Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mister Macys posted:

Canonization only happens after death bro.

410. The "generally accepted" last gasp of the Western Roman Empire™.
After that, I skip medieval history up until the viking era. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

So this is not really RWM but I was wondering...

Is there a place on SA where people make fun of Mens Rights things or the PUA (pick-up artist) community?

These dudes in my town have a coffee shop. They also kept a blog and did podcasts about their sexual conquests. Welp, real life caught up with their secret online personas and poo poo hit the fan. It looks like they will be closing up shop soon based on how big of a mess this is causing.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/09/20/west-asheville-coffee-brewed-outrage/72536502/

Here you can see Reddit's "The Red Pill" community's responses to this specific story: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/3lnflx/psa_be_cautious_of_your_online_persona/

Is there a better place to put this stuff?

'sup neighbor!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Guilty posted:

The Alcoholic Republic talks about alcohol use in the colonial and postcolonial US. You can really see where the Temperance movement was coming from. This blog post, where a woman attempts to drink like a colonial and fails miserably, is amusing.

Basically modern attitudes toward the drinking of alcohol are very, very modern and a lot of history makes more sense when you realize what percentage of waking hours people spent tilted back when clean drinking water wasn't a guarantee.

I'm trying to puzzle out how water was safe enough in Central Asia that Islam could prohibit alcohol.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Dammit_Carl! posted:

'sup neighbor!

Hey there! :wave:
It looks like the bang bros were in the process of opening a second location downtown, but organization providing the financing has decided not to help anymore.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get a hotel in Asheville in October? I'm not planning on staying in some quaint as all gently caress B&B or whatever.

Cardboard Box A posted:

And... so has Ted Cruz.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2015/09/21/ted-cruz-says-ben-carson-is-wrong-barring-muslims-from-oval-office-is/

“You know, the Constitution specifies there shall be no religious test for public office, and I am a constitutionalist,” Cruz said.

So yeah share that with your Facebook friends

I saw this darling of a headline last night: Ted Cruz Blames Obama For The Way Carson Talked About Muslims

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Hey there! :wave:
It looks like the bang bros were in the process of opening a second location downtown, but organization providing the financing has decided not to help anymore.

Hah.

Work directly across from their spot on Haywood - the protest turn out was priceless just to see my bible thumping boss get all bent out of shape at the girl carrying the, "No More loving Mysogynist Bullshit," sign for hours yesterday.

Anyhoo, won't poo poo up this thread with this particular topic any further...

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

McDowell posted:

I'm trying to puzzle out how water was safe enough in Central Asia that Islam could prohibit alcohol.

Well moslems are magic, supposedly, so I'm sure they just abra ka dabrad the germs out of it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Matt Walsh is worried

I wonder what it's like to look at Ted Cruz and think, "Yes, that is a man that should be President."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm pretty sure that the meme of historical people drinking nothing but booze is bullshit. If you actually read things written in those times they describe drinking water quite often. For instance, Jesus did like his wine, but if you read the rest of the New Testament, you get passages like the one about the woman at the well, where he drinks plain water just fine. I'm not sure that surviving drinking unboiled water was supposed to be one of his miracles...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

McDowell posted:

It wasn't. Mostly Muslims just drank alcohol anyways. They could also substitute alcoholic drinks for coffee and tea, which both involve boiling water.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm pretty sure that the meme of historical people drinking nothing but booze is bullshit. If you actually read things written in those times they describe drinking water quite often. For instance, Jesus did like his wine, but if you read the rest of the New Testament, you get passages like the one about the woman at the well, where he drinks plain water just fine. I'm not sure that surviving drinking unboiled water was supposed to be one of his miracles...

Cities got a lot dirtier in the middle ages in europe then it was before and after, and that colors western perception of this stuff a lot as well.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Rush Limbaugh posted:

Okay, let's say we have a president who's Muslim, and the Iranians end up with a nuclear weapon, that would make sense, right? Uh, that's happened, with a Christian president. Isn't that amazing.

So now we're skipping past "the deal might eventually lead to Iran getting a nuclear weapon" and going straight to "they already have one?" As far as I can tell, they think Obama personally handed a suitcase nuke to the Ayatollah. Honestly, this issue is making me so mad, because there's not even a pretense of thought, it's just "Obama not bombing Iran=giving them a nuke."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Modern wine is about as strong as it can be, since it ferments until either the sugar about runs out, or the yeast starts to die from alcohol poisoning. Historical wine would be either that strong, minus hundreds/thousands of years of breeding sweeter grapes and alcohol-tolerant yeast.

If you go back to ancient Egypt beer was a significant source of nutrition, but it was sorta thick soupy beer and maybe in the 3% alcohol range. In the more medieval era, beer about as strong as we have today was available, though "small beer" with less alcohol was what children or workers drank. Which yes, meant lots of people were pretty drunk still, but if people were watering their drinks down historically it wasn't because they were freakishly strong by modern standards, but for the same reason people today don't drink nothing but beer and wine.

