Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

A good third of the Syrian refugees registered at the employment services in Sweden as of sometime this summer (I forget exactly when) had at least some university education (cut-off was 2 years, I think). Well above other refugee groups.

Excuse me but this doesn't connect well with SERIOUS REPORTS of roving Islamist gangs that patrol Swedish streets enforcing sharia law and control the Riksdag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Puistokemisti posted:

But I can already see Sipilä's throbbing erection as he borrows notes from Germany and introduces 'work integration' plan where refugees work for 1 euro per hour and he finally gets to destroy those pesky unions once and for all.

Hey don't look at me buddy you're the ones who voted in your awful government. We've got problems of our own (David Cameron hosed a Dead Pig) but I still think we should take in plenty of refugees. Hell if I had a spare room I'd take some myself, but instead I'll donate to those who do.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Complete and utter nonsense. This years' defense budget is 7.3 billion euro, the specific budget for the elderly is 8.5 billion euro. Last year the government spent 860 million euro on hosting and providing medical care and education for asylum seekers. The Netherlands is at this moment host to roughly 35,000 asylum seekers and the organization responsible has been scrambling to find thousands of additional places for them to stay to cope with the increased inflow. You would have to be living in la-la land to think that we're 'ignoring these tricky refugees'.

Fair enough, I knew in my heart it was sensationalist as gently caress. It's still a poo poo-ton of money that should be going elsewhere. I'm having intense trouble justifying buying 2 paintings for this amount, heritage or not. Now is imo not the time to be doing stuff like this. Thanks for the debunk.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

waitwhatno posted:

Today I feel a slight increase in sympathy for the Islamic faith. I must say, it has much more consistency and logic to it than Christianity. The Bible seems like a random collection of rants and random thoughts in comparison to the Quran. I read some verses yesterday and it's really beautiful and we'll written. I think I'm gonna order a Quran from amazon and read it.

Oh no, it's spreading. :ohdear:

A fine fellow in the now-murdered-by-shitposting (edit: Islam and ISIS thread, whoops) makes a pretty compelling argument that the Khan translation of the Quran is bad and dumb, by the way, so consider investigating which translation you want.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 22, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Puistokemisti posted:

there's no apartments unless you are willing to live so far in bönde that even lapish reindeer fuckers would think twice and government is doing it's best to prevent any class mobility.

And here's Puistochemist is trying to say that we don't really have any free apartments right now in the big urban centers. Or jobs for that matter... there are none.

For the asylum seeker (much like everyone who lives here as well) there's two options: get a job from Big Urban Disco Party Town, and in Finland that is well nigh impossible for someone who isn't local and doesn't speak either English or Finnish, that said it is well nigh impossible for Finns who have local degrees and speak the local languge, or then stay at one of the "horrible small towns" in the forest living on welfare benefits.

It really isn't much "fun" we can't offer more, but we can't. There isn't anything else.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Congrats on your governments for pissing away a strong economy I guess.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Distribution of 120,000 refugees across EU has finally been decided, even if against the resistance of the Eastern European countries.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Honj Steak posted:

Distribution of 120,000 refugees across EU has finally been decided, even if against the resistance of the Eastern European countries.

Yeah wow. That helps when 600k+ are coming.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Ligur posted:

It's a start and proof that this type of decision can be made without the approval of every member state.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Ligur, doesn't it ever get old to sigh and shake your head at every single new development of the crisis? Are you really convinced that it's entirely a matter of misguided resource allocation (i.e. the "wrong" politics, i.e. "liberal") rather than an outright lack of resources? You want an "iron fist" approach but, to me, Europeans are far too bumbling for any kind of effective reaction, welcoming or otherwise. Things will be slow, they won't be as bad as you fear and nowhere near as good as I hope, and the long term effects will be unpredictable. So relax and try not to react to every single piece of news

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Do any news sources have the per-country distribution numbers?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

The_Franz posted:

Do any news sources have the per-country distribution numbers?

From LemonDrizzle in the Europol-Thread

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I assume the "no" countries will not be participating?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

kikkelivelho posted:

I assume the "no" countries will not be participating?

Afaik Slovakia and the Czech Republic won't be partaking, but I think Orban already said he would give in.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Going to be an unlucky draft for the 800ish going to Bulgaria, where decades of reform have shredded any welfare programs and jobs pay next to nothing.

On the bright side side, its not a frozen wasteland most of the time and food is really close to arabian cuisine due to centuries of Ottoman rule, so we have that in common.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Freezer posted:

Going to be an unlucky draft for the 800ish going to Bulgaria, where decades of reform have shredded any welfare programs and jobs pay next to nothing.

