Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tsob posted:

I think that's a bad analogy because someone who can disintegrate dinosaurs might not have any dinosaurs around to disintegrate and thus never know he has a power to do so, but that power is still complete in and of itself regardless even if unusable. Someone who can pass on a quirk is, to me, more like someone who has eyes but doesn't have any optic nerves. Not a non-functional optic nerve mind, just none at all. To put it another way, the guy who can disintegrate dinosaurs is just missing an external element to make his powers complete/usable, where the guy who can pass on quirks is missing an internal biological element to make it complete. Sure, it's possible in reality. A story isn't reality though, and works on different rules. And to me, having someone whose only quirk is the ability to pass on a quirk and nothing more is just contrived in conjunction with the rest of the backstory.

It's actually far more realistic, from a genetic point of view, for people to have random or "incomplete" quirks that may never manifest and disappear from the gene pool within one generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might has already been kinda irresponsible for not explaining what Midoriya was getting himself into.

He didn't tell him he was going to have to deal with destroying his body until he figured the power out, he didn't tell him that "oh yeah, there's this villain who is like literal quirk hitler who is 150 years old and killed my predecessor and nearly killed me and you'll prolly have to fight him...without me because I'll be dead", nevermind if giving away OfA kills you or otherwise saps your lifespan.

Even All For One was some major player in the deaths of each previous holder at BEST each person has lasted maybe 15 years with the quirk.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fabricated posted:

All Might has already been kinda irresponsible for not explaining what Midoriya was getting himself into.

He didn't tell him he was going to have to deal with destroying his body until he figured the power out, he didn't tell him that "oh yeah, there's this villain who is like literal quirk hitler who is 150 years old and killed my predecessor and nearly killed me and you'll prolly have to fight him...without me because I'll be dead", nevermind if giving away OfA kills you or otherwise saps your lifespan.

Even All For One was some major player in the deaths of each previous holder at BEST each person has lasted maybe 15 years with the quirk.

All Might thought that villain was dead. And he never had the body destroying issue. He's a pretty lousy teacher though.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

literal quirk hitler

Well poo poo, found what to name my band now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Wasn't it just some other random villain who almost killed All Might (Venom Chainsaw or whatever)? Don't know if it's been mentioned that he has some connection to All for One.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No, Deku suggested that and All Might was like "dude I wouldn't get chumped by a loser like him!"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eej posted:

It's actually far more realistic, from a genetic point of view, for people to have random or "incomplete" quirks that may never manifest and disappear from the gene pool within one generation.
It would be even more realistic for a lot of the quirks to be "you have cancer."

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Holy gently caress I'm gonna miss All Might.
Guys, hold me.
:smithicide:

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
For all we know the 'good' brothers quirk would have transformed when transferred to someone with a quirk, by combining into a new quirk that could be passed on much like One for All (just without the synergy that makes One for All so effective). It's not necessarily a useless quirk for anyone but the first owner.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 21, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

tsob posted:

It annoys me that someone had what is basically a vestigial quirk in the very first generation born with them. The ability to pass on a quirk when you have no quirk beyond that to pass on is completely useless on it's own and only has worth when mixed with something else. Which coincidentally happened for reasons the author didn't clarify beyond "his brother did it for some reason or other". It feels like Horikoshi wasn't actually able to come up with a good explanation for it, at least in time if he had to come up with it in the last week or three, and just kind of bodged it - possibly to shore it up later if he thinks of something better in the meantime.

Why would All Might know the exact reasoning behind it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Green Intern posted:

Why would All Might know the exact reasoning behind it?

Probably because all along the line, the predecessor figured out a little bit, and told their successor?

And besides, if this is Horoshiki aping Western comics, you *know* villainous monologues were involved with each and every time OfA and AfO clashed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zeruel posted:

Holy gently caress I'm gonna miss All Might.
Guys, hold me.
:smithicide:

He'll hang out in lil spirit ball form after he dies.

Turns out MHA was a shaman king reboot all along.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably because all along the line, the predecessor figured out a little bit, and told their successor?

And besides, if this is Horoshiki aping Western comics, you *know* villainous monologues were involved with each and every time OfA and AfO clashed.

Well, even if the original brother knew the full story via villainous monologue, that doesn't mean he necessarily passed it along. Heck, even in the current generation we can see All Might bbeing reluctant to tell Midoriya everything he needs to know.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:unsmith: One thing not remarked upon is that this means Endeavor is not the BBEG. He is likely not even associated with him since his solution to his power limitations was find the right woman with the right quirk and bang out kids until one hits the jackpot. So he is probably just a douchebag dad.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

:unsmith: One thing not remarked upon is that this means Endeavor is not the BBEG. He is likely not even associated with him since his solution to his power limitations was find the right woman with the right quirk and bang out kids until one hits the jackpot. So he is probably just a douchebag dad.
...was that ever in question?