People might be thinking of the US of the late 18th and early 19th century, where everyone on the coasts was drunk on imported rum, and inland farmers made a lot of their crops into whiskey and cider since it was easier to store and take to market. Drunkenness was a historic high there, which is a whole lot of why the temperance movement a few generations later was so strong.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

McDowell posted:

That is probably the case.

Only drink water - get sick from ringworm and wasting disease.

Booze + water - feeling groovy

Didn't tea get adopted for similar reasons? Boiling water kills the poo poo that lives in it, but boiled water tastes like rear end so no one would willingly drink it if they didn't know better. But you have to boil water to make tea anyway, and tea tastes pretty alright, so people who drank tea wound up being healthier?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Keeshhound posted:

boiled water tastes like rear end so no one would willingly drink it if they didn't know better

Tell that to everyone in China.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Uhhhh, did people back then not know of the amazing technology for letting hot water cool down or something

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think the Chinese know about that technology today

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Magres posted:

Yep those people who've been spouting about RaHoWa for the past decade sure are just kidding guys :rolleyes:

They've been doing it a lot longer than that. They've also been dying of old age, because rule one of shitbaggery is you're a follower not a leader. Rule two is keep your powder dry for the war that is coming buuut never actually arriving. Occasionally one of them will pop off, and they're immediately dismissed as a lone-wolf/false-flag. They aren't worth the time it takes to dismiss them. I say that as someone who'd be right up against the wall if they did manage to kick off their new pogroms. At this point though, who wouldn't?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Uhhhh, did people back then not know of the amazing technology for letting hot water cool down or something

If you drink it hot, then you know it's been heated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been watching Fox News all day, which is something I sometimes do when I'm just in a good enough mood to laugh at it because really paying attention is hilarious. Like the major stories on today's news cycle are Scott Walker, the Pope, Ben Carson, and Russia/Syria but the #1 story on almost every hour of Fox News? Hillary Clinton and the many ways she's DOOMED (the FBI is probably/kinda/maybe investigating her and if they're not its only because Obama is conspiring to let her off the hook but only because he secretly hates her and wants the scandal to linger; she's scared of Joe Biden who's totally running for President even though he's got no structure or anything in place as deadlines approach).

My favorite stuff I've heard on Fox News today?

- Hillary Clinton saying that she wouldn't let Republicans get rid of Obamacare will really hurt her in the election because Democrats clearly hate Obamacare as much as Republicans do.

- The liberals are scared of Ben Carson which is why they've trumped up this whole fake scandal with their "gotcha questions" like "do you think Muslims should be allowed to be president?"

- If the US abstains from a UN vote condemning the US's embargo of Cuba it will be a "dictator" move by Obama that will outrage the UN, even though the UN will then pretty much unanimously vote to condemn the embargo except for Israel, Palau, and maybe Vanuatu. Because those are influential countries. Oh, also the President has no right to lobby for laws to change and if he does then he's a dictator.

Sometimes its just fun to listen to Fox New's bubble talk.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I've been watching Fox News all day, which is something I sometimes do when I'm just in a good enough mood to laugh at it because really paying attention is hilarious. Like the major stories on today's news cycle are Scott Walker, the Pope, Ben Carson, and Russia/Syria but the #1 story on almost every hour of Fox News? Hillary Clinton and the many ways she's DOOMED (the FBI is probably/kinda/maybe investigating her and if they're not its only because Obama is conspiring to let her off the hook but only because he secretly hates her and wants the scandal to linger; she's scared of Joe Biden who's totally running for President even though he's got no structure or anything in place as deadlines approach).

My favorite stuff I've heard on Fox News today?

- Hillary Clinton saying that she wouldn't let Republicans get rid of Obamacare will really hurt her in the election because Democrats clearly hate Obamacare as much as Republicans do.

- The liberals are scared of Ben Carson which is why they've trumped up this whole fake scandal with their "gotcha questions" like "do you think Muslims should be allowed to be president?"

- If the US abstains from a UN vote condemning the US's embargo of Cuba it will be a "dictator" move by Obama that will outrage the UN, even though the UN will then pretty much unanimously vote to condemn the embargo except for Israel, Palau, and maybe Vanuatu. Because those are influential countries. Oh, also the President has no right to lobby for laws to change and if he does then he's a dictator.

Sometimes its just fun to listen to Fox New's bubble talk.

You are a far more brave person than I am. I can't watch it for more than 10 min without getting a pressure headache.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/09/21/white-house-releases-official-statement-calls-the-entire-republican-party-racist-video/

Well, it's not new info but boy is it nice to see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Usually that's me too, but sometimes I'm just in the right mood to just laugh at it. I think Scott Walker dropping out just made it so I could laugh for awhile. By the time The Five comes on it will wear off and my head will hurt too.

