Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's not very cunning or smart. He is ambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

He's not very cunning or smart. He is ambitious.

His troll instincts are strong, though. I've seen the videos.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 22, 2015

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

should we really be concerned?

"isn't this a bit dangerous" :ohdear: to Ted fuckin Cruz

instead of

"this is dangerous and its gonna be hilarious" :allears: to Ted fuckin Cruz

I am worried that we might not get another "Most dangerous man in Congress" poster. I need to see more posters with Ted Cruz photoshopped to have a series of steadily worse prison tattoos.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Anal Papist posted:

Isn't this a bit dangerous if he is already $150k down in donations? He is recruiting people from a campaign that just imploded from lack of direct funds into a campaign that desperately needs funds and seems unlikely to get them.

He's not down $150,000 in donations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

I see Lindsey is picking up on the winning tactics of his erstwhile amigo Lieberman.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Maybe it's just the political news this week, but "HAM" is really sticking out to me.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

:flaccid:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
It's funny that in Walker's drop out speech he went on about personal attacks and people should use the bible as a thing to help act better. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago when he compared a good chunk of the American population (unions) to ISIS?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

#grahampocalypse?
#grahamageddon?
#grahamcrackers?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

yeah this is about the right size, helloooooo ladies :heysexy:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

:fork:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Smoothrich posted:

I was looking for a video of an interview he gave before he became a Senator where he spoke with shocking eloquence about his devout faith as a Christian and belief in his Bible taking a backseat to our shared freedoms and the American Constitution, he seemed very sincere in how he respects all religions, is tolerant of gays and other minorities, and feels obligated by both his Christian values and legal training 2 Serve and Protect the disenfranchised, poor etc but unsurprisingly all I can find is the past year of him pandering to Southern Evangelical primary voters for his long term Presidential campaign scheme (which is probably to become Trump's VP now lol) which makes him sound like a total zealot dbag instead.

That's a rather odd definition of tolerance, given that he criticized the mayor of Dallas simply for daring attend a gay pride parade.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

Just last week Nate Silver was saying that Walker was underpriced and a sure buy on the betting markets and that Walker's poor numbers didn't mean anything.

This is going to be a rough cycle for Nate Silver.

Dude doesn't have a clue when the polls aren't spitting the answer in his face.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

He's not down $150,000 in donations.

The earlier email you posted said he had a $150k shortfall against their predicted funding for this quarter. I guess not all that money will have been spent or allocated, but nothing so far has shown me that these candidates enjoy practicing the fiscal conservatism they often preach to others. How serious is the shortfall, or is it fairly benign and just a way of squeezing more from his supporters? Will we get a new poster where a heavily tattoo'd Cruz is turning tricks for campaign donations?

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Joementum posted:

Hold on, Karl Rove is on BuzzFeed saying that Scott Walker might still be the nominee....

As the article goes on to note, one problem (among many) with this idea is that in this scenario the party could also pick, you know, literally anyone else.

Man, Karl Rove has come a long way since his glory days of the Bush Administration.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Anal Papist posted:

The earlier email you posted said he had a $150k shortfall against their predicted funding for this quarter. I guess not all that money will have been spent or allocated, but nothing so far has shown me that these candidates enjoy practicing the fiscal conservatism they often preach to others. How serious is the shortfall, or is it fairly benign and just a way of squeezing more from his supporters? Will we get a new poster where a heavily tattoo'd Cruz is turning tricks for campaign donations?

Let me introduce you to the concept of "advertising". In "advertising" we tell lies to get you to give us money.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

pathetic little tramp posted:

His investors are going to be fleeing in droves because this just looks terrible and destroys their reputation if they're ever tainted by the merest association. On top of that, the last company he was "CEO" of is suing him for mega millions and is likely to prevail because he is really really lovely at covering his tracks. Failing that, making medicine for AIDS patients 4000x more expensive is a surefire way to piss off someone who has nothing to lose and access to a gun.

Daraprim is used to treat Toxoplasmosis, not AIDS.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am not sure whether I should be rooting for "Diamond" Joe Biden or "The" Donald J. Trump at this point. Hopefully at some point in the near future The Onion will publish a poll showing which candidate best represents my interests, with a footnote of candidacy optional.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Narciss posted:

Young children and immunocompromised people, such as those with HIV/AIDS, those taking certain types of chemotherapy, or those who have recently received an organ transplant, may develop severe toxoplasmosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Trump's twitter meltdown is still going on - He's tweeted 11 times so far this morning.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They may also develop severe literally any other disease, because that's what immunocompromised means.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Narciss posted:

Yes. Which is most commonly treated when present in immunosuppressed patients, since healthy adults can be infected without any issues. So most people taking Daraprim have AIDS.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Montasque posted:

Rubio is out of favor, but I am sure out of the establishment picks he's the most acceptable.

