Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
The biggest problem I've always had with Knyteguy is that his actions <> his goals. He continually brags about how disciplined he is and yet this thread is hitting a two year anniversary.

Knyteguy's Goals
Get 3-6 months of emergency funds setup and save
September 2015 update $6,833 balance ($11,000-$22,470) - Not met 30%-60% complete (estimated here because I didn't want to look up the actual numbers)

Pay off the debt
September 2015 update $49,093 balance ($60,000 start of thread) - Not met 20% complete

Save for a house down payment ($0/30,000) 0% met
September 2015 update $0 - Not met 0% complete

It's been two years and that ignores the thread you posted 3-4 years ago. Are you doing bad? Absolutely not. Are you doing good? Absolutely not. You're waffling around somewhere in the middle.

EDIT: Brags is probably the wrong word, but continually talks about how disciplined he is or "can be".

EDIT 2:
To put it another way. This thread turned 22 months old a few days ago.

Knyteguy's Goals
September 2015 update contributed $6,833 to savings or $310 per month

Pay off the debt
September 2015 update paid off $10,907 in debt or $495 per month

September 2015 update contributed $0 to house down payment or $0 per month

Net estimated monthly income $3,571 (based on July) or $2,766 per month not going towards your goals.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

With other successful BFC posters the thread doesn't go immediately from "successful budget for one month" to "OP update just at the new month." There's an in-between phase with regular checking in, where unexpected expenses come up and the OP sees how having emergency fund + discipline to budget ahead saves OP from really sliding backwards.

Does anyone remember how many months in this thread Knyteguy and wife have hit the budget? July and May(?) if you count the May bills hitting in June. Then maybe a couple of the months last fall?

Also curious about what the car is, keeping it a secret makes me think it's either a money/time pit or not baby-friendly.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Baja Mofufu posted:

With other successful BFC posters the thread doesn't go immediately from "successful budget for one month" to "OP update just at the new month." There's an in-between phase with regular checking in, where unexpected expenses come up and the OP sees how having emergency fund + discipline to budget ahead saves OP from really sliding backwards.

Does anyone remember how many months in this thread Knyteguy and wife have hit the budget? July and May(?) if you count the May bills hitting in June. Then maybe a couple of the months last fall?

Also curious about what the car is, keeping it a secret makes me think it's either a money/time pit or not baby-friendly.

I'm more of a guy who focuses on the destination than the journey. There are some people who constantly go over budget by say x%. To remedy that situation they set their budgets x% lower than what they want to hit their goals. I feel like I'm in that group. I will also always find it stupid to focus on hitting the budget rather than hitting our bigger goals. If you want to judge me by X metric and then use the budget for X, then I won't give that much thought because I'm obviously kind of bad at budgeting, but I've made progress regardless of that. Bugamol's critique actually gives the situation a context. if we're hitting the goals in a mediocre manner currently, then that's fine with me. There's always room to improve.

Bugamol posted:

The biggest problem I've always had with Knyteguy is that his actions <> his goals. He continually brags about how disciplined he is and yet this thread is hitting a two year anniversary.

Knyteguy's Goals
September 2015 update $6,833 balance ($11,000-$22,470) - Not met 30%-60% complete (estimated here because I didn't want to look up the actual numbers)

Pay off the debt
September 2015 update $49,093 balance ($60,000 start of thread) - Not met 20% complete

September 2015 update $0 - Not met 0% complete

It's been two years and that ignores the thread you posted 3-4 years ago. Are you doing bad? Absolutely not. Are you doing good? Absolutely not. You're waffling around somewhere in the middle.

EDIT: Brags is probably the wrong word, but continually talks about how disciplined he is or "can be".

Since December of last year our net worth has increased $10,000 despite having a baby. As you guys told me it's not a sprint it's a marathon. We've cut $11,000 of debt off already I think that's great. And no I don't brag. Instead I'm simply happy with how things are going at the moment. I can be disciplined. That's a statement of fact. I can be undisciplined too. Also a statement of fact. I believe that discipline is a choice or series of choices, and nothing more. Anyone healthy can make the choice to be disciplined, or not. Also boo @ the SQL not comparison operator :arghfist:.

There's too much for me to get to from scratch at this point, but I have a post saved in cookies at home (or however SA saves posts) that I'll finish up later and hit some more posts I want to get to (Horking I have a response to you in there).

Here's why I'm posting now - I got back from that lunch meeting with my buddy. The position requires a degree (defense contractor), so it's a no go; he thought I had finished mine. He's huge on the degree thing as he just got his masters in CS, and seems to think I could benefit a lot from finishing mine. Other devs: C/D? Of course I think he thought I made much less than I do though, and it didn't help that I took off in my beater with the side mirror missing (already got a replacement for $12. It was the only major problem with the car) :lol:.

I addressed some more car stuff and business stuff in my other post draft so I won't go into it again. I'll post it after work.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 21, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Net estimated monthly income $3,571 (based on July) or $2,766 per month not going towards your goals.

Can you go into this more? What do you consider net income here? We make more than $3571, but we don't spend nearly that much on fluff either.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
KG it's hard to see how your finances are going, because you aren't posting any actual numbers these days.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Having a degree is useful depending on how cheaply you can get it, for situations like you just described. It might be worth doing part time for a few thousand bucks but at this point in your career I don't really think it's worth four years of tuition, let alone the opportunity cos if you take time off work to do it.

Also what's wrong with "<>"? EDIT: OH LOL I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE HE USED IT IN A POST HAHA.

It's really good that your net worth has been going up, and I did notice your inability to stay within a budget but usually (car excepted loving lol) not spend more than you make. Do you have any thoughts why that may be the case? Is the envelope system not working for you?

Would a soft cap and a hard cap on your numbers help? For my budget, I have a soft cap that break sometimes (it's soft for a reason) and a hard cap I never break. So you would budget, say, 3500 in expected spending and have a "hard" cap of "4000 total spending". Or would that just lead to you spending 4200 that month instead? And it won't help your "lol I impulse bought a car" problems.

I don't want to suggest more overcomplications to your budget though. At this point it really does seem to be impulse control that you're struggling with. :/

What I am concerned about is that your net worth is going up but is it going up fast enough for you to save for retirement AND have nice things? Building retirement savings early is so, so much better than trying to save later in life.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 22, 2015

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Actually KG cares a whole bunch about the journey, otherwise he would have hit his goals by now.

That he continually claims he doesn't is what makes this thread aggravating (also entertaining?)

