Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Any guesses?

Also, look at puny Europe compared to mighty America:

:911:

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

europe, a subcontinental region defined by two plants, neither of which are native to it

Yet another way that South America owns dumb eurofags :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Rah! posted:

Any guesses?

Population in the red area is equal to the blue?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

DuckHuntDog posted:

Population in the red area is equal to the blue?

Yep, I guess that was a pretty easy one.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Rah! posted:

Also, look at puny Europe compared to mighty America:

Let's compare!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I guess the politically loaded part is not dividing the US up by counties.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Anosmoman posted:

Let's compare!

Man everytime i see the sunshine comparison and think about how much Germany put into solar, I laugh.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sunlight map legend is garbage. So is population distribution by age.

Also, what is HSR in last map?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Also, what is HSR in last map?

High Speed Rail.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Man everytime i see the sunshine comparison and think about how much Germany put into solar, I laugh.

I like to call this one "why the movie industry started in California".png

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vorpal Cat posted:

I like to call this one "why the movie industry started in California".png

Well, it started in New York but then Edison chased them away.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

computer parts posted:

Well, it started in New York but then Edison chased them away.

Not so much "Edison" as "the legal system and patent infringement lawsuits."

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Anosmoman posted:

Let's compare!

Get outta here Lithuania and Louisiana (what is it with L?)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

Get outta here Lithuania and Louisiana (what is it with L?)

Louisiana in 2006 wasn't exactly the best place for obvious reasons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

Louisiana in 2006 wasn't exactly the best place for obvious reasons.

Wikipedia tells me that Louisana's homicide rate was still above 10 per 100,000 in 2013 and was 13 in 2003. Article looking at some of the problems.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Can Europeans not afford to reproduce anymore?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jaramin posted:

France has a high population growth because it subsidizes motherhood very heavily, so this may be more true than you think.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jaramin posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure less sucky economic policies could at the very least make all the yellow countries on the map have a fertility rate just above the replacement rate, even without any changes that are specifically natalist. They really don't need that much of a bump (Scandinavia in particular) to do so, so it'd largely be about creating an environment where young people feel more economically secure and thus capable of providing for any children earlier. You'd probably need that AND some massive natalist policies in most of the rest of Europe though.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
easier way would be to stop sex ed and make abortions illegal

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

easier way would be to stop sex ed and make abortions illegal
That wouldn't help Poland.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
You die young in Wallonia .

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

So it's not all bad.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Florida, the Egypt of America

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"Moscow-St.Petersburg has a high speed rail so let's color whole Russia blue"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

kikkelivelho posted:

lol

looks about right

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kikkelivelho posted:

Jesus gently caress.

I hate (half of) my ancestors. Who was the loving tribesman that thought this north would be just a great spot to set down roots? gently caress you!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure less sucky economic policies could at the very least make all the yellow countries on the map have a fertility rate just above the replacement rate, even without any changes that are specifically natalist. They really don't need that much of a bump (Scandinavia in particular) to do so, so it'd largely be about creating an environment where young people feel more economically secure and thus capable of providing for any children earlier. You'd probably need that AND some massive natalist policies in most of the rest of Europe though.
That assumes that additional people is a desirable thing and that natalism is moral in any kind of way. Which I guess it is if you're one of the rich and want additional wage-slaves/consumers, or you're a nationalist and want additional Correct Type of Whites. I'm all for less sucky economic policies, but we shouldn't be trying to corral people into breeding when they don't want to. If anything we need more public airtime given to antinatalist policies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

That assumes that additional people is a desirable thing and that natalism is moral in any kind of way.
Just above replacement rates in those countries would hardly make up for the massive deficit in the rest of Europe.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm all for less sucky economic policies, but we shouldn't be trying to corral people into breeding when they don't want to. If anything we need more public airtime given to antinatalist policies.
Sure. Of course "don't want to breed" might in reality cover a whole lot of categories of people who do not wish to have children because of factors which are directly dependent on sucky economic policies, which is very different from people who just straight up wouldn't want children in any scenario.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus gently caress.

I hate (half of) my ancestors. Who was the loving tribesman that thought this north would be just a great spot to set down roots? gently caress you!
Clearly a proto-meteorologist who was aware of the Gulf Stream.

Unless you're Canadian, in which case I can't help you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

That assumes that additional people is a desirable thing and that natalism is moral in any kind of way. Which I guess it is if you're one of the rich and want additional wage-slaves/consumers, or you're a nationalist and want additional Correct Type of Whites. I'm all for less sucky economic policies, but we shouldn't be trying to corral people into breeding when they don't want to. If anything we need more public airtime given to antinatalist policies.

