Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats a good trade strategy for United Italy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

Maybe Humiliation should have more effect, like giving unrest in the enemy, granting the victor stability, and maybe some other thing. That way the player wouldn't always be inclined to fight wars of national annihilation, at least not non-powergamers.

Or maybe replace the victory card system with a Rivals Humiliated Score.

Humiliation is great! The issue is just that the game rewards conquest a bit too much even still. Or fails to penalize it enough. I don't know.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Dibujante posted:

Humiliation is great! The issue is just that the game rewards conquest a bit too much even still. Or fails to penalize it enough. I don't know.

IIRC Humiliation barely puts you over the Monarch point threshold and it doesn't last very long.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am trying to create a custom nation for a very tall game focused heavily on development to try a few ideas regarding that.

Unfortunately, there is no custom modifier for goods produced. This is going to be a chink in my tiny-tall op save :(

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

IIRC Humiliation barely puts you over the Monarch point threshold and it doesn't last very long.

3 rivals + 3 embargoes + humiliate is 15 + (3-30; let's go with 3) + 30, or 48 PP. However, you get another 10 PP from declaring war, and you also have a remaining 60% warscore to demand other things from them that gives you PP. Probably it will only get you a bit above your threshold, but if you chain-humiliate your rivals you can stay at ~100 PP indefinitely.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dibujante posted:

3 rivals + 3 embargoes + humiliate is 15 + (3-30; let's go with 3) + 30, or 48 PP. However, you get another 10 PP from declaring war, and you also have a remaining 60% warscore to demand other things from them that gives you PP. Probably it will only get you a bit above your threshold, but if you chain-humiliate your rivals you can stay at ~100 PP indefinitely.

I was almost able to keep a stable 50+ PP as Tunis by having Spain, Portugal, and Lithuania as rivals, while embargoing them, and privateering them at their trade nodes. If I supported rebels in one of them I would have been able to for a little bit of ducats per month. No wars or humiliations required. It was neat.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Another thing that can be a little frustrating with warscore, is that the AI doesn't often build forts in places like colonized provinces. So that means you can control a ton of these provinces (like, all of Siberia) and still get only +0.10 warscore for each province, which the AI won't even let you demand because you haven't sieged down the nearest fort which is 2000 miles west of there. I understand that under most circumstances it makes sense to make forts super important for warscore, but I'm not sure that applies if the AI refuses to build them.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Another thing that can be a little frustrating with warscore, is that the AI doesn't often build forts in places like colonized provinces. So that means you can control a ton of these provinces (like, all of Siberia) and still get only +0.10 warscore for each province, which the AI won't even let you demand because you haven't sieged down the nearest fort which is 2000 miles west of there. I understand that under most circumstances it makes sense to make forts super important for warscore, but I'm not sure that applies if the AI refuses to build them.

This could be fixed if the wargoal province also counted as a fort in terms of warscore, as well as the "demanding x without controlling any forts in the area" penalty to peace acceptance.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Made an immediate reattempt at Big Blue Piece of poo poo. I was two loans away from bankruptcy, but I did it! Fzrance is victorious.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 22, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Node posted:

Made an immediate reattempt at Big Blue Piece of poo poo. I was two loans away from bankruptcy, but I did it!

FZRANCE

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Node posted:

Made an immediate reattempt at Big Blue Piece of poo poo. I was two loans away from bankruptcy, but I did it! Fzrance is victorious.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Europa Universalis IV: Vive la Fzr ance!

e: also I've been wanting to do a BBB run so my

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 22, 2015

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

You need to hit 100 provinces by 1500.Therefore, the strategy to go for lovely, cheap provinces that you can eat a lot of any not get hilariously overextended IE the Russian steppe and Scandinavia.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Fzr ance is great, I love when the map just kind of gets confused like that. My favorite is still the Inca because if you expand super quickly in order to cut the Europeans off you get this weird three headed snake thing and the game just kind of gives up and puts a random rotation on almost every letter. Go I ZC A!

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Yea I've had that happen a few times.