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Buying the car impulsively was dumb, but having a second car isn't really that extravagant if you live in the suburbs like they do. I'm hoping that KG keeps up the bike commuting to work, I remember him saying that the exercise was recommended by a therapist to stave off the sad brains and alcohol.:ohdear:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

KG it's hard to see how your finances are going, because you aren't posting any actual numbers these days.

Got out of the groove. I'll get back into it soon. October is likely. As I said I am running a budget this month as well.

Horking Delight posted:

Having a degree is useful depending on how cheaply you can get it, for situations like you just described. It might be worth doing part time for a few thousand bucks but at this point in your career I don't really think it's worth four years of tuition, let alone the opportunity cos if you take time off work to do it.

Also what's wrong with "<>"? EDIT: OH LOL I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE HE USED IT IN A POST HAHA.

It's really good that your net worth has been going up, and I did notice your inability to stay within a budget but usually (car excepted loving lol) not spend more than you make. Do you have any thoughts why that may be the case? Is the envelope system not working for you?

Would a soft cap and a hard cap on your numbers help? For my budget, I have a soft cap that break sometimes (it's soft for a reason) and a hard cap I never break. So you would budget, say, 3500 in expected spending and have a "hard" cap of "4000 total spending". Or would that just lead to you spending 4200 that month instead? And it won't help your "lol I impulse bought a car" problems.

I don't want to suggest more overcomplications to your budget though. At this point it really does seem to be impulse control that you're struggling with. :/

What I am concerned about is that your net worth is going up but is it going up fast enough for you to save for retirement AND have nice things? Building retirement savings early is so, so much better than trying to save later in life.

Hm. Yes if I could get into a university cheap/free that would be great. There is a lot of information I could learn about CS. Maybe I could audit some classes here and there or something. No need to make any sort of move at this point in time though. We've gone over this a couple times, but I wanted to clarify once more.

Yeah we haven't spent more than we've made in a very long time.

Remember how I was just complaining that I haven't sold anything on Amazon Associates? I affiliate linked someone who bought a $139.99 Nexus 7 Tablet. Made $10 so far off Amazon now. That's riches, boys :D.

Car is a Camaro coupe I bought from an old guy. It could be a project/hobby car/money pit, but I'm not doing that. It has far less problems than my sister's 92 Accord, and far less miles than my mom's 2002 Camry. Parts are cheap, and I have lots of resources for small block Chevy engines. Insurance as stated if $40.00/mo, and that's full coverage (I may go to liability only).

DogsCantBudget posted:

KG, I actually think that as a growing family you did right to purchase a new car. Like the rest of the thread, I definitely want to know what kind of car it was. Comedy option: Pinto or Gremlin.(Yes I know these would both be more then 20 years old).

I agree that the biggest part that you, I and many other posters in BFC have had is making decisions without bringing them to the thread, and just blindly spending. Regardless of this thread, you are your own man. That means you can always put your foot down and say "Listen guys, I'm buying a car. Why? Because I feel that I need it. I don't feel that I should have to ride a bicycle to/from work and I shouldn't have to rely on my wife to get me around.".

Having a 2k set back sucks, but you made a good choice IMO.

Yeah it does suck. I wish (lol) that public transportation around here was ample an efficient, but that's not the case.

You and spwrozek have the right idea here. Next time I feel I need something I'll post about it, get opinions, and then post the results of my thoughts and my plan of action. I skipped step 3 this time.

Also yeah not only was I relying on my wife, but my mom, sister, and grandma. That's pretty lame for a grown man to do.

n8r posted:

I'll post numbers again. I'll probably switch to a "here's a budget" at the beginning of the month, and then "here was our total inflow vs outflow, and here's how our debt was reduced/savings went up/down" at the end of the month, and then general problem areas in the budget, and analysis and asking for advice on how to improve them. I desire privacy on a micro level while being open on a macro level.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Hiding purchases from a thread you specifically started to coach you on avoiding unnecessary purchases is worrying. And you are being so hostile about it. It's like an alcoholic telling his wife to throw out any booze he buys, but then buying some anyway and snapping at her when she throws it away.

Everyone could see you were planning to buy another car. You are no Mr Money Mustache and you clearly loathe having to share and bike. Why hide it?

Buying an Oculus Rift is just an expensive hobby. If you had wanted to blow some money with a chance of making some, an old iPhone and a developer account would have had an outside chance of making money back. The Oculus is just tempting nerd junk. You need more time than Sunday afternoons to develop worthwhile apps for it. It'll be in the garage gathering dust in a year.

Sharing your plans with the thread would have helped you distinguish between the car purchase (inevitable) and the Oculus (pointless).

I don't loathe it at all. It became unpractical. Before the baby my wife and I enjoyed sharing a car. I also enjoy biking. I rode bikes everywhere for over a decade.

I disagree the Oculus is pointless. Regardless it was paid for with my business money, so it should be fine. I think I covered your other points above.

imabanana posted:

I would recommend checking the forums attached to the book I told you to read earlier in the thread. You're going to find interesting reading there about businesses and more support for what you are trying to do - I don't think most people here are going to be supportive of non W-2 work. Partially because of the history in the thread I think, in fairness, and the way it is framed.

I do think you need more of a plan for whatever you are doing, but you may just not be going into the Oculus thing in detail, which is fine.

With the microscope endeavor - my point was that just by realizing that you can import/dropship/whatever you are doing, and doing it, you are are further along than 99.9% of people who day dream about starting a business. So it didn't work with the microscope thing. Pick a different product. Try a different product with FBA. Try something else with the knowledge you gained, which is the bottom line.

No idea what you are talking about with the Steam thing, I may have missed you talking about that, but once again I think you are trying ideas that sound fun (just based on it being something attached to video games, which in general is saturated) instead of ideas that are serving hungry, underserved markets.

I'm about to start importing products and selling them FBA (and via an ecommerce site.) In most of the case studies I am reading of successful people doing this, it's the unsexy stuff that works. I'm sure some people are going to get rich from the Oculus, but I would think about that a little bit, in general.

Interesting. I was reading the other forums for a bit; I'll have to pop in and look at some of the discussion.

