Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Are there any other names for the Thesz Press? Because I seem to recall he called it the Cat Leap while he was still wrestling.

I've heard it called a Vertical Body Press. And Chris Adams definitely called it the Superkick.

And hell, the superkick wasn't even Shawn's finisher when he broke away from Jannetty. It was a set up to his finishers, which were the Teardrop Suplex at first, then a piledriver. Haku on the other hand, used it as a finisher.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There's very little I remember of Bret as champ between losing it to Yokozuna and losing it to Michaels. As a kid I mostly remembered him because he gave away his sunglasses.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember him tapping out Waylon Mercy, thereby ruining the one good thing 1995 WWF actually had.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I seem to remember Bret also mentioning how he had to maintain the normal schedule in the build up to WM12 and the Iron Man match, whereas Shawn had a bunch of time off to train, build stamina, and relax.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
WHAT IS THE GREATEST RIC FLAIR MATCH

OF

ALL

TIME

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rumble 92

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

OF

ALL

TIME

vs steamboat in new orleans clash of champions

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

OF

ALL

TIME
Clash of the Champions VI

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Vs Terry Funk, Clash IX.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

vs Hulk Hogan in a Yappapi Strap Match at Uncensored 2000

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

NickRoweFillea posted:

OF

ALL

TIME

It's this one.

minoru suzuki posted:

vs steamboat in new orleans clash of champions

St Evan Echoes posted:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

This is the correct opinion.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
here's the match btw in case you've never seen it http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl...champions_sport

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I liked Chi-Town Rumble better, tbh

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I remember him tapping out Waylon Mercy, thereby ruining the one good thing 1995 WWF actually had.

Nah, that didn't ruin Mercy. Spivey just physically could not go any more. He debuted at the end of June, was over enough to wrestle Bret in August (and only Bret and Savio Vega, of all people, had televised wins over him), and was out of wrestling for good in October.

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice
I checked out of wrestling during the Attitude Era (probably right at the moment the Undertaker came back as a biker), and just came back last year. I've read that Cena started as a heel then slowly became the apple-dough we all know and boo. When was the last time that he was an out-and-out full-on heel? Not counting the time that he let all of his teammates get beaten up around Survivor Series last year. He was somewhat popular, so when exactly did the fans start to turn on him?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

jred250 posted:

I checked out of wrestling during the Attitude Era (probably right at the moment the Undertaker came back as a biker), and just came back last year. I've read that Cena started as a heel then slowly became the apple-dough we all know and boo. When was the last time that he was an out-and-out full-on heel? Not counting the time that he let all of his teammates get beaten up around Survivor Series last year. He was somewhat popular, so when exactly did the fans start to turn on him?

Cena was last considered an actual heel in 2003 or so, shortly after he debuted. Once he turned face, he's always been face, even if you could make arguments about one period of time or another. And he already started getting hate in 2005, when he went to Raw. He was facing people that the fans liked way more, like Jericho and Angle, and was seen by many to have been pushed too high, too fast. Then he feuded with Edge, RVD, Shawn Michaels... All people liked way more. The hate has fluctuated over the years, with Cena having moments that most people loved, like his surprise return at a Royal Rumble like four or six months ahead of schedule after surgery, but he's always been made to be a t-shirt sellin' babyface who the kids love.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
He turned face in late 2003. Fans (read: adult men) turned on him in late 05 when he was really underwhelming as the new Face of the Company. His promos were really bad and his matches were hit or miss. He was going over guys that were beloved like Jericho and Angle and was extremely overexposed both in terms of in ring and visibility. He was far from the Big Match John we know today, but it was the experience he got in late 05 and 06 that got him the experience he needed to start delivering. His 2007 is fantastic and I'd recommend watching his matches with Umaga, Shawn Michaels and The Great Khali from that year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was Cena actually any good as a heel? Every smark wants him to turn these days, but I can't recall him doing anything memorable in his original heel run. Would his Vince-filtered promos even be any better if they were directed to faces instead of heels?

The whole "turn Cena heel" thing just strikes me as chasing a windmill. Not because WWE would never do it, but because I'm not convinced he would be good at it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cena was a totally different character when he was heel. He was good at it and it's what got him over in the first place. It's all very dated though he couldn't just go back to scrappy white rapper today.

I think John Cena is talented enough to turn his back on the fans I'm just not holding my breath on it. They won't turn him until they have his replacement and they won't replace him until he's done.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wasn't Cena pretty much roundly cheered in his heel run?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I found some footage online of Green Lantern Fan trying to get at Lawler at an NWA show in 1994. What was the story with that?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't want Cena to turn heel, I just want him to turn interesting.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Have him work like Tanahashi against other faces while still technically staying face.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I Before E posted:

Have him work like Tanahashi against other faces while still technically staying face.

Wasn't his match and feud against DBryan basically that? Ruthless, slightly heelish top face against the underdog face contender?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cena was pretty much wrestling heel at SummerSlam too.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

I found some footage online of Green Lantern Fan trying to get at Lawler at an NWA show in 1994. What was the story with that?

I'm going to go with "he's an insufferable autist who takes wrestling way too seriously" and assume that's the majority of the explanation

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cena would be a great heel, you can tell because he's awesome at turning on a dime when the crowd is almost uniformly against him. Watch him at One Night Stand 2006 against RVD for the title.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

I don't want Cena to turn heel, I just want him to turn interesting.

I find the work of the best wrestler on the planet interesting.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cena shouldn't turn heel until the new No 1 Kids Superhero Babyface, Bayley, is in position.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I find the work of the best wrestler on the planet interesting.
Only second best. Seth Rollins is objectively the best. - PWI500, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I think a heel turn for Cena should include a transformation into the anti-thesis of whatever his gimmick is now. And I have no idea how that would work. Suit-wearing serious/boring Cena? Chickenshit Cena? Darkside Cena? Those don't sound right.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
if Cena did his current gimmick except against faces it would be universally lauded

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Guys you like scoops? Then have I got a scoop for you, according to new reports from my exclusive informants, "John Cena sucks." Hot drat this'll get me the front page of this rag for sure this time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Guys you like scoops? Then have I got a scoop for you, according to new reports from my exclusive informants, "John Cena sucks." Hot drat this'll get me the front page of this rag for sure this time.

You should report for sheet sandwich

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I already reported this 11 years ago.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Whoa whoa whoa stop the presses everyone. New reports are coming in that say, and I'm quoting directly here, "Let's go Cena". Wow what a day, don't think I've ever seen a country so divided.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Please apologise to Gavok

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Name a dirtsheet.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The discussion of the WWE Wellness Policy in the NXT thread made me think of something:

When was the last time someone actually got popped for PED's (as opposed to Bourne and his synthetic pot) and who was it?