Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

ChaosArgate posted:

She also doesn't have a moderator for chat, so try not to stare too deeply into the abyss.

A female celebrity(?) and model on Twitch with a facecam has no moderators.

Good God, that chat must be a goddamned cesspool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People with no vocal filter telling her they think she's pretty is p much as bad as it gets, really. There is the occasional "you are Quiet so you should also dress like her wink wink" though.

You should be more concerned about random people spoiling MGS5 for you, the person watching the stream, which does happen. Just don't watch the chat in general.

edit:

She does have a chat bot that blacklists people when they say dumb poo poo though so it's not completely unmoderated.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 21, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Don't forget casual misogyny! I watched her stream for like 10 minutes this morning and saw no less than 3 people saying girl gamers are terrible!

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

bobjr posted:

This was also made worse by his TV Tropes page immediately being filled with suicide tropes.

Keeshhound posted:

:tvtropes: doesn't exist because it's a site full of delightful, restrained people with a firm grasp on reality and social mores.

Yeah, the thing that bothers me about TV Tropes (or at least, the thing relevant to this thread) is that they more or less treat Let's Players and other real people as characters in works (or worse, works themselves), so whenever they do something nice or something sad happens to them it's listed as a "Heartwarming Moment" or a "Tear Jerker". It's honestly kind of worrying, and doesn't reflect well on the site's community as a whole (check out #1 on this list for more, non-LP examples).

By the way, I checked. Daniel's suicide is indeed on Markiplier's TV Tropes page, listed as "the biggest Tear Jerker of them all":

An excerpt from Tear Jerker/Markiplier posted:

And then there's what happened. [...] here is a short explanation: Due to attempted suicide, Daniel of Cyndago had passed away on September 18th, thus putting a very tragic end to Cyndago, and an End of an Era for Mark's channel.

It just feels wrong to have them shoehorning tropes into something like this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:froggonk: TVTropes why

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

BlueDude posted:

Yeah, the thing that bothers me about TV Tropes (or at least, the thing relevant to this thread) is that they more or less treat Let's Players and other real people as characters in works (or worse, works themselves), so whenever they do something nice or something sad happens to them it's listed as a "Heartwarming Moment" or a "Tear Jerker". It's honestly kind of worrying, and doesn't reflect well on the site's community as a whole (check out #1 on this list for more, non-LP examples).

By the way, I checked. Daniel's suicide is indeed on Markiplier's TV Tropes page, listed as "the biggest Tear Jerker of them all":

:dogbutton:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not so much attempted suicide... :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

CJacobs posted:

:froggonk: TVTropes why

They have to stay up to date after all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay, so don't kill me before I finish: TvTropes used to be a cool place...

please wait

...at the time of its inception. It was more of a dumb wiki where you could read up on examples of common tropes in media, nothing offensive, just an okay timewaster. Then some obssessive fanbases got in there, with all the weird types that come with them. Then the site became a community, andthey just started using their vocabulary for everything, even when very inappropriate. Cut to today where a suicide is a Tear Jerker and real people are treated as characters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
TVTropes is fine as long as you don't look up anything that is a real-life thing and only stick to examples of the cliches of modern media. I'm glad Troper Tales is gone at the same time as I am saddened by it because boy was there some real gold to be found.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BlueDude posted:

Good loving lord.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
At this point this is gonna turn into the 6th TV Tropes thread, so keep it down a bit (or at least LP-related).

That said, it is kind of funny how the only person to have a "So Bad, It's Horrible" page is DarkSydePhil. Not even on a site infamous for its "positiveness is mandatory" policy can he escape criticism. (And even then, his other pages appear to have been partially compiled by his actual fans, which is kind of baffling.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BlueDude posted:

At this point this is gonna turn into the 6th TV Tropes thread, so keep it down a bit (or at least LP-related).

That said, it is kind of funny how the only person to have a "So Bad, It's Horrible" page is DarkSydePhil. Not even on a site infamous for its "positiveness is mandatory" policy can he escape criticism. (And even then, his other pages appear to have been partially compiled by his actual fans, which is kind of baffling.)

No one's accused two people of being a pedophile on the basis of nothing, posted their real name and picture, only for it to turn out one of those two people was literally a sexual abuse victim.

So we're probably good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Vosgian Beast posted:

No one's accused two people of being a pedophile on the basis of nothing, posted their real name and picture, only for it to turn out one of those two people was literally a sexual abuse victim.

So we're probably good.

I was wondering why I didn't see that thread around anymore.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well thanks thread, now I have a giant "This is how you don't play" backlog.
EDIT: How the hell do you confuse a PS2 and PS1 memory card?!

HGH fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 22, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

DSP always finds a way, there's a reason why A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil exists.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah its the EVE stuff I do outside of the LPs. It's really dumb/silly. I told the person to stop nicely and to just embed the videos on the site they're putting this sort of stuff on so hopefully they will.

Edit - EVE players have unironically used DMCA takedowns against people they dislike/are at war with. It's super petty.

You're definitely an authority on being petty in the Eve thread.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

HenryEx posted:

DSP always finds a way, there's a reason why A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil exists.