On the bright side side, its not a frozen wasteland most of the time and food is really close to arabian cuisine due to centuries of Ottoman rule, so we have that in common.

Will their status even qualify them for welfare or work that isn't scrubbing toilets?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freezer posted:

For a refugee escaping a war zone, you'd think any safe country would be satisfactory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well if you've previously lived a life in your native country with what you believe to be a future for your children and opportunity to improve your lot, you're not going to be happy being stuck somewhere with no work where nobody talks to you.

"At least you're not dead" is rather bitter comfort. If people are moving somewhere they're going to want a chance to make a life there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hackbunny posted:

Ligur, doesn't it ever get old to sigh and shake your head at every single new development of the crisis? Are you really convinced that it's entirely a matter of misguided resource allocation (i.e. the "wrong" politics, i.e. "liberal") rather than an outright lack of resources? You want an "iron fist" approach but, to me, Europeans are far too bumbling for any kind of effective reaction, welcoming or otherwise. Things will be slow, they won't be as bad as you fear and nowhere near as good as I hope, and the long term effects will be unpredictable. So relax and try not to react to every single piece of news

You're talking to someone from a country where the national exports are mobile phones (nearby-interaction avoiders) and the most cringe-inducing music known to humankind. There's literally nothing else for them to do but whine about outsiders. They've had centuries to whine about each other so frankly this is the most excitement they've had since the Soviet-Finnish war.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

For a refugee escaping a war zone, you'd think any safe country would be satisfactory.

For a man who gets punched in the dick 37 times a day, you'd think getting punched only 36 times would be satisfactory. That man has been punched in his dick all his life and I find the whole idea that he is trying to do anything about it quite vulgar.

- Lady Deidre Sky, Conversations with the Goon, Datalinks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so apparently a story is going around that the refugee that was tripped by the RW news people was actualy part/former al-nasur front. is any of that true or is it just a bullshit. http://www.ibtimes.co.in/syrian-refugee-tripped-over-by-hungarian-journalist-was-part-al-qaedas-nusra-front-647390

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so apparently a story is going around that the refugee that was tripped by the RW news people was actualy part/former al-nasur front. is any of that true or is it just a bullshit. http://www.ibtimes.co.in/syrian-refugee-tripped-over-by-hungarian-journalist-was-part-al-qaedas-nusra-front-647390

It was posted on page 36 with a link to an article from rudaw.net. I can't speak to the truth of the statement though, or if it should matter much.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ligur posted:

So after 50 pages of you insisting there's no money nor resources and Europe has no obligation to care for more refugees than it can support, now you're flipping around and bitching that liberals aren't doing enough to take in even more refugees?

So do these contradictory ideas give you a huge headache, or do they manifest more quietly like as uncontrollable eye twitching or what.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the idea is that only a small number have been agreed upon because Europe can't handle more or something?

Rather than because we're isolationist cunts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's just this weird doublethink. We have to limit the number of refugees because advanced industrial economies can't feed and house very many people, but if you do limit the number of refugees then it's all worthless we shouldn't even bother letting in any then.

It's almost as if the only acceptable number of Arabs to have in your country is zero :aaaaa:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

VitalSigns posted:

It's almost as if the only acceptable number of Arabs to have in your country is zero :aaaaa:

Imagine that!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

It's just this weird doublethink. We have to limit the number of refugees because advanced industrial economies can't feed and house very many people, but if you do limit the number of refugees then it's all worthless we shouldn't even bother letting in any then.

It's not any kind of specialthink, its how people always think. Almost every human being one this planet is insane and deranged, but we just don't notice it much because we are so accustomed to it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Europe should do more to settle asylum-seekers, but also be more organized and cooperative about how they are accepted so that asylum-seekers are settled on Europe's terms and not by barging through hastily-constructed checkpoints. Angela Merkel has expressed the same view.

Surely someone will find this insane and racist?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Europe should do more to settle asylum-seekers, but also be more organized and cooperative about how they are accepted so that asylum-seekers are settled on Europe's terms and not by barging through hastily-constructed checkpoints. Angela Merkel has expressed the same view.

Can't say that I have ever heard about people demanding a more disorganized and chaotic approach.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I am sure you can find people who will tell you this is a mad plot for white genocide.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Maybe this has already been stated, but it seems like there is an uncanny parallel between the way Muslims are seen in the developed world and the way Jews were seen pre-WWII.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
Nobody answered my question: Why is the responsibility solely on Europe? OECD countries have a duty to take in refugees. Apparently only non-European countries are given a pass for not allowing unchecked immigration.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

So after 50 pages of you insisting there's no money nor resources and Europe has no obligation to care for more refugees than it can support, now you're flipping around and bitching that liberals aren't doing enough to take in even more refugees?