I'm definitely wary of video games even if they would be fun. The industry is totally toxic. I think this has value as an educational software with a gamified front. I've got a very basic version now with keyboard and mouse input, basic models and functionality, but I may put this particular version on the backburner after trying the Rift first hand last night. I think the real value may in fact be in apps for the Rift/VR (enhancing what people already do). I'll definitely look into the expanding my drop shipping stuff again. I didn't even think of that for some reason.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Buying the car impulsively was dumb, but having a second car isn't really that extravagant if you live in the suburbs like they do. I'm hoping that KG keeps up the bike commuting to work, I remember him saying that the exercise was recommended by a therapist to stave off the sad brains and alcohol.:ohdear:

I intend to bike commute when the days are mild, and when the baby isn't keeping us up every night. We've been weening him out of co-sleeping with us, and holy gently caress it's been rough. I'm very thankful I can put off getting ready and leaving for 30 minutes right now.

n8r posted:

Pretty sure nobody hassles you had said that you and your wife were cutting your discretionary/restaurant budget $200/month for 5 months so you can afford a $2000 car. The long and the short of it is: you want to stick to a budget only if it isn't hard and requires no real planning or sacrifices.

'I was tired of having to wait for my wife to get home if I needed to do anything' - Plan ahead better, ride your bike, take the bus.
'I didn't want to ride my bike in the snow and sleet with a potential huge el nino winter coming' - Take the bus, carpool, or coordinate with your wife.
'I was wasting about an hour a day getting ready and on the bike ride (remember the whole time thing I keep going on about?)' - Aren't you all of 4 miles away? Pedal harder, get your poo poo together the night before so you don't gently caress around in the morning.
'I had no way of getting my baby around. ' - Plan ahead better, take the bus.
'I had no time to run to the store in the morning for anything (absolutely nowhere to lock the bike).' Go to a different store, or go to the store when you have the car.
'What if my son got sick, what if my sister got sick, what if my mom got sick, what if my baby got hurt' - Call 911
'I was tired of being stuck at work for my hour lunch every single day. I forgot my lunch? poo poo I'm going hungry.' - What are you 8? Don't forget your lunch. Ride your bike to a place to get lunch (you really can't afford to go out for lunch FYI).

You had issues in the past about running out of food at the house, so your only solution was to go blowing money on dinners since you had nothing at the house. All of this bike related stuff seems like similar stuff where you weren't planning ahead enough to solve a lot of these issues.

The last time you disappeared from BFC you came back with a 10%+ loan on a brand new car you had no business buying. There is a direct correlation between you disappearing and you making poor financial choices. So if you plan on falling off the BFC posting wagon, what will you do to stay on track?

I had a big response to this that I can't remember, but I've stated before there's no bus that runs out here.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

A good reliable car for 2k is a good deal IMO. Earlier when you were talking about buying one, I was thinking you would be financing one for like 10k.

Did you end up making a big payment towards the other car this month?

Not this month. I was getting uncomfortable with the outflow. October, though. Probably around $1,500, but it depends what my wife gets paid (haven't seen a full 40 hour paycheck yet).

Hawkgirl posted:

It sounds like the thread is more of a burden than a useful tool for you now. Hiding things from the thread isn't helpful; feeling like you have to be on the defensive and therefore not feeling like sharing major purchases with the thread is not helpful. Close the thread if it's hurting more than it's helping.

If everyone can get on board with my proposal above, then I'll stop being defensive. I just want a little privacy on a micro level. I've seen other BFCers afforded the same.

foxatee posted:

What you do with your money is up to you. All you can do if say, "These are my goals. How do I achieve them?" The thread gives you advice and you can choose what to follow based on your own circumstances. If you wanted to buy a second car and saw a need, it doesn't matter what the thread thinks. You felt you circumstances called for a second car. Fine. Save up for it. Don't hum and haw and try to think how to make the thread happy-- think how to make you happy. Had you just told the thread (not asked. Told) you were going to buy a second car for X, Y, Z reasons, they would at least insisted you save up for it even if they didn't agree with the decision.

Stop trying to make everyone happy. And while you're at it, stop looking over other people's fences. I don't care what everyone else is doing. I don't care that other people have managed to get their side projects off the ground. You haven't shown the commitment to do such things.

Quite frankly I'm more disappointed with the oculus purchase than the vehicle. At least the vehicle has a purpose while the other is just fueling another of your pipe dreams.

Pipe Dreams are important, though. At one point simply working on a computer was a pipe dream for me. Despite having a decent job, I quit it and followed my pipe dreams. It was rough for awhile, but our lives are drastically better than before. Now I don't have to work with tweakers on the graveyard shift and I have my own office. I was told lots of times "you won't do that", or "you can't do that". That's one of the reasons I continue to pursue something more. I believe that I have showed commitment. I have made about $20,000 from my businesses over the few years (I have the tax forms to prove it). You guys don't have to agree with it; it's a drive in me I don't feel I need to hinder. I generally approach my business ideas with pragmatism, and rarely dedicate more than time (ie I don't spend much money on the things).

Alrighty I tried to cover most everything, but that's about it for this post.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

That whole post felt like about five big steps backwards.

- Bought a Camaro
- Not going to report specific numbers anymore
- Not going to report numbers at all this month ("October seems likely")

I dunno, maybe I'm completely misinterpreting but I think at some point in the future you're going to look back on right now and go "wow, that was a mistake."

And the tone of the whole post, as you said, is really, really defensive- and I think it's because you know there are mistakes here and don't want to be questioned about them. People are here to help.

Referee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 22, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That entire post can be summarized as "we're done here."

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

georgebush_missionaccomplished.jpg

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

That whole post felt like about five big steps backwards.

- Bought a Camaro
- Not going to report specific numbers anymore
- Not going to report numbers at all this month ("October seems likely")

I dunno, maybe I'm completely misinterpreting but I think at some point in the future you're going to look back on right now and go "wow, that was a mistake."

And the tone of the whole post, as you said, is really, really defensive- and I think it's because you know there are mistakes here and don't want to be questioned about them. People are here to help.

The car is again meaningless. My grandma's Civic had $5,000 in repairs over the past year, and my sister's Accord had a couple thousand. I can do the work myself and with help, and parts are cheap. BFC won't understand that, so that's why I didn't want to post it. I know everyone is going to see "Camaro" and get irrational about it. Irrational is key there. And yes it's fine to put the baby around town in.

I said I'll report the intended budget, problem areas of the budget, and totals on a macro level. What else matters? It's more for me so I don't have to rename categories and stuff to post them here. If people are here to help as you say, then I think it's important to attack a problem in a manner suited for me. I may not do this forever, but it's the only way I can keep the thread in the loop right now.