Also, "just" a douchebag dad is giving him too much credit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

Oh man, I didn't even consider what Endeavor would do if he knew about All For One. I could see him cutting a deal with AFO or something if it meant getting a power to let him "beat" All Might. Though, then again, while he's an abusive rapist as far as we've seen he's stuck to mostly legal methods of trying to be the "best" hero, so maybe he wouldn't. I'm not putting it past him, at any rate, though he almost certainly has no connections to AFO yet at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nihilarian posted:

...was that ever in question?

Also, "just" a douchebag dad is giving him too much credit.

Yeah having a child just because he hated being second fiddle elevates him past "douchebag" into "borderline psycho"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He'll also likely be an antagonist at some point anyway since he's pretty much the embodiment of everything wrong with the hero system.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

He'll also likely be an antagonist at some point anyway since he's pretty much the embodiment of everything wrong with the hero system.

Yeah, even if he never "stoops" to working with AFO or something, the guy's definitely not done being an antagonist. Sooner or later he's going to have to be knocked down a peg or at least shown up and disgraced.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

I imagine that would gently caress up Todoroki a bit considering he has at least attempted to reconnect with both of his parents. Like they've made some attempt to show that regardless if he's a psychopathic wife and child beater (and plausible marital rapist) he's at least good at his job and doesn't blow up civilians if they're "acceptable casualties" or whatever. Nowadays I don't think that would make up for the former in the eyes of the readers but there's the implication of some spark of decency or duty in there.

If we go down the road of really digging into Endeavor's feud and being a hosed up person in general, I imagine we'll get some tearful apology or other mea culpa from Endeavor after some awful event or another.

I suppose they could kill him off and hope that redeems him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe he could realize that uncontrolled ambition leads to the dark side...nahhh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Proof that this comic is actually written and drawn by Mineta.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Proof that this comic is actually written and drawn by Mineta.

Ehhh...I wonder why Mineta gets so many appearances compared to everyone else at this point all things considered. It's also a little weird that at a school this obsessed with heroics and the image of being a hero that the teachers aren't really doing anything about his personality. Hell, even with Bakugou in the festival they didn't let him give up his medal and instead tied him to a post, slapped a muzzle on him and went "Yeup, this is totally a-okay!" Is this just a japanese thing that gets lost in translation, or a typical "boys will be boys" attitude?

quickedit: Also what the hell is the big Sugar guy's quirk? Did that get explained anywhere so far???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's because this is a comic for young boys.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Hell, even with Bakugou in the festival they didn't let him give up his medal and instead tied him to a post, slapped a muzzle on him and went "Yeup, this is totally a-okay!" Is this just a japanese thing that gets lost in translation, or a typical "boys will be boys" attitude?

It's a joke in a childs comic you weirdo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Aizawa shut down Bakugou the instant he started his poo poo with Midoria in class, so they've dealt with it when it counted...

Except for all might during the battle test

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
All Might has a record of not having the greatest judgment when it comes to Midoriya being a hotheaded idiot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Besides, can you blame Mineta? Look at those jacks. How can Horikoshi get away with that in a kid's comic?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Besides, can you blame Mineta? Look at those jacks.

Actually Mineta appears to not consider Jiro attractive. Given that she stabbed him in the eye with them because she was the only girl he did not mention when running down how attractive his classmates were. (He even mentioned the Invisible girl even.)

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
if an anime perv is not creeping on a specific girl, it's because he has a crush on her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one thing that the comic hasn't really convinced me of is how the more "corrupt" hero system is actively harmful. From what we have seen it has drastically reduced crime, and we haven't been shown examples of "hero brutality" or what have you. Like, yeah, we saw heroes hesitating to fight that mud villain in the first chapter, but being cowardly certainly isn't a crime or actively hurting anyone (compared to if the heroes weren't there in the first place, anyway).

Regarding Endeavor, I think it's important to distinguish between what kind of person he "objectively" is based upon what he's done, and how the comic wants us to view him. While we may be aware that what he did with Todoroki's mom is super awful and more or less rape, the comic is clearly portraying him as "guy who is an rear end in a top hat but not explicitly evil", with stuff like Todoroki trying to reconnect with/learn from his dad supporting this. It's important to remember that the author can choose what to show us; if he had wanted us to view Endeavor as an evil future-villain, he almost certainly would have chosen to show him doing some corrupt/evil stuff other than the thing with Todoroki.

(All this being said, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he does choose to make him a villain later; I'm just not seeing enough evidence towards it right now.)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Giving Todoroki's attempt to "Reconnect" with his dad a little too much weight, I think.

Todoroki hasn't forgiven his father and (speaking realistically) probably never will; he's just realized Endeavor is someone he can learn from even if he hates him. "[He's] a convicted murderer who gives sound financial advice," to quote a movie.

Humanizing Endeavor doesn't preclude him from being evil either. It just mean's he's a complicated human being, like most of us are.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

The one thing that the comic hasn't really convinced me of is how the more "corrupt" hero system is actively harmful. From what we have seen it has drastically reduced crime, and we haven't been shown examples of "hero brutality" or what have you. Like, yeah, we saw heroes hesitating to fight that mud villain in the first chapter, but being cowardly certainly isn't a crime or actively hurting anyone (compared to if the heroes weren't there in the first place, anyway).