How in the hell is it simultaneously wrong to encourage people to start families, yet morally imperative to discourage them? Just let them decide on their own.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I love how all these regions with "purer air" etc... and yet they have lower life expectancy than the Parisian region :smug:

kikkelivelho posted:

Detroit beneath the waves

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's not a big deal, most developed countries are accepting lots of young immigrants to maintain their population. One big exception is Japan, they have a very low birth rate and take in few immigrants, and they are already feeling the demographic effects. The world has enough people, there is no reason to increase birth rate for the sake of increasing birth rate. Nations should have social programs to support parents and children because it improves society as a whole, not to encourage people to have kids.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

steinrokkan posted:

How in the hell is it simultaneously wrong to encourage people to start families, yet morally imperative to discourage them? Just let them decide on their own.

It's entirely consistent to say Thing A is immoral, Anti-Thing A is moral. Guavanaut is just working from the postulate there are too many people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

You can't think of an example where it would be wrong to encourage someone to do one thing, but right to encourage them to do the exact opposite?

And sure, we could let people just decide on their own, but people take their cues from society and from the things that they have access to (both economically and legally).

I don't believe in using economic coercion for antinatal policies, like British Chancellor George Osborne wanting to cap child benefits to two children and abolish free school meals, because firstly it's harmful to existing children and secondly it doesn't work. If anything it's the more economically developed countries that have reduced their birthrates the most, placing families in poverty doesn't stop them having kids, and I believe that all existing children should be well cared for.

That leaves us with the social encouragement factor. People are bombarded with pro-natalist material all the time from the media, to the point where it becomes the default baseline. That's not just letting people decide on their own, but that can be changed without coercing individual families.

Then there's legal and economical factors, for instance, here's a politically loaded map:

We can reduce birth rates across the board by increasing global women's rights, access to sex-ed, and access to contraceptive methods. That sounds like a win-win to me. (And then prevent public officials coming out with stupid nationalist poo poo like "one for mum, one for dad, and one for the country" from coming anywhere near a microphone.)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus gently caress.

Are you one of those tedious people who likes warmth? I get tetchy when it goes over 21 C.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus gently caress.

The original eastern population were elk hunters and the later western group (the Comb Ceramic culture) hunted seals. They picked Finland because it's a good place for animals to live in.

Gene map

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Konstantin posted:

It's not a big deal, most developed countries are accepting lots of young immigrants to maintain their population. One big exception is Japan, they have a very low birth rate and take in few immigrants, and they are already feeling the demographic effects. The world has enough people, there is no reason to increase birth rate for the sake of increasing birth rate. Nations should have social programs to support parents and children because it improves society as a whole, not to encourage people to have kids.
The idea that you can just top off your population through immigration completely ignores the fact that existing population might not be a huge fan of the immigrants. Like, time will tell, but given the way Europe is going the success of anti-immigrant parties might cause a collapse of the political order in Europe, and probably not for the better. Not when you consider how many of these parties are directly supported by Moscow, and sees Russian social policies as something to emulate.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
Not to mention the fact that you can't just keep topping off the population forever. Birth rates are leveling off in the third-world as well. It's also pretty lovely to just expect immigrants to show up and work so that you can enjoy your retirement, instead of making the sacrifices to raise kids to carry the torch and support you.

Pro-natalist policies don't force anyone to have kids. They help people do something that most of them want to anyway, but often can't for economic reasons.

Guavanaut posted:

That leaves us with the social encouragement factor. People are bombarded with pro-natalist material all the time from the media, to the point where it becomes the default baseline. That's not just letting people decide on their own, but that can be changed without coercing individual families.

Call me a :biotruths: believer, but self-propagation is a pretty drat innate seeing as we are biological organisms. If anything, people have their natalist tendencies driven out of them because a capitalist, consumer-driven society has taught us that material possessions are more important.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hopefully America bails us out again :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why? Solar would be better with more sunshine, but modern solar panels pay for themselves (both in money and in CO2 emitted in their production). If you want to laugh, look at our politicians phasing out nuclear power.

And look at that map and think about how little the USA has put into solar, then laugh. Or cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Why? Solar would be better with more sunshine, but modern solar panels pay for themselves (both in money and in CO2 emitted in their production). If you want to laugh, look at our politicians phasing out nuclear power.

And look at that map and think about how little the USA has put into solar, then laugh. Or cry.
What about the materials used in the production of solar panels?