I didn't say I wouldn't post September's numbers. I was intending to.

Also not everyone is here to help IS. And I don't feel like I was defensive there at all. I was simply being real. If everyone can't handle that, then I don't know how to approach this thread anymore.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That entire post can be summarized as "we're done here."

You're part of the problem. That was kind of poo poo saying I was a scrub tier programmer dude. That's not even a character issue to criticize on, and it was an ignorant statement too.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Yeah, you bought a hobby car on a whim because you couldn't control your desire and you are backing it up with reasonable excuses. Just be truthful dude, goddamn. It's not like anyone here believes this bullshit.

You can't even transport your kid in that car. You need to open up your eyes.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

Yeah, you bought a hobby car on a whim because you couldn't control your desire and you are backing it up with reasonable excuses. Just be truthful dude, goddamn. It's not like anyone here believes this bullshit.

You can't even transport your kid in that car. You need to open up your eyes.

This is an assumption. I have transported him multiple times just fine (it has 4 seats), and no it's not a hobby car. I wanted a turnkey little bit of fun car, not something I have to wrench all of the time. I am being truthful. Can't say much more than that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Has your LT1 given you issues with Optispark yet?

Also, I agree with the previous posts after you posted the big one about no more discussion, no August or September reconciliations, and the MulletMobile. Wtf.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

You're part of the problem. That was kind of poo poo saying I was a scrub tier programmer dude. That's not even a character issue to criticize on, and it was an ignorant statement too.
What advice are you even taking from this thread anymore? Everything posted here gets countered with "but MMM!" or hand-waved away as BFC just not getting it or something. I just don't see the point anymore. You seem to be comfortable with where you're at financially (which is nowhere near the goals you set out with initially) so why is this in BFC anymore?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

The car is again meaningless. My grandma's Civic had $5,000 in repairs over the past year, and my sister's Accord had a couple thousand. I can do the work myself and with help, and parts are cheap. BFC won't understand that, so that's why I didn't want to post it. I know everyone is going to see "Camaro" and get irrational about it. Irrational is key there. And yes it's fine to put the baby around town in.

I said I'll report the intended budget, problem areas of the budget, and totals on a macro level. What else matters? It's more for me so I don't have to rename categories and stuff to post them here. If people are here to help as you say, then I think it's important to attack a problem in a manner suited for me. I may not do this forever, but it's the only way I can keep the thread in the loop right now.

I didn't say I wouldn't post September's numbers. I was intending to.

Also not everyone is here to help IS. And I don't feel like I was defensive there at all. I was simply being real. If everyone can't handle that, then I don't know how to approach this thread anymore.

If you had come right out initially and said you bought a Camaro, you might have gotten a snide comment here or there but you would have avoided the page of buildup about "what kind of expensive car did he buy because he won't tell us?"

Any kind of car can have expensive repairs, as you stated. Some are more prone to it than others. In addition, as you mentioned, some cars have more potential to become projects/money pits and Camaros likely fall into that category, which again, would be fine if you hadn't built up the whole car purchase again to begin with.

Perhaps I don't understand your definition of "macro level" but if you're not going to post budget categories (because it's too much trouble to rename them? How much time can that really take?) then what are you talking about?

If you're going to post September's numbers (which would presumably include a budget?) when are you going to do so? It's the 22nd of the month!

And if you don't feel like you're being defensive, why did you state that you were in your last post? For that matter, go grab a random post from you from three months ago and compare your tone to these last two posts and see what you think.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I waffled back and forth on 3-4 different replies.

I agree with Star War Sex Parrot - just bail on the thread. It's definitely not as bad as Slow Motion, but you're at a point where you don't really care about getting advice anymore, so why keep posting. If you're looking for people in BFC to circle jerk the fact that you met budget for 3-4 months out of the last 12 it's probably not going to happen.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Has your LT1 given you issues with Optispark yet?

Also, I agree with the previous posts after you posted the big one about no more discussion, no August or September reconciliations, and the MulletMobile. Wtf.

No. She starts right up in the mornings. I'm sure it'll be something I run into eventually, but we have a good junk yard around here and I'm going to keep my eye open. There's also an LS1 coil something or other conversion that can be done for about the price of a new distributor if it comes up.

I didn't say no August or September reconciliations jeez guys.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What advice are you even taking from this thread anymore? Everything posted here gets countered with "but MMM!" or hand-waved away as BFC just not getting it or something. I just don't see the point anymore. You seem to be comfortable with where you're at financially (which is nowhere near the goals you set out with initially) so why is this in BFC anymore?

I intend to keep the thread going one way or another until we're out of debt. Many of the posters here are owed that, I believe.

Beyond the career and business advice that I'm taking that is being ignored for some reason, the financial advice has been slim because I haven't been posting numbers.

I'm not at all comfortable with my financial situation. I'm comfortable with my rate of progress at this moment. I've gone from an F student to a C student. I'm not happy with my level of knowledge and application, but I'm happy that I'm not an F student any longer. Eventually I want to be maybe a B+ or A- student.

IllegallySober posted:

If you had come right out initially and said you bought a Camaro, you might have gotten a snide comment here or there but you would have avoided the page of buildup about "what kind of expensive car did he buy because he won't tell us?"

Any kind of car can have expensive repairs, as you stated. Some are more prone to it than others. In addition, as you mentioned, some cars have more potential to become projects/money pits and Camaros likely fall into that category, which again, would be fine if you hadn't built up the whole car purchase again to begin with.

Perhaps I don't understand your definition of "macro level" but if you're not going to post budget categories (because it's too much trouble to rename them? How much time can that really take?) then what are you talking about?

If you're going to post September's numbers (which would presumably include a budget?) when are you going to do so? It's the 22nd of the month!

And if you don't feel like you're being defensive, why did you state that you were in your last post? For that matter, go grab a random post from you from three months ago and compare your tone to these last two posts and see what you think.

I'll post September at the end of the month. I just reconciled YNAB this morning, even.

I didn't post the car for the reasons you guys are thinking. Can you guys just trust me on this and let it slide?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I waffled back and forth on 3-4 different replies.

I agree with Star War Sex Parrot - just bail on the thread. It's definitely not as bad as Slow Motion, but you're at a point where you don't really care about getting advice anymore, so why keep posting. If you're looking for people in BFC to circle jerk the fact that you met budget for 3-4 months out of the last 12 it's probably not going to happen.