So do these contradictory ideas give you a huge headache, or do they manifest more quietly like as uncontrollable eye twitching or what.

Uhh, what?

quote:

Distribution of 120k refugees is useless dabbling when we have 600k+ of refugees coming this year alone.

What part of this did you not understand? How can you even read it like I am demanding MORE refugees?

VitalSigns posted:

Again, what the...? Nobody is limiting the number of refugees, EU is just planning to re-distribute some 120k, a ridiculous half-measure, pretending we're doing something. The refugees left, which is most of them, will just hop around EU until they reach the country of their choice, just as they have this far. Also see if most of the refugees who will be settled to the poorer countries will stay there. Hehehe.

Hmmm. The only way VitalSigns's crazy posts above make any sense is that he thought EU is limiting asylum seekers to 120k a year, which isn't the case at all. But he can't be that stupid, can he? Can someone explain what this guy is thinking?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I thought it was pretty obvious the redistribution plan is just to set the framework for a much larger number later, the 120k is probably the most they thought they could get away wit hat this point.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Nobody answered my question: Why is the responsibility solely on Europe? OECD countries have a duty to take in refugees. Apparently only non-European countries are given a pass for not allowing unchecked immigration.

Australia and the US are taking in refugees. The problem is, as with Europe, they aren't taking enough (Australia is taking something paltry like 12 000). They aren't being given a pass. If you'd googled for a second you'd know that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

It's wholly to spite you, that's why. That's why and not because, for instance, we're the closest safe place. And according to one of the Balkan governments they've been receiving help offers from non-European countries to take in refugees.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ligur posted:

Uhh, what?

Distribution of 120k refugees is useless dabbling when we have 600k+ of refugees coming this year alone.

What part of this did you not understand? How can you even read it like I am demanding MORE refugees?

Again, what the...? Nobody is limiting the number of refugees, EU is just planning to re-distribute some 120k, a ridiculous half-measure, pretending we're doing something. The refugees left, which is most of them, will just hop around EU until they reach the country of their choice, just as they have this far. Also see if most of the refugees who will be settled to the poorer countries will stay there. Hehehe.

Hmmm. The only way VitalSigns's crazy posts above make any sense is that he thought EU is limiting asylum seekers to 120k a year, which isn't the case at all. But he can't be that stupid, can he? Can someone explain what this guy is thinking?

Uh yeah that's the point, you complained that refugees are being distributed to western Europe because they'll be welfare queens or whatever, now you complain that they're not redistributing enough.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

Uh yeah that's the point, you complained that refugees are being distributed to western Europe because they'll be welfare queens or whatever, now you complain that they're not redistributing enough.

No I'm not.

What the gently caress?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sorry I was going off posts like this:

Ligur posted:

I think it's "funny" the people who laugh at the idea that stuff like the Charlie Hebdo shootings are about Islamic terrorism at the same time think Islamic movements are not a trouble at all, and scoff at the idea it could cause trouble in Europe (like a migrant wave, if nothing else). The nazis are probably the scourge of the realm, right. For example ISIS? Hell no, that's not about Islamic fundies and their Caliphate. Nothing to worry about. And if you worry about it? Islamophobic! And possibly racist too! They just drove off millions of Syrians out of the country. But there's surely nothing to worry about with Islamists anywhere.

Maybe I misunderstood, so you do think the refugees should be distributed around EU countries then, and you're disappointed that the plan is too small scale?

What is your solution, all you do is bitch that Arabs will kill everyone or bitch that the EU isn't reallocating enough Arabs around Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

Sorry I was going off posts like this:

Maybe I misunderstood, so you do think the refugees should be distributed around EU countries then, and you're disappointed that the plan is too small scale?

What is your solution, all you do is bitch that Arabs will kill everyone or bitch that the EU isn't reallocating enough Arabs around Europe.

Uhh, wait, what? You shouldn't go off about post X when responding to post Y in the first place. I have mentioned Islamist I think a whole... one time in this thread? Even that was a derail, but it was about the bunch of D&D posters who make light about Islamism ever being a meaningful problem for Europe. (It is: if not for ISIS, we'd have plenty less refugees. Even if you don't give a poo poo about occasional shootings or bombings.) Arabs, I think two or three times when I was talking about the French-Arab history and when talking about Arab media writing good things about Finland so people would migrate here. So, I haven't been talking about Arabs much at all, much less Arabs killing anyone.

And I think I have about two full pages of posts in this thread.

A question. Why do you have to make up stuff I supposedly post (when I actually don't)? What do you get out of it?

• Locked thread