBiQ. Now while I did enjoy Teleglitch, the lo-fi pixel graphics didn't do the game much favors and this looks to be much in the same vein. Just a bit surprised I had not heard of it before.

I'd also never heard of this, and I really like the look and the concept, but Zombie Samurai is right, it's going to be another DayZ. Payday has enough trouble getting pubbies to work together without an explicit betrayal mechanic, adding one is going to make co-op impossible. I'll be excited to play this if they decide to change that.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Just finished the game after playing it in one sitting with a buddy.

Game is really good. I don't think it's as outright terrifying as Amnesia was, but it was certainly a lot more interesting and was dripping with atmosphere. It's a little early, but do we know if there are multiple endings? I made some choices throughout the game that felt like they would effect an ending, but it seems like I got to see two endings play out at once. Does anything change? Seems odd to give me these choices and not have any consequences for them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think the point is the only consequences are how you feel about it yourself. There are no right answers here.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Speedball posted:

I think the point is the only consequences are how you feel about it yourself. There are no right answers here.

I was wondering if that might be what they're going for. Interesting. In retrospect, I'm glad that's the way it is--it's more impactful that way, I guess. I still need to replay the game, because I left quite a few rooms and terminals unexplored to get away from enemies. The one that goes off of hearing you, in particular, seems really difficult to avoid, but it seems like you can lock him in a room if you're quick enough. I'll probably try that.

Regarding the surveys: the one showed results at the end, are they based on what other players have answered? That'd be a neat little thing.

Overall, I feel like this game mixes the best parts of the Penumbra series with the best parts of Amnesia: The Dark Descent (with just a droplet of Machine for Pigs in there, what with the removal of a proper inventory system and resource management). I had a blast playing it, and couldn't put it down until the very end. I'm just sitting here trying to piece the story together--there are a few things I'm still confused about. For instance (late game spoiler, regarding an NPC) who the hell is that guy that tries to get you to kill WAU? I imagine if you dig deep enough into the notes and think about it you can guess who. Dude was creepy as hell and had unique powers that none of the other enemies had--he could just teleport in and out of existence.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Demiurge4 posted:

All that said I'm surprised very little of the previous trailer gameplay became relevant. I was waiting for the brain in a jar to show up but it never did.

They were very clear that he was not in the same setting or plotline as the character in SOMA, just dealing with similar issues.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you turn on Close Captioning subtitles it always lists their name and that helps you figure out who he is a lot easier: Spooky Skeleton Guy is Ross, the corpse at Omikron who was the only guy who knew where the mysterious Alpha site was that housed the core of the WAU. He died but revived as a bionic zombie with teleporting powers and also developed a poison version of the structure gel that got stored at Omikron, but before he could tell anyone else about it the WAU made everyone in Omikron's head EXPLODE.

He's weird; not exactly a malevolent antagonist but close.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is there a good SOMA LP where the LPer isn't in the corner of the screen and constantly talking?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Phobophilia posted:

Is there a good SOMA LP where the LPer isn't in the corner of the screen and constantly talking?

Seriously. I've been trying, HarshlyCritical, but your constant, bland innanery and dull-wittedness have worn me down. I need to watch let's plays with no god-drat facecam.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

Seriously. I've been trying, HarshlyCritical, but your constant, bland innanery and dull-wittedness have worn me down. I need to watch let's plays with no god-drat facecam.

This is YOOL 2015, friend, LPs are popularity contests now where only the biggest whores survive. No atmosphere or fun allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is YOOL 2015, friend, LPs are popularity contests now where only the biggest whores survive. No atmosphere or fun allowed

HarshlyCritical is really the last guy I'd call a whore.