Best one:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Where did the Y go, I need to know.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Has anyone played Burgundy recently? I had the PU with Holland break on monarch death but none of the others broke and I have no clue why.

e: Never mind, they had backwards monarch.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe Humiliation shouldn't be a Rival only thing, but have an increased effect if enforced on a Rival. This might also help with the really lovely calculation for valid rivals.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'd like to see rival selection tweaked. You shouldn't lose one during a war if you can't select one at the same time. Either let us choose new ones during wartime, or don't let rivals drop during.

Also, there needs to be a minimum time frame for someone to stay a rival. I swear I've had some switch between being valid/invalid once a month over the course of a year, and it drives me crazy to see the same country drop off the list then return almost immediately. Make it a 5 year minimum period after selection or something

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Shroud posted:

I'd like to see rival selection tweaked. You shouldn't lose one during a war if you can't select one at the same time. Either let us choose new ones during wartime, or don't let rivals drop during.

Also, there needs to be a minimum time frame for someone to stay a rival. I swear I've had some switch between being valid/invalid once a month over the course of a year, and it drives me crazy to see the same country drop off the list then return almost immediately. Make it a 5 year minimum period after selection or something

Whilst we're piling things into a list, I would love it it rival mechanics were more moddable. For the new Europa Gooniversalis we're trying to reduce the timer between changing rivals and maybe add more slots (because it's multiplayer-focused) and we're having trouble with that.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

Humiliation has been what has kept my PP sky high. It is also a good place to use uo war score early game when you don't always want to go for the full war score worth of provinces due to overextension and AE. I personally don't think it needs too much tweaking.

Btw, I'm sure this has been posted before so could someone point me for a suggested idea set for Sweden and a good general game approach. I'm thinking of having a go at Lion of the North and Sweden is not overpowered. The initial independence war is pretty straightforward it more the longer term thing about colonisation vs continental focus and when to make the colonisation push if at all that I'm interested in.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Munin posted:

Humiliation has been what has kept my PP sky high. It is also a good place to use uo war score early game when you don't always want to go for the full war score worth of provinces due to overextension and AE. I personally don't think it needs too much tweaking.

Btw, I'm sure this has been posted before so could someone point me for a suggested idea set for Sweden and a good general game approach. I'm thinking of having a go at Lion of the North and Sweden is not overpowered. The initial independence war is pretty straightforward it more the longer term thing about colonisation vs continental focus and when to make the colonisation push if at all that I'm interested in.

Exploration as a 4th idea set works just fine. It will take about that long to get the range anyways unless you do something silly like taking Iceland when you first break free.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LLSix posted:

Exploration as a 4th idea set works just fine. It will take about that long to get the range anyways unless you do something silly like taking Iceland when you first break free.
Whats so silly about that?!? I've been thinking of playing a game as Sweden where after the first war I stay a junior partner but chomp a bunch of land off of Denmark and Norway.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Munin posted:

Sweden doesn't have to colonize to be relevant throughout the game. Taking a pseudo mil admin idea like Administrative(cheaper mercs + coring cost), Innovative(tech cost, war exhaustion, and a leader), or Religious (glorious CB) and then taking either Quantity, Offensive, or Defensive lets you just absolutely mow down Russians and Baltic Minors. Your troops will be basically as good as Prussians the only real problem is you have to take a lot of land because all the land surrounding you is really lovely except for really high AE provinces in the HRE and Danzig.

Once you're free try to get Poland as an ally to fight the TO for Danzig, and once you have it, ally France, Muscovy, or Austria and focus on conquering as much of the richer baltic provinces as you can (Novgorod, Lubeck, etc.) Depending on how far you expand in a given direction either Poland or Muscovy will hate you but that's ok, both of them can be kicked down a notch in a single war. Poland if you can tank their prestige and break their union, and Muscovy if you just stop them from gobbling up Novgorod and then just wait to jump onto the dogpile when they start war with the Hordes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there any way to dupe an ironman game? I'm doing an achievement run and am in a good position to get it but also there is opportunity to experiment with mechanics. Unfortunately if I gently caress it up I'm going to get stomped by everyone I pissed off so I don't want to...

