Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All the dogs Solid Snake was raising in Bumfuck, Alaska were among the many results of the Les Puppies Terribles project, aimed to clone DD aka Dog Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So pumped

Electromax
May 6, 2007
People complained about MGS2+4's interminable cutscenes and plodding discussions, and now it has swung too far the other way and people want more story and more cutscenes. The genius of Kojima is that he DID include hours of interminable cutscenes, they just secretly accumulate over time in the form of watching Snake in the helicopter arrive at the drop zone 100s of times. Those 30 second deployment videos add up over time to the tune of a couple hours of waiting.

Really wish you could just drop right into the edge of a side op zone without that little flair beforehand like PW. It's enough to make me sprint for 100 seconds to a nearby side op after finishing another one, instead of calling ACC and having to watch it drop me off again.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still think the "why doesn't Quiet just write something down" argument is looking past the more important thematic reasoning behind it - that her and Venom do have a mutual language in the form of violence.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Remember the first dog you meet in MG1? That's D-Dog

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I just realized Huey was right about people desperately trying to fool themselves into thinking D-dog aint a wolf. Staff even argue about it at some point and the guy that says it's a wolf gets told to keep it to himself early in the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Det_no posted:

I just realized Huey was right about people desperately trying to fool themselves into thinking D-dog aint a wolf. Staff even argue about it at some point and the guy that says it's a wolf gets told to keep it to himself early in the game.

I don't care what Barkiton Radar actually is, if Huey says he's a wolf, then he's a dog. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Det_no posted:

Pressing X and selecting Dismiss on you right now.

DD is a DOG.

I pity you if you don't scan the soldier who thinks DD is a wolf during that conversation so you can get his name and fire the son of a bitch ASAP.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bholder posted:

Remember the first dog you meet in MG1? That's D-Dog

RIP D-Dog :negative:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I wonder, if you go out of your way to dismiss someone you're standing in front of at Mother Base does it do anything? I was let down when you couldn't toss people in the ocean to get rid of them :(

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Quiet never writes anything down because if she communicates in any way Miller's taking her to room 101 and the only way she's leaving is in a body bag. And don't say Venom would stop him because Venom is no Big Boss and may be reeeaaaal good at killing but has no idea how to keep Kaz in check.

DD might have a little wolf in him but his head shape and the way he moves is all dog. And he's a good dog.

Man I'm jealous of the people who worked at the mocap studio the day they did DD. There are two dogs in the credits. Two. Dogs. Covered in motion capture baubles. Doing DD stuff.

Edit: I feel bad for Stefanie Joosten because she seems pretty jazzed to be in a Metal Gear game but every interview the first question she gets is "so tell us about your lovely naked character that we hate" as if it was her idea or something

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 22, 2015

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So when does the scene where Quiet and Venom Snake play in the rain happen? I want to make sure I have naken camo on when it happens.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OatmealRaisin posted:

Quiet never writes anything down because if she communicates in any way Miller's taking her to room 101 and the only way she's leaving is in a body bag. And don't say Venom would stop him because Venom is no Big Boss and may be reeeaaaal good at killing but has no idea how to keep Kaz in check.

DD might have a little wolf in him but his head shape and the way he moves is all dog. And he's a good dog.

Man I'm jealous of the people who worked at the mocap studio the day they did DD. There are two dogs in the credits. Two. Dogs. Covered in motion capture baubles. Doing DD stuff.

My honest to god favourite part of the game is how realistic DD's movements are when he gets so excited that he wags his butt too instead of just his tail :3::3::3: I love that dog

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OatmealRaisin posted:

Venom is no Big Boss and may be reeeaaaal good at killing but has no idea how to keep Kaz in check.

Almost every clash in opinion or conflict that Venom Snake and Kaz have in this game goes Snake's way. The one where Kaz bumps past him. The one with the kids not being staff might be a Kaz win, but Snake didn't want to put them in the field anyway and that goes tits up for Kaz anyway. He's pretty inept.

The playing in the rain thing happens in chapter 2, early, with max rank if you're returning from a mission with Quiet.

From everything you see from Joosten, including when she streams, she just seems extremely happy to be in MGSV in general and is either great at shutting things out when people are asking her creepy poo poo (she's a model so probably is great at this) or she doesn't give a single gently caress. It's probably both.

All dogs have a little wolf in them, in their hearts :3:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Wondering what the game would've been if the end of act 1 hadn't been the climax, if the scraps of act 2 hadn't been padded out into 20 missions of copy paste gamified denouement loose end fetch quest, if act 3 had existed, and if the side ops hadn't been clone-stamped filler to try and further stretch the game to something near to what it's systems were balanced for. It was still good but god drat if the shades of greatness aren't depressing as hell. It's the second disk of Xenogears with a bigger budget for code slaves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you seriously think that an open-world game's side missions wouldn't be largely repetitive content even in the best of situations then I don't know what to tell you. Just because some things were unfinished doesn't mean everything was unfinished.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cephalocidal posted:

It's the second disk of Xenogears with a bigger budget for code slaves.

