Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quiet keeps shooting defenceless guys after I've knocked them out, if violence is her language she's really overcompensating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still think the "why doesn't Quiet just write something down" argument is looking past the more important thematic reasoning behind it - that her and Venom do have a mutual language in the form of violence.

Quiet not only doesn't need to write something down, she can literally speak any other language except English. This is a huge, glaring problem. This isn't a minor nitpick. She is completely able to communicate in every possible way (verbal, non-verbal and writing) but after a point there is literally no reason for her not to attempt to communicate. You can't simply hand-wave that away with thematic reasoning because the fact that she can communicate in every way but doesn't and presents no logical or character reason for doing so undermines that theme entirely.

If she was physically unable to communicate, but only has a connection with the Boss, you'd have a point. But this isn't the case.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

I am not sure if any one person is fit to be making that kind of decision. I mean, if people find the character to be offensive, it is offensive and it wouldn't even be that controversial of an opinion.

And her skimpy outfit would be bad even if she didn't have all that other stuff simply because of the context of the gaming industry and how people present women in video games.

That's a really bad excuse since I honestly believe every time we cry about representation when we see more female skin it hurts said representation more than it helps it.

Not that I'm defending Quiet's design, but a skimpily clothed character could still work and a costume by itself really shouldn't hurt her character.
Not with Kojima though, I remember back when Quiet was first revealed I argued that even she was fully clothed Kojima would find a way to objectify her. I am certain that there would be a shower scene or some poledancing in the rain scene with her no matter what.
She is basically a beauty fron MGS4 with more story relevance.

So yea, her looks and what they are doing with her are two seperate things in the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dapper Dan posted:

Quiet not only doesn't need to write something down, she can literally speak any other language except English. This is a huge, glaring problem. This isn't a minor nitpick. She is completely able to communicate in every possible way (verbal, non-verbal and writing) but after a point there is literally no reason for her not to attempt to communicate. You can't simply hand-wave that away with thematic reasoning because the fact that she can communicate in every way but doesn't and presents no logical or character reason for doing so undermines that theme entirely.

If she was physically unable to communicate, but only has a connection with the Boss, you'd have a point. But this isn't the case.

I'm pretty sure there's a cassette somewhere that says she's riddled with the fuckers, and the reason she can speak Navajo is because it doesn't have roots in any other language.

Still no reason she can't write anything or take the loving miracle vaccine we developed almost a full chapter and a half ago

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I don't think quiet was designed in a vacuum, they knew the response she would evoke (and have known since the first media of her was released), and I think this discussion is meant to be a part of it. This game is conscious enough to attempt to tackle the subject of child soldiers; would they really forget about women? Is anything in this series really that one-dimensional?
In the story, she can't speak for herself and her condition and situation in the scenario are largely thrust onto her by others, and as a result she's feared and hated. In reality, she's a scripted 3d asset; a literal object, a character in a videogame that is being appropriated by warriors of a different kind as a subject of misplaced loathing. Kojima has hardcore fiddled the people who can't get past her appearance.

I don't see a reason not to give the authors the benefit of the doubt given that the game is unfinished, anyway. Regardless of what you think about female characters in the earlier games, those games didn't come out in 2015. Attitudes and publisher mandates change.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How does it even work with loan words anyway.

Someone says a Kikongo loan word a bunch while speaking fluent English exclusively otherwise and they're done or are the smart enough to differentiate? I don't think these Parasites were very well conceptualised.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aurain posted:

How does it even work with loan words anyway.

Someone says a Kikongo loan word a bunch while speaking fluent English exclusively otherwise and they're done or are the smart enough to differentiate? I don't think these Parasites were very well conceptualised.

There's a cassette where code talker goes into it a bit about how just speaking another language won't protect you for that exact reason. It'll take longer for them to get their fill of whatever language they listen for, but it could happen without warning.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Adding that into the ever growing Skull Face fuckups.txt

(when i make it)

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Danaru posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a cassette somewhere that says she's riddled with the fuckers, and the reason she can speak Navajo is because it doesn't have roots in any other language.