Regarding Endeavor, I think it's important to distinguish between what kind of person he "objectively" is based upon what he's done, and how the comic wants us to view him. While we may be aware that what he did with Todoroki's mom is super awful and more or less rape, the comic is clearly portraying him as "guy who is an rear end in a top hat but not explicitly evil", with stuff like Todoroki trying to reconnect with/learn from his dad supporting this. It's important to remember that the author can choose what to show us; if he had wanted us to view Endeavor as an evil future-villain, he almost certainly would have chosen to show him doing some corrupt/evil stuff other than the thing with Todoroki.

(All this being said, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he does choose to make him a villain later; I'm just not seeing enough evidence towards it right now.)

The comic hasn't attempted to make us like Endeavor, either; he's been portrayed as scum thoroughly pretty much since we got to know him. Even after Shoto chose to work with him, he was dickish and menacing during the Nomou attack and he's getting credit for taking out Stain when he didn't do anything there; I'm pretty sure the real heroes making him look better publicly and not getting anything for it themselves isn't supposed to endear us to him. He hasn't gotten an ounce of positivity since we learned what he did, and I don't expect that to change.

As for the hero system reducing crime, well, most of what we've been told is that it's actually All Might who's had the biggest impact, which is why it's so important that he has a successor; he wants a new "Symbol of Peace" to keep villains from increasing their activity and running roughshod over people again. The system in general is... Well, it definitely has problems, though the extent of them is hard to see because our primary voices on that have been rather biased.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The hero system is kind of a bandaid on a wound. Society went through upheaval when quirks showed up, the authorities likely accepted vigilantism from citizens or deputized them, then it pretty much went from there. The police stuck to their guns about not using quirks since quirks became heavily regulated and they didn't want to be THAT far above the law.

The police can arrest/incarcerate/employ lethal force, heroes can use their quirks to capture/subdue dangerous quirk users.

Like we've generally seen the best of the best in action- the teachers are supposed to be exemplary heroes. What we've seen of the day-to-day heroes are basically well-meaning but ineffective, or half-asses, or people trying to steal work from eachother while hocking junk on TV.

They really should've just rolled heroes into the police when people weren't going nuts.

E: I guess it's a Japanese culture or "gently caress it, it's for the story" thing, but if I was Todoroki I would've dropped a dime on him to the media in an instant.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 22, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

It's a joke in a childs comic you weirdo

I have never read a western childrens comic where a dude screamed about how his dick was hard while staring through a "shawshank rear end in a top hat" on his 15 year old classmates undressing while describing their bodies. That's why I was asking if it's a cultural thing.

Roland Jones posted:

Even after Shoto chose to work with him, he was dickish and menacing during the Nomou attack and he's getting credit for taking out Stain when he didn't do anything there; I'm pretty sure the real heroes making him look better publicly and not getting anything for it themselves isn't supposed to endear us to him.

I think nobody actually gave him a choice in that matter. Scruff Mcgruff probably gave credit to Endeavor since he was the only pro superhero at the scene that could possibly take down someone like him; He probably took down one Nomu by himself, fought the flying one and muscle one at once, and was involved with taking out the other two. They probably used Endeavor as their scapegoat to keep the kids out of trouble because there's literally no other big name hero they can give credit to. The stupid face he's pulling in the newspaper seems to hint he is a little pissed at the credit he got for it.

To give him credit he sent all his sidekicks off to help his son the second he had the situation under control. He's a pretty poo poo dad but he seems to care, even a little bit.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I have never read a western childrens comic where a dude screamed about how his dick was hard while staring through a "shawshank rear end in a top hat" on his 15 year old classmates undressing while describing their bodies. That's why I was asking if it's a cultural thing.

They're called teen romcom movies you weirdo

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The flashback with the protesters reminded me of X-Men. Did anyone else get that vibe?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Allarion posted:

Yeah. What is this sudden surge of people who act like they've never heard of comedic license before?

Unrelated, but does anyone else feel like Weekend at Bernie's is encouraging necrophilia? It's very problematic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

Are male teenage romcoms really that bad? I've never watched the lovely dude bro ones, just ones like Clueless.

Vengarr posted:

Yeah. What is this sudden surge of people who act like they've never heard of comedic license before?

Unrelated, but does anyone else feel like Weekend at Bernie's is encouraging necrophilia? It's very problematic
Maybe it's because you can only pull the comedic license excuse when it's actually funny and not a sad, overdone gag that's been done almost every single time that character is on screen? It's just the same poo poo, different girl.

Also can't comment on the Weekend at Bernies thing, never watched it. Now, if Midoriya starts hauling around All Might's dead body with a hand up his rear end like a puppet to convince other people he's still alive to fight, well, I'll let you know when we get there.