John McCain was out of favor for a long time with Rush --- when he picked Palin as VP, I remember listening to his show the next day, and he called him "John McBrilliant."

I guess what I'm trying to say is --- the right wing talk radio guys will fall in line with whoever the nominee is.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Anal Papist posted:

Why do you believe Ted Cruz actually thought he was going to get one million dollars this month and isn't just making it up to get more money?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

railroad terror posted:

John McCain was out of favor for a long time with Rush --- when he picked Palin as VP, I remember listening to his show the next day, and he called him "John McBrilliant."

I guess what I'm trying to say is --- the right wing talk radio guys will fall in line with whoever the nominee is.

Exactly. Then after they lose they rant and rave about being 'fooled by a RINO!'

But unlike McCain Rush really did like Rubio, that is until Trump showed up.

I'm going to make a wild prediction... The next NOT TRUMP will be Rubio, and it will happen sooner rather than later, and he maybe the guy who finally knocks Trump down.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Love Stole the Day posted:

I know you guys like to circlejerk against Ted Cruz but at least give him credit for the "hi will you give me money" thing he said on the Colbert Show. I thought it was pretty authentic and genuine, at least. It was a great interview because nobody has called out people for the Reagan stuff before afaik and I think the audienc were assholes for booing the guest just because he wasn't pandering to them.

inb4 "omfg how dare you not circlejerk with us!"

I for one think this is a real game changer. Instead of being a fake rear end obstructionist garbage politician, he's an authentic obstructionist garbage politician. Really changes the way I feel about Ted Cruz and the many ways he's embarrassed this country and my home state.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Love Stole the Day posted:

I think the audienc were assholes for booing the guest just because he wasn't pandering to them.

Compare this to how incredibly respectful Liberty University was when Bernie Sanders went to speak there. I'm on the left of the American political spectrum, but I feel like the left gets a whole lot nastier than the right. They usually justify it with "well it's fine because we're right, after all."

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Narciss posted:

Compare this to how incredibly respectful Liberty University was when Bernie Sanders went to speak there. I'm on the left of the American political spectrum, but I feel like the left gets a whole lot nastier than the right. They usually justify it with "well it's fine because we're right, after all."

It's a late night talk show.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nietzschean posted:

They may also develop severe literally any other disease, because that's what immunocompromised means.

Are you saying that because AIDS patients can develop lots of diseases, that it is not germane to point out that they are one of the populations most affected by a price shock for the drug in question?

I think it's quite relevant.

It's actually pretty brilliant, because diseases that primarily affect immunocompromised are the best sort of target for this style of price gouging. They probably already have of insurance that they've reached a maximum OOP limit for, because they have a other things wrong with them too. So there is very little price sensitivity for the majority of your patients. And the patients who are destitute are dying to lots of other things as well, so it's not like it's your fault when they are withheld drugs and die.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Montasque posted:

It's a late night talk show.

Ok then just imagine the reception Cruz would get at UC Berkeley

Devor posted:

It's actually pretty brilliant, because diseases that primarily affect immunocompromised are the best sort of target for this style of price gouging. They probably already have of insurance that they've reached a maximum OOP limit for, because they have a other things wrong with them too. So there is very little price sensitivity for the majority of your patients. And the patients who are destitute are dying to lots of other things as well, so it's not like it's your fault when they are withheld drugs and die.

The kneejerk types missed this. It is gleefully capitalistic, but no ones going to die because of the price change. Those drug costs will get shifted from the AIDS patient to the insurer and then to insured individuals who subsidize patients who fully utilize their medical insurance. It's still a great example of why we need to have a serious talk as a nation about the insanity of US health care and drug development.

Narciss fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 22, 2015

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Montasque posted:

I'm going to make a wild prediction... The next NOT TRUMP will be Rubio, and it will happen sooner rather than later, and he maybe the guy who finally knocks Trump down.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't foresee that happening. Rubio is an establishment politician, precisely the quality that Trump and his supporters rail against and what brought Carson and Fiorina to the spotlight.