It's the opposite problem as Xenogears but the same end result, really. Xenogears disk 2 is all story and too little gameplay. MGS V is too little story.

Xenogears' first arc is much, much stronger than V's though.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
What if Chapter 1 was Afghanistan, Chapter 2 was Africa, and Chapter 3 was postgame but they decided to change things around and left the title cards in.

I mean I know that gets in the way of righteous "this game that rivals some JRPGs in length is only half complete" bitching but let's just play what-if here

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Can't wait to mod Dogmeat to use D-Dog's model

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gruckles posted:

Can't wait to mod Dogmeat to use D-Dog's model

I think Gamebryo engine might just come come crashing down if it actually had to render a current-gen model, be careful!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The first mod I would download for Fallout 4 will be called [WIP]Crash to Desktop FIX - x64 systems.

The next one will be called [WIP]Crash to desktop FIX - nVidia GPU users.

That'll go on for a while.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

OatmealRaisin posted:

What if Chapter 1 was Afghanistan, Chapter 2 was Africa, and Chapter 3 was postgame but they decided to change things around and left the title cards in.

I mean I know that gets in the way of righteous "this game that rivals some JRPGs in length is only half complete" bitching but let's just play what-if here

The plot still mostly works but no cutscenes currently conflict with the existing back-forth so that would've been an early decision.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
D-Dog is a Wolf dog. Half wolf, half dog. This poo poo is straight out of MGS1.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Snak posted:

D-Dog is a Wolf dog. Half wolf, half dog. This poo poo is straight out of MGS1.

Can he snipe?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
D Dog and D Horse are more likely freaks of nature born of Cipher's genetics project, because when you get max friendship you get to "customize" their genes :tinfoil:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

zedprime posted:

D Dog and D Horse are more likely freaks of nature born of Cipher's genetics project, because when you get max friendship you get to "customize" their genes :tinfoil:

I never maxed out my horse bond because as soon as DD grew up D-Horse went straight to the glue factory

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

zedprime posted:

Anyone who changes D-Dog at all is awful. He's perfect the way he is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aurain posted:

I use the fox looking skin just so I can continue making "Fox Hound" jokes

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

OatmealRaisin posted:

I never maxed out my horse bond because as soon as DD grew up D-Horse went straight to the glue factory

I ended up maxing out D-Horse by accident on replaying Backup, Back Down a few times to get prisoners 'n poo poo.

the customization would be nice if I didn't have FURICORN

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah Bro posted:

He doesn't really do much analytically, mostly it's just a recount of the events of the text, without any semblance of critical thought applied to it. After that is a short section where it looks like he might go analytical with it, but he reads a small part of it, and incorrectly (as in the text all but screams the opposite) before talking about industry pressures, broken promises, "kojima lied" bullshit and also more sort of consumer review stuff which is meaningless in a video designed for people who've already played through the game to completion.

I'm guessing you meant the part of the video where reads the mirror cutscene, or was it the part where he says the ending reframes the entire story over all the games? I'm not sure what part that was wrong with the reading or what part of the text was all but screaming the opposite.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
aaaand found the precident for Venom's pony tail

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I see them once in a while in the wild, it's like some weird thing for dudes who think manbuns are too mainstream or something. They also look hilariously goofy on anyone that isn't a chiseled mountain-man with an eyepatch, which is precisely every single man with a ponytail.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 22, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So has the overwhelming white knighting fandom for this game finally ended now?

It's been one week since i finished it and i can't think of a single thing that would ever make me want to play it again.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Aurain posted:

Reskin D-Horse as D-Dog so you can ride him into battle.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Kin posted:

It's been one week since i finished it and i can't think of a single thing that would ever make me want to play it again.
what if you learned that this was just the tanker mission

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Not even close.

Fortunately, due to its open-world design, a replay isn't really needed, just screwing around with the late-game tech provides a few extra hours of playtime.

Realtime development delays make me really dread ever having to restart.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kin posted:

well good news, we're at that part of the cycle where literally everyone on the internet hates the game and tears everything about it apart because how dare critics have given it 10/10 what ever happened to REAL GAMES JOURNALISM

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just to be clear I think the game is dope and is the second best MGS overall behind MGS3 only because that game is perfect in every way

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am starting to feel the phantom pain because I know I am not likely to get all S ranks or all mission tasks in my current spree and I know that telling myself I can always play the game in the future to get those S ranks and tasks, or experiment with new items and conducts, is a little white lie and I will probably just take it out for 15 minutes sometime in 2017 because its not as simple to marathon through like MGS1-4 sequentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Kin posted:

I have not stopped enjoying this video game that you finished a week ago and don't want to play again. I can't speak for anyone else though.

Is enjoying a video game white knighting? Is that a bad thing? I just can't tell anymore.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 22, 2015

• Locked thread