I'm not looking for that at all. I want to prove to myself, and everyone else here (for an array of reasons) that this will be done. That's about the end of my motivations for this thread.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 22, 2015

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

I didn't post the car for the reasons you guys are thinking. Can you guys just trust me on this and let it slide?
What reasons? This really frustrated me too, since seriously, all you did was turn a molehill into a mountain. Here we are positing about the ridiculous vehicle you purchased, and while this definitely isn't the most baby friendly car on earth, it's also not a 2 seater or some such.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Knyteguy posted:

I will not finance a car again unless I have budgeted and saved to pay for it in cash, and it makes mathematical sense to do so (~<3%, etc).

Ah good point. I don't know if we'll ever sell this car while it's still running at least. I find it a little boring, but my wife likes it well enough and it gets the job done.

Sounds like a hobby car to me. I don't think "Camaro" when I think about a car suitable for my child, but whatever. Done is done. Did you make that extra car payment? I couldn't remember if I read that or not. How is the smoking thing going?

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
KG c'mon dude.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have 3 kids and drive a WRX just fine. A Camaro is fine, assuming the maintenance isn't significantly higher than a 'regular' car.

e: Not saying he shouldn't have budgeted for it, but ripping him apart for getting a Camaro is kinda silly.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I swear at some point KG complained about having a bad back. The fact that he bought a coupe that will probably require a bit of origami to get the kid into is pretty bad news. You should absolutely not carry full coverage on a $2000 car, you're wasting money on that policy. Drop everything but liability and maybe keep comprehensive if it's cheap.

I think part of the frustration a lot of the regular posters have had for a long time, perhaps the entire time this thread has been around, is the fact that you perform gold medal winning mental gymnastics to justify your poor purchases.

* You did not set aside money out of your regular monthly budget to save up for this car.
* You bought a car that is an objectively poor choice for getting a kid in and out of, and hauling a kid around.
* You bought a car that is not nearly as safe as a car you could have purchased in similar price ranges. If you had purchased a car with side airbags you would have been buying a significantly safer car.
* You bought a car that is known for it's unreliability and expensive maintenance.

- Despite all of these things, you are not accepting that you made a poor purchasing decision. Do you see why people might strongly disagree with you?

Knyteguy posted:

Beyond the career and business advice that I'm taking that is being ignored for some reason, the financial advice has been slim because I haven't been posting numbers.

What financial advice do you need? People have been shouting the same handful of techniques that are necessary for good budgeting and spending habits for *years*. What parts of good spending habits do you not understand?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
that car seems fine to me, assuming you were always going to get a car. here's my evidence:
- cheap
- four seats
- function as a vehicle, enabling you to travel on streets and highways

I'm not sure what other criteria people wanted here but those would have been mine.

e: cool the post above answered my question preemptively

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2015

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

I'm more of a guy who focuses on the destination than the journey. There are some people who constantly go over budget by say x%. To remedy that situation they set their budgets x% lower than what they want to hit their goals. I feel like I'm in that group. I will also always find it stupid to focus on hitting the budget rather than hitting our bigger goals.

I think most people in the thread would agree that the reason for budgeting is to have achievable, incremental goals that over time add up to achieving a long term goal. The only reason to focus on hitting a budget over and over in itself is to demonstrate self-discipline.

Knyteguy posted:

If you want to judge me by X metric and then use the budget for X, then I won't give that much thought because I'm obviously kind of bad at budgeting, but I've made progress regardless of that.

Most of this thread is people offering free advice because you asked, not judging you. You're not bad at budgeting--you can make a reasonable budget just fine, but you have trouble sticking to it. So you're saying that you won't give this much thought because you can make progress regardless of self-discipline. OK.

Knyteguy posted:

Bugamol's critique actually gives the situation a context. if we're hitting the goals in a mediocre manner currently, then that's fine with me. There's always room to improve.

Two years ago you had the potential of the next two years to achieve many of your goals. Now those two years are gone. I would have to compare what you have achieved to what you reasonably could have achieved in order to say if you're better off now. I'm also wondering what you're going to get from this thread because it sounds like you view it as a source of negativity instead of people trying to help you. Based on what you've shared it doesn't seem like negativity is a good source of motivation for you.

^^^Side airbags is what I was getting at with the car not being baby-friendly, and what I thought of as soon as I heard 20 years old.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

Sounds like a hobby car to me. I don't think "Camaro" when I think about a car suitable for my child, but whatever. Done is done. Did you make that extra car payment? I couldn't remember if I read that or not. How is the smoking thing going?

Not this month; unless you guys think I still should? I didn't want so much going out of the bank account. However October 1st we'll probably be going with ~$1,000-$1,500. If we can maintain that rate (or better), then we can have our car paid off in around 13-20 months. That doesn't include the normal principal reduction from normal payments.

I've been given some though on what everyone has been saying, and I need to post my goals again. For me and for you guys. I think Horking's post with the fake me post covered it pretty well, but there's some parts I'd like to change or modify.

n8r posted:

I swear at some point KG complained about having a bad back. The fact that he bought a coupe that will probably require a bit of origami to get the kid into is pretty bad news. You should absolutely not carry full coverage on a $2000 car, you're wasting money on that policy. Drop everything but liability and maybe keep comprehensive if it's cheap.

I think part of the frustration a lot of the regular posters have had for a long time, perhaps the entire time this thread has been around, is the fact that you perform gold medal winning mental gymnastics to justify your poor purchases.

* You did not set aside money out of your regular monthly budget to save up for this car.
* You bought a car that is an objectively poor choice for getting a kid in and out of, and hauling a kid around.
* You bought a car that is not nearly as safe as a car you could have purchased in similar price ranges. If you had purchased a car with side airbags you would have been buying a significantly safer car.
* You bought a car that is known for it's unreliability and expensive maintenance.

- Despite all of these things, you are not accepting that you made a poor purchasing decision. Do you see why people might strongly disagree with you?

What financial advice do you need? People have been shouting the same handful of techniques that are necessary for good budgeting and spending habits for *years*. What parts of good spending habits do you not understand?

Isn't comprehensive full coverage? I'm mostly worried about the car getting stolen.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

"If everyone can get on board with my proposal above, then I'll stop being defensive. I just want a little privacy on a micro level. I've seen other BFCers afforded the same."

You're never going to be able to control the tone of the thread. If that's the deal, you should just close it now. It's your life, you owe us nothing. You certainly don't have to be tethered to a thread that's pissing you off as some sort of thank you to the people that have helped you in the past.