I love the first one both for the content and Slowbeef's terrible acting ability. Also the boat never doesn't crack me up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HGH posted:

Well thanks thread, now I have a giant "This is how you don't play" backlog.

Watch one of the GTA ones and be amazed at Phil's complete reluctance to actually kill enemies and instead just try rushing through everything. Also the bitching about how "random" the game is because all the NPCs and traffic don't follow a set pattern.

So the cop came in from OFF CAMERA and arrests me

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

I don't know. You coming in here to quote a week old post shortly after being made the butt of a lovely joke is a lot more petty than anything I've posted there.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dalael posted:

Please continue your silly crusade against Unfunny Poster back in the EVE thread.

Looking at the game grumps Knuckles videos and man the controls look fidgety. It's silly though that he didn't get that they can appear inside enemies after the first time.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Golden Goat posted:

Please continue your silly crusade against Unfunny Poster back in the EVE thread.

Looking at the game grumps Knuckles videos and man the controls look fidgety. It's silly though that he didn't get that they can appear inside enemies after the first time.

To be fair, the Knuckles stages aren't the most condusive to one's health and well-being to begin with. I remember spending twenty frickin' minutes on one of the stages from SA2.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cangelosi posted:

To be fair, the Knuckles stages aren't the most condusive to one's health and well-being to begin with. I remember spending twenty frickin' minutes on one of the stages from SA2.

90% of my dislike for SA2 was the drat search levels. They're just painfully unfun and irritating to play.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't know. You coming in here to quote a week old post shortly after being made the butt of a lovely joke is a lot more petty than anything I've posted there.

It was awfully nice of them to provide an example of what you were talking about though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cangelosi posted:

The search levels can be really awful but as said before in the first level when he finally hits the enemy and finds out they drop the emerald then fine how are you just meant to know they can also be inside enemies. The next level though the exact same thing happens and he raises the same fuss over it.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Then again i'd say by that point he's just hating on the game because it makes folks so mad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF726gXNNmE

Thankfully Sonic Adventure 2 completely fixed the Knuckles levels by having sweet raps play in the background, easing all of the frustration away

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wUixhV13gI

Better video.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SA2's search levels are considerably worse than SA1's, anyway, by virtue of being much larger (seriously Meteor Herd was just ridiculous) and only giving you the radar for one piece at a time. SA1's aren't good, but at least they're smaller areas and let you go for the pieces in any order you feel like, so you can prioritize closer pieces over the one the game arbitrarily decided was first in a list.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Sonic has spiky hair and is therefore white, and thus, listens to rock music.

Knuckles has dreadlocks and is therefore black, and thus, listens to rap music

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sonic is basically all those 90s wannabe pop stars with the ramen noodle hair and frosted tips imo. Similarly to them in ways other than appearance and attitude, his career never really took off after the 90s ended.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Sonic is bringing sexy back.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sonic has spiky hair and is therefore white, and thus, listens to rock music.

Oh yeah? If he's white then where are his frosted tips? :colbert:

Oh wait, poo poo, there they are.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8o9JVyDby0

This in the only sonic music that's worth listening to. :colbert:

Edit: the comments on that video are absolutely hilarious.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

It was awfully nice of them to provide an example of what you were talking about though.

It sure was.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Did Konami relax suddenly on their copyright rampage through youtube? They used to claim every video I put up, but they haven't claimed anything since Sept. 3rd.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Did Konami relax suddenly on their copyright rampage through youtube? They used to claim every video I put up, but they haven't claimed anything since Sept. 3rd.

HyperBitHero just put up a Metal Gear-related video and mentioned in the comments he got a strike for it, so I'm guessing not.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

CJacobs posted:

Sonic is basically all those 90s wannabe pop stars with the ramen noodle hair and frosted tips imo. Similarly to them in ways other than appearance and attitude, his career never really took off after the 90s ended.

This is the best description of sonic I've ever heard and will be the only true and correct one for me from now on. :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman posted:

HyperBitHero just put up a Metal Gear-related video and mentioned in the comments he got a strike for it, so I'm guessing not.

drat, I must just be getting lucky then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HGH posted:

Found this through another thread, Stefanie Joosten is doing her own stream/playthrough of MGSV if anyone cares for something like that.

So, would anyone recommend watching the videos at all?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

RareAcumen posted:

So, would anyone recommend watching the videos at all?

I tuned in for a few minutes and it's was honestly pretty boring. Mostly dead air, when the commentary happened it wasn't that entertaining or inspired. There wasn't much appeal other than "actor from the game playing the game". It's possible she has some interesting things to say when her character shows up but I'd wait for someone to just post links to the highlights or make a highlights video, she is not the most engaging LPer.

Granted MGS5 is a loving massive game and pretty much anyone doing a long stream of it would run out of steam and commentary at some point, especially without a co-commentator.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Danaru posted:

drat, I must just be getting lucky then.

It really depends. Most of my MGS3 stuff goes up untouched, but every so often, Konami realizes I'm putting up MGS3 and claims one or all parts of one of my updates. They're also super dilligent about claiming every Secret Theater video I post.

• Locked thread