Still no reason she can't write anything or take the loving miracle vaccine we developed almost a full chapter and a half ago

Her desire to kill you is stopping her from taking the vaccine, her desire to bone you is stopping her from talking

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

One of the tapes specifically had Code Talker mention that she's afraid of a mutation of some sort making her parasites go berserker like the ones on motherbase did. Those folks all had the vaccine anyway and they still became symptomatic literally within hours of exposure due to the radiation leak.

It's not a great way to go about it, but it does help explain her reasons for going on a walk in a desert.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

diamond dog posted:

I don't think quiet was designed in a vacuum, they knew the response she would evoke (and have known since the first media of her was released), and I think this discussion is meant to be a part of it. This game is conscious enough to attempt to tackle the subject of child soldiers; would they really forget about women? Is anything in this series really that one-dimensional?
In the story, she can't speak for herself and her condition and situation in the scenario are largely thrust onto her by others, and as a result she's feared and hated. In reality, she's a scripted 3d asset; a literal object, a character in a videogame that is being appropriated by warriors of a different kind as a subject of misplaced loathing. Kojima has hardcore fiddled the people who can't get past her appearance.

I don't see a reason not to give the authors the benefit of the doubt given that the game is unfinished, anyway. Regardless of what you think about female characters in the earlier games, those games didn't come out in 2015. Attitudes and publisher mandates change.

The reason I'm not giving Kojima the benefit of the doubt is because he has already done things like that in past Metal Gears, especially 4.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think they state Quiet doesn't take the cure because until the moment she decides to leave she's still torn between her growing loyalty to Venom Snake and her desire for vengeance, and that when she makes up her mind she realizes that even the vaccine can't guarantee she won't become symptomatic while shits like Huey are out there generating radiation leaks to force-mutate the parasites in an attempt to create a 'better' version. So her only 100% option to see to it that the English parasite strain dies completely is for her to die.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Not entirely on topic but I kind of wanna sit Quite down in my kitchen or mother base cafet (wihch is kind of my kitchen, becose I yam venom etc.) and sit her there and give her a can of ice chill Doctor peper zero calorie , while I cook in the pan a box of super noodles whit lea and perrin's sauce sprinkled over it , mabe tiny bit of chedder onto the top inside as well. And if she is still hungry after this I will make her the birds eye chicken dipper whit ketchips

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

BurnBlackJay posted:

Not entirely on topic but I kind of wanna sit Quite down in my kitchen or mother base cafet (wihch is kind of my kitchen, becose I yam venom etc.) and sit her there and give her a can of ice chill Doctor peper zero calorie , while I cook in the pan a box of super noodles whit lea and perrin's sauce sprinkled over it , mabe tiny bit of chedder onto the top inside as well. And if she is still hungry after this I will make her the birds eye chicken dipper whit ketchips

Same. I too would like a cooking strut dedicated to nothing but culinary research in order to produce the food that would give even a hardened mercenary in the field sudden diarrhea.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I dunno, I guess I just don't see any productive discussion to be gleaned from going "this plot point doesn't make sense." You aren't wrong, but it also doesn't change the fact that it's there - the story we got isn't going to change because people complain about it. I think it's more interesting to look at what is actually there instead of getting hung up on the holes, especially because so many people just go into this exaggerated critical death-spiral and suddenly everything about this game they spent 60+ hours playing is retroactively poo poo.

The game gave a few (very thin) justifications for it, and that's all there is. It's not the first story to have baffling plot holes or inconsistent character elements.

She doesn't communicate because she doesn't need to. The only person on Motherbase she even remotely trusts is Venom, and they speak to each other in blood. What would she even say to Miller? Admit that she has the English strain and send his murderous paranoia into overdrive? Put herself at the mercy of more torture? By the time she's made up her mind, Skull Face is dead and she is, as far as anyone besides Mantis and Eli knows, the last potential threat. She thought a vow of silence would be enough until she saw the mutations, and then she booked it. The entire concept of the parasites plot is contrived, but that's not worth getting hung up on because the meat of its meaning is subtextual.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 22, 2015

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Its so much bullshit that Quiet is now totally gone from my buddy selection, even if I REPLAY loving missions.

I know the story shows her loving off due to the strain and all that poo poo but just have her as an unlockable character.