Can I copy my ironman game to local so I can test some stuff?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

As Sweden you should definitely at some point pick up Quality and the idea groups that with quality enable policies that give your troops combat ability. You can get something insane like a cumulative +50% infantry combat ability and +30% artillery combat ability that way.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

double nine posted:

Is there any way to dupe an ironman game? I'm doing an achievement run and am in a good position to get it but also there is opportunity to experiment with mechanics. Unfortunately if I gently caress it up I'm going to get stomped by everyone I pissed off so I don't want to...

The "ironman" is just a way of preventing the text file from being directly edited. I've never had any problems copying/moving the save file from the steam cache to the local save folder. Overwriting the one in the steam cache can play funny due to how the that works, but that's due to steam, not EUIV.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Is the "Failed administration" event from the admin ideas group supposed to fire when I'm at positive stability? According to the wiki, it should only fire if I'm at -2 stab. I've had it trigger thrice in like 20 years and it's getting a bit silly that this idea group just tanks my stability.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Would joining the Empire be worth having fun with or would it mess up Lion of the North?

I also rather like colonialism but it would mean getting pulled a bit in all directions. At least it is easier putting the boot into Muscovy these days. They ended up being a non-factor in my recent "All the Romes" game and I ended up getting my jollies from repeatedly kicking a huge Commonwealth. A Spain/Austria Union also made things rather interesting for a while.

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 22, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

double nine posted:

Instructions on how to find your cloud saves are here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-to-find-your-savegames.877037/

You can copy them to local and gently caress around with them all you want. Though when I've tried I can't actually seem to de-ironman them. I was trying to see if I could get a copy I could TAG around in to see what was causing an AI so much grief, but never got that to work.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

I love all these complaints about the AI throwing in their all to help out their AI allies juxtaposed with earlier talk about the uselessness of people's own allies.

And here you have it. Players want AIs to gice 400% when fighting in their wars and white peace instantly if outnumbered by 0.1% when their enemy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

As others have posted you're totally fine making a backup. As long as you don't edit the text file itself you won't de-ironman.

YF-23 posted:

As Sweden you should definitely at some point pick up Quality and the idea groups that with quality enable policies that give your troops combat ability. You can get something insane like a cumulative +50% infantry combat ability and +30% artillery combat ability that way.

Quality is well and good but IMO pick up Defensive as your first military set for Sweden. Combat ability is nice but what Sweden is sorely lacking is Morale bonuses, they get good Discipline, Combat Ability, and manpower from NIs. Sweden is also well-positioned to make good use of chokepoint forts in the Danish straits and Finland, plus you're not all that wealthy and the -10% land and fort maintenance helps a lot.

Munin posted:

Would joining the Empire be worth having fun with or would it mess up Lion of the North?

I also rather like colonialism but it would mean getting pulled a bit in all directions. At least it is easier putting the boot into Muscovy these days. They ended up being a non-factor in my recent "All the Romes" game and I ended up getting my jollies from repeatedly kicking a huge Commonwealth. A Spain/Austria Union also made things rather interesting for a while.

Definitely join the Empire. Take Blekinge during your independence war and butter up Austria, release Finland once you're independent and join the HRE. It won't mess up Lion of the North and will make expansion and politicking in the HRE a lot easier.

You could go colonial as Sweden but if you want to grab Lion and maybe the achievement for owning all the Baltic, colonies are going to take a lot of your income and resources for not too much benefit. No problem taking Exploration as a fourth idea after you've eaten Norway or whatever, but it will slow down your European expansion.

Wiz posted:

And here you have it. Players want AIs to gice 400% when fighting in their wars and white peace instantly if outnumbered by 0.1% when their enemy.

