Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Watching this episode was like jumping directly from the season one paintball episode of Community to the season 4 paintball episode of Community. It's the television equivalent of that scene in Last Crusade where the guy drinks from the wrong grail and ages an entire lifetime before your eyes. I think this is the first time I've ever felt embarrassed for a showrunner while watching an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I take it you didn't like the episode?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
My biggest problem with this episode is that all of the TV skits just felt the same. I appreciated the Olympics thing and I enjoyed the one with the conjoined twins but the rest of it was really underwhelming. They just didn't have the personality that most of the skits in the first season episode had. This episode is probably my least favorite of the series, although I did enjoy the B-plot. It would have been better if Jerry had died and then they could have explored the ramifications of replacing him with another Jerry.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I didn't like this episode as much as some of the others but holy poo poo are some of y'all overreacting by saying it's worse than Fallout 3 or whatever.

Wait, Fallout 3 was bad? I've never played any, but I thought people liked that one.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, Fallout 3 was bad? I've never played any, but I thought people liked that one.

There's people that are still mad that the Fallout series abandoned 2d isometric.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Final Fantasy Fallout Megathread: Every game is the worst game in the series.

Goons will be unhappy and you can't stop them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It was pretty bad for a lot of reasons, most of them incredibly spergy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

It's good, but the ending choice pissed people off a lot because it manufactured a completely stupid false dilemma. You're given a choice to sacrifice yourself by entering a chamber bathed in lethal radiation to push a button that saves they day, have a certain heroic npc sacrifice herself to save the day, do nothing, or sacrifice yourself to spitefully screw everyone over and let the bad guys carry out their vision. The game calls you a coward if you choose the second or third options.

The stupidity occurs when considering the followers you can have. All of them refuse to push the button when asked. Most aren't exactly keen on dying, but among the possible followers are a radiation-immune mutant, a robot, a brainwashed slave (who to be fair might still not be keen on dying), and a radiation-immune mutant who is also a brainwashed slave. They give you some inane bullshit about it being your destiny to finish your father's work or call you a coward. Thanks guys.

Also, no amount of hazmat gear, power armor, anti-rad drugs, or perks will protect you.

There's a dlc that takes place after the main campaign that sort of fixes it. The radiation immune followers are perfectly willing to push the button! But they didn't change the ending narration at calls you a coward.

E: On the thread topic which thread I was in. I kind of like how Rick, contender for most jaded man in the multiverse, gets really into the tv shows. He even expressed horror at seeing a Jerry get gunned down.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 22, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's kind of amazing that Dan Harmon manages to put out over an hour of successful improv every week on Harmontown and yet Justin Roiland can't reliably make 12 minutes of good improv once a year.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly suprised when they revisit this episode in a few months sans dogpile and realize how much they love it. The increasingly agitated and agressive morty, enthusiastic enthralled rick, werner herzog penis speech, more and more enthusiastic background alien during personal space slides, the terrible risks of eyeholes cereal, Eat some loving poo poo you stupid bitch haha just kiddin.

Its all gold. you'll watch it and see.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Spaceman Future! posted:

Eat some loving poo poo you stupid bitch haha just kiddin.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Spaceman Future! posted:

Its all gold. you'll watch it and see.

We are the Morty.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of liked Morty's rant about, "Maybe the more evolved people don't feel the need to communicate through the filter of what you think is appropriate," or however that went. Sounded like someone was making a point.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

GORDON posted:

I kind of liked Morty's rant about, "Maybe the more evolved people don't feel the need to communicate through the filter of what you think is appropriate," or however that went. Sounded like someone was making a point.

between that and the "well that's retarded" scene in season 1 I feel like Roiland and Harmon have a very pro-expression view of things, which I like.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

GORDON posted:

I loved Morty's rant. Especially the end when Rick calls him out.

I hated Rixty Minutes the first time I saw it. But I said, hey Lu Yan, why do you gotta be such a cranky old dick? The best part of both episodes are how the rants get animated. I love the animation in this show; giving the animators the chance to go hog wild? A+. Empire Strikes Back level sequel here.

I feel you all are forgetting Rick and Morty's main point:
Everything is *burp* pointless.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I thought some of the improv bits were kinda forced but I can't hate an episode where Werner Herzog says the word penis a lot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That Warner Herzog speech should be chiseled in marble.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GORDON posted:

Just rewatched the episode... the dude voicing that one sounded straight-up drunk.

For these episodes Roiland sits in the recording booth for several hours drinking a bottle of whiskey, so yeah he was poo poo faced by the time he recorded octopus man. He said he was drunk for gazorpazorpfield but it was less obvious on that one.