I did like setting her on covering fire and watching the enemy lose their poo poo whilst I ran around and mopped up the rest

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Quiet doesn't want to communicate! She's still considering whether or not she wants to go through with killing Big Boss and all the Diamond Dogs up until she leaves. Which only happens when she realises that she no longer has any desire to do so.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Thanks to the wonder of strength of feelings driving memory production and the sheer size of the game, my recollection of MGSV is centered on Skullface's parasites and Metal Gear, Huey being a dick, and the real meaning of being Big Boss exposed by Naked Snake's gambit. The rest of the side plots being non-starters is concerning since we don't have the opportunity to watch Kojima flail trying to put everything back together again in future games, but easy to live with because being non-starters they never got a chance to resonate so a year from now when MGSV is brought up it'll be about looking fondly back at the ridiculous parasite plan, and not about how Quiet is a lady in underwear who's choice not to communicate makes her side plot even more incomprehensible.

Works for Eli too. Even when he should ostensibly stealing the spotlight in the fertile parts of chapter 2 I was always more like "fine, geeze, whatever, let me get back to finding more tapes about parasites and Huey being a dick"

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Its so much bullshit that Quiet is now totally gone from my buddy selection, even if I REPLAY loving missions.

I know the story shows her loving off due to the strain and all that poo poo but just have her as an unlockable character.

I did like setting her on covering fire and watching the enemy lose their poo poo whilst I ran around and mopped up the rest

Yup, it loving sucks. I wanna use her for mission replays. Never even got to turn her into Sniper Wolf.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the game isn't called the phantom pain for nothing.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Danaru posted:

The vaccine would kill her. The parasite is keeping her alive.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
it's probably intentional that we don't have enough information to say for sure why quiet didn't communicate. Is deckard a replicant? you can speculate but not draw conclusions. this is how you waifu.

my guess is: she was working for XOF and deciding whether to kill you until you kill skeletor. then she's free, but decides not to mess with the status quo because miller is clearly unstable and she likes hanging out with V and shooting folks. if she did communicate, she'd have to lie anyway, because she really is an assassin after all

she might also be waiting for V to make the first move to communicate, but he's a shrapnel-brained battle robot.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Agoat posted:

The vaccine would kill her. The parasite is keeping her alive.

The vaccine doesn't kill the parasite, all the DD members are still hosts. The Wolbachia just renders the male parasites into female so they're unable to copulate, which means it can't kill the host. That's why mission 43 happened, the radiation mutated them so they could copulate again, and then Fuckstick Shitbird got dunked off Mother Base, just a lot slower than I would have rathered :argh: gently caress the timeline, send him to the bottom of the ocean.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
BTW, I forgot to have said before in earlier , thu super noodles would be chicken (my favourite) or curry flavour , she can halve any .

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Also, the vocal cord parasites and the parasites keeping Quiet alive are two different kinds of parasite, if you can believe it.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Her entire skin is parasites. Pretty gross when you think about it

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Her entire skin is parasites. Pretty hot when you think about it

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

That's not what I said!!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I definitely said that

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if quiet has to die because she's not in the greater mgs timeline then how come we still have d-dog :colbert:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Her entire skin is parasites. Pretty gross when you think about it

I can plainly see the 1 trillion bacteria swarming all over your epidermis, and yet here you cast stones from your glass house.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kaubocks posted:

if quiet has to die because she's not in the greater mgs timeline then how come we still have d-dog :colbert:
Dogs his size live on average about 8 years, taking him out of the picture before other Metal Gear canon starts coming along.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

Dogs his size live on average about 8 years, taking him out of the picture before other Metal Gear canon starts coming along.

What if D-Dog is big boss

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

zedprime posted:

ok but what if he's actually a wolf

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

ok but what if he's actually a wolf

Guys, I think we might have a TRAITOR amongst us.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

D-Dog is a legend, passed on

He may die but other D-Dogs emerge

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

More dogs like D-Dog in video games please

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blade-Wolf was clearly based off of someone.

Which is weird considering D-Dog is a dog and not a wolf.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Agoat posted:

What if D-Dog is big boss

I can't believe this is how they finally place Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge in the canon timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

More dogs like D-Dog in video games please

• Locked thread