Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

But if there's only one lane, they're obligated to sit and wait until the car ahead of them creeps into traffic. It's not great, but that's how the world works.

Lean on the horn or something but you don't pull on to the shoulder to pass someone, ever.

If the guy ahead of me sits for minutes straight waiting for The Perfect Time to pull out, I'm going around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

But if there's only one lane, they're obligated to sit and wait until the car ahead of them creeps into traffic. It's not great, but that's how the world works.

Lean on the horn or something but you don't pull on to the shoulder to pass someone, ever.
At the same time, trying to force the issue once the other idiot does decide to pass you on the shoulder creates more risk. So ... while I agree the other guy probably shouldn't have done it (although what PCOS says above is exactly right), it was also stupid to force the issue.

Just let him pull out and get T-boned. If he can do it without getting T-boned, you probably should have been going anyway.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Protocol7 posted:

Dealt with a complete rear end the other day.

So I live right off a major street in Denver. Like, speed limit is 65, and between daylight hours it's practically packed. Here's a pic of the merge lane onto this street:

Sorry, I'm gonna call you out here. I drive that road weekly (during rush hour), the limit there is 55, but NOBODY goes 55 through there, it's always 45 due to traffic. I acknowledge that the traffic is thick, but if your car is really that gutless where you can't accelerate with your signal on and merge you need to go a block north to Dartmouth where the merge lane is 3 times longer.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Protocol7 posted:

At this point I have maybe 200 feet to accelerate, and 0-65 in a stock, base model 4 banger Honda isn't exactly instantaneous, and there's still the problem of having room on the road to actually merge into.
Don't stop on highway onramps. I love that ramp don't you dare complain to the city!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Protocol7 posted:

Dealt with a complete rear end the other day.

So I live right off a major street in Denver. Like, speed limit is 65, and between daylight hours it's practically packed. Here's a pic of the merge lane onto this street:

It's tiny, maybe 250 feet? Either way, in the middle of traffic, it's hard to get up to speed, so I often just wait for the light to change (and it's often, about 1.5-2 minutes tops even during rush hour.) This opens up a gap wherein I can get on the road much more comfortably.

Cue jackass from adjacent trailer park coming up behind me. Cars on the road are packed but still going at speed, so I just wait. 10 seconds pass, and he starts pulling out to my left and stops, I suppose realizing he can't get far trying to get around me that way. This is bad because he's now blocking my view of oncoming traffic, so I have to pull up a good 10 feet or so to regain that view. At this point I have maybe 200 feet to accelerate, and 0-65 in a stock, base model 4 banger Honda isn't exactly instantaneous, and there's still the problem of having room on the road to actually merge into.

So I wait again, and the light has changed, but the remaining traffic has to pass. Apparently another 10 seconds is too much time for trailer park rear end in a top hat, so he turns and tries to go around me, in the shoulder. I'm not okay with this, so I slam on the gas and he doesn't get a chance to get in front of me. But god drat, can't people have patience when trying to merge onto one of the busiest roads at 4 in the afternoon?

Is there anywhere good to eat around there?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of driving on the shoulder, it reminded me of what I saw a few months back. I'm sitting at a red light at the intersection of Lougheed hwy and Boundary in Burnaby/Vancouver, about 3 cars back. Traffic was pretty heavy but there wasn't really any reason other than volume.

Anyway it's got (or had) a wide dirt to grass shoulder and I see something in my side mirror and it is an infiniti QX45 (the rebadged pathfinder) that is blasting up along with two wheels in the grass, two in the dirt. She passes me and I have a vivid image of the lady driving, frizzy curly hair, big wrap around sunglasses and holding a cigarette in two fingers like a V with one hand on the wheel in the underhand grip, giving no fucks whatsoever.

She then hits the intersection exactly as the light turns green for the perfect hole shot and just blasts through ahead of the stunned people in the front, bouncing over a sidewalk curb.

I wasn't even mad I was so impressed by the combination of luck, timing and ballsyness.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

PCOS Bill posted:

Christ, if someone wants to go faster than you just let them loving go, don't cut them off.

People mention "ego" when they talk about what causes bad driving. Part of that is someone thinking that his time is more important than anyone else's, so he gets on the shoulder to pass everyone. But the other part of that getting upset and escalating the situation by cutting that person off. Just let him go. It sucks because it's not justice but is it worth getting into a wreck over it?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Hikaki posted:

People mention "ego" when they talk about what causes bad driving. Part of that is someone thinking that his time is more important than anyone else's, so he gets on the shoulder to pass everyone. But the other part of that getting upset and escalating the situation by cutting that person off. Just let him go. It sucks because it's not justice but is it worth getting into a wreck over it?

I agree with you about ego, but I think Bill is correct here in that protocol needs to man up and mash the gas pedal. My wife owned the same base model. 4 banger Honda and acceleration is indeed :lol: but that's still not a good excuse for inability to merge. Pro tip: turning off the AC drat near doubled the acceleration, it's like NOS for that anemic turd.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Don't know about Hondas, but my 99 Corolla was noticeably better with the AC off. Called it my turbo button. Unless you are coming off a dead stop it really is more about balls/willingness to get up to speed for on ramps in my experience.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Most cars cut off the A/C compressor if you just floor it. I know my '98 Corolla did and it's not like you have to be afraid to go WOT in something like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even a Prius has a quarter mile around the 18 second mark, so getting up to the general speed of traffic in 250 feet should not be some white knuckle affair. Mash that pedal and unleash those horsies. :black101:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I don't know man, maybe my family are a bunch of huge wimps; I scare the poo poo out of them when I merge. Hell, I scare them because I don't take all turns at about 5 MPH.

Sudo Echo posted:

Most cars cut off the A/C compressor if you just floor it. I know my '98 Corolla did and it's not like you have to be afraid to go WOT in something like that.

I must have just never noticed it when I really floored it, but it sure was better acceleration in non-flooring situations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

And a lot of cars don't cut off the A/C compressor because they're too dumb, but the same era of too-dumb cars had vacuum-operated HVAC flaps that lose vacuum under WOT and flap down to their default setting, which is usually hot defrost. Yay 80's and 90's tech!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just saw a guy turn onto and drive half a block down a one-way street. I called 911 but the fucker managed to make an extremely dangerous U-turn (instead of using one of driveways) before I could reach them, and I was on my balcony so I couldn't get a plate number.

Christ, it pisses me off irrationally when I see people do retarded, dangerous poo poo like that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What did 911 say?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I called 911 once when a dude was beating his girlfriend in the street, car blocking the whole road. They both got back in the car willingly, 911 operator asked if I had the plate, which I did not, and they just flat out said there was nothing they could do.

So, gonna go with that 911 said the same thing or gave a white lie about having cops look out for the vehicle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nsaP posted:

What did 911 say?

They said, if you see the car again call back. I was dialling as the car did the u-turn, so I actually hung up, but I got a callback as is standard practice, so I explained the situation.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That 911 operator told the whole station about you lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You called 911 for someone going the wrong way on a one way street? What the gently caress? Not only is that a spectacular waste of resources but what are they going to do? Teleport a cop there to see them making their oh so naughty u turn and give the bad man a ticket?

Christ. 911 for a traffic infraction.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

You called 911 for someone going the wrong way on a one way street? What the gently caress? Not only is that a spectacular waste of resources but what are they going to do? Teleport a cop there to see them making their oh so naughty u turn and give the bad man a ticket?

Right, because driving the wrong way is just like, say, speeding 1mph over the limit. It's technically against the law, but no one could possibly be or has ever been injured or killed as a direct result of someone doing it.

:rolleyes:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Crotch Fruit posted:

I agree with you about ego, but I think Bill is correct here in that protocol needs to man up and mash the gas pedal. My wife owned the same base model. 4 banger Honda and acceleration is indeed :lol: but that's still not a good excuse for inability to merge. Pro tip: turning off the AC drat near doubled the acceleration, it's like NOS for that anemic turd.

I will admit I'm very timid on the road (probably because I've crashed so many goddamn times when I first got my car). Honestly I do not notice a significant difference between AC on and off for acceleration. Now when I have the AC on I'm pretty sure my car gulps down gas, but it's also not close to getting the MPG advertised on fueleconomy.gov.

Now, I think whether or not I am a pussy and can't accelerate onto the road is a different story than the rear end in a top hat who feels obligated to use the shoulder to pass me.

Krakkles posted:

Right, because driving the wrong way is just like, say, speeding 1mph over the limit. It's technically against the law, but no one could possibly be or has ever been injured or killed as a direct result of someone doing it.

:rolleyes:

I think there's an argument to make that people usually figure out their gently caress-up early and by the time an officer even makes it to the area, the guy's already gone, and even if you give them the plate they can't exactly give you a ticket based on anonymous word of mouth.

Late night in Denver I've hosed up before and didn't realize a two-way road has turned into a one-way road, not going the direction I'm going. Thankfully nobody else was on the road at the time and I was able to turn the right way down the next one-way road.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 23, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Now, I think whether or not I am a pussy and can't accelerate onto the road is a different story than the rear end in a top hat who feels obligated to use the shoulder to pass me.

Krakkles posted:

Just let him pull out and get T-boned. If he can do it without getting T-boned, you probably should have been going anyway.
It is a different story, and you're objectively the bigger problem in said stories.

If you're afraid to drive, you need to actively seek out ways to make that work, like the longer on ramp that LloydDobler pointed out. It's just selfish to force your problems on other people when other options exist.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Krakkles posted:

It is a different story, and you're objectively the bigger problem in said stories.

If you're afraid to drive, you need to actively seek out ways to make that work, like the longer on ramp that LloydDobler pointed out. It's just selfish to force your problems on other people when other options exist.

Thing is I usually don't have problems merging. This was one of the times where it's bumper to bumper and I'd just rather wait for the traffic to break. The guy wasn't behind me for even 15% of the time I was waiting, normally if someone pulls up behind me I would go, but I really don't think waiting an extra 15 seconds is horrible enough to warrant trying to get around me on the shoulder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He had no good excuse to pass on the shoulder, but courtesy works both ways. If there was any kind of a gap you should have mashed the pedal and merged into traffic.

Sometimes even easing off the brakes and inching a bit is enough to diffuse it, tells the person behind you you're paying attention. For all they knew you could have come to a stop and decided to update your status on facebook.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Right... someone going the wrong way down a five-lane street is no biggie. Certainly nothing that could cause a serious accident, and nothing that could point to the driver being drunk as all gently caress (the cops here specifically say to call 911 if you suspect a drunk driver) :rolleyes:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

He had no good excuse to pass on the shoulder, but courtesy works both ways. If there was any kind of a gap you should have mashed the pedal and merged into traffic.

Sometimes even easing off the brakes and inching a bit is enough to diffuse it, tells the person behind you you're paying attention. For all they knew you could have come to a stop and decided to update your status on facebook.

Well again, I'd like to point out he blocked off my view and I had to move even further down the line to see traffic, giving me less room to utilize the merge lane. If he wanted me to go, that's fine, but blocking off my view of traffic makes me completely blind of any sort of opportunity to merge.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bovril Delight posted:

I used to be a 911 dispatcher and this is absolutely a valid reason to call. People driving the wrong way get other people killed and are frequently impaired.

As for people leaving the scene of a crime in a car the plate is helpful but a vehicle description, subject description and direction of travel is enough to send cops, and the dispatcher would've prompted you for that info.

But just like cops dispatchers vary wildly in quality, tied to the quality of the agency they work for. Bad agency=bad cops/dispatchers.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I will admit I'm very timid on the road (probably because I've crashed so many goddamn times when I first got my car). Honestly I do not notice a significant difference between AC on and off for acceleration. Now when I have the AC on I'm pretty sure my car gulps down gas, but it's also not close to getting the MPG advertised on fueleconomy.gov.

So long as you are willing to admit you are partially at fault here that is good enough for me. It is partially your problem, but I do feel that people should wait for you even if you don't know how to merge. The driver forcing the issue and trying to pass just puts more pressure on timid drivers and distracts them which can lead to them just suddenly mashing the gas pedal without thinking to escape from the road raging redneck.

There is a glorious clover leaf in west Wichita at the intersection of I-235 and Kellogg. All the loops on this gauntlet are signed for ridiculously low speeds like 20 or even 15mph. I drive a commercial truck, I will drive miles out of my way to avoid that whenever possible because it sucks so bad. In my personal car one day, I was at the bottom of one of the loops going about 30mph (10 over the loops limit) when I saw an F-350 with a flatbed barreling down in the right lane with their turn signal on so I stopped at the bottom of the loop. The BMWanker behind me was going the same speed as me, stopped, honked, then pulled around to the right just as the F-350 when blasting through the merge zone just feet in front of me.

Another day in the work truck I was coming up an on ramp for the K-96 highway, it was 8am and traffic was thick. It took the entire on ramp to make it up to 45 and it was going to take even longer to stop. I crested the hill at the top of the ramp to see a Honda Odyssey pulled over at a dead stop on the shoulder just past the end of the on-ramp. To clarify, they were on the outside of the angled section of the white line. I took one look at the situation, briefly thought about my brake pedal and the inability to stop as well as the amazing joy of trying to merge onto the highway from a dead stop and just mashed the acccelerator pedal a little more. I got onto the highway as early as possible, there was basically the entire merge lane between me and the stopped minivan, suddenly the driver decided if the big slow truck could merge they could merge too! Cue me slamming on the brakes, jerking halfway into the left lane and blowing the horn as I flew past Grandma in the minivan. To this day, the only reason I think I did the right thing is because when I did this maneuver there was a highway patrol officer in the left lane who I almost cut off. . . Assuming he saw everything that lead up to this, he either thought it wasn't my fault or it was too much work to write me a ticket.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 23, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bovril Delight posted:

The cops actively encourage you to call 911 for that. Wrong way drivers kill a lot of people, and very often a sign of DUI.
If you have good reason to suspect a DUI, you should generally call the cops.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nm posted:

The cops actively encourage you to call 911 for that. Wrong way drivers kill a lot of people, and very often a sign of DUI.

Yeah, I saw someone do a dangerous thing, and I really didn't think about how impotent my report would be before I called. Oh well.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Timid drivers should just get a bus pass.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

There is a 90-degree uphill reverse-camber corner on the main road right above my house. This is a notorious accident spot for tourists with a snootfull of weed / booze / other, who go cooking into that corner with a little too much speed then suddenly remember that we drive on the left then overcorrect and smesh.

I've called in seven wrecks on that corner this year so far.

(Highest count in a year was eleven)

the 911 operators are aware of this and generally recognize my home number.

:phoneb: "911 good evening how can I help?... oh, hello mr buttcrackmenace. Another one crash?"

gently caress drunks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nm posted:

Right but in this case, guy figured out he was going the wrong way and fixed it immediately.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
911 operators recognize my number and get really annoyed that I'm calling in MORE gunshots/drive bys

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
well stop shooting people(unless its because they are being lovely drivers)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Right but in this case, guy figured out he was going the wrong way and fixed it immediately.
And PT6A ended the call when this happened, so ...

not sure what y'all are looking for here.

PS he was probably still drunk

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

911 operators recognize my number and get really annoyed that I'm calling in MORE gunshots/drive bys sightings of non-whites

Fixed..

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

buttcrackmenace posted:

:phoneb: "911 good evening how can I help?... oh, hello mr buttcrackmenace. Another one crash?"

I would go back to that job if I could get even one call from Mr. Buttcrackmenace. Almost as good as the angry calls I got from the rear end in a top hat doctor from Love Boat.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

Fixed..

I'm a Hispanic guy in a black neighborhood. It would be more out of the norm to see more than 2-3 white people a day near my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm a Hispanic guy in a black neighborhood. It would be more out of the norm to see more than 2-3 white people a day near my house.

Those are called cops.