Close it, leave it open, whatever. But if you're just going to complain when someone asks to see a more detailed budget than what you care to post, you might as well just stop now.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have 3 kids and drive a WRX just fine. A Camaro is fine, assuming the maintenance isn't significantly higher than a 'regular' car.

e: Not saying he shouldn't have budgeted for it, but ripping him apart for getting a Camaro is kinda silly.

Your car has four doors and airbags. I'd wager it also has much more functional trunk/hatch space which is necessary to carry all the accoutrements involved with having a kid.

Check out the sweet sweet storage capacity of the camaro:

Man that legroom is great:

A child seat fits great - check this out:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20120111-6-066618.html
What the?! Ever seen a baby seat in the back of a Camaro before? (Yes, took some custom work to get it to fit. Added a 3rd seatbelt to the original factory anchor points, and is anchored in the rear to the rear deck cargo anchor points. It overlaps the other seats slightly but my kids are still young and small enough to fit.)
-That sounds super safe. It looks like a perfect setup to launch the kid through the front windshield in an accident

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/qtbelts.pdf
- Children up to the age of 12 should sit in the back seat, this is of no concern for KG, because his kid has no legs.

e:
Comprehensive is theft coverage and acts of God / hitting deer coverage. 'Full Coverage' implies a wide range of coverages. Post up your current coverages and someone in here can give you some pointers.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

n8r posted:

Your car has four doors and airbags. I'd wager it also has much more functional trunk/hatch space which is necessary to carry all the accoutrements involved with having a kid.

Check out the sweet sweet storage capacity of the camaro:

Man that legroom is great:

A child seat fits great - check this out:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20120111-6-066618.html
What the?! Ever seen a baby seat in the back of a Camaro before? (Yes, took some custom work to get it to fit. Added a 3rd seatbelt to the original factory anchor points, and is anchored in the rear to the rear deck cargo anchor points. It overlaps the other seats slightly but my kids are still young and small enough to fit.)
-That sounds super safe. It looks like a perfect setup to launch the kid through the front windshield in an accident

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/qtbelts.pdf
- Children up to the age of 12 should sit in the back seat, this is of no concern for KG, because his kid has no legs.

e:
Comprehensive is theft coverage and acts of God / hitting deer coverage. 'Full Coverage' implies a wide range of coverages. Post up your current coverages and someone in here can give you some pointers.

KG has an infant so the seat needs to be facing towards the rear - can that be accomplished by putting the front seat down assuming that's even safe?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I saw a fourth gen Camaro the other day and the reason I bring it up is because they were loving everywhere for a while and now they're mostly either rotting in a junkyard or in front of a trailer.

Knyte, you probably could have done a better job getting a car that's more useful for your family. Something with 4 doors, safe, reliable, and that gets good fuel mileage.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Yes it was a lovely car choice. Yes it was hidden from the Thread for a reason. Yes he hasn't maintained a budget for months (prove me wrong KG!)

I highly doubt going on and on about the stupid car choice is going to help anything now...

KG - full coverage includes collision, comprehensive and liability. Collision is you hitting others/objects, comprehensive is someone slashing your tires, keying your car, a rock breaking your windshield, etc. I carry full coverage because it's not *that* much more. I probably should drop it. I've never had an at fault accident - but my ex who shared cars and policies with me did, and it saved us a shitload of money last year because of her driving antics.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

OneWhoKnows posted:

KG has an infant so the seat needs to be facing towards the rear - can that be accomplished by putting the front seat down assuming that's even safe?

For the sake of baby convo:
He sits fine currently I've already taken him to a couple of places.

We're in the market for a new car seat soon as he has gotten close to outgrowing his current one; there's a couple recommendations on some Z28 specific forums I was checking out that are supposed to fit pretty well. I did a test run with my own body, and I fit OK (5'11").

SiGmA_X posted:

Yes it was a lovely car choice. Yes it was hidden from the Thread for a reason. Yes he hasn't maintained a budget for months (prove me wrong KG!)

I highly doubt going on and on about the stupid car choice is going to help anything now...

KG - full coverage includes collision, comprehensive and liability. Collision is you hitting others/objects, comprehensive is someone slashing your tires, keying your car, a rock breaking your windshield, etc. I carry full coverage because it's not *that* much more. I probably should drop it. I've never had an at fault accident - but my ex who shared cars and policies with me did, and it saved us a shitload of money last year because of her driving antics.

n8r posted:

OK well it has comprehensive and collision. It sounds like I should drop the collision?

Current coverage:

Nocheez posted:

I saw a fourth gen Camaro the other day and the reason I bring it up is because they were loving everywhere for a while and now they're mostly either rotting in a junkyard or in front of a trailer.

Knyte, you probably could have done a better job getting a car that's more useful for your family. Something with 4 doors, safe, reliable, and that gets good fuel mileage.

I know. I wanted something a little fun too though, ya know? I really enjoy driving; it helps me take the edge off a little bit. It's a guilty pleasure, I guess. That's pretty much all.

Hawkgirl posted:

"If everyone can get on board with my proposal above, then I'll stop being defensive. I just want a little privacy on a micro level. I've seen other BFCers afforded the same."

You're never going to be able to control the tone of the thread. If that's the deal, you should just close it now. It's your life, you owe us nothing. You certainly don't have to be tethered to a thread that's pissing you off as some sort of thank you to the people that have helped you in the past.

Close it, leave it open, whatever. But if you're just going to complain when someone asks to see a more detailed budget than what you care to post, you might as well just stop now.

The only way I'm closing this thread is if I'm out of debt.

I'll try to come up with a way to compromise some here. I wish I could use Mint. They send emails when you hit a budget spending condition, and I'd be more willing to post that.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

RheaConfused posted:

ITM posted:

It was an impulse purchase knyteguy. You thought about it for "months" but the actual decision to buy it was on impulse. If it wasn't on impulse, you could have sought advice on the car. A bunch of people here supported you buying a second car the whole time, but you did it in the same old irresponsible knyteguy way, which is what the thread is trying to prevent. We want you to have the things your family needs. We don't want every large spending decision to be "gently caress it, I've been thinking about this for months and we have the savings lets just do it".

Knyteguy, honestly, with everything said and every reason you've laid out after the fact (there were a lot, but they only really fail the "Was this inconvenience worth $2k to get rid of" test), I can't say the purchasing of the car was all that bad as a purchase!

