Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

fordan posted:

Regarding closing apps, there's one I'll often do it to when done using it: Waze. It doesn't know when to let go in the background. I'll use it on the drive to the train station, get on the train,mans 10 minutes later announce to those nearby on the train with me "POLICE REPORTED AHEAD."

Michael Scott posted:

Hahahah the exact same thing happened to me on the train, yep. "POTHOLE REPORTED AHEAD." And it's super loud and clear, too, like it's coming from the train itself.

Haha! Sup "Waze alerting fellow passengers on the train" bros :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, your phone is under warranty for a year, so bring a proof of purchase just in case. You might need an appointment depending on how busy the store is.
Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, your phone is under warranty for a year, so bring a proof of purchase just in case. You might need an appointment depending on how busy the store is.

Never a bad thing to have, but they'll most likely just use the serial number to track the warranty. I've never had to show anything more than that on a variety of times.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

Maybe you don't, but I do. Sorry about your lack of stock ownership. (Alternatively, congratulations on your complex portfolio requiring more in-depth trading desk apps).

Regarding closing apps, there's one I'll often do it to when done using it: Waze. It doesn't know when to let go in the background. I'll use it on the drive to the train station, get on the train,mans 10 minutes later announce to those nearby on the train with me "POLICE REPORTED AHEAD."

I use the little power button on the waze screen for this reason. That way it still sends the leaving notifications and stuff (it might do this if force closed as well).

But what we're talking about is phone janitoring from distinctly bad janitors. They're compulsive about managing poo poo they don't understand and that behaviour is probably counterproductive. I'm willing to bet that it costs more power to force quit Facebook.app every three minutes after you compulsively check it than it ever would use running in the background over that same period of time. It's the same as turning off wifi and Bluetooth every time you leave home because some "computer guy" at work told you they kill your battery.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My mother sent me a message this morning that her iPhone got an update and that her battery life has drastically dropped. She wants to know if there's a way to determine which of the built-in apps is causing this and if there's a way to disable/downgrade them. As I'm more Android side of the house, I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with this. I think she has an iPhone6 and she's on AT&T, if that helps.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
The Apple Store told my mom yesterday to reboot her phone every two days. Why? Who knows? Presumably for "performance "

He also told her that the crescent moon issue on the front facing camera on the 6 is not a known issue. She called me and put the "genius" on the phone and I told him how my 6 was fixed at that very same store 3 days ago....

So who knows about these employees some of them are apparently pretty dumb.

Maybe I should email Tim.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Toshimo posted:

My mother sent me a message this morning that her iPhone got an update and that her battery life has drastically dropped. She wants to know if there's a way to determine which of the built-in apps is causing this and if there's a way to disable/downgrade them. As I'm more Android side of the house, I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with this. I think she has an iPhone6 and she's on AT&T, if that helps.

Settings > Battery

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

Does she know that google is a thing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tuyop posted:

Does she know that google is a thing?

She's retirement age, so no, not really.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Settings > Battery

Thanks.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Toshimo posted:

If she just updated and wasn't plugged in for a while right after then it might be the OS reindexing the content of her phone that's eating her battery; there were some major expansions of the Spotlight search with iOS 9. That wouldn't be an ongoing issue, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuyop posted:

I use the little power button on the waze screen for this reason. That way it still sends the leaving notifications and stuff (it might do this if force closed as well).

But what we're talking about is phone janitoring from distinctly bad janitors. They're compulsive about managing poo poo they don't understand and that behaviour is probably counterproductive. I'm willing to bet that it costs more power to force quit Facebook.app every three minutes after you compulsively check it than it ever would use running in the background over that same period of time. It's the same as turning off wifi and Bluetooth every time you leave home because some "computer guy" at work told you they kill your battery.

Can we just stop assuming people are closing apps incorrectly whenever it's brought up? And it's really weird that you would choose facebook.app of all things as your example since historically it's the #1 offender for doing ridiculous background poo poo. No, that doesn't mean quit it every three minutes just to check it again, but it certainly is one to be mindful of.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress all Facebook apps. Just use the mobile site.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Kaizoku posted:

Can we just stop assuming people are closing apps incorrectly whenever it's brought up? And it's really weird that you would choose facebook.app of all things as your example since historically it's the #1 offender for doing ridiculous background poo poo. No, that doesn't mean quit it every three minutes just to check it again, but it certainly is one to be mindful of.

I don't get why people have issue with what others do with their device that literally makes no difference one way or another. Guess people gotta rage about something.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't get why people have issue with what others do with their device that literally makes no difference one way or another. Guess people gotta rage about something.

Phones are like religion, and I don't meant android vs iPhone. To most people the very act of using it has so many mysteries and incantations involved that they find rituals that seem to affirm or deny their beliefs.

*fartz*

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Phones are like religion, and I don't meant android vs iPhone. To most people the very act of using it has so many mysteries and incantations involved that they find rituals that seem to affirm or deny their beliefs.

*fartz*

I love it.

Edit: so how long does the phone last now with low power mode kicking in at 20%?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 22, 2015

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress all Facebook apps. Just use the mobile site.