For me the episode was pretty weak because the improv didn't really work but I liked the Jerry plot a lot.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
The plumbus is the real star of the episode.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
In some dimensions, how you make a plumbus is their equivalent of The 'The Aristocrats' joke.

"And THAT'S how you make a plumbus!!" :haw:

:barf:

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

ruddiger posted:

That Warner Herzog speech should be chiseled in marble etched onto gold plates, attached to probes, and shot into the farthest reaches of space.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sleeveless posted:

It's kind of amazing that Dan Harmon manages to put out over an hour of successful improv every week on Harmontown and yet Justin Roiland can't reliably make 12 minutes of good improv once a year.

All jokes on Harmontown seem to devolve into raping someone's mother.
I think the song improv bit was actually a parody of Harmontown to an extent.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
When I or some others ITT try to extrapolate where character growth might go from season to season (since intended or not, it is a thing with this show), goons start bitching about how we're 'reading way too much into it'.

Because clearly what this thread REALLY needs is 3 - 4 pages of sperging about how funny/unfunny Roiland's madness actually is - that totally can't be a thing that you can read into too much! Oh goons!

Also somewhat on this topic, this:

Waffleman_ posted:

You're wrong because of Werner Herzog's dick joke speech.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

What, were you not around for the huge as gently caress debate on whenever or not Mr. PoopyButthole was real?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I actually thought the improv bits were very good. The "B" story was a lot stronger this time as well, making it, imo, a better episode overall.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kunster posted:

What, were you not around for the huge as gently caress debate on whenever or not Mr. PoopyButthole was real?

That debate is proof why we need more of these episodes. We need more octopus man is what I'm saying.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I liked some of the improv skits but they went on for like twice as long as they needed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Kunster posted:

I managed to just miss that one it seems, sadly. Either way, I am still amused.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
We all decided that he was real and it was all in the same universe.

The End.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I think the absolute insanity of this episode hasnt quite leaked in for people yet.

For example, while holding the entire room hostage with a dildo Jerry tries to thrust his flacid manhood into the open chest cavity of the universe's most well loved advocate voiced by Werner Herzog. Jerry does this because he believes it will make the entire universe happy with him.

e. really just take any one of your top 3 favorite moments from any episode and try to explain them to someone who hast watched it, then go back with the appreciation that your brain has adapted so much to this crazy poo poo that you are completely misjudging this episode. Watch it again detective babylegs, crack the case.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 22, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I don't want to trash the last episode because it was a little mixed for me, but I wanted to say the comic book decided to match the show recently. It was literally a dream episode... Er issue, that obviously didn't mean anything, phoned in, but at least Scary Terry was in it.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
"Security, take him away. Take him outta here. Kill him. Sic him. Demons. Suck his life out. I don't give a poo poo."

This episode gets also one million points for remembering and subsequently using "Popcorn"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3ZP6frAMc

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've never seen more than two episodes of Community, and I didn't see the first "improv" episode of Rick & Morty.

I enjoyed this episode.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I enjoyed octopus man because it's obvious that Roiland was very very drunk

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Krampus Grewcock posted:

The plumbus is the real star of the episode.

Man I always wondered how... those... were made.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When roiland is drunk it's more like he his tripping, the way he talks and giggles. Alcohol combined with his normal psychosis must produce something similar to what normal people experience on hallucinogens.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That episode kinda sucked rear end but hey everything else has been gold so it's easy to forgive one slip up.

It just wasn't that funny to me to be clear. Like some of the jokes landed but a lot of the time me and my friend were just kinda waiting for something interesting to actually happen.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 22, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That episode kinda sucked rear end but he everything else has been gold so it's easy to forgive one slip up.

At least now we all know to never ask for another meeseeks episode. Just never revisit anything

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

At least now we all know to never ask for another meeseeks episode. Just never revisit anything

Or don't revisit something unless you've got a compelling reason. If they think of a top-notch hilarious Meeseeks story, then another Meeseeks episode is fine. But you shouldn't push it trying to recreate something great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can't help but wonder if the B-plot with Jerry's 'moral dilemma' is what's secretly turning people off of the episode. I was surprised to find out seemingly half the people on the internet didn't like it--thought it was the worst episode of the show (clearly they've forgotten about Get Schwifty, or Anatomy Park). For me I'd place it somewhere in the middle for season 2. A tad below "Total Rickall" and "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" but better than last week's episode for sure, and a few others. I'm just curious if getting hung up on having to choose between your penis and billion's of peoples lives is the source for the hate on the internet.

• Locked thread