But almost no one else in this thread is saying it was a bad purchase. They're saying it was a budget failure, which it was, in being an impulse buy you didn't save up for. I'm gonna ask this question and feel no need to answer or even acknowledge that I asked it. I just want you to think about this and whether it could be true. You came back to the thread in a "foul mood," but did that expand back to when you purchased the car? And did you feel better after dropping $2k? That's not necessarily a sign of trouble; many of the stressors you laid out were actually solved by a car. But if the act of impulsively buying it brought you pleasure, that could be a worrying sign for your control over your money. Impulse buying is a problem regardless but everyone else covered that.

I want to know why it couldn't be budgeted for. Why this conversation ISN'T, as other posters said, about you coming back to the thread, saying "I've decided! In four months I'm saving up $2k and buying this car and that's that. Improvements to the plan appreciated but I'm doing it!"

foxatee posted:

You felt you circumstances called for a second car. Fine. Save up for it. Don't hum and haw and try to think how to make the thread happy-- think how to make you happy.

Also:

Knyteguy posted:

Also yeah not only was I relying on my wife, but my mom, sister, and grandma. That's pretty lame for a grown man to do.

Tell me: do you believe anyone in your life would judge you for this? Certainly there's a ton of assholes who would judge you based on some weird ideal of how A Man Provides. But this sentence is up there with "A man never shaves." If his job bans beards I bet he does even if his bearded friend gives him poo poo! You are providing, as a father, by taking on discomfort for a better financial future for your child. Well, you were. I believe you it was lame as opposed to owning a car! But anyone you feel close enough to like your family to tell about your financial plans and struggles most likely isn't thinking "He got a ride from [sister] man what a loser."

Seriously has Blue Story transcended being such a gently caress-up that she is now the TRUE forums cancer and has infected you? All the defensiveness and things about "If everyone can get on board with my proposal above, then I'll stop being defensive. I just want a little privacy on a micro level." and "Also not everyone is here to help IS. And I don't feel like I was defensive there at all" is worrying. You can tell us Knyteguy. The car is a lie and it was a rideable ball droid isn't it.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Knyteguy posted:

No. Because the reason I am thinking, and probably most of the thread is thinking, is because you knew it wasn't the wisest choice of cars and you failed by not budgeting for it. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that?

Knyteguy posted:

I am being truthful. Can't say much more than that.

Nope, you aren't. Post all the budgets you've missed over the last few months.

Knyteguy posted:

I missed this before. Gross. Am I lame for sharing a car with my husband too? Or is he cool for taking care of his little woman?

Let me just be honest here: what is lame is driving around that loving douchenozzle of a car.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
KG, do you still not understand that the problem isn't the car so much as the way you went about it? PLAN AND BUDGET. That's all you have to do.

I wonder, how much of your decision was driven by everybody giving you poo poo about being a pussy-whipped pansy fagboy riding a bike to work? LOL only kids ride bikes. Even your boss was giving you poo poo. Your car says "Look I have a penis!"

Knyteguy posted:

I didn't want to ride my bike in the snow and sleet with a potential huge el nino winter coming.
And a RWD muscle car is your solution to that? Guess we better add some good winter tires to your budget, as well as cost of switching them out. You are budgeting for that, right?

Knyteguy posted:

I was tired of being stuck at home. I was tired of having to wait for my wife to get home if I needed to do anything. I had no way of getting my baby around.
Your wife just started her 9-5 job. What's there to be tired of? Why not spend the hour or two playing with the baby or cooking dinner? WTF do you need to do in such a short amount of time? Hell, getting the baby ready to go out would take up half of it.

Knyteguy posted:

I had no time to run to the store in the morning for anything (absolutely nowhere to lock the bike).
What do you need in the morning that you can't get the night before? I've gone to stores without bike locks. I take my bike in with me. Grocery stores have places to chain it, so we're talking 7-11 type places. Put it next to the auto traders and slot machines.

Knyteguy posted:

What if my son got sick, what if my sister got sick, what if my mom got sick, what if my baby got hurt, what if he's having such a poor night and I'm stuck at home for some reason?
I want you to calculate how many taxi rides it takes for you before you break even on this. Hell, before you get to the 50% mark. Factor in continuing insurance, maintenance, and snow tires.

Knyteguy posted:

I was tired of being stuck at work for my hour lunch every single day.
What, the bike becomes encased in carbonite on your lunch break?

Knyteguy posted:

That's probably 50% of it.

Be honest with yourself. It's way less than 50% of it. You wanted a car, you were tired of people giving you poo poo, so you decided to be a man and get a sports car.

Ease and safety of baby weren't even a factor. I don't envy your wife when the three of you go somewhere. Can you even do rear-facing in that thing with your car seat?

I don't envy your back, either.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Greg posted:

Knyteguy, honestly, with everything said and every reason you've laid out after the fact (there were a lot, but they only really fail the "Was this inconvenience worth $2k to get rid of" test), I can't say the purchasing of the car was all that bad as a purchase!

But almost no one else in this thread is saying it was a bad purchase. They're saying it was a budget failure, which it was, in being an impulse buy you didn't save up for. I'm gonna ask this question and feel no need to answer or even acknowledge that I asked it. I just want you to think about this and whether it could be true. You came back to the thread in a "foul mood," but did that expand back to when you purchased the car? And did you feel better after dropping $2k? That's not necessarily a sign of trouble; many of the stressors you laid out were actually solved by a car. But if the act of impulsively buying it brought you pleasure, that could be a worrying sign for your control over your money. Impulse buying is a problem regardless but everyone else covered that.

I want to know why it couldn't be budgeted for. Why this conversation ISN'T, as other posters said, about you coming back to the thread, saying "I've decided! In four months I'm saving up $2k and buying this car and that's that. Improvements to the plan appreciated but I'm doing it!"

Also:

Tell me: do you believe anyone in your life would judge you for this? Certainly there's a ton of assholes who would judge you based on some weird ideal of how A Man Provides. But this sentence is up there with "A man never shaves." If his job bans beards I bet he does even if his bearded friend gives him poo poo! You are providing, as a father, by taking on discomfort for a better financial future for your child. Well, you were. I believe you it was lame as opposed to owning a car! But anyone you feel close enough to like your family to tell about your financial plans and struggles most likely isn't thinking "He got a ride from [sister] man what a loser."

Seriously has Blue Story transcended being such a gently caress-up that she is now the TRUE forums cancer and has infected you? All the defensiveness and things about "If everyone can get on board with my proposal above, then I'll stop being defensive. I just want a little privacy on a micro level." and "Also not everyone is here to help IS. And I don't feel like I was defensive there at all" is worrying. You can tell us Knyteguy. The car is a lie and it was a rideable ball droid isn't it.