Rubio, like Kasich, is a smart guy with substance and possibly moderate appeal, which makes him a good alternative to Jeb!, but I haven't found much crossover between Trump and Rubio supporters.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Anal Papist posted:

That's a common political fundraising tactic. "Oh no, we're falling behind! Send us money now! :derp:"

He didn't send a real "internal" fundraising spreadsheet out in his mass email to supporters.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Narciss posted:

Lol you're trying so hard man

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Narciss posted:

I remember when going to a Bush speech openly as a Democrat would get you kicked out. Also, Trump supporters recently beat up a dude and pissed on him for being Mexican.

I'm going out on a limb and say that you're seeing what you want to see.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

Toxoplasmosis is very strongly related to hiv and AIDS. In the early days when we had no idea what this was it was one of a couple of major issues that confounded doctors because "how the gently caress is a full grown man not only getting this but coming back for a refill on his meds. He should either get better or be dead."

Yes just about anything can gently caress you up with AIDS, but there are certain diseases and infections that are far more common among AIDS infected patients than just about anyone else.

Also, gently caress that guy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Here's a lovely article about Scott Walker:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-they-mattered/

Here's some choice quotes:

quote:

4) Money has long been a problem for the Walker family.
Unlike many candidates for president, Walker lacks personal wealth. As a young state lawmaker, he made less than $40,000 per year. When he became the Milwaukee County executive in 2002, he kept a campaign promise to return much of his salary, a total that he says reached $375,000 by 2010. As governor, Walker was paid nearly $148,000 per year, in addition to free housing in the governor's mansion, taxpayer-provided vehicles and other perks. He also received a $45,000 advance for the 2013 book he wrote about his fight with the unions.

But financial disclosures revealed that Walker has tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt, including a large balance on a card with an interest rate of more than 27 percent. His two sons have taken on at least $100,000 in student loan debt and have yet to graduate from college. It's clear that unlike some candidates in the race, Walker could not afford to absorb any potential debt of a presidential campaign. Several donors said Monday night that fear of debt was a driving factor in Walker's decision to so suddenly step out of the race.

7) Walker is no world traveler.
In June, I followed Walker to Quebec City, where he attended a conference for Canadian and U.S. officials from the Great Lakes region. When he addressed the audience, Walker marveled at the pitchers of water sitting on the conference tables in the palatial hotel and said he drank from them without hesitation: "There are plenty of places around the world I go to that I would not dare do that. I would not be drinking water unless they brought it to me in a bottle, and I could make sure the top had not been turned … because I wouldn't know if I would get sick or not."

The list of countries Walker has visited is not lengthy or exotic — and most trips came this year as he rushed to learn more about foreign policy so he could speak with the same ease as many of his well-traveled rivals. While Walker's knowledge deepened this year, he still struggled to project that authority. On a majority of foreign policy questions, he would pivot to two major talking points: the need to destroy "radical Islamic terrorism" and to embrace Israel as an ally.

During campaign stops in South Carolina the next day, Walker was visibly exhausted, his eyes red and puffy. He started slurring words, turning "Harley" into "Farley" and "ISIS" into "aces." Although the crowd laughed and clapped as he recounted his harrowing travel adventures, they didn't get to see his best self. The same was true as Walker rode a rented Road King through New Hampshire over Labor Day weekend, becoming frustrated and mixing up his words as he addressed a swarm of reporters at the end of the first day of the ride. If Walker stayed in the race, the grueling schedule likely would have continued.

It sounds like if anything, his personal debt issues did him in. And I'm sure other candidates would have attacked it as well.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Riosan posted:

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't foresee that happening. Rubio is an establishment politician, precisely the quality that Trump and his supporters rail against and what brought Carson and Fiorina to the spotlight.

Rubio, like Kasich, is a smart guy with substance and possibly moderate appeal, which makes him a good alternative to Jeb!, but I haven't found much crossover between Trump and Rubio supporters.

You're correct that Rubio is seen as establishment, but my prediction is based on the assumption that more establishment candidates will begin to drop out as Walker did. As they do, that support/money will go to Rubio making him stronger.

If not Rubio, the only one left that can fill the anti-Trump roll is Cruz, but he lacks ,presence, charisma, and likability.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Narciss posted:

I'm on the left of the American political spectrum

Hmm... I'm not sure I'm buying this guys. I think Narciss may be, and I know this is shocking but just maybe, not telling the 100% god-honest truth.

Montasque posted:

If not Rubio, the only one left that can fill the anti-Trump roll is Cruz, but he lacks ,presence, charisma, and likability.
Is there any evidence Cruz is willing to fill that role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Is there a scenario in which Trump doesn't win the nomination? Because I'm starting to feel that might very well happen.

• Locked thread