Messenger is pretty awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

Messenger is pretty awesome.

Paper is also pretty awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IMO, Messenger and Paper both blow. There.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Facebook can suck a fat D

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just feel like someone people will jump to "BALSKJDALKSJ DFUCK FACEBOOK!" possibly without using their products past the main app.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
So many people absolutely REFUSED to download messenger recently. I don't understand the backlash.. these people are on Facebook bitching about how they're going to refuse to download a separate app ... from Facebook. That'll show 'em.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Paper is Facebook and Messenger combined. Paper also uses way less background data.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

glassyalabolas posted:

Paper is Facebook and Messenger combined. Paper also uses way less background data.

Wait can I replace both of them with Paper?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baller Witness Bro posted:

So many people absolutely REFUSED to download messenger recently. I don't understand the backlash.. these people are on Facebook bitching about how they're going to refuse to download a separate app ... from Facebook. That'll show 'em.
The only people I've seen complain about this are an iPhone user who refused for the ~principle~ and the other was an Android user who says it takes over your phone, which is probably accurate what with its broken permissions model.

various cheeses posted:

I ended up deleting Paper since there's stuff the regular app does that Paper still doesn't.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Yes.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

When it app asks me every time I use it if I want to enable notifications (hint: I don't), it becomes a nuisance and gets deleted.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Here's a few deals on iphone cases for really cheap if anyone is interested. The leather ones look interesting if you like to leave your wallet at home when you go out or something.

http://tiny.cc/b21p3x

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gently caress the Facebook and Messenger apps. Just use the mobile site.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress the Facebook and Messenger apps. Just use the mobile site.
Unless you want push notifications?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Unless you want push notifications?

I don't.

Also what's the deal with the 2 week updates on facebook apps? The patch notes are always vague "this app has been updated to make it better!" with nothing else listed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can always use email notifications from FB for that. I don't care about push notifications, I don't need to be constantly reminded to check FB because someone invited me to a stupid event or something. I check it two or three times a day and don't worry about it the rest of the time.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

If you plan to "restore" you will be required to install 8.4.1 at least, if it's still being signed. Maybe iOS 9...I haven't bothered to check the signing status this round.

You may be right..I'm not sure. Haven't done it that route personally.

Endless Mike posted:

If you do it via iTunes, I'm fairly certain it will pull down the latest update. If you restore from iCloud, I think it will stay with whatever is on there.

Poala Bear posted:

If you erase all contents and settings from the Settings App, and then through iTunes "Restore from Backup", I'm 85% sure you'll stay on whatever iOS version you're on. I had 8.3 on my iphone 6 and when I did a "Restore from Backup" it kept it on 8.3.

This was last week, before iOS 9 was released, but obviously only 8.4.1 was being signed.

That's two for Forced to Download Latest OS, one for Nope. Anybody got a definitive answer?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

various cheeses posted:

I don't.

Also what's the deal with the 2 week updates on facebook apps? The patch notes are always vague "this app has been updated to make it better!" with nothing else listed.

Submitting an update to remind everyone the apps exist is very cheap marketing for them.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That's two for Forced to Download Latest OS, one for Nope. Anybody got a definitive answer?

10 seconds and a Google enquiry got me an apple dev-post saying it doesn't.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Khablam posted:

Submitting an update to remind everyone the apps exist is very cheap marketing for them.
That and it's just how Agile works these days.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I not only refused, I left Facebook and went Twitter only. My home screen is precious real estate, Facebook is not going to take up three or four spots.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Mulva posted:

I not only refused, I left Facebook and went Twitter only. My home screen is precious real estate, Facebook is not going to take up three or four spots.

Source your quotes?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Endless Mike posted:

The only people I've seen complain about this are an iPhone user who refused for the ~principle~ and the other was an Android user who says it takes over your phone, which is probably accurate what with its broken permissions model.

Yeah, Messenger is way better on iOS since it doesn't pop up the little bubbles with your friends' faces over top of everything you're doing.

Mulva posted:

I tried this a couple years ago but my friends are just way too bought into Facebook at this point. If you have an active circle of Twitter friends I'm sure it's a great alternative.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Space Racist posted:

Yeah, Messenger is way better on iOS since it doesn't pop up the little bubbles with your friends' faces over top of everything you're doing.

You can turn off the messenger bubbles on Android. I agree that making them default to on is loving stupid, though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only have the FB app installed, not the Messager app. I get push notifications from the app, and this includes private messages. Whenever I get a notification, I unlock the phone, and go to Safari to deal with it. And just to be OCD, I turn off the Badge Icon for the FB app and stuff it in a junk folder, so I never have to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Space Racist posted:

I tried this a couple years ago but my friends are just way too bought into Facebook at this point. If you have an active circle of Twitter friends I'm sure it's a great alternative.

I recently restarted twitter and find I just end up keeping up with internet people I don't know (news sites, bloggers, artists, etc...). I feel like I already consume way too much web junk and need to dial it back. Facebook is all people I know, kinda know, just met, or probably will meet eventually. Would rather keep up with people I really care about and spend time with.