It's about judging myself. I could save a ton of money living at home with mom or grandma, but why would I do that? Part of growing up is becoming independent. Now if I or someone else had to that would be different.

RheaConfused posted:

I missed this before. Gross. Am I lame for sharing a car with my husband too? Or is he cool for taking care of his little woman?

Let me just be honest here: what is lame is driving around that loving douchenozzle of a car.

I think you're projecting a bit. I never said anything about relying on my spouse being lame, and you're getting a little defensive there. Just see my post above this is a stupid argument.

You definitely don't have to like the car for what it is.

Old Fart posted:

KG, do you still not understand that the problem isn't the car so much as the way you went about it? PLAN AND BUDGET. That's all you have to do.

I wonder, how much of your decision was driven by everybody giving you poo poo about being a pussy-whipped pansy fagboy riding a bike to work? LOL only kids ride bikes. Even your boss was giving you poo poo. Your car says "Look I have a penis!"

And a RWD muscle car is your solution to that? Guess we better add some good winter tires to your budget, as well as cost of switching them out. You are budgeting for that, right?

Your wife just started her 9-5 job. What's there to be tired of? Why not spend the hour or two playing with the baby or cooking dinner? WTF do you need to do in such a short amount of time? Hell, getting the baby ready to go out would take up half of it.

What do you need in the morning that you can't get the night before? I've gone to stores without bike locks. I take my bike in with me. Grocery stores have places to chain it, so we're talking 7-11 type places. Put it next to the auto traders and slot machines.

I want you to calculate how many taxi rides it takes for you before you break even on this. Hell, before you get to the 50% mark. Factor in continuing insurance, maintenance, and snow tires.

What, the bike becomes encased in carbonite on your lunch break?

Be honest with yourself. It's way less than 50% of it. You wanted a car, you were tired of people giving you poo poo, so you decided to be a man and get a sports car.

Ease and safety of baby weren't even a factor. I don't envy your wife when the three of you go somewhere. Can you even do rear-facing in that thing with your car seat?

I don't envy your back, either.

None of that (bottom three sentences). The car choice has nothing to do with being a "man". I think people who can practically KEY WORD HERE get around on their bikes are cool, personally. I didn't like not being independent, and I chose a car I wanted to drive. I like the power; I couldn't care less what it looks like.

RWD snow - yeah I thought about this. I drove a 2004 RWD G35 Coupe around for a couple years through some bad snowstorms though, and it went fine though on stock tires. But, I'll post about this some more in a bit.

OF have you had your baby yet? What's there to be tired of!? Good god man just wait. I've woken up no less than 3 times a night for the past 5 days to the worst screaming you've ever heard. Weaning them off cosleeping is a pain in the rear end, but my wife found it easier so that's what we rolled with. 1-2 hours a day is wonderful. It's not all playing either there's times where he's biting, screaming, crying, having projectile poop, and peeing all over me all at once. It's great, and at the same time it's also absolutely tiring.

Edit: you see these teeth? Terror and pain comes with these teeth (wouldn't mind some more cute baby pictures in here guys :3:).

Old Greg I'll get to some more of your post if things don't get too crazy. It was a good post. I'm wrapping up some work now so I only have time to post superficial information. I liked where this was going though.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

What are your new goals? What is your new plan for your future? What do you prioritize? Does this sound accurate (please, please feel free to fill it in better with more info)?

"My name is Knyteguy. I work in software and I have a wife who works in (field; sorry, I forgot what it is) and a 7-month old son. My short term family goals are [increasing my salary, starting a successful new side business] and my long term goals are [a modest retirement in my 60s, running my own business full time, ensuring I can pay for my child's college tuition]. In order to achieve these goals, I will do [work on side businesses in my free time, follow some sort of budget]. The things I value are [being near and spending time with family, providing a comfortable life for my child, living reasonably comfortably in the present]. Things my family has currently done towards these goals are [interviewing for a better job, starting several new side businesses, wife got a new job]. Things I could work better on are [having realistic goals, not failing my budget goals, not treating windfalls as free money/relying on them as income]."

My name is Knyteguy. I work in software and I have a wife who works in reception and a 7-month old son. My short term family goals are increasing my salary, and starting a successful new side business. My long term goals are moving to Silicon Valley/Seattle to jump start my career, getting out of debt, running a business full time ensuring I can pay for my child's college tuition, investing a ton of our spare income, and stretch goal owning a house and FI. In order to achieve these goals, I will try to figure out how to get a degree for free, do work on side businesses in my free time, follow some sort of budget. The things I value are being near and spending time with family, providing a comfortable life for my child, ensuring that my child's educational needs are met in the absolute best manner possible, and living reasonably comfortably in the present. Things my family has currently done towards these goals are interviewing for a better job, starting several new side businesses, wife got a new job. Things I could work better on are having realistic goals, not failing my budget goals by ensuring that my budget goals are moderate to start, not treating windfalls as free money/relying on them as income.

Finally. I've been putting this off. How's that?

Old Greg posted:

Also:

GIS ridable ball droid:

I'll trade my car for that

A lot of my defensiveness is from stuff off thread and unrelated to the majority of you. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm not worried about being judged for hitching a ride with everyone. I do think it's a little immature and irresponsible (as it's my mother, grandmother, and sister; I don't include my spouse in there ffs), however I worry more about the burden it sets on them. You guys have to realize that we get a lot of help from those three with the baby, including lots of free day care. I personally feel like poo poo asking them for rides, when our financial situation is in a place where a car was fine. Yes I should have budgeted for the car. I'll argue all day about the car I got, but I thought I'd just get poo poo on for saying "hey this is going in the budget, that's that", so that's why I didn't do it. That's my own shortcoming, and I'll take an alternative approach in the future.

Another note on defensiveness: it's not a very good excuse, but it's been a tough few weeks. We've been so busy that I haven't had an opportunity to unwind and just hang out with my wife and kid. I need that.

As far as taxi rides vs a second car: I don't feel like that's a fair question. If my bike gets a flat I'm not going to call a taxi, and the same is true if there's 3 feet of snow. It changes the dynamics and decision making quite a bit. Wanted to throw my opinion on that in there.

Yes I will post the budgets. It won't be fun, but I'll do so. End of September.

• Locked thread