Eh, I posted that I would like it cutting both ways -- AI allies are more willing to white peace, but so are the player's own allies. It's a little too easy in some cases to just ally a big attack dog neighbor and let them handle all your defense.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 22, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

This would all be solved if you introduced a bug in 1.15 that only allows AIs to ally players.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiz posted:

What I hate is that my enemy's allies always do their dirty work, and my own allies rarely do it unless it's against some country I can't even reach because that's their rival. Or my ally has been my friend for centuries but they grew enough to be in my rival range or vice versa and suddenly hate me with a passion.

Also it would be nice if the AI could somehow tell me what it considers theirs, so I don't accidentally take some unclaimed province that the AI is planning to take and I suddenly incur -200 with my allies from Desired Province.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

Eh, I am just saying that allies that join a war but then sit on the other side of the world doing nothing preventing me from ending a war that is otherwise over is tiresome and seems pretty fixable. If there is an ally in a war that has not fought a battle, blockaded a port, or sieged a province of the Primary war target or aggressor, that country should not factor into the target/aggressor being willing to end the war or not.

In other news, has there been a timeline posted regarding the upgrades to the Nation Designer and other related functionalities?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Maybe there should be a maximum warscore based on CB.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I think that the AI should just peace out for at least 50 war score if you siege a fort or win a battle since that's realistic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shayu posted:

I think that the AI should just peace out for at least 50 war score if you siege a fort or win a battle since that's realistic.
Nah it is may more realistic that they run themselves out of manpower and deeply into debt when I am trying to take a peripheral off-culture province from them and dont want more.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The AI will actually peace out relevant to what the CB is. Diplomatic Dispute CB will generally only take one big battle before the AI is willing to peace out. Trade Dispute might require a siege. Note, I said peace out, as in be willing to white peace over it. The AI, I think, is extremely reluctant to surrender land, any land at all. Try to get St.Helena off of Spain as GB required me to destroy their whole military and their entire navy before they'd give it up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bort Bortles posted:

Nah it is may more realistic that they run themselves out of manpower and deeply into debt when I am trying to take a peripheral off-culture province from them and dont want more.

Eighty Years War says hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

I think one thing that is really annoying with wars is the alliance system. If an ally doesn't have military access to participate in a war, they shouldn't count for warscore or make it so that the game automatically gives the required access. Having to wait 5 years just because some lovely 3 province minor is involved in my war but is behind my rival is annoying.

I mostly fully siege and punish allies because they annoy me, they turn a 1 year war into a 5 year war and make me burn extra manpower, so they need to suffer.

I completely agree. Especially with my recent runs doing Poland -> HRE Emperor stuff, there's been a bunch of cases where landlocked allies of an enemy can't actually get to me at all, and will refuse to white peace despite me having the complete initiative and much larger armies on my side.

It turns into the same pattern each time of start sieges on the forts of the immediate enemy, then (when their ally refuses to white peace despite being obviously screwed in the near future) getting military access through three or four countries, and occupying them completely so I can get war reparations/nullify treaties/etc for prestige.

VDay posted:

How broken would the game get if defensive calls to war also had a distance modifier, perhaps just modified a bit to be more lenient, like offensive wars do? I think it would make sense as well in terms of ~immersion~ since your neighbor and ally would care a whole lot more about some threat to you from nearby then they would about you fighting some colonial war.

This kind of thing seems like it would go well with the idea of limited war declarations. You could have allies who will help you in wars on the same continent or region but get to say "sorry, nope" without alliance breaking if it's too far away, which would also make having allies near your colonies actually useful.

A White Guy posted:

The AI will actually peace out relevant to what the CB is. Diplomatic Dispute CB will generally only take one big battle before the AI is willing to peace out. Trade Dispute might require a siege. Note, I said peace out, as in be willing to white peace over it. The AI, I think, is extremely reluctant to surrender land, any land at all. Try to get St.Helena off of Spain as GB required me to destroy their whole military and their entire navy before they'd give it up.

Something with willingness to give up a province scaling both from development and... I dunno, proximity to other provinces of the same nation as a weighted average?... would be neat.

Basically, something where "let go of one random island or a single held province from a different nation" would be easier, while taking highly clustered provinces (like "snake" style claiming to cut off different parts of a nation) would be harder.

• Locked thread