Oh, I forgot that Fox keeps doing stories on whether The Pope is going to get killed in the US! Gretchen Carlson's doing it now and its the third time I've seen the network do a segment on the Pope Deadpool today.

I'm starting to think they may want the Pope to get shot so they could be extra mad at Obama (besides just how furious they are that he invited pro-choice and gay people to hear the Pope speak). Plus that might stop the Pope from talking about global warming or how evil capitalism is.

Oh, also they're outraged that some Democrats are hoping the Pope will talk about global warming, immigration, refuges, or capitalism because its disgusting they'd try and politicize the Pope's visit like that. But they really take the Pope takes this opportunity to speak about Planned Parenthood because that's totally different.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 22, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The anger-sphere is going to explode. Every right wing media guy with a persecution complex (so all of them) is going to boil over with rage.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

robotsinmyhead posted:

Add to this, "Only drink wine and probably be relatively hosed up every day and hungover every morning"

People mixed water and booze to get the best of both worlds. The water was terrible and possibly deadly to drink, but you can't get things done when you're drunk all day. Sailors used to drink Grog, which was Rum that was watered down, as a staple.

The gentleman who invented grog was Admiral Edward 'Old Grog' Vernon. This is interesting because... yes, as it happens, Mount Vernon, George Washington's home, _was_ named after him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Obamacare is so unpopular not even the GOP presidential candidates want to talk about it! #tcot

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Not perfect but close enough.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I'm starting to think they may want the Pope to get shot so they could be extra mad at Obama (besides just how furious they are that he invited pro-choice and gay people to hear the Pope speak). Plus that might stop the Pope from talking about global warming or how evil capitalism is.

They're definitely hoping for this, it's a double win for them. They don't have to hear his inconvenient views on climate change, and they get to cry about how this only happened because anti-Christianity is at an all time high.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

McDowell posted:

Teas, Tisanes and Sherberts were popular alternatives that also killed all the bad stuff. Plus wine was everywhere in Muslim countries and people drank tons of it. A lot of people interpreted the prohibition of alcohol as a prohibition of distilled spirits (a running theme when it comes to temperance movements everywhere). People still drank tons of distilled spirits but that was pretty much men only and gradually became more and more ritualized.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Congrats Salon for playing into every right-wing stereotype of anyone left of center.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/21/im_a_pedophile_but_not_a_monster/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The posts on the right are all by the guy who wrote the article.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 23, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Jesus Christ, the one who volunteered to be an art teacher. :stonk:

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Nckdictator posted:

Congrats Salon for playing into every right-wing stereotype of anyone left of center.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/21/im_a_pedophile_but_not_a_monster/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Tagged as "Virtuous Pedophiles," wtf

this is gonna blow up on reddit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

The Alcoholic Republic talks about alcohol use in the colonial and postcolonial US. You can really see where the Temperance movement was coming from. This blog post, where a woman attempts to drink like a colonial and fails miserably, is amusing.

Basically modern attitudes toward the drinking of alcohol are very, very modern and a lot of history makes more sense when you realize what percentage of waking hours people spent tilted back when clean drinking water wasn't a guarantee.

This is fantastic. Everybody should read this because it really reveals how the past - even the recent past in our own country - really is enormously foreign

That said, I'd like to see someone who doesn't have the tolerance of an 8 year old try this with the added potency of the hip flask shots which were common, but like Marijuana is today - extremely commonly used, but not much talked about because stigma.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 22, 2015

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

This makes me so happy.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

MariusLecter posted:

Jesus Christ, the one who volunteered to be an art teacher. :stonk:

Their all past comments of the guy who wrote the article.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Quorum posted:

In the classical and ancient Hellenic world, which definitely included Roman Judea, wine was watered as a matter of course, probably because the booze was so strong. This doesn't mean it wasn't intoxicating, though; quite the opposite. I've heard it argued that when the Biblical account refers to the wine being the quality stuff it means there's less water mixed with it.

Fun fact: if you were at a really hopping Roman party and were the guest of honor-- say, the dude getting betrothed to your host's daughter or something-- you'd be the arbiter bibendi, the wine judge, and you'd be the one who got to determine how much water to mix with the wine. So always get in good with the arbiter bibendi when you're at a Roman kegger.

"Tonight on CNN: Chiron from the group Centaur Lives Matter will discuss the recent allegations that the Lapiths intentionally left Nessus's wine unwatered!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Obama is right.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
This cyborg pedophile should team up with that radioactive pedophile and start a Pedovengers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't know about monster but he's monstrously delusional if he thinks he's really walking around in a world where everyone knows he's the "no touch" kind of pedophile, all have squared that with themselves, and then also all decide his dedication to young women is a coincidence.

Not everyone deserves enabling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Moktaro posted:

"Tonight on CNN: Chiron from the group Centaur Lives Matter will discuss the recent allegations that the Lapiths intentionally left Nessus's wine unwatered!"

Satyr Lyfe drink undiluted wine err'y dayyay.

Dionysus, bitches! :rock: