Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

DaveWoo posted:

Arianna Huffington is now officially declaring the "Beginning of the End" for Trump, now that he called Mexicans "rapists" insulted John McCain's POW status "lost" the first debate made sexist comments against Megyn Kelly made sexist comments against Carly Fiorina "lost" the second debate refused to correct the guy who said Obama was a Muslim.

i'd've thought his antivax bit would get arianna huffington on his side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

railroad terror posted:

Before the Internet age really took off, I would listen to Rush to get a sense of what the opposition was talking about, what the talking points were going to be moving forward for the right --- many times they came right out of Rush's show. I'm completely unsure of the influence Rush has nowadays.

Rush controls the people whom polling firms bother to poll.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fronz posted:

The PPP iowa poll is fun because there was precisely one person who polled for Gilmore and you can see their answer to every question.

When you have only one person voting for you in a poll, it's time to wrap it up.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

When you have only one person voting for you in a poll, it's time to wrap it up.

Actually, I misspoke, there are five people polling for Gilmore. It's just the one for Graham.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

AfroLine posted:

if you get in a heated political debate with two other conservative boys and they start asking you why a guy (me) would be a strong hillary supporter I wouldn't recommend start crying but if you do and if you're at the right place at the right time a cute girl would come up at the bus stop to defend your position and give you a high five afterwards .

why do you make your mom ride the bus?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I love Citizens United and how Republicans keep thinking it works for them for the presidency.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

fronz posted:

Actually, I misspoke, there are five people polling for Gilmore. It's just the one for Graham.

Gilmentum!!!!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Montasque posted:

Crazy old-lady on Rush is blaming Rush for Scott Walker dropping out.

She really sounds unhinged.

Oh, as opposed to all those level-headed, well-reasoned callers he gets?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Patter Song posted:

That poll is a pretty great example of how things are different between the parties right now: the two insurgent candidates both have roughly the same share of support but Sanders' 22% puts him in a distant 2nd while Trump's 24% puts him way out in front. Meanwhile, Jeb, the annointed one, is tied for sixth in Iowa with Mike Huckabee in the mid-single digits.

I think that if the republican side only had 5 candidates (2 legitimate ones and a bunch of nobodys) then you would see Trump waaay out in front (like 60%+), instead he has to split it with 6 or 7 serious candidates and alot more nobodys.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Seems to me that Trump's spitefulness and hate for all things non-WASP will make him a perfect nominee

I don't think that's an accurate description at all. In fact, I actually think his positions are tailored more to non-WASP white sensibilities (think Hard Hat Riot), which is one of the reasons he stands out in the Republican field.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

York_M_Chan posted:

How can you listen to Rush and not develop an ulcer?

He's a disgusting pig man, but he's also driving the GOP off the cliff. Whenever he gets away from his anti-GOP rants to another topic I turn it off.

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think that's an accurate description at all. In fact, I actually think his positions are tailored more to non-WASP white sensibilities (think Hard Hat Riot), which is one of the reasons he stands out in the Republican field.

100%. Trump's supporters aren't WASPS, they are working class white Americans - Many Catholic.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
All republican candidates are racist. I'm happy to see Trump own it. It also amuses me that he is doing so well by owning it. Republicans are tired of dog whistle politics. They want a candidate that's not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

NotWearingPants posted:

They want a candidate that's not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Typical Bernie supporter.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

NotWearingPants posted:

All republican candidates are racist. I'm happy to see Trump own it. It also amuses me that he is doing so well by owning it. Republicans are tired of dog whistle politics. They want a candidate that's not afraid to call a spade a spade.

source your quotes

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Many-Hues-Ted-Cruz-Erotica/dp/1515391531/

Ted Cruz Erotica book on Amazon where he Fucks a box of crayons

And an excerpt

quote:

His hotel suite met his personal approval rating. His suits hung pristinely in the closet like flat, headless Teds standing single file. The Gideon Bible had been removed from the drawer and placed on the pillow because no Bible deserved to be hidden in a drawer. The scene was very pedestrian. It was Tedestrian. Clean, white sheets hugged the mattress like the palest of sausage skins. He winced. So plain. So blank. He closed his eyes and dreamt of something better than white. Something prismatic. Swatches of color assaulted his imagination. A prism of pride dashed before his tightly clenched eyes. His teeth sparked. His heart pumped ultraviolet. His saliva glands ejaculated; not just with saliva, but with pleasurable pain. Ted’s eyelids lifted to reveal he had fallen back onto the crisp white sheets. A tacky wetness inflicted the front of his trousers. He had come. He was furious with himself for dropping the milk. Ted Time is supposed to happen on *Ted’s* Time! This stallion had lapped him. He’d missed it. Long gone. Yet, he knew the horse could be brought back around the track. He had been there many times before, so he knew he needed to work with it. He needed more than himself.

And

quote:

Ted’s was the POTUS of cocks. A county fair award-winning plantain of Presidential might. A Tedwurst cooked perfectly plump in the microwave. Micro pills of sweat bloomed upon it in a hexametric pattern that defied biological explanation. His four inches of steely veal was the elusive muskie they never dreamed could be reeled in.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 22, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

Do you think Trump will drop out for the good of the party like Romney did.

Even if Romney self-funded his campaign all the way to the convention in 2008, which he could have done, he still would have lost.

And Romney was a serious candidate in 2008 who could have won.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zelder posted:

The thing is I don't know if he'll actually do what he says about the ultra rich. Donald Trump has always been a bit of con man. Until he actually releases a policy paper he's a blank slate with only statements to go off of, and, well, I'd really like to see his actual policy on that

Unless it got released and i missed it

it's supposedly coming soon, who knows. someone in this thread earlier mixed up jeb's financial policy with trump's and when that got cleared up someone else said the platform was going to be released in september or october? I was trying to find a timetable on this and instead found a lot of articles from financiers moaning and whining about how trump's got it totally wrong, and they really aren't the bad guys which is pretty lol

Zelder posted:

Structural racism is bad except when Donald Trump does it, then it doesn't matter

you don't have to be lovely just because we're having an argument on the internet

no, when you quote something from loving 1973 then I can't care too much about it. at least point to his actual current poo poo policies and statements

Mrit posted:

lol, you are a shitheel

quit stalking me you little weirdo

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

PPP Iowa Poll posted:

Q19 (Republicans) Who would you prefer as the
Republican candidate if you had to choose
between just Jeb Bush and Donald Trump?
Jeb Bush 37%
Donald Trump 51%
Not sure 12%
Q20 (Republicans) Who would you prefer as the
between just Ben Carson and Donald Trump?
Ben Carson 60%
Donald Trump 33%
Not sure 7%
Q21 (Republicans) Who would you prefer as the
between just Carly Fiorina and Donald Trump?
Carly Fiorina 54%
Donald Trump 36%
Not sure 10%
Q22 (Republicans) Who would you prefer as the
between just Marco Rubio and Donald Trump?
Marco Rubio 53%
Donald Trump 38%
Not sure 10%
Q23 (Republicans) Who would you prefer as the
between just Scott Walker and Donald Trump?
Scott Walker 51%
Donald Trump 37%
Not sure 12%

Q69-420 (Republicans) What is Donald Trump's chance of winning the nomination?
0%

edit: really this is just more evidence Jeb! should be off somewhere crying in a corner

Milk Malk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 22, 2015

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Mrit posted:

Wasn't recent polling showing Bernie and Hillary in a dead heat? What a reversal.

All his supporters went to Trump.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

quit stalking me you little weirdo

I'm not stalking you, I just end up responding to the most racist posts in this forum and there you are!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trump cucks. bernie GETS cucked.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Patter Song posted:

Trump is not the average insurgent primary candidate. He is both a self-funder (like eg Forbes) and represents a vast untapped and angry segment of the party (like Buchanan) in one candidate. Fuse Forbes and Buchanan into one guy and Dole would've been in serious trouble in 1996.

From Michael Lewis' profile of Morry Taylor, the CEO of a tire company who ran in 1996 and was included in the debates.

quote:

"Did you play sports in high school?" I ask Morry, or rather, the back of Morry's head. He doesn't even look around. He's shaking his head; I have no trouble imagining the scorn on his face. My question is plainly ridiculous. "Did I play sports?" he asks. "I am the biggest jock who ever ran for president. I can beat you in anything." And with that he blows through the double doors leading into the auditorium. High school probably was not prepared for Morry Taylor the first time he passed through, and it most certainly is no match for him now that he's sitting on $40 million-plus of Titan stock and a fully fueled presidential campaign. About thirty kids file in, slump down into their seats and settle in for a snooze they'll never have.

"Your school is too big," booms Morry, and as the kids jolt and stir he enters his stream of consciousness. "This is what is wrong with America," he says, pointing at the kids. "Big, big, big. You don't see no little kids in here. No little kids with the big kids so that the little kids don't have anyone to look up to. When I was in school the third-graders looked up to the eighth-graders, and the eighth-grade boys were in love with the senior girls. The senior girls just thought they were cute little twerps, but it was good for them. Some kid comes to school with orange hair, you don't have to call the parents. Hell, we'll take care of the orange hair. A place like this breeds weirdos."

The students are now fully alert.

"I never could enjoy going to a school like this," concludes Morry. The kids seem to concur.

"How many of you ever take accounting?" he asks. The kids are now squirming and ducking: he's breaking down their resistance, making them nervous. Two hands go up. Morry shakes his head, a little sadly. His tone changes. "I know you got a lot of these teachers"—he waves nonchalantly at a couple of uneasy-looking older men in the rafters—"and they tell you a lot of ..." (he doesn't use the word "crap" but he might as well) "things ... but in your whole entire life you are only going to use one or maybe two of those things. Hell, I took 257 engineering courses, and I never used one of them."

He pauses and seems to reconsider. I wonder if he's about to make a little plea for the joy of learning for its own sake, the importance of a liberal education, that sort of thing. He isn't. "Now we all agree that the most important thing in your life is your family," he says. "Your momma and your daddy, your brothers and your sisters. But right after that there's something else. We all know what it is, and it's... GREEN."

With that he reaches into his pocket and produces a fat roll of $100 bills. He holds it high so that everyone can see. Five grand. Cash. The kids are now perched on the edge of their seats, giggling nervously, probably wondering what they feed presidential candidates.

"It all comes down to accounting," says Morry. "Accounting and money. You can't live without it. And the minute you make it someone is trying to take it away from you. So for god's sake, find out about money!"

"Can I have some?" asks a kid in the front row.

"It's mine!" shouts Morry, and puts the money back in his pocket, a nice illustration of some general business principle. The teachers are now frowning, but the kids are unable to preserve their original detachment.

It's time to talk politics.

Taylor eventually dropped out of the race, but organizated a Harley rally at the RNC, which he tried to get Dole to appear at, but Dole chickened out at the last minute and refused to appear.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mrit posted:

I'm not stalking you, I just end up responding to the most racist posts in this forum and there you are!

the accusation of "racist" has become a complete joke when it's gotten to the point that not caring about something that happened over four decades ago gets pronounced as Racist

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think that if the republican side only had 5 candidates (2 legitimate ones and a bunch of nobodys) then you would see Trump waaay out in front (like 60%+), instead he has to split it with 6 or 7 serious candidates and alot more nobodys.

Trump is at 6% for second choice. Winnowing of the field is not going to help him at all.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mrit posted:

Wasn't recent polling showing Bernie and Hillary in a dead heat? What a reversal.

Nope, you must have been looking at an Iowa poll.

Or perhaps a national poll of voters under 50.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

NotWearingPants posted:

Nope, you must have been looking at an Iowa poll.

Or perhaps a national poll of voters under 50.

This new poll we're talking about, which shows Hillary with a significant lead over Bernie, is in fact an Iowa poll

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Things change every year, the idea that we have huge amounts of data on this stuff is laughable. 2004's most important issue was the war on terror, and in 2008 terrorism didn't even hit the radar, as an example. People keep trying to curve fit their data points to some other election rather than realize that chasing noise is the worst way to go about things.

This is kinda why Rove was so important in 2000/4 and completely meaningless in 2008/12. Just because you have your finger on the pulse of the electorate for a short while doesn't mean you'll understand what's going on just 4 years later.

Yes, the issues change year-to-year, but the criteria that have made candidates success in nomination battles (note: not necessarily the general election) have been the same since the parties adapted to the '72 primary reforms. I was curious what you thought would be different this time to change the outcome.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
you know what's actually racist, Mrit? supporting a candidate who designed and enacted an expansion of mass incarceration policies that target blacks at an extremely disproportionate rate dooming many of the ones who get sent to prison to a perpetual revolving door life since they become so damaged by their time in prison (and complete lack of any rehabilitative measures) that they can't readjust to life outside prison and typically end up reoffending. this has had an enormous impact on American black communities and the health of their social fabric and drains significant amount of money, time, and willpower out of them. that is very near to the purest possible example of destructive structural racism, and it's still going on today and still destroying lives, and that candidate is Hillary Clinton

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

the accusation of "racist" has become a complete joke when it's gotten to the point that not caring about something that happened over four decades ago gets pronounced as Racist

Sorry that black people won't let you say the word you're desperate to say all the time or something.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

trump cucks. bernie GETS cucked.

somebody should bait trump into talking poo poo about jane o'meara sanders' appearance, i feel this would be a promising tactic

it hurts women, but you know, omelette, eggs, all that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Brannock posted:

Nah, you really seem keen on dismissing complaints about racism in general, usually with some ironic comment, and it's not exactly hard to notice if you read this forum for awhile.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

From Michael Lewis' profile of Morry Taylor, the CEO of a tire company who ran in 1996 and was included in the debates.

Taylor eventually dropped out of the race, but organizated a Harley rally at the RNC, which he tried to get Dole to appear at, but Dole chickened out at the last minute and refused to appear.

Was he the frontrunner for over two months?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
not caring about things that happened four decades ago is pretty much an essential definition of racism

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

He really appeals to my spite against the establishment though. Sure he's horrible in lots of other ways, but he really scares/annoys/angers the people I don't like and is there anything more worthwhile in a Presidential candidate than that? He appeals to all of my destructive urges, and I can't help but want to watch him burn it all down and destroy the status quo.

Bernie, on the other hand, appeals to my optimism and hope for future. He urges us to create a vision of the future where we have not destroyed the status quo but transcended it, he promises a movement based around authentic compassion and a belief in a better world, a stubborn insistence that change, and victory, over entrenched interests is actually possible.

Basically, I'm fine with either of them. Down with the aristocracy.

Yeah I agree with you and I'm sure many liberals do, up until the point where I remember that Donald Trump literally wants to round up an entire race, "concentrate" them into "camps" and then "deport them" once they're out of sight of the general electorate

But only the bad ones. The criminals, the rapists, the greedy corrupt bankers and shiftless gypsies.... I mean the American Mexicans are still fine Trump isn't including them in his "final solution" to the immigrant problem. Indeed, he's going to make America great again, as great as it was fifty years ago, before we lost those wars and our global and military standing in the world

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Bob Ojeda posted:

This new poll we're talking about, which shows Hillary with a significant lead over Bernie, is in fact an Iowa poll

OH this one?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Milk Malk posted:

Trump is at 6% for second choice. Winnowing of the field is not going to help him at all.

He just has to hope not too many candidates drop out by March, then he has a shot.

Also, it's hilarious that most Republicans still prefer him over Bush.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Brannock posted:

you know what's actually racist, Mrit? supporting a candidate who designed and enacted an expansion of mass incarceration policies that target blacks at an extremely disproportionate rate dooming many of the ones who get sent to prison to a perpetual revolving door life since they become so damaged by their time in prison (and complete lack of any rehabilitative measures) that they can't readjust to life outside prison and typically end up reoffending. this has had an enormous impact on American black communities and the health of their social fabric and drains significant amount of money, time, and willpower out of them. that is very near to the purest possible example of destructive structural racism, and it's still going on today and still destroying lives, and that candidate is Hillary Clinton

Maybe that's true, but maybe you're also a twit who was so eager to be a contrarian about Donald Trump that you didn't even notice that he said some unambiguously racist poo poo, and now you're self-righteously castigating other people in an attempt to make up for it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Hillary is proposing a 250 monthly cap on prescription drugs for those with chronic and serious medical issues

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/22/clinton-proposing-250-monthly-cap-on-prescription-drug-costs-for-patients/

quote:

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is proposing a $250 monthly cap on the amount patients with chronic and serious medical problems would have to pay out of pocket for prescription drugs as a way to reduce the effect of skyrocketing drug prices on consumers.

The cap is part of Clinton’s program to alter and expand the Affordable Care Act, the signature domestic policy achievement of President Obama, if she is elected to succeed him. Clinton will discuss the prescription drug plan Tuesday in Des Moines, Iowa. Some details were provided by her campaign in advance....

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ha-ha wow that's one way to get favorable numbers, hilldawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Brannock posted:

Do I care about slavery? Sharecropping? Jim crow, segregation, subjugation, assassination, redlining, Rodney King, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown?

Only Rodney King. The first seven are beyond my fourty-year caring threshold and the last two were dumb thugs who blame the white man for their problems.

Not Racist.

• Locked thread